• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Since there's been some talk about redesigns, I figured I would take a shot redesigning Tiny! I went to more of her 64 look but with some changes. I envisioned with this version she would be shorter than Dixie and Diddy cause if I'm remembering right she was taller even in 64.

I was thinking of trying Candy next, but I'm not sure where to start lol.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Parallel_Falchion Parallel_Falchion
Okay, I've updated the OP with your request and I plan to add more, based on everyone's suggestions as well:
The Counterpoint Collection
Here's some things to keep in mind regarding the recent events of Smash Ultimate. As time passes more things to consider will be added. Let's begin:
  • With the overhaul of Final Smashes and some attacks, fans spotted changes to Diddy Kong, one of those being an altered jab. His original sequence in Brawl was a set of 2 slaps, a kick and then an Infinite Jab that has him wag his tail. However in SSB4, Diddy was able to perform the first 3 hits (Slap, Slap, Kick) without transitioning to his Infinite if you held the A Button. In SSBU, we're seeing him do a new kick after the same slaps. Some say this points to a Dixie Echo, because his tail attack is removed and it brings cohesion between him and a potential Echo, but some things are being overlooked:
    • 1) Because we haven't seen the tail attack, many assume it's gone. We have no gameplay vids to go off of, so we don't know what its fate is. It may be there and we just haven't seen it, or it may be gone.
    • 2) Diddy withholding his Infinite Jab was present in Smash 4, along with other Infinite Jabbers such as Captain Falcon. The video could be easily showing off his Gentleman Jab and not the Infinite.
    • 3) There's currently as of 8/31/2018 no gameplay footage of Diddy fighting besides the Character Showcase. Not at E3, the recent Directs nor the Tournament videos recently uploaded to YouTube. We're looking at inconclusive videos and trying to guess what Dixie's fate is. Sadly, when it comes to whether or not Diddy has an Infinite, nobody can say until we get gameplay footage of him or at least an account of someone who's played as him. Why's his kick different? We currently don't know; the animation's different but it serves the same purpose as the old one. We need more data.
I'm open to feedback and critiques from everyone.

Hm, I read something about that in the big dicussion thread. It don't seems a big problem.
Someone saw that kind of videos with a moveset changed to another character? 'All characters doing the Bayonetta taunts' and things like that. Some programming/animation tool make it possible and and the bizarre animations can be corrected in a reasonable short time. Porting a DK move for Dixie is not a very big problem.
And I really think that the Smash Team uses something like that. Look at Pichu, the 3 Links or the rest of 'clonesque' fighters. Do you really think that all of them were created from a single scratch? They are modified versions of another fighters, some of them with different proportions.
Eh, fair enough. It won't be an easy copy/paste but I agree it won't be hard to do. A good amount of tweaks are required, as the poses won't match in size, shape and body position but if they do give her DK's Up B it won't be hard.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Hey fam! I made some confirmed and potential newcomer palette swaps and here’s the one for Dixie Kong. Let me know what you think!

DD9562CA-3A92-480D-8E70-D082D6B081F0.png

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Hey fam! I made some confirmed and potential newcomer palette swaps and here’s the one for Dixie Kong. Let me know what you think!

View attachment 160859
Very pretty! I love the one that's based on Tiny and the purple color from Dkc 2 coincidentally looks like an reverse color swap of Shantae's outfit and hair.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Random idea, Dixie gets the pin added back to her hat but instead of a Rare one, by default it's a DK symbol and her alts change it up.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
So do you think Dixie Kong will be revealed in the direct which is rumoured to be on September 12/13, 2018? Last year we had a Nindie Direct on August 28 an then a proper Direct two weeks later. I hope Dixie gets confirmed as playable character, so that we don't have to worry anymore.

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
So do you think Dixie Kong will be revealed in the direct which is rumoured to be on September 12/13, 2018? Last year we had a Nindie Direct on August 28 an then a proper Direct two weeks later. I hope Dixie gets confirmed as playable character, so that we don't have to worry anymore.
if she not IN the next..i will pray for the next one.

because i supose sakurai will only put 1 newcomer trailer and thats it but i may ( i sure hope) be wrong and we got some sakurai face and new content than a newcomer trailer :D

Bodacious66

Smash Cadet
if she not IN the next..i will pray for the next one.

because i supose sakurai will only put 1 newcomer trailer and thats it but i may ( i sure hope) be wrong and we got some sakurai face and new content than a newcomer trailer :D
My best guess is there will be one more big smash focused direct and if Dixie isn't revealed there she's not getting in.

The fact that a relevant Nintendo character that was playable in 2 of the top 10 best selling SNES games has a serious possibility of not being in smash at all makes no sense to me but I'm honestly expecting it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If there's a Direct, and if there's Smash info, it'll now be a far more likely moment than ever. And I say this only because I believe in a sort of "pattern". Dark Samus came after Ridley as well, so I sort of expect Dixie to come after King K.Rool.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
The fake leaked pictures definitely took some effort, but i always find it funny that we applaud that whenever it happens. Like, if you stop and think about it, someone wasted so much of their time creating fake renders of these characters just to get 15 minutes of fame, knowing full well that scrutiny alone would probably debunk them, and that any official information that goes against them would likewise render them exposed. I mean, the game is only a few months away, why waste so much time? Especially because what they're ultimately putting all that effort into is deception lol. Seems pretty silly.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
While I don't think we'll get a direct until October, I do think Dixie has a good shot of getting shown off next direct.
I assume we'll see at least two new echoes. Hopefully she'll be one of them (assuming they don't make her a unique character).

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
While I expect if Dixie gets in at all she will be an echo but part of me wants her to be a fullblown newcomer. Just to see the backlash online against DKC haters. "WHAT!? 2 DK Characters back to back!?" "ANOTHER DK character. We have limited amount of slots here and they WASTED it on DKC!? Where'z Waluigi!" You know those comments will be coming and I'll be sitting back enjoying all of it because DK is long overdue for more reps in Smash.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
While I expect if Dixie gets in at all she will be an echo but part of me wants her to be a fullblown newcomer. Just to see the backlash online against DKC haters. "WHAT!? 2 DK Characters back to back!?" "ANOTHER DK character. We have limited amount of slots here and they WASTED it on DKC!? Where'z Waluigi!" You know those comments will be coming and I'll be sitting back enjoying all of it because DK is long overdue for more reps in Smash.
This would indeed be glorious. Hope to see this manifesting really. Dixie as a fully unique newcomer would surely be a great blow to the haters.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Random thought but imo Diddy should of been added in Melee, K Rool Brawl, Dixie WiiU or something along those lines. I think it's kinda crazy we are just now getting more DK representation. Don't get me wrong I'm beyond greatful I'm just a bit baffled by the timing of it all. I'm happy the fandom stepped up and made as much noise as it did to get more representation in the game. Dixie has gotta be on the way too.
It's long overdue too!

StormC

Smash Hero
Diddy got screwed over in Melee because of complications with Rare and limited development time.

The DK series was in a bit of a lull during the Brawl era due to the buyout and Diddy wasn’t even in Jungle Beat; he was kept alive with spin-offs. Getting even Diddy was a bit of a miracle.

Dixie in Tropical Freeze probably wasn’t known to Sakurai during the Smash 4 design document and characters outside of Duck Hunt and Greninja were picked from games in the 3 years before the 2012 proposal, so K. Rool was equally toast.

Timing and corporate politics have been the bane of the DK series.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Diddy got screwed over in Melee because of complications with Rare and limited development time.

The DK series was in a bit of a lull during the Brawl era due to the buyout and Diddy wasn’t even in Jungle Beat; he was kept alive with spin-offs. Getting even Diddy was a bit of a miracle.

Dixie in Tropical Freeze probably wasn’t known to Sakurai during the Smash 4 design document and characters outside of Duck Hunt and Greninja were picked from games in the 3 years before the 2012 proposal, so K. Rool was equally toast.

Timing and corporate politics have been the bane of the DK series.
Wasn’t Dixie supposed to be in Brawl as well, in an Ice Climbers style pair up between Diddy and Dixie. Also Retro Studios May have been a big reason for why Dixie didn’t make it as that company seems mismanaged and their ability to communicate with Sakurai seems limited, like how we’re just now getting Dark Samus and how the Prime franchise didn’t get the best representation in any Smash title. I think you’re correct in doubting Sakurai’s knowledge of the project.

StormC

Smash Hero
Wasn’t Dixie supposed to be in Brawl as well, in an Ice Climbers style pair up between Diddy and Dixie. Also Retro Studios May have been a big reason for why Dixie didn’t make it as that company seems mismanaged and their ability to communicate with Sakurai seems limited, like how we’re just now getting Dark Samus and how the Prime franchise didn’t get the best representation in any Smash title. I think you’re correct in doubting Sakurai’s knowledge of the project.
That’s true about Dixie in Brawl, but it doesn’t seem like she was ever considered for her own slot.

As for Retro, the onus would fall onto Sakurai. Retro would have no idea who’s making what and when for Smash, so the lack of Prime representation is on him (although it did get a stage). Characters are rarely added if they don’t have a game out for the project proposal; Sakurai said if FE Awakening came out six months later than it did, Robin might not be in the game.

cybersai

Smash Ace
The scary thing is if Dixie doesn't get in the base roster, I don't think she'll be DLC.

DLC is usually reserved for big third party characters or other major characters they know will sell, as much as we want Dixie I don't think she has that kind of pull. It's either now or never...or we have to wait another 5+ years for the next Smash. Goddamn.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The scary thing is if Dixie doesn't get in the base roster, I don't think she'll be DLC.

DLC is usually reserved for big third party characters or other major characters they know will sell, as much as we want Dixie I don't think she has that kind of pull. It's either now or never...or we have to wait another 5+ years for the next Smash. Goddamn.
Maybe, maybe not.

See they seem quite bend on having either unique newcomers or Echoes this time. So what room leaves that for semi clones? Yeah Smash 4 didn’t have them outside of Roy, but that doesn’t mean there’s no chance of it happening.

After all, they’ve been a staple ever since Melee with Luigi.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I had a thought in my head today. Both DK and Diddy have had the match entrance by busting out of the barrel like before. It would be cool if DK, Diddy, and Dixie had their own unique entrances like how they enter the levels in Tropical Freeze. It'd be awesome to see something like that.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I had a thought in my head today. Both DK and Diddy have had the match entrance by busting out of the barrel like before. It would be cool if DK, Diddy, and Dixie had their own unique entrances like how they enter the levels in Tropical Freeze. It'd be awesome to see something like that.
Then DK needed to absolutely do that hilarious scream before he enters the level in Tropical Freeze. Cracks me up all the time.

Speaking of barrel entries, if Diddy gets his barrel changed to being the 'DD Barrel', then it's a VERY GOOD INDICATION that Dixie will also be playable. Otherwise, why change the DK Barrel at all if it's only for Diddy? Seems quite fitting with the thread title as well to bring this up yet again.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Yea she's part of the Forbidden 7. We know she was tied to Diddy but not sure in what fashion. Going by the old DKCs, you tag a kong in and out, so one likelihood is that's how they'd play, somewhat being a multi-character like Zelda/Sheik or Pokemon Trainer.

An ICs style seems unlikely due to how the old DKCs worked; sure you have a character mimicking the other, but for all intents and purposes the inactive Kong is in the background. Perhaps Dixie would share the same plane as PT until tagged in, letting Diddy switch to the background while you control Dixie. If that's indeed the case, they'd need enough differentiation to justify switching, otherwise you just have 2 characters with one moveset. I wish Sakurai went into detail about it.

StormC

Smash Hero
I feel like Diddy and Dixie were definitely meant to be an Ice Climbers duo with a down B switch. That’s more accurate to DKC2 than a Pokemon Trainer setup.

It would be pretty mindblowing considering how scarce references to DKC2 are in Smash. You have Bramble Blast, K. Rool’s blunderbuss, some trophies...that’s about it.

Ultimately I’m glad it didn’t work out that way because Diddy and Dixie are definitely important enough to be their own characters.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Yea she's part of the Forbidden 7. We know she was tied to Diddy but not sure in what fashion. Going by the old DKCs, you tag a kong in and out, so one likelihood is that's how they'd play, somewhat being a multi-character like Zelda/Sheik or Pokemon Trainer.

An ICs style seems unlikely due to how the old DKCs worked; sure you have a character mimicking the other, but for all intents and purposes the inactive Kong is in the background. Perhaps Dixie would share the same plane as PT until tagged in, letting Diddy switch to the background while you control Dixie. If that's indeed the case, they'd need enough differentiation to justify switching, otherwise you just have 2 characters with one moveset. I wish Sakurai went into detail about it.
I assume it would have worked like the ice climbers where they're both active on the field at the same time and they could both be hit, but only the kong in the lead would actually take damage and you could switch between them with down b.

I guess the big question is just whether or not they would have attacked together despite likely having different movesets

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
I feel like Diddy and Dixie were definitely meant to be an Ice Climbers duo with a down B switch. That’s more accurate to DKC2 than a Pokemon Trainer setup.

It would be pretty mindblowing considering how scarce references to DKC2 are in Smash. You have Bramble Blast, K. Rool’s blunderbuss, some trophies...that’s about it.
Sounds like it would have been too effective given how good Diddy is alone, I can only imagine how dangerous they would have been together.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sounds like it would have been too effective given how good Diddy is alone, I can only imagine how dangerous they would have been together.
Seeing how Ice Climbers where already dangerous as ****, and how Diddy is just 1 spot behind them, consider the Diddy and Dixie combo to be a heavy counter towards Brawl's Meta Knight.

Seriously, Brawl had issues.

However, since even Zelda and Sheik splitted up in Smash 4, it would've given us both Kongs as separate characters in the end anyway.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I can't wait to see Dixie's Ultimate render. DK's character art is the best it's ever been in the Smash series (he's always looked a bit "off" in Smash) and Diddy and ESPECIALLY K.Rool's character art look amazing! IMO both Diddy and K.Rool's character renders are the best there's ever been for those characters. I can't wait to see the pose they put Dixie in (not to mention that sweet sweet Dixie amiibo *drools* )

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

Ultimately I’m glad it didn’t work out that way because Diddy and Dixie are definitely important enough to be their own characters.
I assume it would have worked like the ice climbers where they're both active on the field at the same time and they could both be hit, but only the kong in the lead would actually take damage and you could switch between them with down b.

I guess the big question is just whether or not they would have attacked together despite likely having different movesets
What's the point of swapping them out if they play the same though? Nana takes damage and has her own HP, so if a Diddy/Dixie tagteam functions like the ICs and you can swap them, their opponent can and will make sure that both Kongs take a good beating to limit them as best they can, likely KOing the other before they're tagged in.

If they have the inactive Kong in the background like in the old games, they can't affect the fight and just remain passive until summoned or the active one gets KO'd. That keeps them from having the ICs "twice as strong" advantage and makes sure they're not too broken. If they're like the ICs, then their movesets have to be exactly the same with stats, attacks etc. If Sakurai was trying to recreate the DKC mechanic it'd be more logical to swap them in and out, like Zelda or Pokemon Trainer.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
I'm personally glad the Diddy/Dixie thing never came to be in Brawl, they're too important as individual characters to just be eternally bundled together. And it allows them to both be in as separate characters, assuming Dixie makes it in.

There's a decent chance she'll show up there, but only if the next Direct has a segment on Echo Fighters and isn't just one trailer for a unique newcomer.

Even in the event that she is unique, they're not going to have two DK newcomer trailers in a row.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I'm personally glad the Diddy/Dixie thing never came to be in Brawl, they're too important as individual characters to just be eternally bundled together. And it allows them to both be in as separate characters, assuming Dixie makes it in.
Honestly, "paired with Diddy" was one of her oldest hurdles. Back then it was seen as the only shot she'd ever have before the "LOL, Diddy Clone" mindset took hold, and the rest is ongoing/history. Ah well.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
It's Friday night and I'm getting drunk for my birthday! (Is this against the rules I wonder...?)

Dixie for Ultimate! Gonna go grab some beer. Have a good night all. We will see her any day now for sure.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

There's a decent chance she'll show up there, but only if the next Direct has a segment on Echo Fighters and isn't just one trailer for a unique newcomer.

Even in the event that she is unique, they're not going to have two DK newcomer trailers in a row.
they would've been split up in smash 4 and it all would've worked out though

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
The thing about dixie for me really is, if she was added, id want her to be added to diddy as a buddy moveset which is what was supposed to originally happen with them in the first place.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
On the Diddy/Dixie thing.

I imagined it working like a mix of Zelda/Sheik and Ice Climbers. Like Ice Climbers, they'd both be active at the same time and could be killed individually, but like Zelda/Sheik, they'd have different movesets and could be swapped between. I imagine their specials would be the same and would utilize both (because why tag them together otherwise), and like Ice Climbers, their recovery would be worsened if you lost the one in back, like if their up B was the monkey throw.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
On the Diddy/Dixie thing.

I imagined it working like a mix of Zelda/Sheik and Ice Climbers. Like Ice Climbers, they'd both be active at the same time and could be killed individually, but like Zelda/Sheik, they'd have different movesets and could be swapped between. I imagine their specials would be the same and would utilize both (because why tag them together otherwise), and like Ice Climbers, their recovery would be worsened if you lost the one in back, like if their up B was the monkey throw.
Wouldn't it be odd for them to be attacking differently if they're fighting at the same time though? Zelda and Sheik are yin-yang in moveset and playstyle, with one being Defensive and the other Offensive. If a Diddy/Dixie tagteam functions with swapping, you need enough of a difference to justify it. If they go the IC route, they need to be identical if not completely uniform, which undermines the need to swap them due to being the same; if they have different movesets, then them fighting at the same time puts a strain on the game's code, since they'll have different animations, attacks, damage values, hit/hurtboxes. To get around all of that you'd need to limit a kong like how Luma is. In that scenario one Kong has less animations, is easier to beat down, can't shield/dodge and has basic AI.

Top Bottom