• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
4. Ehh. I'm sorry, but Dixie does show up in popularity polls, especially those around 2015. Go back and check. No, she is not up there with Ridley and K. Rool, but she does pretty well.

5. Long history with Nintendo, co-star of the best game in the series, star and face of her own game, popular, relevant again thanks to Tropical Freeze (which is awesome). And no, she plays nothing like Diddy Kong. I won't go into details here, as it's the same arguments over and over again. Her hair could be implemented in such fun ways. I find it funny how you mentioned people came up with lots of ideas to make Chrom unique, yet you refuse to acknowledge Dixie's hair-based moveset potential. If you think she can only do one thing with her hair, then you are just blind.

EDIT: her being fresh and unique was the sole reason she was created as Diddy's partner in DCK2. So no, she's just not a "slightly" different Diddy.
Exactly! I agree with you on everything. She's nothing like Diddy Kong, other than the fact they have a relatively similar build. IMO she's more unique and cool than him. I wish people would understand that being the same height does not constitute an echo fighter. And also, as you said, during the Smash Ballot days, Dixie was EXTREMELY POPULAR. I think afterward it died down a bit, but in all honesty, I would say she was at least in Ridley-King K. Rool territory back in those days.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Not bad!! I like how you made her legs shorter and more gorilla-like. I could see this working, way better than what she currently is, which is pretty much a sex object/joke of a character... Desperately needs a redesign. I also tried my hand at redesigning Candy Kong the other day, and tried to make her more gorilla-like too, but I took a more extreme approach and really tried to push her as an action character, and a bit of a tough and strong female Kong, but still with some signature Candy elements (well, hair color and some outfit bits, heh)
View attachment 161364
Tried to make her unmistakably a gorilla, and I like it! Still femine, still looks like DK's girlfriend, but now she also looks like she can join him on the adventure for the fight! That was my goal anyway.
View attachment 161365

Also, I plan on drawing this version of her with Dixie sometime in the future, to really flesh out that relationship dynamic, because currently, Dixie is just way cooler than Candy, and Candy shouldn't be looked up to in any way for her... I want to change that.

As is, Dixie is the coolest female Kong, and perhaps female character in general next to Samus, from Nintendo.

Good concept. I like how you keep elements of the original Candy in the design so that she looks like Candy but brand new.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yknow what, can we just get this Kong to be a brand new character that replaces Candy? Would anyone be upset? lol.
I'd be upset. I'd miss her.

No, just kidding! I do think she is underrated, but I don't care too much for her, either way.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Exactly! I agree with you on everything. She's nothing like Diddy Kong, other than the fact they have a relatively similar build. IMO she's more unique and cool than him. I wish people would understand that being the same height does not constitute an echo fighter. And also, as you said, during the Smash Ballot days, Dixie was EXTREMELY POPULAR. I think afterward it died down a bit, but in all honesty, I would say she was at least in Ridley-King K. Rool territory back in those days.
I fully agree with this statement, I'm pretty sure most people actually want her to be an unique fighter but it might be unlikely considering that there's only going to be so many fully fleshed out newcomers and I would be very surprised if she's lucky enough to be part of that group. Most just believe that's mostly likely to happen which is why the idea of her being an echo is a very common subject(also some still believe Sakurai isn't crazy about Dkc even though he never stated this).

Only thing we can do is hope for the best for now.

StormC

Smash Hero
If she was in K. Rool territory, she would have been picked instead of him.

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
If she was in K. Rool territory, she would have been picked instead of him.
When I said she was in K. Rool territory, I was saying that she was in the ballpark as far as popularity went with Ridley and King K. Rool. I was trying to say that she had a big fanbase, because it seems people think her's isn't that big when it is. Also she could still get in, so it's not like they picked K. Rool over her.

StormC

Smash Hero
When I said she was in K. Rool territory, I was saying that she was in the ballpark as far as popularity went with Ridley and King K. Rool.
Ehhh but not really though? Given a generous definition of the term "ballpark."

She has a tenth of the votes K. Rool does on the Reddit poll.

She has less than half of the votes K. Rool does on the Tumblr poll.

On SourceGaming's poll she does a fair bit better but is still quite a ways down from K. Rool.

These are all from the ballot era. I don't think I've ever seen a ballot era poll where Dixie was in the top 10, while I don't think I've ever seen a ballot era poll where K. Rool wasn't top 10.

Dixie has a very real shot of being in... under certain circumstances that are controversial among several Dixie fans. You know which ones.

I'm just saying, Dixie definitely didn't lose to Dark Samus on the ballot.

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
I'm just saying, Dixie definitely didn't lose to Dark Samus on the ballot.
This is actually the reason I have still hope for her, there is no reasonable explanation, if she isn't in, but Dark Samus is.
Regarding Echo status I could see her get in as a semiclone, if they started her development as an echo of Diddy and got in semiclone territory while tweaking her moveset.
But planned as an unique fighter? I really don't see it either...

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
This is actually the reason I have still hope for her, there is no reasonable explanation, if she isn't in, but Dark Samus is.
Regarding Echo status I could see her get in as a semiclone, if they started her development as an echo of Diddy and got in semiclone territory while tweaking her moveset.
But planned as an unique fighter? I really don't see it either...
I'd honestly be surprised if Chrom was anywhere near her as well (I think? they were close on the Tumblr poll, Chrom might've won that, but other polls tend to have her much higher.), and Chrom got a bit more modification as far as Echoes went. So them being, to quote Sakurai, "popular choices", gives me a lot of hope for our girl.

Last edited:

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
I'd honestly be surprised if Chrom was anywhere near her as well (I think? they were close on the Tumblr poll, Chrom might've won that, but other polls tend to have her much higher.), and Chrom got a bit more modification as far as Echoes went. So them being, to quote Sakurai, "popular choices", gives me a lot of hope for our girl.
True, Chrom being a more popular choice than her would be strange, definetly not in the western world. The undetermined factor is Japan for me, I really can't estimate Fire Emblems popularity there, might be higher than DK.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I don't think every choice was due to the ballot. Some was just fan outcry, like with Ridley. I'm sure Sakurai heard the disappointed fans of Chrom so he put him in as an echo.

This what I think. Either Dixie is going to be an echo fighter, or she won't be in at all.

Why do I feel this way? Because of the newcomers we've seen so far. All the unique non-echoes are the absolute tipity top most requested characters or big name icons. Meanwhile, all the echoes are highly requested, but not as high as guys like K. Rool or Ridley.

Based on that I think Dixie will wind up as an echo. Disappointing for sure, as we all know she could be a unique fighter. But given the circumstances of "Everyone is Here" and the time constraints Sakurai had, I'd say echo Dixie is better than no Dixie.

Last edited:

paperosbronzo90

Smash Cadet
I think we shouldn't take the polls in high consideration. They give, for sure, a view of the most requested characters, but they don't represent the totality of the smash ballot voters .For example, I voted for Dixie in the ballot but I didn't in any other poll.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
The ballot is playing a large role in newcomers but I'm positive that's not the only factor. Inklings are the only one who weren't riding on the ballot like the other newcomers were. They have Wii U relevance as well as being popular (and making Nintendo history); Dixie making it in won't hinge solely on the ballot. She's relevant to the era of focus, has Nintendo history and is popular. Her factors individually aren't outstanding like K. Rool's or Inklings but when you consider all of them they're very good.

A good way to put it, is that her positive stats are strong across the board, like a well-rounded character that's above average compared to a character with a specific focus.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
I don't have the sources anymore, but I definitely saw polls where dixie was top 10, even top 5! That's mostly pre smash 4 and most of them were Japanese polls. Like P paperosbronzo90 said, not everyone is voting for their characters in every poll, I only voted for Dixie Kong and K.rool in the official ballot from Nintendo.
I think that Dixie is a highly requested character, but her fans aren't the most vocal ones.
Another reason could be that the popularity of the dk series in general went down after the rare buyout and no one really thought we would ever get a proper dk game again, I was honestly surprised when dkcr was announced and I think many others were as well. Now DK is back thanks to Retro Studios but still people think it's unlikely that DK gets high priority treatment in smash and so, many fans assumed only one dk character can get in, most chose k rool.
Wouldn't it be strange if he only put k.rool in but not Dixie? Even though she is a popular and relevant character (more than Dark samus...), even though she was kind of planned for Brawl? Even though Sakurai and his team had to do some research on k.rool and created his moveset with dkc2/3 references, then how could they ignore her???
:-)

Ghostwolf35

Smash Cadet
I think that Dixie is a highly requested character, but her fans aren't the most vocal ones.
I think so too, but she definitely isn't on K.Rool's level of popularity. There are still some other characters that are more popular than Dixie that aren't in the game yet, so if Sakurai is only basing it on the ballot, her unique fighter chances aren't that high. I think the only way she'd be put in as a unique fighter is if her combination of relevancy, history, and popularity makes her a priority for Sakurai to put in the game. Or if he could think of a great moveset for her, but not for some of the other characters above her in the ballot.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
I don't have the sources anymore, but I definitely saw polls where dixie was top 10, even top 5! That's mostly pre smash 4 and most of them were Japanese polls. Like P paperosbronzo90 said, not everyone is voting for their characters in every poll, I only voted for Dixie Kong and K.rool in the official ballot from Nintendo.
Another reason could be that the popularity of the dk series in general went down after the rare buyout and no one really thought we would ever get a proper dk game again, I was honestly surprised when dkcr was announced and I think many others were as well. Now DK is back thanks to Retro Studios but still people think it's unlikely that DK gets high priority treatment in smash and so, many fans assumed only one dk character can get in, most chose k rool.
Wouldn't it be strange if he only put k.rool in but not Dixie? Even though she is a popular and relevant character (more than Dark samus...), even though she was kind of planned for Brawl? Even though Sakurai and his team had to do some research on k.rool and created his moveset with dkc2/3 references, then how could they ignore her???
Well like many others say based on that "priority" it's understandable since it took a long time for Dkc to get more content(the departure with Rare and the meh spin offs DK got put him a lower position possibly), on the subject of Dixie, Rool's inclusion doesn't mean she's unable to get in but very likely if she does get in 90℅ of me believes she's fated to be an echo of Diddy. Still it would be better than just being a palette swap reference.

Strong DK

Smash Apprentice
Same here. You could add Dixie, Funky and Cranky and have the whole Tropical Freeze squad present, Funky New Mode included in his glorious Echo form, and my heart would still cry out for Lanky.

Truth to be told, I actually also really would like Rambi playable.

Yes, Rambi. Rhinos are my favorite animals, and he would have a awesome playstyle. Grabs and recovery might be troublesome, but still...
After Dixie, would be golden to get Lanky. Probably middle weight class and fastest of them. And longest reach in the game.
Klump as assist trophy to spam oranges

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
I've said this before, but Dixie REALLY just feels like the only Nintendo all-star missing from the roster at this point.
Other characters like Isaac and Skull Kid would definitely be fan-pleasers, but Dixie just feels essential for a game of Nintendo's biggest characters. She's gotta be there.

For some reason I'm still kinda skeptical that she'll be included. Maybe its because the DK series has been snubbed for so long in Smash Bros.

K.Rool makes me a little hopeful though. Lets just hope DK gets the same treatment Metroid is getting.

Last edited:

SimonferSmash

Smash Apprentice
At this point, she's either gonna be an echo or not be in at all since K Rool already was made to be completely unique.

I'd be just as satisfied if she was a fusion between Diddy while borrowing some traits from DK.

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
I seriously doubt Dixie was any lower on the ballot than Daisy, Dark Samus or even Chrom.

Dixie not being in at this point, there's no excuse.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
K.Rool makes me a little hopeful though. Lets just hope DK gets the same treatment Metroid is getting.
Yeah, that'd be good. Even if there's no new stage for them this go round, two newcomers will be worth it.

Yknow what, can we just get this Kong to be a brand new character that replaces Candy? Would anyone be upset? lol.
I wouldn't mind, mostly because a fan could actually officially get to contribute a new element to the series.

Last edited:

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Well tbf don't think a ton of folks are gonna mourn the loss of Rumble Falls.
Oh believe me I hated that stage. It just sucks that DK's stage representation just went down by 2 and we didn't get anything to replace the lost stages.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Luckily Sakurai listens to fan wishes and criticisms, so hopefully he made up for DK's lack of content by giving us 2 characters.

What would be even better, is if he pushed himself even further to give us 2 unique characters. He's been going beyond the limit already and I commend him, but it would be beyond outstanding if he just pushes a bit further and gives us a unique or Semi-Clone Dixie.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Luckily Sakurai listens to fan wishes and criticisms, so hopefully he made up for DK's lack of content by giving us 2 characters.

What would be even better, is if he pushed himself even further to give us 2 unique characters. He's been going beyond the limit already and I commend him, but it would be beyond outstanding if he just pushes a bit further and gives us a unique or Semi-Clone Dixie.
It definitely would be amazing, plus if sakurai really wanted to make her a clone she would probably be in by now. That's probably the most disappointing aspect of her potentially being a clone, we've had this massive wait for this iconic character and her just amounting to a clone would suck.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
It would be strange if they ignored her but Sakurai has done all sorts of strange things before.

I have no reason to think she won't make it as at least an echo and I'd much rather have that than nothing, buuuuuut, you never know.

Personally the moment they announced echo fighters as a thing, I expected this. Maybe Sakurai will blow my expectations away again... not counting on it.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
It would be strange if they ignored her but Sakurai has done all sorts of strange things before.

I have no reason to think she won't make it as at least an echo and I'd much rather have that than nothing, buuuuuut, you never know.

Personally the moment they announced echo fighters as a thing, I expected this. Maybe Sakurai will blow my expectations away again... not counting on it.
If she's an echo I don't understand why they haven't just gotten it over with and announced it, she's more popular than daisy, chrom or dark samus anyway. I just want this wait to be over tbh.

cybersai

Smash Ace
If Dixie isn't in the next Smash direct at all, echo or otherwise, then I'd start getting worried. Dark Samus was shown the direct after Ridley.

If Dixie isn't in the next one I'd get concerned.

StormC

Smash Hero
If Dixie isn't in the next Smash direct at all, echo or otherwise, then I'd start getting worried. Dark Samus was shown the direct after Ridley.

If she's an echo I don't understand why they haven't just gotten it over with and announced it, she's more popular than daisy, chrom or dark samus anyway. I just want this wait to be over tbh.
I think the last echoes will be saved for a big blowout in the last Smash Direct (late October/early November). Not expecting any in the inevitable General Direct this month.

cybersai

Smash Ace
I think the last echoes will be saved for a big blowout in the last Smash Direct (late October/early November). Not expecting any in the inevitable General Direct this month.
I'm thinking there are only 4 echoes left. There's been 4 newcomers, and exactly 4 echoes so far. My guess is there will be an equal amount of newcomers or echoes.

If there's 8 total newcomers, there will be 4 more echoes. Other heavily speculated echoes are Isabelle, Shadow and Ken. Dixie could be one of the 4. I can't think of anyone else more likely, bar the small chance of Impa but she's not as requested.

GravelerChamp60

Smash Apprentice

I think they are saving the best Echo's for last. I mean Daisy was a good pick to introduce the hype for the concept of Echo's, but out of all the possible echo's as of now, Shadow, Ken, Dixie, and Isabelle would pick up the most hype before the game releases.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
After Dixie, would be golden to get Lanky. Probably middle weight class and fastest of them. And longest reach in the game.
Klump as assist trophy to spam oranges
Lanky the fastest? Only if he handstands maybe. He was quite slow in DK64, definitely not faster than Diddy. Not sure about DK himself, but from memory I recall him being slower, and Chunky being the slowest.

Also, Impa is my most wanted Echo. I would say Dixie, but I would be more upset about Dixie being a Echo than Impa.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
No point being a supporter. All evidence seems to indiciate along with Geno, Isabelle, Shadow and Skull Kid that she's lock to get in.

Anyways she'd be nice addition. Another rep for DK.

Strong DK

Smash Apprentice
Lanky the fastest? Only if he handstands maybe. He was quite slow in DK64, definitely not faster than Diddy. Not sure about DK himself, but from memory I recall him being slower, and Chunky being the slowest.

Also, Impa is my most wanted Echo. I would say Dixie, but I would be more upset about Dixie being a Echo than Impa.
Hmm, i think you are right. Lanky is only faster when handstanding. Oh well, just give lanky handstand sprinting :D
Had to say i only liked lanky of the new kongs in DK64. Tiny was meh and Chunky was a waste of time (you can shoot me now). I think DK could just do everything Chunky does, no need for two brute force apes. Triangle was fun, that i'll give Chunky :D

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
We can discuss popularity all we want, but the important decisions have already been made years ago regarding her status.

I think what's important to notice relating to Dixie's inclusion is what they aren't showing us about Diddy.
  • Why wouldn't they show his Final Smash in the E3 Direct when it's a lock to have been changed? Could it be because his new Final Smash is built to be shared between him and Dixie, and revealing it would be a giveaway?
  • Why were we shown a new Diddy jab (gentleman or otherwise) but his changes weren't mentioned in the E3 Direct?
  • Why haven't we seen Diddy's pink alt yet? It's a fairly important one.
It feels to me that Diddy has received some fair medium-level changes on par with Samus, Wario, and a few other characters. Why are we not hearing about them? Are these changes being downplayed by Sakurai? Why?

It just all seems strange.

StormC

Smash Hero
Why wouldn't they show his Final Smash in the E3 Direct when it's a lock to have been changed? Could it be because his new Final Smash is built to be shared between him and Dixie, and revealing it would be a giveaway?
My feeling is Diddy and Dixie are both using Rambi for their Final Smash and when Dixie is announced, the Final Smash will be as well.

Hopefully it's closer to the Rare design than the Retro one...

You vs. the rhino she tells you not to worry about.

Last edited:
Top Bottom