• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
So I’ve noticed that DK has a lack of music.. but has anyone noticed how robbed gen 2 and 3 were when it came to Pokémon music?

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Wouldn't it be odd for them to be attacking differently if they're fighting at the same time though? Zelda and Sheik are yin-yang in moveset and playstyle, with one being Defensive and the other Offensive. If a Diddy/Dixie tagteam functions with swapping, you need enough of a difference to justify it. If they go the IC route, they need to be identical if not completely uniform, which undermines the need to swap them due to being the same; if they have different movesets, then them fighting at the same time puts a strain on the game's code, since they'll have different animations, attacks, damage values, hit/hurtboxes. To get around all of that you'd need to limit a kong like how Luma is. In that scenario one Kong has less animations, is easier to beat down, can't shield/dodge and has basic AI.
In my idea, they'd only attack together during specials. Their normal attacks would be different. The fact that it would strain the game is probably why it didn't happen.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
So I’ve noticed that DK has a lack of music.. but has anyone noticed how robbed gen 2 and 3 were when it came to Pokémon music?
Don't get me started with it... Gen 3 desperately needs some love especially. I guess Smash-devs have that big bone to Sinnoh-games and music, apparently.

Ghostwolf35

Smash Cadet
There are some positives to them being part of duo. Of course, it would mean Dixie would be in Smash, and I just like their relationship anyway, so it'd be cool to see them fighting together. Plus Brawl established Diddy's jetpack as a staple of his character in DKC games afterward. I wonder what kind of DKC games we could have gotten if The Diddy/Dixie duo thing did happen? Probably something similar, but maybe Dixie would actually be in DKC returns.

I'd definitely still prefer for them to be separate in Smash Bros though because they're important enough characters and have done enough on their own to be two different unique fighters. Maybe it's just me, but I kinda feel like it would be a disservice to their characters if they were just part of a tag-team.

Last edited:

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
So I tried my hand at redesigning Candy. The color scheme is supposed to be more of a dark pink and purple than it shows in the picture. I also darkened her hair since all the girl kongs have the same color, though I'm not sure how well that turned out. Let me know what you think!

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
In my idea, they'd only attack together during specials. Their normal attacks would be different. The fact that it would strain the game is probably why it didn't happen.
This was actually my idea for re-balancing Ice Climbers at one point, where you controlled only one Climber and then could toggle to the other one by holding any of your special moves, which would cause them to attack together and then tag out. I figured it would make them easier to balance. I imagine this was somewhat how Sakurai first envisioned the Diddy/Dixie pairing.

I think having some kind of unique attack together thats initiated by a taunt input with certain characters would be a super cool mechanic that could encourage canon team ups in doubles. Like Mario and Luigi using a team move from the Mario and Luigi RPG games, Fox and Falco doing some kind of team attack with blasters, Diddy and Dixie using their throw attacks etc.

Only certain characters could use them so i guess it could be considered unfair, but then again only certain characters can crawl, wall cling, zair and wall jump, plus it would only work in Doubles of course, so who knows?

TropicalBreeze

Smash Apprentice
So I tried my hand at redesigning Candy. The color scheme is supposed to be more of a dark pink and purple than it shows in the picture. I also darkened her hair since all the girl kongs have the same color, though I'm not sure how well that turned out. Let me know what you think!

I feel as though Candy Kong should not have a bigger bulge than Donkey Kong

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The scary thing is if Dixie doesn't get in the base roster, I don't think she'll be DLC.

DLC is usually reserved for big third party characters or other major characters they know will sell, as much as we want Dixie I don't think she has that kind of pull. It's either now or never...or we have to wait another 5+ years for the next Smash. Goddamn.
And then there is Corrin, who was so unknown outside of Japan that he's the only one that people on Youtube were like "Who is Corrin?!".

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Then DK needed to absolutely do that hilarious scream before he enters the level in Tropical Freeze. Cracks me up all the time.

Speaking of barrel entries, if Diddy gets his barrel changed to being the 'DD Barrel', then it's a VERY GOOD INDICATION that Dixie will also be playable. Otherwise, why change the DK Barrel at all if it's only for Diddy? Seems quite fitting with the thread title as well to bring this up yet again.
I would love to see every Kong get their own labelled barrel, even for those who didn't get one before Smash.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
After stepping away from it and coming back, I don't like it so I redid it lol. I think it strayed too far away from her other designs.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Definitely improving! My suggestion is to make her look just a tad more like a Kong, as she reminds me of a Muppet somewhat.
Thanks! I think I was too concerned with not oversexualizing her that I took it in the wrong direction. Anything in particular you would like to see changed?

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
After stepping away from it and coming back, I don't like it so I redid it lol. I think it strayed too far away from her other designs.

This is a nice design for Candy, much better than her actual design if I'm being honest. Less bodacious, more charm. Good job!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Actually if you look real close Dixie and Diddy do have their ears attached to their mouths on their recent designs.
Dixie doesn't in that picture

But Diddy's do look attached. But it looks more like the ear is clipping into it rather than just attached

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Dixie doesn't in that picture

But Diddy's do look attached. But it looks more like the ear is clipping into it rather than just attached
I meant their recent designs, back in the day Dixie didn't have that design but nowadays she has her ears attached to the mouth piece, not saying that leak is legit though, I don't believe leaks until proven otherwise.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I meant their recent designs, back in the day Dixie didn't have that design but nowadays she has her ears attached to the mouth piece, not saying that leak is legit though, I don't believe leaks until proven otherwise.
Modern Diddy does too actually

But they don't use that design in Smash

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
It's fake, still no debunked and well done, but 99% false. I don't know what happened these days but a lot of 'leaked renders' appeared.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am at least glad they kept with the old skool Rare design for Diddy. DK has a bit of a mixture of Rare, Retro and Nintendo designs, and K.Rool a mixture of Rare and PAON. I like Diddy’s design best out of all the DKC characters.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Last edited:

Strong DK

Smash Apprentice
While I expect if Dixie gets in at all she will be an echo but part of me wants her to be a fullblown newcomer. Just to see the backlash online against DKC haters. "WHAT!? 2 DK Characters back to back!?" "ANOTHER DK character. We have limited amount of slots here and they WASTED it on DKC!? Where'z Waluigi!" You know those comments will be coming and I'll be sitting back enjoying all of it because DK is long overdue for more reps in Smash.
I'm for sure going to enjoy that too. I'm that greedy that even 3 newcomers from DK series wouldn't be too much imo

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm for sure going to enjoy that too. I'm that greedy that even 3 newcomers from DK series wouldn't be too much imo
Same here. You could add Dixie, Funky and Cranky and have the whole Tropical Freeze squad present, Funky New Mode included in his glorious Echo form, and my heart would still cry out for Lanky.

Truth to be told, I actually also really would like Rambi playable.

Yes, Rambi. Rhinos are my favorite animals, and he would have a awesome playstyle. Grabs and recovery might be troublesome, but still...

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus

Not bad!! I like how you made her legs shorter and more gorilla-like. I could see this working, way better than what she currently is, which is pretty much a sex object/joke of a character... Desperately needs a redesign. I also tried my hand at redesigning Candy Kong the other day, and tried to make her more gorilla-like too, but I took a more extreme approach and really tried to push her as an action character, and a bit of a tough and strong female Kong, but still with some signature Candy elements (well, hair color and some outfit bits, heh)
candyredesign2.png
Tried to make her unmistakably a gorilla, and I like it! Still femine, still looks like DK's girlfriend, but now she also looks like she can join him on the adventure for the fight! That was my goal anyway.
IMG_20180829_163321.jpg candydkactionw.png

Also, I plan on drawing this version of her with Dixie sometime in the future, to really flesh out that relationship dynamic, because currently, Dixie is just way cooler than Candy, and Candy shouldn't be looked up to in any way for her... I want to change that.

As is, Dixie is the coolest female Kong, and perhaps female character in general next to Samus, from Nintendo.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I just wish Diddy didn't lose his blue eyes after the buyout.

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Not bad!! I like how you made her legs shorter and more gorilla-like. I could see this working, way better than what she currently is, which is pretty much a sex object/joke of a character... Desperately needs a redesign. I also tried my hand at redesigning Candy Kong the other day, and tried to make her more gorilla-like too, but I took a more extreme approach and really tried to push her as an action character, and a bit of a tough and strong female Kong, but still with some signature Candy elements (well, hair color and some outfit bits, heh)
View attachment 161364
Tried to make her unmistakably a gorilla, and I like it! Still femine, still looks like DK's girlfriend, but now she also looks like she can join him on the adventure for the fight! That was my goal anyway.
View attachment 161365

Also, I plan on drawing this version of her with Dixie sometime in the future, to really flesh out that relationship dynamic, because currently, Dixie is just way cooler than Candy, and Candy shouldn't be looked up to in any way for her... I want to change that.

As is, Dixie is the coolest female Kong, and perhaps female character in general next to Samus, from Nintendo.
Very nice pictures! I like how you made her more of a counterpart to DK.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
View attachment 161364
View attachment 161365

You are an incredible artist! That Donkey Kong especially is cool! The Candy redesign is rather.. unique. But whoa did you make it look convincing!! If you are gonna draw Dixie, can you please draw Diddy as well? And a reimagined Kiddy? I kinda want to see you draw everything lol

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Thanks! And, I've already made a re-imagined Kiddy, heh!
kiddy_kong_by_mattdog1000000-d6b4tot.png

As for the Candy, yeah, I know, it's a tough sell. I've had some pushback, but really, it's just a tough job to make a feminine gorilla that's also strong, and not taken as a joke, or look creepy. It's actually extremely difficult to do!! hah! I decided to go the punk rock route, and took some inspiration from Tank Girl. I really like it, but, it's not for everybody. I figure the more I draw her, and the more situations I put her in, the more she'll grow on people... I hope. And seeing her relationship with Dixie, and Dixie looking up to her as an inspiring female role model, could be fun.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Am at least glad they kept with the old skool Rare design for Diddy. DK has a bit of a mixture of Rare, Retro and Nintendo designs, and K.Rool a mixture of Rare and PAON. I like Diddy’s design best out of all the DKC characters.
The DKC characters in the Smash series look their best here in Ultimate. Diddy's ultimate render is the my favorite Diddy design in Smash. They'll do justice with Dixie's design I'm sure of it.
View attachment 161364
View attachment 161365

I like the fact that Candy's hair looks like bananas sticking out from her head. Nice design!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
View attachment 161364
View attachment 161365

That Candy is fire! REALLY well done! So distinct; the right level of gorilla, muscular, and feminine! She looks pretty, but not in a sexual way, just like a platonic pretty. It also makes sense for DK to have a strong girlfriend rather than a presumably fragile sex doll because DK himself is a strong character.

Mary H.

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1676-4537-1982
View attachment 161364
Your take on Candy is so unique. I've never seen anyone approach the character with such an out of the box design. It's super refreshing! The mohawk may be a little too much, as I don't really think it meshes too well when you sit her beside the other kongs' designs, but everything else? Absolutely steller!

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Thanks. I actually took the mohawk directly from Krusha, heh. Though I suppose those look more like spikes rather than hair, the banana shape fits the theme of Kongs anyway, and besides, DK would find hair that looks like bananas rather attractive, don't you think? Hah!

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 161364
View attachment 161365

Thanks! And wow I definitely wasn't expecting that. Very cool design! Seeing yours drawn like that makes me want to do the same. I might try it out with this sketch.

Top Bottom