• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

StormC

Smash Hero
The Tropical Freeze port outsold the Wii U version.

We are definitely getting a new DK game, and probably next year.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Hello there, I just like to mention that I love the amount of support for Dixie here, after all the veterans returned(Wolf being the one I wanted most) I fully support Dixie as the one I would love to see in Ultimate as well.

I personally would love if Dixie could be unique which is the ideal choice however I have no problem with her having to be an echo of Diddy since I use him a lot anyway.
I truly hope she will make it this time.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
I do think a new dk game will be announced this or next year. That's Nintendo's pattern with the dk franchise.
2009 > dk jungle beat port; 2010 > dk country returns
2013 > dkcr port 3ds; e3 2013 > dk tropical freeze
2018 > dk tropical freeze port; 2018/19 new dk game?
In addition to that we got some hints like reggie talking in an interview about new experiences in games like metroid, mario Odyssey, breath of the wild and DK (unlike Metroid and the other two there is currently no new dk game announced), the dk dlc in rabbids kingdom battle, the dkc references in odyssey and now the port. The DK franchise is still popular and if Nintendo would take it to the next level like they did with Odyssey and breath of the wild, I'm sure it will become a big success!

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I do think a new dk game will be announced this or next year. That's Nintendo's pattern with the dk franchise.
2009 > dk jungle beat port; 2010 > dk country returns
2013 > dkcr port 3ds; e3 2013 > dk tropical freeze
2018 > dk tropical freeze port; 2018/19 new dk game?
In addition to that we got some hints like reggie talking in an interview about new experiences in games like metroid, mario Odyssey, breath of the wild and DK (unlike Metroid and the other two there is currently no new dk game announced), the dk dlc in rabbids kingdom battle, the dkc references in odyssey and now the port. The DK franchise is still popular and if Nintendo would take it to the next level like they did with Odyssey and breath of the wild, I'm sure it will become a big success!
nintendo would be absolutely crazy not to capitalize on the success of tropical freeze, it sold pretty damn well on a practically dead console and then for a port the switch version did incredible, it's the second best selling port on the system after all.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
As long as they bring back Lanky Kong, Tiny Kong and King K. Rool I'd be fine.
Chunky and Kiddy would be cool too, but let's start with the most beloved one first.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Chunky and Kiddy would be cool too, but let's start with the most beloved one first.
I wouldn't mind the other kongs come back but I'd love to see retro try their hand at creating an original kong. K Rool is a necessity at this point though

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I think it's safe to say King K Rool will return now that Nintendo actually knows how beloved he actually is. Bringing him back would be a great way to close out a DKCR trilogy.

What intro animation would you guys prefer to see Dixie make at the the start of a battle in Ultimate, her one legged pose when she starts a stage, or her hair twirl battle pose before she fights a boss? (Both from TF)

I know that I personally would like to see her headbang guitar animation from DKC2 be one of her victory poses, her pummeling the bonus barrel as another, and maybe her air guitar and "rock on" devil fingers as the last one. Although that one would also be a suitable taunt.

I mean I really think that's Dixie's best trait. She expresses so much personality in her animations, both in the classic games and especially in TF. She has so much material to pull taunts, idle poses, victory poses and an intro sequence from. She's just so charming to watch.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
If Tiny comes back, please for the love of god have it be her DK64 design and not the awful redesign from DKRDS

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
If Tiny comes back, please for the love of god have it be her DK64 design and not the awful redesign from DKRDS
Hopefully they bring her back, she was referenced in Super Mario Odyseey which is nice. Give her a big role, so that she could be a future character in Smash.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Hopefully they bring her back, she was referenced in Super Mario Odyseey which is nice. Give her a big role, so that she could be a future character in Smash.
I like Tiny but she's not as unique to other cast members as Lanky is, since Dixie exists. Lanky is the next logical Kong to return IMO.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Lanky is certainly the most unique of the Kongs, no question about that. However, it's Dixie's turn for me this round.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
It's some form of uncanny valley. We like animals that have a few humanoid traits. We like humans that have mostly accurate human traits and occasionally some animal-like ones. When you start greying those two areas, things get weird and uncomfortable. Dixie is charming and enjoyable because she's a monkey with feminine features, hair and clothing, but she still looks and sounds like a chimp. Candy and DKRDS Tiny are creepy and unpleasant because they have the shape of a person but are still supposed to be monkeys, and visibly are monkeys based on their fur and facial features. Thus our brains don't know if we should treat them as anthropomorphic monkeys, or humans that have animal features.

This kind of dissonance is why Wii Fit Trainer in Smash 4 was kind of disconcerting, and her creator requested that she be changed. She was almost human but...not quite human enough to be enjoyable.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I think it's safe to say King K Rool will return now that Nintendo actually knows how beloved he actually is. Bringing him back would be a great way to close out a DKCR trilogy.

What intro animation would you guys prefer to see Dixie make at the the start of a battle in Ultimate, her one legged pose when she starts a stage, or her hair twirl battle pose before she fights a boss? (Both from TF)

I know that I personally would like to see her headbang guitar animation from DKC2 be one of her victory poses, her pummeling the bonus barrel as another, and maybe her air guitar and "rock on" devil fingers as the last one. Although that one would also be a suitable taunt.

I mean I really think that's Dixie's best trait. She expresses so much personality in her animations, both in the classic games and especially in TF. She has so much material to pull taunts, idle poses, victory poses and an intro sequence from. She's just so charming to watch.
Personally, I'd like to see aesthetic consistency between DK characters and have them jump out of their own barrels from TF for their intro animations. Dixie would jump out of a DX barrel, and Diddy would be changed to jump out of a DD barrel. Dixie could do a pose or a giggle afterwards to reflect her personality.

As for taunts, I think Dixie should have one where she does the TF pre-boss hair twirl, one where she blows a bubble of gum and pops it, and one where she strums her guitar. Alternatively, instead of the TF version, she could do the pre-boss animation from DKC2 where her eyes pop out. Either of those would be fun to see.

For victory poses, she could have one of her flying around with her hair, one where she does the full victory animation from DKC2 with her guitar, and one with her jumping around excitedly like she does after winning a bonus level in TF. I also think it would be a fun reference if her loss animation, instead of clapping, would be her crying death animation from the SNES games.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Idk I'd rather just have her outfit change than her hair. Her hair is too iconic too tamper with IMO. It's literally a banana colored/shaped pony tail.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Do you think Dixie's hair should change for alt colors? Like Dixie Kong with black hair?
she's been doing it since her first appearance so I don't see why not
DKC2DixieKong2P.png

these from king of swing also need to be costumes, they're just too cute
Dixie_Kong_3P.png
Dixie_Kong_4P.png
Dixie_Kong_2P.png

I would 100000% main purple haired dixie

sidenote, I'm making those sprites my signature, they're just too cute

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, it'd be a bit much to expect the Kong cousins to come back right now unless they find a way to implement them somehow (like a Funky New Mode featuring them, or something).

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Do you think Dixie's hair should change for alt colors? Like Dixie Kong with black hair?
Mixed thoughts on this. I'd like most of them to have blonde hair, with maybe a couple options that change her hair color. Kind of like how Diddy keeps his natural fur color for most of his costumes, but has a couple that change it (one of them being the Dixie costume).

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
But seriously tho, who are we even trying to kid?
Dixie Kong should have appeared in Smash 4.

The perfect timeline is just coming a bit late.
If Dixie is absent I'd be very surprised.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
But seriously tho, who are we even trying to kid?
Dixie Kong should have appeared in Smash 4.

The perfect timeline is just coming a bit late.
If Dixie is absent I'd be very surprised.
Dixie could have arguably been in since Melee. Should have definitely been in by Brawl and it's a complete joke that she wasn't in Smash For.

RedDragon64

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8521-4195-4716
I think Dixie can be an eco for Diddy Kong (EVERYONE PICKS UP PITCHFORKS) I mean up air can be changed to DK Up air but faster and tiny kongs gun
the rest can be Ctrl+C Ctrl+V

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
As alternate hair colors for Dixie I'll use different types of blonde-brown hair matching the main color. Her cloting is colorful enough for the variations, but one or two colors outside this would be nice too.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I just hope we get the p2 contest costume from dkc2 with the red hair. Wouldn’t be that hard to see it happen, especially when diddy has both of his p2 contest mode costumes, different fur color, not just the clothes.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I think Dixie can be an eco for Diddy Kong (EVERYONE PICKS UP PITCHFORKS) I mean up air can be changed to DK Up air but faster and tiny kongs gun
the rest can be Ctrl+C Ctrl+V
Thanks for the support. Just a couple things:

1. She has her own gun, a gumball gun.
2. She would probably have a unique up B as well, being her ponytail twirl from the games.
3. She has other moves that make her different too, like her hair Ground pound and her hair cargo grab.
4. She deserves to be a semi-clone, not an Echo. Most of us agree on that.

RedDragon64

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8521-4195-4716
Thanks for the support. Just a couple things:

1. She has her own gun, a gumball gun.
2. She would probably have a unique up B as well, being her ponytail twirl from the games.
3. She has other moves that make her different too, like her hair Ground pound and her hair cargo grab.
4. She deserves to be a semi-clone, not an Echo. Most of us agree on that.
So a Falco or Wolf kinda Deal I love Falco so I would be ok with that but if worse comes to worse Eco it is!!!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Dixie Kong is perhaps the last game character who I was a fan of during my childhood that has yet to become playable in Smash Bros. I remember first seeing the Forbidden 7 for Brawl back in early 2008, and aside from Mewtwo and Roy, Dixie Kong was yet another characters where I thought "this could have been something, I wish things were different." I wanted to support Dixie Kong just as I had supported a lot of other characters during pre-Brawl and Ridley and Roy during pre-Smash 4, but I simply did not want a fight with K. Rool fans (who saw Dixie Kong as a thread) on top of the crap I was dealing with Roy detractors and Too Bigots.

Now. Ridley is in. Roy is back. K. Rool is in. Mega Man is in. Mewtwo is back. Everyone is back. Castlevania is in. What is left? What is left?

For many characters that are left, I simply did not play the software that they originated from. I have played, beaten, and loved Super Mario RPG (Geno), Return to Dream Land (Bandanna Dee). and Majora's Mask (Skull Kid). However, in terms of a character where I played the entire game from beginning to end and left a strong impression on me, all that is left is Dixie Kong. DKC2 and DKC3 were among my favorite games of the mid-to-late 90's, and I always loved playing as Dixie Kong in both titles.

Its a shame that only in the twilight of the pre-Ultimate period has she finally begun to be looked at as one of the premier prospective newcomers left, and even then she is far from the due she truly deserves (how many have said she is part of the new trinity instead of the likes of Skull Kid?).

I am not exactly optimistic. Sakurai has said there are only a few characters left to unveil, and there are still a few obvious characters left to choose especially among echoes. However, the old dream over ten years ago was that Metroid would have both Ridley and Dark Samus added in to make Metroid "complete". This dream seemed likely to never materialize. Dark Samus's last game was over ten years old (and likely never to be part of the storyline to a Metroid game ever again), and Ridley had the unfortunate distinction among being the few characters to ever be explicitly shot down by Sakurai himself (where in November 2014, Sakurai himself said that Ridley could not be resized to become a playable character).

Flash forward to June 2018, Ridley is finally confirmed after 17 years of requests, and only two months later Dark Samus is confirmed too. This happening at all was a miracle.

There are only 3.5 months to the Ultimate's release. There are a multitude to ways this can go down:
1. Dixie Kong is fully unique or a semi-clone (I am not exactly confident on this).
2. Dixie Kong is an echo fighter (I find this the most likely scenario if she is playable, Chrom has already shown echoes can at least have unique recoveries).
3. Dixie Kong is an Assist Trophy (there are still anywhere from 11-19 Assist Trophies left to be confirmed since Sakurai said there are 50+).
4. Dixie Kong is part of Diddy Kong's yet to be seen Final Smash (Diddy Kong is among the few characters where his Final Smash has not been shown off).
5. Dixie Kong has not notable role at all in Ultimate (this potentially could mean she might be a candidate for DLC).

Two scenarios lead to confirmation, two lead to a hard deconfirmation, and one kicks the can down the road for whether she will be in Ultimate.

We shall see what happens. Dixie Kong might very well be the last remaining Nintendo All-Star with a long running history that is not yet playable in Ultimate (aside from Toad who unfortunately has been deconfirmed).
It really feels like strange mix of new possibilities, yet also there's a clear lack of big names left that necessarily aren't being biased against their playable inclusion (like aforementioned Captain Toad along with some unfortunate Assists).

I thus dearly hope I get to see my childhood heroine Dixie like many others do here, along with some other candidates I've been less vocal and active before (Lloyd Irving or Isaac).

At the very least, the picks in this game so far have been nothing sort of amazing and long-awaited kind to make Smash once again the kind of a Nintendo-centric slamfest with profilic heroes and big, menacing villains together, instead of what we had n Sm4sh being more this promotion + uniqueness-based stuff mainly, which a lot have found less exciting now that we've received a lot more in Ultimate.

Dixie being an Echo still feels kind of lame to me after all these years of waiting, especially if she just imitates Diddy to a tee, which would kind of have me get the slightly apathetic feelings to Daisy as of now (due not even given anything still so far about what sets her apart from Peach - in fact they've only shown the complete opposite up to this point, what's with Daisy not even given her own form of Turnips.)

Huh I was going to mention how Dixie really seems like the last truly iconic character left to add to Smash at this point, and here I see Chrono already beat me to it... Like whether she's an echo or not, I feel she really MUST be in. Especially when what's left is really the bottom of the barrel of picks.
I mean, they already killed Captain Toad and a lot other "bias-against" chars, so I guess they really are trying to run themselves to that barrel-y bottom with doing mainly popular picks from the Ballot now.
Nevertheless, I'm pretty glad to see all us here among so many more... riding this big DISCO TRAIN towards the final destination.

Last edited:

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Imagine if Dixie doesn't make it in, and we don't recieve a Tropical Freeze stage. Given the lack of DK representation in previous games, I wouldn't be surprised. I still can't believe Sakurai put Klaptrap in as an assist over another Kong or Rambi.

RedDragon64

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8521-4195-4716
Imagine if Dixie doesn't make it in, and we don't recieve a Tropical Freeze stage. Given the lack of DK representation in previous games, I wouldn't be surprised. I still can't believe Sakurai put Klaptrap in as an assist over another Kong or Rambi.
If Dixie gets in it won't matter to me I mean we got Krool and if she and Banjo gets in then I ain't complaining

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I actually like Klaptrap as an assist because it was a dead giveaway K.Rool was in the game during the direct and him along with K.Rool in the game may finally kill the myth of him being owned by Rare (though I fear if Banjo gets in it will open that can of worms again because people will assume Microsoft/Nintendo made some "package deal" or something).

THAT being said I would also like Rambi, Squawks, Funky, or Cranky as an assist trophy as well. Rambi could work like that goat Pokemon in Smash 4, Squawks could shoot nuts at people, Funky could ride his surf board over a tidal wave and push everyone off screen, and Cranky I want to be the new Mr. Resetti where he just has long conversations and berates you.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
I actually like Klaptrap as an assist because it was a dead giveaway K.Rool was in the game during the direct and him along with K.Rool in the game may finally kill the myth of him being owned by Rare (though I fear if Banjo gets in it will open that can of worms again because people will assume Microsoft/Nintendo made some "package deal" or something).

THAT being said I would also like Rambi, Squawks, Funky, or Cranky as an assist trophy as well. Rambi could work like that goat Pokemon in Smash 4, Squawks could shoot nuts at people, Funky could ride his surf board over a tidal wave and push everyone off screen, and Cranky I want to be the new Mr. Resetti where he just has long conversations and berates you.
You know what would be funny? If not only they added Cranky as an assist, but brought back Mr. Resetti so the two can converse/yell at each other when both are out at the same time.

And thinking about it, it would make sense to show another Kong as an assist later on along with Dixie, although that may be asking for too much since it took us three games to even receive an assist.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Perhaps they thought Rambi would function too much like Gogoat. Don't know about the Kongs, many of them don't have particularly distinctive attacks for an AT though outside of items like the Orange Grenade or their projectiles, but there are already a lot of ATs that just punch the enemy, shoot or drop bombs. Having a crocodile that bites you and latches on is a bit different, so I guess it was just deemed more interesting. Also it hinted K Rool too, can't be mad about that.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
and Cranky I want to be the new Mr. Resetti where he just has long conversations and berates you.
I already remember requesting this as far back as Pre-Smash 4-days. Except now and then when he makes a statement, the characters would change forms to accomodate what he's complaining about, like:

- If he'd say: "Sometimes our sprites would changed size between games - and for no good reason!", then his opponents will suddenly change size randomly.

- When Cranky would rant the following, "We only had four shades of grey, and we were happy!", the stage and the characters will turn to black and white while the brightness goes quite low.

- Sometimes he'll even mutter " These programmers really make such a huge waste of frames. Back in the day we only needed 4 to do the walk!".

Cut to characters making Mr Game & Watch-style frame-to-frame movement, making them become slower and harder to read next actions or fall direction of.

You know what would be funny? If not only they added Cranky as an assist, but brought back Mr. Resetti so the two can converse/yell at each other when both are out at the same time
I never knew I wanted this so badly until now. :laugh:

Actually while at it, maybe they could bring in Miyuki from Namco's Ordyne/Project X Zone 2 as a new Assist Trophy in same vein as last two "medium-aware" guys. She'd try to sell things to battling players, but slowly grows more foreboding on the fighters if getting ignored:

Last edited:

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
You know - that last 5 second clip of K. Rool stomping DK and Diddy seems suspiciously odd. It detracts from the theatric ending of the CG trailer for what? A bit of sub par slapstick comedy?

The more I think about it the more I'm of the opinion that this scene isn't finished. Unfortunately - I do think it likely means that Dixie is an echo - even if the gameplay scene segues into a trailer ala Richter.

RedDragon64

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8521-4195-4716
You know - that last 5 second clip of K. Rool stomping DK and Diddy seems suspiciously odd. It detracts from the theatric ending of the CG trailer for what? A bit of sub par slapstick comedy?

The more I think about it the more I'm of the opinion that this scene isn't finished. Unfortunately - I do think it likely means that Dixie is an echo - even if the gameplay scene segues into a trailer ala Richter.
You might be on to something it might be building up to a dixie showing??? I mean the polt of DKC 3 was DK & Diddy got kidnaped and beat by krool
Soooooooo??????

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Hello! Y'all can count me as a supporter. While I'm more of a K. Rool supporter, I also like the idea of Dixie being in Smash (she is arguably one of the last true "Nintendo All-Stars", after all), and now that Rool is in, I've got my fingers crossed that Dixie makes the cut too, and all the DK fans can be happy.

Top Bottom