• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
A single whipping motion that last about 3 seconds lashing forward with the clean hit being the tip.
Woah 3 seconds would make it the longest move in the game, longer than Warlock Punch lol. We usually measure moves in frames, with 60 of them in a second in Smash. An average aerial comes out between 7-10 frames and most moves end within 45-50. Based on your description, I'd estimate a 9-10 frame startup and a FAF (final active frame) of around 40 frames, or 2/3 of 1 second. Still a cool move idea!

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Woah 3 seconds would make it the longest move in the game, longer than Warlock Punch lol. We usually measure moves in frames, with 60 of them in a second in Smash. An average aerial comes out between 7-10 frames and most moves end within 45-50. Based on your description, I'd estimate a 9-10 frame startup and a FAF (final active frame) of around 40 frames, or 2/3 of 1 second. Still a cool move idea!
Oops, maybe it should be a little shorter. I never really calculated how quick some of the moves are by seconds.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Ok, you guys will be added into the roster. Since you went for the obvious grab choice Glacia do you want to add anything unique or creative to it? Some kind of special cargo mechanic, pivot property etc.? Up to you, but feel free to add your own touch to even "standard" Dixie options.

And is your forward air more of a whipping motion or a swinging motion AR? Does she lash the hair out and then draw it back, with the clean hit being the tip, or is does she swing it forward in a similar arc to Marth's fair? Just trying to fully envision it.
Sure, for more detail I would make the area where Dixie is carrying someone a disjointed collateral hitbox/hurtbox, so you could run into, say, a bomb in a higher platform and it's explosion would hurt who you're grabbing and not yourself. Or jump at another enemy from below and that would damage them (not significantly, but enough to stagger and cause light percentage damage)
I'm honestly not sure right now if this is something you can do with DK currently, but it'd be cool on DK anyway as it would emulate the gameplay in DKC where upon grabbing objects with Dixie you can jump on enemies from below to damage them.

To balance I'd also make grab buttons so a hair animation, similar to link's old grappling hook or lucas's rope snake, but instead of just grabbing someone with the tip of her hair you'd need the center of the hair to touch for the grab to occur, so it would actually require close range for a grab to occur. However, in the air it would behave like those other ones do in terms of damage and ledge grabbing.

cybersai

Smash Ace
It's weird how there's arguably less preventing Dixie getting in then the other big potential newcomers right now. Keep in mind I want most if not all these characters too:

Geno: Owned by Square, Sakurai wanted him in, but it depends if Square wants to license him
Isaac: His series has been dormant for a long time and may never get a new game
Skull Kid: My most wanted, but it depends if he's not a boss and he's only from one major game
Banjo-Kazooie: Obviously owned by Microsoft, depends if Nintendo allows it
Bandana Dee: Generally viewed as a low-tier character ala Blue or Yellow Toad

Dixie on the other hand, has really none of the "roadblocks" a lot of the other potential newcomers have. Like every character on the list above has a very real reason why they may not get in....but Dixie literally has none of that. She should be the most obvious newcomer (besides maybe Isabelle?), and it's weird so little expect her.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
It's weird how there's arguably less preventing Dixie getting in then the other big potential newcomers right now. Keep in mind I want most if not all these characters too:

Geno: Owned by Square, Sakurai wanted him in, but it depends if Square wants to license him
Skull Kid: My most wanted, but it depends if he's not a boss and he's only from one major game

Dixie on the other hand, has really none of the "roadblocks" a lot of the other potential newcomers have. Like every character on the list above has a very real reason why they may not get in....but Dixie literally has none of that. She should be the most obvious newcomer (besides maybe Isabelle?), and it's weird so little expect her.
That is rather strange, she should be seen as an obvious choice especially after Dark Samus I sort of feel that Metroid and Dk will get the same treatment like in Brawl.

I also would love Isabelle as well. Those two are the only ones that I'm really asking for.

Last edited:

pepiux

Smash Apprentice

I feel it happens because everyone is vouching for top popular picks. Dixie IS popular, but a step behind Geno, Banjo, Isaac, etc., at least with hardcore fans. Seeing how everyone wants those characters in, people, though admitting Dixie deserves to be in Smash, vouch for her to be an Echo or are indifferent to her.

I have said before and still maintain that we should not act with such certainty about popularity being the sole deciding factor for who makes it in. Simon, despite being popular, was not really on people's radar until Vergeben claimed he'd be in. Inkling is a new character from a new series, and everyone saw her coming because we all had the mindset that Smash characters = promotion of new games, back from the Smash 4 era. Now, with the addition of K. Rool and Ridley, being top picks, have everyone aboard the train of "it's clearly only top ballot picks now". We should not forget that other factors did weigh in when the roster was decided.

I honestly think Dixie has it all, as you said previously. Yeah, not a top ballot pick, but still highly popular. She's relevant due to Tropical Freeze (which has outsold Splatoon if I'm not wrong), has a long history with Nintendo/DK, and hence is recognizable by both older and new fans, starred in her own game, etc. Neither Geno, Isaac, Skull Kid, Banjo or Bandana Dee can claim to have all those credentials. All they have over Dixie is popularity, which to be fair, is enough to make it in. However, Dixie Kong's chances should not be underestimated.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I feel it happens because everyone is vouching for top popular picks. Dixie IS popular, but a step behind Geno, Banjo, Isaac, etc., at least with hardcore fans. Seeing how everyone wants those characters in, people, though admitting Dixie deserves to be in Smash, vouch for her to be an Echo or are indifferent to her.

I have said before and still maintain that we should not act with such certainty about popularity being the sole deciding factor for who makes it in. Simon, despite being popular, was not really on people's radar until Vergeben claimed he'd be in. Inkling is a new character from a new series, and everyone saw her coming because we all had the mindset that Smash characters = promotion of new games, back from the Smash 4 era. K. Rool and Ridley, being top picks, have everyone aboard the train of "it's clearly only top ballot picks now".

I honestly think Dixie has it all, as you said previously. Yeah, not a top ballot pick, but still highly popular. She's relevant due to Tropical Freeze (which has outsold Splatoon if I'm not wrong), has a long history with Nintendo/DK, and hence is recognizable by both older and new fans, starred in her own game, etc. Neither Geno, Isaac, Skull Kid, Banjo or Bandana Dee can claim to have all those credentials. All they have over Dixie is popularity, which to be fair, is enough to make it in. However, Dixie Kong's chances should not be underestimated.
Agreed here. While Inkling is the only Relevant newcomer who happens to be insanely popular, I doubt Ultimate will strictly be a popularity-only contest. Dixie does have plenty going for her across the board; her positives are well-rounded compared to many of the other options, who excel in a couple areas but are neglected elsewhere. K. Rool casted a massive shadow but the pillar Dixie stood on is still notable and in one case outperforms K. Rool in.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Agreed here. While Inkling is the only Relevant newcomer who happens to be insanely popular,
Ridley is relevant and highly popular too. He made a new game appearance last year. You could also say the same for Daisy, both relevant and popular (even if her requests were behind other prospective Mario newcomers).

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Ridley is relevant and highly popular too. He made a new game appearance last year. You could also say the same for Daisy, both relevant and popular (even if her requests were behind other prospective Mario newcomers).
To be honest, I was going by the project plan timeline, ranging from 2011 to 2015.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
To be honest, I was going by the project plan timeline, ranging from 2011 to 2015.
I see. However, even then Ridley is still a major Metroid mainstay (and a robot version of Ridley had two boss fights in the Metroid minigame for Nintendo Land which came out in 2012). Daisy herself was naturally relevant and popular too.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Do female characters usually do well in polls?
I don't know, depends who it is. All the main Nintendo females are already in, and then you just have stuff like female alts of Fire Emblem characters like Robin/Corrin, or the female Villager/Inkling alts. And Palutena was a shoe-in last time due to Sakurai working on Uprising.

Dixie really is the only main Nintendo female heroine not in Smash yet. We even have a female Pokemon trainer in this time of all things.

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
I don't know, depends who it is. All the main Nintendo females are already in, and then you just have stuff like female alts of Fire Emblem characters like Robin/Corrin, or the female Villager/Inkling alts. And Palutena was a shoe-in last time due to Sakurai working on Uprising.
Dixie really is the only main Nintendo female heroine not in Smash yet. We even have a female Pokemon trainer in this time of all things.
And to think Dixie is Nintendo's second female protagonist, I really feel like she should be part of the line up.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I see. However, even then Ridley is still a major Metroid mainstay (and a robot version of Ridley had two boss fights in the Metroid minigame for Nintendo Land which came out in 2012). Daisy herself was naturally relevant and popular too.
Fair enough, I won't overlook those factors going forward.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I have said before and still maintain that we should not act with such certainty about popularity being the sole deciding factor for who makes it in. Simon, despite being popular, was not really on people's radar until Vergeben claimed he'd be in. Inkling is a new character from a new series, and everyone saw her coming because we all had the mindset that Smash characters = promotion of new games, back from the Smash 4 era. Now, with the addition of K. Rool and Ridley, being top picks, have everyone aboard the train of "it's clearly only top ballot picks now". We should not forget that other factors did weigh in when the roster was decided.
But you are forgetting that Sakurai also said that Dark Samus and Chrom were added due to fan demand too. So that's 4 characters we know as a fact were added for those reasons.

I'm going out on a limb and assume the only characters who weren't added based on popularity were Inkling, Simon and Richter. Even Daisy was probably semi-popular, and I think semi-popular picks that can be easily made into an echo will happen.

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
But you are forgetting that Sakurai also said that Dark Samus and Chrom were added due to fan demand too. So that's 4 characters we know as a fact were added for those reasons.

I'm going out on a limb and assume the only characters who weren't added based on popularity were Inkling, Simon and Richter. Even Daisy was probably semi-popular, and I think semi-popular picks that can be easily made into an echo will happen.
This is exactly the mindset that I've been trying to avoid falling in: thinking popularity is all that matters for newcomers.

Inkling and Simon are already half of the unique newcomers we've got so far, which you mentioned that they were probably not added based on popularity, and I agree. All Echoes so far have their considerable fan bases, but I view them differently: they are icing on the cake; characters that would've never made it in if they could not be Echoes. Sakurai even said Lucina was lucky she made it in. So yes, they got in because they are popular, but certainly not because they are big or important characters (Daisy is a special case).

My point still stands: there must exist other factors that help decide unique newcomers, other than popularity. I don't think any of the Echoes so far have Dixie's credentials, with the possible exception of Daisy due to the sheer amount of games she's appeared in and being a constant presence associated with Mario.

Banjo can perfectly be a Duck Hunt Echo, but Banjo is so big that this idea is just dead (plus there's no precedent for Echoes being based on a character from a different series, but if that was not a limitation, I'm sure people would not like the idea of Banjo as an Echo).

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Spring Man is definitely the mascot of ARMS. In all the group art he is front and center and it only makes sense in a fighting game that someone more basic like Spring Man would be the main character. Just like Ryu from Street Fighter who is not as flashy as Blanca or M. Bison (he's a just a muscular dude in karategi). The main character is always someone like Spring Man. So why do people hate him so much?
I've written at length about why Spring Man is not the mascot, because as of right now, ARMS has no mascot. Character driven games often wait for the most popular character, the mascot, to be revealed. Animal Crossing, for example, only established Isabelle as its mascot in New Leaf (2012), eleven years after the first Animal Crossing released in 2001. Mortal Kombat's main protagonist was Liu Kang, and after several iterations of the game, the creators realized Scoprion and his rivalry with Sub-Zero were the heart of the game, making the former/duo the mascot/s.

Yes. I know that Spring Man is on the cover, and I know that he has a robot/evil version. I stand by this was to help ingratiate the crowd to a new style of gaming (basic character introduces a new concept the easiest). If Springman makes it on the next cover, I'll agree. Until then, stop judging a book by its cover. (Tekken does not feature Heihachi on many of its covers, Pokemon took until its fourth game to get the mascot on the cover, again the statements above with Animal Crossing and Mortal Kombat). If a game is not made with a lead (often eponymous) character in mind, it doesnt have a mascot. Just like Sony doesnt have a mascot. Not everything has a mascot.

...Dixie for Smash!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I thought either Jak and Daxter or Ratchet and Clank or maybe Kratos might have been one of Sony's mascots.
Sony has used characters as temporary mascots, but none of them are official masots (outside of Toro, and that is only in Japan).
Japan loves mascots, its not uncommon for roads or concepts to get mascots. They're everywhere.

But in the West, we arent as invested as a whole.

Turnips and Daisies.

Banned via Warnings
This is exactly the mindset that I've been trying to avoid falling in: thinking popularity is all that matters for newcomers.

Inkling and Simon are already half of the unique newcomers we've got so far, which you mentioned that they were probably not added based on popularity, and I agree. All Echoes so far have their considerable fan bases, but I view them differently: they are icing on the cake; characters that would've never made it in if they could not be Echoes. Sakurai even said Lucina was lucky she made it in. So yes, they got in because they are popular, but certainly not because they are big or important characters (Daisy is a special case).

My point still stands: there must exist other factors that help decide unique newcomers, other than popularity. I don't think any of the Echoes so far have Dixie's credentials, with the possible exception of Daisy due to the sheer amount of games she's appeared in and being a constant presence associated with Mario.

Banjo can perfectly be a Duck Hunt Echo, but Banjo is so big that this idea is just dead (plus there's no precedent for Echoes being based on a character from a different series, but if that was not a limitation, I'm sure people would not like the idea of Banjo as an Echo).
I feel like an echo is decided not due to importance but whether they are popular, fit the mold of an existing character and it if wouldn’t be too out of place to share a basic moveset with adjustments to fit their character.

Also they kinda have to be related to each other and come from the same series.

For example, Dixie would be largely the same as Diddy, but with a different recovery and gumballs, and maybe a few attacks reanimated to fit the ponytail. There really isn’t any real restrictions on an echo, except that the basic stats are about the same because balancing’s a toughie.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I feel like an echo is decided not due to importance but whether they are popular, fit the mold of an existing character and it if wouldn’t be too out of place to share a basic moveset with adjustments to fit their character.

For example, Dixie would be largely the same as Diddy, but with a different recovery and gumballs, and maybe a few attacks reanimated to fit the ponytail. There really isn’t any real restrictions on an echo, except that the basic stats are about the same because balancing’s a toughie.
Which attacks can be reanimated to fit the ponytail? For all the talk of replacing Diddy's tail moves with hair moves, people act like he has more than 2 of them. Diddy doesn't rely on his tail, but Dixie does rely on her hair, and not just for attacking and recovery. That's one of the problems with the Dixie mods in all those fan projects.

pepiux

Smash Apprentice

I agree with your first statement, but it can go both ways. Echoes being based on characters from the same series aside, why wasn't Ridley an Echo of Charizard? Why can't Banjo be an Echo of Duck Hunt? Isaac an Echo of Robin? They are popular, they fit the mold of an existing character and it wouldn't be out of place for them to share a basic moveset with adjustments. I doubt them being from different series would be the sole deciding factor against them making it as Echoes. No one expected Ridley to be a clone (or Echo). Why? What's objectively different between Ridley and Chrom/Dark Pit/Lucina/Richter? Does Ridley being a top fan request warrant his inclusion as a unique newcomer?

Daily reminder that a total of ZERO attacks of ALL Echoes so far have been "reanimated". They all perform the same exact function of the attack they are a copy of. Truth is we don't know at all the restrictions imposed on Echo movesets yet. The description you give of Dixie totally strays away from the Echo concept we've been shown so far.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Which attacks can be reanimated to fit the ponytail? For all the talk of replacing Diddy's tail moves with hair moves, people act like he has more than 2 of them. Diddy doesn't rely on his tail, but Dixie does rely on her hair, and not just for attacking and recovery. That's one of the problems with the Dixie mods in all those fan projects.
Agreed, When I see those mods that put Dixie over Diddy it just looks so wrong to me, I don't think the moveset really fits her at all

pepiux

Smash Apprentice

If all Echoes follow the rules we've been shown so far, then this is how Dixie Kong would end up. Of course she'd have her own personality and probably move in a different way, but her attacks would be the same. Might as well shave her head if her hair goes unused.

Last edited:

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace

If all Echoes follow the rules we've been shown so far, then this is how Dixie Kong would end up. Of course she'd have her own personality and probably move in a different way, but her attacks would be the same. Might as well shave her head if her hair goes unused.
keep in mind this is ONLY A fanmade mod.
Sakurai will sure "adjust" animation if Dixie is an echo.
i think it's possible sakurai use the tail when she attack the same as diddy.
i mean by that : she punch with her hands but the tail can follow the movement.
In the video posted below...you see that the mod limitation is here and the tail never move
she can use both hands/arms and tail. for more reach /Long range . it can work!

Let's pray we got UNIQUE Dixie! But i still prefer echo dixie with somes little changes that nothing.
for me . Smash Ultimate is not ultimate without Dixie Kong.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

This pretty much is why I Dixie's inclusion as an Echo would feel "empty" to me - since this is basically how I'd predict her ending up if becoming a Diddy-Echo (whether with a changed Up-B and Neutral B being Bubblegum Popgun).

Diddy's entire moveset doesn't just strike me something made for Dixie - so we'd most likely have nothing of her own essence or signature traits to make Diddy's moveset be repurposed for Dixie enough to feel in-character and seamless on her. So I'd end up associating most of what she does heavily with Diddy instead, beyond the bells and whistles Dixie's given, like the very-emphasized different dle stances, Victory Poses, Taunts, etc.

If they change her attack animations a bit here and there to make it look like she's at least utilizing her ponytail and give less speedy, floatier feel to these moves, I could kind of buy her being an Echo - but so far there hasn't really been a strong possibility that we could see it happening.

The closest example I can remember is the way Dark Samus does their Neutral B, or the pose Daisy does when deploying out her Blue Toad (Bucken-Berry). Rest so far is just them doing exact same attack animations as their original counterparts.

Last edited:

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
This pretty much is why I Dixie's inclusion as an Echo would feel "empty" to me - since this is basically how I'd predict her ending up if becoming a Diddy-Echo (whether with a changed Up-B and Neutral B being Bubblegum Popgun).

Diddy's entire moveset doesn't just strike me something made for Dixie - so we'd most likely have nothing of her own essence or signature traits to make Diddy's moveset be repurposed for Dixie enough to feel in-character and seamless on her. So I'd end up associating most of what she does heavily with Diddy instead, beyond the bells and whistles Dixie's given, like the very-emphasized different dle stances, Victory Poses, Taunts, etc.

If they change her attack animations a bit here and there to make it look like she's at least utilizing her ponytail and give less speedy, floatier feel to these moves, I could kind of buy her being an Echo - but so far there hasn't really been a strong possibility that we could see it happening.

The closest example I can remember is the way Dark Samus does their Neutral B, or the pose Daisy does when deploying out her Blue Toad (Bucken-Berry). Rest so far is just them doing exact same attack animations as their original counterparts.
Agreed.

The current state of Echoes is what has me fully supporting a unique or semi-clone Dixie. I cannot imagine Sakurai and co. not using Dixie's hair for attacking, grabbing, etc. None of the current Echoes have lost a trademark ability as far as I know.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I maintain that a Dixie that doesn't rely on her hair mainly for attacks, grabs/throws and movement is not Dixie Kong. That's why Echoing Diddy doesn't fit well; he relies on speed and staying in your face to maul you like a wild animal, then throws in some tricks to keep foes off-balance. Dixie's not dainty, but she's more elegant than Diddy tends to be. Her over-reliance on her hair is her greatest strength.

Quick question to everyone, why are Assists seen as negative? I always thought they were cool, basically pokeballs but with fighters who aren't playable. They make Smash feel bigger than it is, and that's good. I never got upset over a popular Pokemon getting the pokeball, so why get upset over ATs when they're the same idea?

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Quick question to everyone, why are Assists seen as negative? I always thought they were cool, basically pokeballs but with fighters who aren't playable. They make Smash feel bigger than it is, and that's good. I never got upset over a popular Pokemon getting the pokeball, so why get upset over ATs when they're the same idea?
The reason why so many people hate assist trophies cause characters with great potential to become nothing an item that randomize their chance in the battle is kind of waste especially when items are off(the last installment really made me hate items honestly) killing their chance to become playable is quite saddening to those who support them.

Also regarding those modified version of Smash 4 using Dixie's model over Diddy doesn't change the animations which understandably don't exactly fit, the official Echoes seems to make some adjustments and animation changes to make them feel more in character.

This might be tricky with Dixie though but I don't know if this would stop them from going this route. As BirthNote BirthNote mentioned before though that her changes to be more unique shouldn't be underestimated so I'm still going to remain hopeful that she makes it.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
One thing I haven't seen discussed before is Dixie's voice in Smash. We know Sakurai gave DK, Diddy, and K.Rool "realistic" animal noises. But what would he do with Dixie? I can't even imagine hearing Dixie sound like a "realistic" ape/chimp (whatever she is). But if she uses her cutesy/girly voice (preferably) then she kinda sticks out from the rest of the DK characters. I definitely wouldn't mind but it would be a bit odd.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I thought either Jak and Daxter or Ratchet and Clank or maybe Kratos might have been one of Sony's mascots.
Nope, it's basically a revolving door position, due to various reasons.

One thing I haven't seen discussed before is Dixie's voice in Smash. We know Sakurai gave DK, Diddy, and K.Rool "realistic" animal noises. But what would he do with Dixie? I can't even imagine hearing Dixie sound like a "realistic" ape/chimp (whatever she is). But if she uses her cutesy/girly voice (preferably) then she kinda sticks out from the rest of the DK characters. I definitely wouldn't mind but it would be a bit odd.
I suspect that he'd pull a Luigi and have her noises be a higher-pitched version of Diddy's, but we'll see what happens.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I maintain that a Dixie that doesn't rely on her hair mainly for attacks, grabs/throws and movement is not Dixie Kong. That's why Echoing Diddy doesn't fit well; he relies on speed and staying in your face to maul you like a wild animal, then throws in some tricks to keep foes off-balance. Dixie's not dainty, but she's more elegant than Diddy tends to be. Her over-reliance on her hair is her greatest strength.

Looks like you could read this post I made. Beware though, it's very passive-aggressive. I've had a long resentment on how Sakurai tends to treat NPC'd characters in Smash-games.

If to give a rundown without wearing my Angry Mole Hat though...

Assists mainly are not liked in the game due the way they are implemented, acting as just another version of already existing summoning item - and how that in particular can tend to dumb down the characters featured within them.
Basically, this is not a problem when done on various mooks or minor NPCs that are there (Hammer Bro Chef, Kawasaki, Moon, Dr.Kawashima, etc) - but when it's done on fan-favorites that most people have wanted to see, it tends to come off an off-handed reducing of their legacy or character to being a mere summon, especially if the fanbase had ton of support or dedication to them. Doesn't also help that they tend to be random too, so it makes it even more annoying to appreciate them when you might as well get Hammer Bros or similar instead, making it feel they really are just another "item" in Smash.

Pokeballs worked better due how the featured Pokemon are interchangeable and generic on their own, unless they seem have been highly requested as well (Zoroark or Mimikyu), but again, as these tend to be one of a whole species, it makes them similar to enemy mooks Assist Trophies have.

The worst part though is that Smash has such a wide presence and influence on Nintendo-fans and even gaming overall, yet Sakurai for some reason seems to have an infamous tendency to portray some of the Assists or NPCS as pathetic, or ridiculed in particular, such as Starfy and Waluigi.
Depending on the characters' obscurity, if the players tend to see them the way they are in Smash, they tend to believe that's all that is to the character, or misinterpret them in other major ways, unless they were done enough faithfully.

For example, Sakurai decided to portray Starfy very inaccurately just to drive down how "pathetic" he is for some reason - meanwhile he made Prince Sable use his abilities well and be competent on top of it as an Assist. As of today, a lot of the Smash's fanbase - bigger than Starfy's, mind you - take him as seen as some ****** weakling or a Kirby-ripoff, while a lot of these same fans took a big interest on For The Frog The Bell Tolls-game, if you go check Youtube.

So it kind of matters how you decided to portray these characters to the fans, especially in such a big event in gaming as Smash.

Finally, the Assists cease to exist in the game when no items are involved,which is what most high-level players of Smash prefer, and what tournaments are built around. This is sometimes why I wish we just could use them as summonable partners like in Marvel VS Capcom 1.

On the bright side, situation has marginally improved after Assists started to gain more attention from the fan community after we got very well-known picks like Bomberman, Alucard, Shovel Knight, etc. As of late I've seen some people actually do some fan content for Assists instead of just ignoring them like they did in Smash 4 or so. Deconfirmed Waluigi probably added on this too:

In whole though, the fan-favorite characters turned to Assists are very divisive as a consolation prize within the fanbase, and doesn't mesh well with how they're mixed with mooks or similarly minor NPCs from the games featured.

Last edited:
Top Bottom