• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

cybersai

Smash Ace
There -was- a lot of piggybacking on DK rumors, largely from (ex-)ResetEra users who made inferences from the old Nintendo job postings for 2D platformers, after actually credible people had had the intel for the better part of two years. Star Fox Grand Prix, this ain’t. Keep in mind, Nintendo EPD is based out of some of the major Japanese metropolitan areas that were hit the hardest over the past 15 months. Keep listening and at some point in the not too distant future, you’ll hear it coming.
Yeah, we know we'll get a new DK game eventually obviously, but I guess we'll have to wait till next year.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I tempered my expectations so, strangely, I wasn't bothered about no DK. I might have a slight grudge against Super Monkey Ball though. Saw the bananas and coins immediately thought DK. Of course, DK isn't celebrating it's 20th lol. I'm actually quite excited for the game however. Love Monkey Ball.

I'm personally hyped for Kazuya. I'm a huge Tekken fan, and Kazuya is one of my mains from that franchise.

My brother and I got excited for Cruisin. I think we might be the only ones excited though lol.

I'm excited for Metroid and Zelda, too! Overall, it is the best showing at E3, just could've been better with DK.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Well, even though I was hoping for a new DK, I still had a lot of other wishes fulfilled from Nintendo so I'm moderately pleased. Obviously it would have been even better with DK, but I'll take what I can get.

Although when I saw those bananas on Super Monkey Ball my brain for a split second thought it was DK.....

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I might have a slight grudge against Super Monkey Ball though. Saw the bananas and coins immediately thought DK. Of course, DK isn't celebrating it's 20th lol. I'm actually quite excited for the game however. Love Monkey Ball.
Monkey Ball's been struggling pretty hard on getting back to limelight these last years, after all. I'm just happy Banana Mania might be a modern reiteration on what SMB Deluxe was meant to be back in PS2, but was busted by the analog stick values not being as suited on PS2 as it was on GCN, IIRC.

On that end, I feel the new DK would have had a more major spot on the Direct, not being shoved to the headline segment of it. Nintendo EPD I'm sure would want to give more bigger room for their pet project to breath. :101:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
There -was- a lot of piggybacking on DK rumors, largely from (ex-)ResetEra users who made inferences from the old Nintendo job postings for 2D platformers, after actually credible people had had the intel for the better part of two years. Star Fox Grand Prix, this ain’t. Keep in mind, Nintendo EPD is based out of some of the major Japanese metropolitan areas that were hit the hardest over the past 15 months. Keep listening and at some point in the not too distant future, you’ll hear it coming.
And their out is that they advertised this Direct as mostly 2021 releasing games (Zelda being 2022 shocked no one). So the next Direct, which I'm predicting September, can have DK announcements for next year. They never said the game has to release on its anniversary year. Zelda has much experience in that timing.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I know I said I don't see them revealing DK in July in time for the anniversary, but Zelda's anniversary is... pretty bare bones. We heard from insiders we'll see Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and I think some other collection/remaster. Now we have Aonuma saying nothing like that is planned for the anniversary. See, I thought Zelda's anniversary would be more extravagant, overshadowing DK's and even Metroid's. But it looks like that might not be the case.

I'm still not sure Nintendo will acknowledge the anniversary, but a reveal in July might actually be more plausible than I initially thought.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Given Nintendo revived Advance Wars after an over 13 year hiatus, and keeps Metroid around despite low sales, it's pretty obvious Donkey Kong will never be put on the backburner for too long.

Nintendo always keeps most of their franchises around unless it's Earthbound or F-zero, oddly. lol

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
My favorite Gameboy series growing up was Advance Wars, so I am super excited for Re-Boot Camp. Bummed that there was no DK news. Maybe there's something still being worked on though? They keep putting DK and Diddy in Mario sports games so I'm sure they haven't abandoned the series.

Overall a meh Direct for me, sadly Kazuya wasn't on any sort of list I was hoping would make it, but he's cool enough and I understand it. Was surprised Warioware is returning, in a good way. Game looks clean.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Tekken was yet another concept character that was cut in the past. With the second chance theory going strong, perhaps there is a sliver of hope for Dixie after all.......

Especially now that we know the last character isn't getting revealed at E3, there's no "OMG IT HAS TO BE AN ENORMOUS THIRD PARTY" expectation.

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
the consideration that Smash always ends in a not big note doesn't click so much with me. I mean, there is a big difference between base game characters announcements and dlc characters reveals. So the fact they ended with Shulk and Incineroar doesn't matter so much. But even in this case, I'll say something later in this post.
I think we should look more at the last dlc announcements: for Smash 4 they ended with Bayonetta; Bayonetta isn't a super big, over hype inducer character, but still was a surprise character (almost mind-blowing, I'd say), with more than decent support and she won (more or less) the ballot, so she was a very requested character by definition.
For Smash Ultimate FP1 they ended with Byleth, of course, but they revealed Byleth only AFTER they announced new dlcs were going to come; so that wasn't an end at all, and it's clear that they already knew that almost certainly there would have been a second FP after the first one (only if the first one and Ultimate in general bumped very hard in terms of sales, an FP2 wouldn't have been worked on).
These aren't enough data to say anything about how much big the last dlc will be, so we can dismiss (in this moment, at least) any fan theories based upon alleged past tendencies in Smash history, and bound ourselves to the logic alone. The logic I think would say anyone that the best thing to do in order to convey hype is to end with a veeery big, unexpected, maybe mind-blowing character. Unfortunately I don't think that character could be Dixie.
Of course though, never say never! Also because, the difference with Smash4 dlc is that Ultimate dlc are selled mainly as pack, so in order to sell a pack it can be useful to reveal the biggest characters earlier, and the less hype inducing after. So, ending with a Nintendo character? after the budget to buy guest stars to sell the pass is already spent. Yes, it's possible... but I guess that in this case they could choose to end with a pokèmon character: maybe a pokèmon character doesn't bring much hype, but for sure everyone know pokèmon, it has many many fans and so it's likelya pokèmon character would sell enough. So, I see it as a good final character. We shouldn't forget also (and now I arrive in the point I alluded to earlier in this post) that for Smash Ultimate base game they ended with the reveal of Incineroar (and Ken): I don't think they considered this ending on a low note. Of course it's not so high like a guest star or a Ridley/K Rool, but still they knew that it, since is a pokèmon, would have made happy many people. There is who thinks that Incineroar isn't the best pokèmon they could choose for this, because not the most popular one, and that for this reason Sakurai announced it for last (so, "ending on a low note"), but I don't think it's true: if they thought it wasn't a hype character, they would have just chosen another pokèmon. Or am I wrong?

So, tl;dr: I don't think they necessarily will end on a low note, even if it's likely the last character won't be the most megaton hype character in the pass (and so maybe a first party character, or a relatively smaller guest star), but still a character with many fans and that can sell much. It definitely can be a pokémon again (but as I said yesterday, SWSH is already old news; the next generation is still too far away; and they never choosed from a remake until now).
OR it can be another Nintendo advertising character, and in this case I could get very mad if it won't be Dixie this time either!

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I disagree here. The more i think about it, most recent Smash annoncements at the last minute or that are big events tended to be double reveals.

-Pretty much every single E3 that features Smash has more than one newcomer.
-Smash 4 DLC ended with Both Corrin and Bayo being revealed.
-Ken and Incineroar were announced in the Same reveal for Smash Ultimate's base game. (plus Plant)
-the time gap between Terry and Byelth becomes not as strong of a counter argument when you realize that the same Direct that annnounced Terry also announced More DLC, and during Byleth's reveal they announced it being Fighter Pass 2. Im pretty sure had FP2 not existed, they may have wanted to make a Final Presentation ala Smash 4 and would have announced both Terry and Byleth at the same time.

The whole argument of "they want to drag reveals" seems to have originated because last year was a very dire year for Nintendo, so it made sense to milk the Smash hype as much as possible, now that we will likely see new Nintendo games that can carry hype and excitement, i don't think it's necessary to rely on Smash hype anymore, especially when people are wary of how the last Smash reveals always tend to be (Incineroar and Byleth didn't put the world ablaze, and both of those scenarios they announced DLC to keep the hype going) so to drag Smash reveals to a few months just to keep some minor hype that will inevitably backlash into dissapointment or into mixed reactions seems like a Fool's Errand to me. But this Nintendo and they love making stupid choices, which is admitedly the strongest argument anyone can give regarding this theory.
.................why is it that always when im optimistic regarding Smash DLC, im completely wrong?

Everything else about the Direct checks out though. Metroid, Advance Wars and WarioWare prove that Nintendo is listening, so hopefully DK is next on the line as the Next Direct's Attention Hog game.

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
I honestly thought we would have gotten some kind of mention or any news on that rumored DK new game (the 3D one) if Gamexplain is to be believed. I hope we do get something from that since I genuinely like DK64, flaws and all, and would love to see Nintendo taking another stab at the concept.

:bowser:.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
While Im disappointed we got no DK. Gotta be honest I was still satisfied with the direct. We got a newish Mario Party that actually looks like its not gonna suck cause its taking from series past. A new Wario Ware game, Metroid freaking Dread, and an Advance Wars revival. While no heavy hitters at least we know they are coming. 2021 may be another "light" Switch year. 2022 is looking like 2017 the sequel with heavy hitters like Mario + Rabbids 2, BOTW2, Pokemon Legends Arceus, and Splatoon 3. Prime 4 and Bayo 3 are most likely 2022 releases as well and hopefully a new DK game will be among them.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I honestly thought we would have gotten some kind of mention or any news on that rumored DK new game (the 3D one) if Gamexplain is to be believed. I hope we do get something from that since I genuinely like DK64, flaws and all, and would love to see Nintendo taking another stab at the concept.

:bowser:.
If you don't mind me asking, what did GameXplain say on the matter? Do they know it's 3D?

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
If you don't mind me asking, what did GameXplain say on the matter? Do they know it's 3D?
It was this. So while not 3D it is something. The team that worked with Odyssey (and Jungle Beat for that matter) may be working on a new title. It may or may not be the same title or a different one or something else entirely but again, it's just that: RUMOURS.

I just hope something indeed is happening but who knows.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Just imagine a Donkey Kong Direct:

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat spiritual successor, developed by Namco Bandai.

Donkey Kong characters in Mario Golf and Mario Party.

New Donkey Kong developed by Nintendo EPD.

Ends it with Dixie Kong as a bonus character in Smash Ultimate.

They didn't reveal the new DK at E3 because they wanted to show off all of these other new projects at once to try and push DK as one of their big pillar IPs. Boom! Drops the mic, accidentally breaks it, can't afford to replace it, gets sued, doesn't like to get sued, escalation starts, fight breaks out, goes to jail, gets lonely in jail, gets new cellmate, doesn't like cellmate, wants to be lonely again, cellmate jailbreaks, can't sleep because of the damp air, attempts to cover up the hole on the wall, gets caught, goes to solitary confinement, has existential crisis, regrets dropping the mic. YEAH!! 👍

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I seriously hope the next DK is 3D. After seeing other major franchises getting both 2D and 3D games on Switch its only fair DK gets the same treatment.

Mario has Odyssey and Bowsers Fury for 3D and NSMBUD and Mario Maker 2 for 2D

Zelda has BOTW, BOTW2, and Skyward Sword HD for 3D and Links Awakening for 2D.

Metroid has Prime 4 for 3D and Dread for 2D

Hell even Kirby's next game is heavily rumored to be 3D. If thats the case we will have Star Allies and a 3D Kirby on Switch.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Since 3D games obviously take longer to develop than 2D ones, I do wonder if DK not coming out till 2022 implies a 3D game. I think if they were working on another 2D sidescroller of some time it wouldn't take so many years.

But who knows. Another 2D Donkey Kong would be great too as they've all been fantastic so far.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
If the Switch pro is real, maybe they're holding back the new DK game to coincide with its release?
Imagine that 4K fur.
As long as its not exclusive, I certainly hope I don't have to buy a brand new console iteration just to play the new DK game.

That would be the biggest Monkey's Paw (pun intended) of all.

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
I'd like to see some moveset ideas about a Dixie and Kiddy tag team. Not that it would necessarily be my favourite Dixie's incarnation, but it's still a possibility I wouldn't mind at all (if done well).

I have a couple of ideas about it too, but now it's veeery late in my country and I must sleep. Maybe tomorrow I'll post them

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Man things got quiet around here after the Direct. Since the final reveal is still MIA that means we can still build some goodwill for Dixie until the Dawn of the Final Day. More moveset ideas will be on the way.
I think for a lot of people, they're not sure if they'll have the same kind of energy for further speculation and guessing in the next three months. Part of the hope for a dual reveal was that the DLC could effectively be wrapped up and regardless of the choices for the final two characters; things would be finished. Now though its going to be drawn out till essentially the September Direct and I think some are just running out of steam.

I'm still planning to stay semi-active, especially in this thread given the interesting discussion, but its going to be struggle for a lot of people to keep the hype going.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I think for a lot of people, they're not sure if they'll have the same kind of energy for further speculation and guessing in the next three months. Part of the hope for a dual reveal was that the DLC could effectively be wrapped up and regardless of the choices for the final two characters; things would be finished. Now though its going to be drawn out till essentially the September Direct and I think some are just running out of steam.

I'm still planning to stay semi-active, especially in this thread given the interesting discussion, but its going to be struggle for a lot of people to keep the hype going.
I think fanbases in general are just packing ot up now. There's only one character left. The issue is that not only was Kazuya not on people's radar, but Sakurai himself originally kind of shot down the idea of Tekken being added solely due to implementation. So what everyone thought was a narrowing selection of characters ended up being any one's guess now.

Plus, this has been one of the worse Smash speculation cycles in general. More people celebrating who isn't added than who is, happily "sticking it" to fanbases just because they were obnoxious in some degree. Plus, people have been acting like the speculation was far more important than the game itself. I think people are just burned out by it all.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I actually think, if there is a bonus character this FP, that it is gonna be Dixie Kong.
Not expecting, but... given this entire pass has been missed opportunities...and Dixie Kong was the most prominent of the known missed characters...

(Granted... as many Nintendo characters as I still want- Toad, Meowth, and Dixie Kong are the ones I cannot deny are actual All Stars).

Not an attack: This mentally you described is absolutely selfish.
"I'm tired of playing the game, so no one should get to play."
I'm hoping for more FIghters Passes.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I think fanbases in general are just packing ot up now. There's only one character left. The issue is that not only was Kazuya not on people's radar, but Sakurai himself originally kind of shot down the idea of Tekken being added solely due to implementation. So what everyone thought was a narrowing selection of characters ended up being any one's guess now.

Plus, this has been one of the worse Smash speculation cycles in general. More people celebrating who isn't added than who is, happily "sticking it" to fanbases just because they were obnoxious in some degree. Plus, people have been acting like the speculation was far more important than the game itself. I think people are just burned out by it all.
It was already like that before Ultimate tbh, and the results of some character reveals tend to always kill speculation far as what to expect, making speculating itself often pointless. When it comes to just passionately supporting a character or series I like such as Dixie I'll pitch in, but beyond that... Burnt out.

p.s. I meant to make some thought out good luck post here earlier like others were around 11th hour prior to the E3 thing, but never found the time with something I was busy playing prior to that day. It's just as well though.

I know there will always be another Smash (just like there will always be another Mario Kart, etc), but I've had so much fulfillment from Ultimate, I honestly wouldn't be mad if it was my last one. Depending on the roster/cuts and direction of the next Smash or the one after that, I may skip it. Nothing lasts forever, and if I don't have the same fulfillment with Smash anymore, I'm not obligated to continue supporting it. Mostly speaking in the context of an NU Smash that's post-Sakurai (because face it, Smash will outlive him whether he returns again next time or not), but still, I've had my fill and rides with the series up to this point.

Was happy with Metroid Dread, but Kazuya in Smash just got no reaction out of me (am indifferent to Tekken). RIP Lloyd with that too; I fully expect his Mii costume to return during the presentation.

I understand if anyone's even more skeptical of a new DK game on Switch after E3 and they got their hopes up for it to be shown then, but Nintendo mentioned other games not shown that are still being worked on, and I think DK's gotta be one of them. I'm not sure if said new game would be another soft reboot like DKCR but either way, I see no reason for Dixie to be absent again until the game after just so it can feel like DKC1 again with being back to basics, but I guess anything's possible. Securing her in a future Smash will remain a challenge either way, but long as she and the series have a good future, it'll be fine. Like Smash is important, as is getting good playable representation in it (in the case of Dixie as one of the last missing pieces), but the well-being of a character's home series is even more important.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I posted your artwork BirthNote! And even though the thread's been quiet, it got a lot of attention. Many people still are excited at the thought of seeing Dixie in Smash.

Unfortunately, I did not realize when posting that I was also posting your Kongspiracy that Squawks spat out "seeds". They are EGGS, BirthNote! They even say so in the manual! But I was curious and did a poll to see what people thought, and somehow most people agree with you?!

Is this the new #WrinklyNeverDied movement?

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I posted your artwork BirthNote! And even though the thread's been quiet, it got a lot of attention. Many people still are excited at the thought of seeing Dixie in Smash.

Unfortunately, I did not realize when posting that I was also posting your Kongspiracy that Squawks spat out "seeds". They are EGGS, BirthNote! They even say so in the manual! But I was curious and did a poll to see what people thought, and somehow most people agree with you?!

Is this the new #WrinklyNeverDied movement?

LMFAO...OH shoot I didn't know they were eggs! I just thought "Oh Squawks shoots seeds like Neckies shoot seeds" and didn't put any thought into it past that😅. So, the people are on my side but canon says it's eggs... if enough people believe my side we'll become the norm! We can retcon this, along with the idea that Cranky's DK's grandpa. They're clearly father and son, and our current DK is Adult DKJr.

Just kidding, but in all seriousness I'm glad it's got attention. I think that's the most any of my Dixie Kong ideas has. I like the background you made as well! Would it be best if I kept the backgrounds transparent to give you freedom to do your own thing?

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
LMFAO...OH shoot I didn't know they were eggs! I just thought "Oh Squawks shoots seeds like Neckies shoot seeds" and didn't put any thought into it past that😅. So, the people are on my side but canon says it's eggs... if enough people believe my side we'll become the norm! We can retcon this, along with the idea that Cranky's DK's grandpa. They're clearly father and son, and our current DK is Adult DKJr.

Just kidding, but in all seriousness I'm glad it's got attention. I think that's the most any of my Dixie Kong ideas has. I like the background you made as well! Would it be best if I kept the backgrounds transparent to give you freedom to do your own thing?
No, no, the DK Jr part is correct! Keep going on that.

And sure, if you want! But if you think of a background idea, of course just include it with the background already. If not, I could come up with something. I think just seeing your artwork next to the words "SUPER SMASH BROS." adds to the mystique. Like some lost concept art from Mr. Sakurai's desk.

Top Bottom