• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

R O F L

Smash Ace
Seeing the mock up dioramas for the Donkey Kong expansion at Super Nintendo Land has me worried. It's very much in the visual style of Returns.
If they've been making a DK game in Japan for the last 3 years, you'd think some Kremling stuff would be on show here if they plan for them to return.
View attachment 304671

Then again, they might be doing it to stop spoilers from getting out.
I mean, it's just general Donkey Kong. There's no Kremlins, no Tikis, no Snowmads. Nothing here really adds to the prospect that the Kremlins maybe aren't coming back or that they might not be working on a new DK game. If anything at all, this just means a new DKC game wouldn't have a large thematic difference.
I also doubt the Temples would be changed back to the Kremlin ones in a new DK game (it didn't even make much sense in DKC anyway).

R O F L

Smash Ace
I dunno, if we really were getting a big mainline Donkey Kong game this year, I think it would have been shown off in the direct. There's no reason to keep that hidden.

Makes me wonder if instead of a major game it'll just be a spinoff or side game of some kind. We've had spinoffs in the past like Donkey Konga, King of Swing/Jungle Climber, or hell even Diddy Kong Racing (and the canceled Donkey Kong Racing), so it's possible. Dixie Kong usually appears in most of these spinoffs so hopefully she has a presence in them if only so she doesn't disappear from the games again for another decade like in the early 2000's.
Keep in mind that the direct was only for the first half of 2021, we know literally nothing about the latter half of 2021 yet. There's still a large possibility that a DK game can still happen this year.

Some people seem to be acting like this is going to be the only direct this year.

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
This is a real good question. I think we should see the Arcade as separate from both the Mario and DK series, but a clear connection to both.
I agree. The DK and Mario series were born from the arcade game but now they're separate entities. Whenever I think of the DK series, I think of DKC and beyond. I think a lot of people did before Brawl.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I agree. The DK and Mario series were born from the arcade game but now they're separate entities. Whenever I think of the DK series, I think of DKC and beyond. I think a lot of people did before Brawl.
I wouldn't blame Brawl perse, it was a factor , sure. But I would rather blame the whole Mario vs Donkey Kong sub series. And Nintendo's approach to DK as a character before DKC Returns. Nowadays, Mario games have more homage to the Arcade than DK games, as seen with Mario Odyssey.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Is Donkey Kong a Donkey Kong game though ?...

Come on, you all know what I mean. :)
What makes it character x's game? The answer I believe lies in the focus of the game, and depends on the franchise. For example, Super Mario Bros. is a 'Mario' game since Mario is the chief protagonist. However, this convention would not work for The Legend of Zelda (named for the subject in need of rescue), and so the focus is on the story surrounding Zelda, despite her only appearing at the end in the original game. Here, the title plays a more significant part in determining the focus. Donkey Kong is named for the antagonist of the original arcade games, suggesting the game makers want your attention on Donkey Kong, though you play as Mario (the relative sprite sizes and possible actions of Donkey Kong compared to Mario also contribute to this focal phenomenon). Another instance is when the title does not reference the protagonist. For example, MediEvil does not mention Sir Daniel, but those who have played the game would almost unananimously call it 'Sir Daniel's' game. The focus is on Sir Daniel. Every game is different, as well as the rules for determining focus...

... Again, this is why I think Donkey Kong is truly a 'Donkey Kong' game.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
DK Jr. and Stanley are also the protagonist of the other two games, not Mario. While it's easy to consider the arcade original to be a Mario game, the trilogy as a whole is all about Donkey Kong.

Simply put, the arcade DK is a series all to itself that spawn successful spin-offs: Super Mario Bros. and Donkey Kong Country. There is nothing wrong with saying Mario or Pauline is a Donkey Kong or a Super Mario character as it's technically both true. It's also not wrong to say Yoshi and Wario are Super Mario characters as they owe their existence to that series while also recognizing they have their own series they can claim as their own.

However, it is wrong to say Donkey, Diddy, Dixie, Cranky, (insert DK character here) are Super Mario characters because they have never stepped foot in the main franchise beyond sports and party spin-offs. Might as well call Link, Inkling, and the Animal Crossing characters as Super Mario characters if that was the case. While Odyssey had DKC easter eggs, none of the Kongs physically appeared in the game. The 8- bit DK present doesn't become modern DK or Cranky when he falls off into the 3D verse so I think it's safe to say he was some kind of animatronic during the celebration.

K. Rool is a Super Mario character too, however, as he was disguised as a street. :troll:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Even though Im pretty much over Ultimate. I gotta say with Pyra/Mythra's inclusion just makes it more obvious of Dixie's absents. Dixie should definitely be in the game alongside Peach, Daisy, Zelda, Samus, Lucina, Isabelle, Inkling, Min Min, Palutena, Rosalina, and now Pyra/Mythra. All of these iconic Nintendo heroines and one of the first playable (after Samus of course) is still yet in the game. It sucks man as their is gonna be a ton of inevitable Nintendo female all-star fan art when Pyra/Mythra release and Dixie wont be in any of them.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Impa's fantastic use in Age of Calamity already makes her lack of an appearance in Smash even more unfortunate, and if Dixie gets a prominent role in the next DK game, I suspect the same will be said for her as well.

Its amazing how much the two of them and Bandana Dee being in the base game would have immensely improved my overall thoughts on the DLC. Its a fairly solid collection of fighters, but every time I look at what we've gotten I'm reminded how of incomplete so many various Nintendo franchises still feel.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa's fantastic use in Age of Calamity already makes her lack of an appearance in Smash even more unfortunate, and if Dixie gets a prominent role in the next DK game, I suspect the same will be said for her as well.

Its amazing how much the two of them and Bandana Dee being in the base game would have immensely improved my overall thoughts on the DLC. Its a fairly solid collection of fighters, but every time I look at what we've gotten I'm reminded how of incomplete so many various Nintendo franchises still feel.
Impa and Dixie, literally my two most wanted... It's a shame it's gotta be like this yeah.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Pauline actually debuted in Donkey Kong, under the name Lady. The thing is? The franchise in Smash is referred to as Donkey Kong Country, not Donkey Kong.

It's still arbitrary, but Pauline is both a Donkey Kong and a Mario character fullstop. She debuted as a DK character, and has eventually gotten into the actual Super Mario games. She's never been in Donkey Kong Country either. Oddly enough most of her games specifically do not list Super Mario either, as it's just Donkey Kong as the name and sometimes Mario specifically. She reappears in a spin-off crossover that's meant to retake the story(or continue it) from DK Arcade. She's more or less best thought of as a DK(not DKC) character, or if you will, DK Arcade, since it's most accurate at this point. Just like Donkey Kong Jr.

I think, if they were to add her, it'll depend upon her design and abilities. If she focuses on DK Arcade, it's clearly DKC, if she's based upon Odyssey, Super Mario. Simple.

At least this isn't an issue with Dixie(and DK Jr. would automatically be thrown under Donkey Kong Country even if it's slightly off).

Vector Victor

Smash Lord

Zelda's lack of new characters in Smash for over 10 years, despite being one of Nintendo's biggest, successful franchises is downright bizarre and illogical.

The DLC picks are nice and 3rd party is fun and all, but Nintendo has so many of their own characters that they could and should use first. And while Min Min, Pyra and Mythra give some hope to that 1st parties can be added, its a bit warying that they are first parties from just the last 5 years (which is more of an issue for me for DLC than it's focus on 3rd parties).

Dixie was considered for Brawl. They should have followed through with that plan already.

TropicalBreeze

Smash Apprentice
I also doubt the Temples would be changed back to the Kremlin ones in a new DK game (it didn't even make much sense in DKC anyway).
Donkey Kong Country is right next to the sunken city of Kremlantis, an old Kremling city, so it's probable that the main island also had a Kremling settlement one point. Hence the Kremling temples.
"""Donkey Kong Country""" is rightful Kremling Klay.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I come bearing an edit of my favorite Smash 4 poster done for fun. Ofcourse, I made it a point to include our girl!

I really wish these were still a thing...
I'd love to see what Dixie's poster would have looked like.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hopefully Sony's State of Play isn't as underwhelming as last week's Direct.

Anyway, thanks ChronoBound ChronoBound for the feedback. Running this thread is probably one of the most consistent things I've done as a side project. I don't jump on the discussion often but I'm happy it's self-sustaining; people come up with topics frequently and they get their times to shine. It's a nice, steady stream.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Even though Im pretty much over Ultimate. I gotta say with Pyra/Mythra's inclusion just makes it more obvious of Dixie's absents. Dixie should definitely be in the game alongside Peach, Daisy, Zelda, Samus, Lucina, Isabelle, Inkling, Min Min, Palutena, Rosalina, and now Pyra/Mythra. All of these iconic Nintendo heroines and one of the first playable (after Samus of course) is still yet in the game. It sucks man as their is gonna be a ton of inevitable Nintendo female all-star fan art when Pyra/Mythra release and Dixie wont be in any of them.
It's truly a sick joke that Dixie isn't in Smash at this point.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
It's truly a sick joke that Dixie isn't in Smash at this point.
We just gotta keep advocating for her. For a lot of people, Perception is Reality, so if she gets a healthy level of support and hype, outsiders will be excited as well. "If enough people are saying it, it must be true!" is a powerful mindset.
Racing in style.

She looks great in HD. Thank you for sharing it, and thank you SeashoreWar SeashoreWar for posting it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Donkey Kong Country is right next to the sunken city of Kremlantis, an old Kremling city, so it's probable that the main island also had a Kremling settlement one point. Hence the Kremling temples.
"""Donkey Kong Country""" is rightful Kremling Klay.
This is actually quite mind blowing. It could indeed be that the Kremlings are the original inhabitants of DK Island. Cranky and son probably came to live and settle there after the event of the Arcade, or they could also be the original habitants there. Would suit more with the Kong lore of King Kong, which our King family is obviously based off.

They might've simply always been warring as well, as both Kong and Kremling are the dominant species on the Island.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Dixie Kong is so cute. How the hell is she not in Smash yet? :(
She's a creation of Rare despite being completely owned by Nintendo that's why. That was the reason it took us so long to get K. Rool in Smash as according to Hyle Russell from DK Vine's source Dave Throat, the higher ups were keeping K. Rool buried until they saw his amazing performance in the Smash Ballot. It was clear they had something against K. Rool or just Rare's characters in general. Nintendo seems to treat characters they didn't create but own with less respect.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I come bearing an edit of my favorite Smash 4 poster done for fun. Ofcourse, I made it a point to include our girl!

I really wish these were still a thing...
Im still upset Simon didn't get an official poster, or K.Rool, or Ridley, or anyone except Inklings and Pyra.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think with Nintendo, there's a tendency (outside Mario) to keep recurring characters small, typically averaging around 3 and it taking a certain series of circumstances to end up with a 4th.

Kirby revolves around the title character, Dedede, and Meta Knight. Bandana Dee largely came into prominence because he had a solid design and they needed another character for the 4 player mode, then it was off to the races.

Metroid essentially just has Samus and Ridley, and even the latter has titles without him or simply featuring a variation of him.

Both Pokémon and Fire Emblem essentially have new characters in each game with returning ones only getting focus in spin-offs.

LoZ has the Tri-Force trio as the bedrock for most titles, with Impa being the closest to another recurring character, and even then she's only really come into prominence in the last decade.

Star Fox is essentially the exception and even its been greatly deemphasized in importance and quantity over the years.

In that sense Country is significant because Nintendo seemed to view Donkey, DIddy, and maybe Cranky as essential, especially given their focus in DKC Returns and Diddy making it into a few Mario adjacent spin-offs. It took the Smash Ballot to make them realize that K Rool was considered just as important by many fans and given the overall positive reception to Dixie in Tropical Freeze, one hopes the same happens for her.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think with Nintendo, there's a tendency (outside Mario) to keep recurring characters small, typically averaging around 3 and it taking a certain series of circumstances to end up with a 4th.

Kirby revolves around the title character, Dedede, and Meta Knight; Bandana Dee largely coming into prominence because he had a solid design and they needed another character for the 4 player mode; then it was off to the races.

Metroid essentially just has Samus and Ridley, and even the latter has titles without him or simply featuring a variation of him.

Both Pokémon and Fire Emblem essentially have new characters in each game with returning ones only getting focus in spin-offs.

LoZ has the Tri-Force trio as the bedrock for most titles, with Impa being the closest to another recurring character, and even then she's only really come into prominence in the last decade.

Star Fox is essentially the exception and even its been greatly deemphasized in importance and quantity over the years.

In that sense Country is significant because Nintendo seemed to view Donkey, DIddy, and maybe Cranky as essential, especially given their focus in DKC Returns and Diddy making it into a few Mario adjacent spin-offs. It took the Smash Ballot to make them realize that K Rool was considered just as important by many fans and given the overall positive reception to Dixie in Tropical Freeze, one hopes the same happens for her.
If Cranky was so essential, maybe they should've pushed for him to be a newcomer for Smash 4. It would've made the absence of Dixie and K.Rool a little more bearable.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
If Cranky was so essential, maybe they should've pushed for him to be a newcomer for Smash 4. It would've made the absence of Dixie and K.Rool a little more bearable.
With Cranky the almost seems to be that he's an essential NPC for the Donkey Kong series; one not necessarily always playable or critical for the plot but an expected element of the setting.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
This is actually quite mind blowing. It could indeed be that the Kremlings are the original inhabitants of DK Island. Cranky and son probably came to live and settle there after the event of the Arcade, or they could also be the original habitants there. Would suit more with the Kong lore of King Kong, which our King family is obviously based off.

They might've simply always been warring as well, as both Kong and Kremling are the dominant species on the Island.
Even if that theory is true and the Kremlings are the true natives to DK Isle, I still see them as the bad guys since they stole the Kongs' banana hoard in the original DKC and tried to starve them to death right?

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
With Cranky the almost seems to be that he's an essential NPC for the Donkey Kong series; one not necessarily always playable or critical for the plot but an expected element of the setting.
Well he's literally always been there. I think he has some merritt to become playable one day. Ideally, we'd have DK, Diddy, K.Rool, Dixie, Cranky and Funky. I would say that's the ideal roster for DKC, that's also realistic and will forever be "relevant" no matter what. It's been more stable of a regular cast than whatever Mario and Zelda have going in their rosters. Rosalina and Bowser Jr., whilst prominent, aren't appearing in all the mainline games. Sheik was a one off disguise of Zelda and Ganondorf hasn't appeared in a new game in a while... Now look at the DKC cast in comparison.
Even if that theory is true and the Kremlings are the true natives to DK Isle, I still see them as the bad guys since they stole the Kongs' banana hoard in the original DKC and tried to starve them to death right?
Oh they definitely are. But the way they're acting in DKC1 with the building of the factories and mining and whatnot seems like they only wanted to exploit the natural resources of DK Island. It's quite possible they build the whole of Krokodile Island off of resources of DK Island.

And Donkey Kong only really got into action when it started to become actually personal.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think the practical benefit of keeping Cranky is that he's basically the most prominent character with dialogue since DKC1. Given the tendency to limit the main DK trio as relatively silent protagonists, he's useful for delivering potential exposition and the ability to deliver one liners.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Ehhh there's no real reason why they stole the bananas; I remember during DKC's 25th anniversary retrospective, it boiled down to "Ummm IDK, they're monkeys. Monkeys like bananas so....someone stole their bananas I guess? Just play the game it's not important!"

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ehhh there's no real reason why they stole the bananas; I remember during DKC's 25th anniversary retrospective, it boiled down to "Ummm IDK, they're monkeys. Monkeys like bananas so....someone stole their bananas I guess? Just play the game it's not important!"
They actually remembered the anniversary? I thought they all forgot about it. Wasn't that a big deal here years ago?

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
They actually remembered the anniversary? I thought they all forgot about it. Wasn't that a big deal here years ago?
It was former Rare devs remembering it and not really Nintendo sadly. GameXplain did an interview with a few of the devs. Here's one of the vids they posted:

Top Bottom