• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm the type that doesn't give a **** about the tier list, but if Dixie got in where do y'all think she would be? I think she would be just as good or better than Diddy due to her floatyness with her hair and being just as fast. I think Dixie would become the queen of the competitive scene.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I think she would either be like, low-mid to low, or one of the best in the game. I can't explain why I feel that way, it's just a hunch.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
It's too much of a hypothetical. You have to factor in animation frames, endlag, hitboxes and hurtboxes, attack/air/movement speed and the actual moveset, and this all changes from game to game, or in extreme cases, patch to patch. She'd have to be factored in with the other characters for balance's sake as well. How will Kirby be affected when he absorbs her is also another question.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Tiers also differ when it comes to online with lag and things considered; there being cheese that some characters wouldn’t get away with offline, with wifi making it less reactable.

It’s easy to see Dixie having more going for her in the meta than K Rool, DK, and such in any case. Whether she’d be mid or high though is anyone’s guess, but anyone that likes her will use her regardless of said placement. Hope her playstyle will keep you invested too.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Finally back with the next update to Donkey Kong Racing! This time it's the guest characters. Tooty is the only one that didn't get a completely new drawing although she also got some changes as well. Berri got redesigned again, Yooka got a new outfit and Panther King added some flair to his robe.

Comparison shot between the old and the new.
Seeing Dillon here is enough for me to get this

Dixie may be mid tier at least. Her floating will play a factor against her

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Hm....

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Finally back with the next update to Donkey Kong Racing! This time it's the guest characters. Tooty is the only one that didn't get a completely new drawing although she also got some changes as well. Berri got redesigned again, Yooka got a new outfit and Panther King added some flair to his robe.

Comparison shot between the old and the new.
Welcome back, Seashore! Another excellent update, I really like Yooka's new outfit.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hm....

I guess it was a good thing that Candy wasn't in DKC2 with it being Dixie's first gane and her and Diddy being the stars. But with DK being kidnapped by the Kaptain, I don't really see how Candy and DK's relationship would have detracted Diddy and Dixie's in the game since DK is locked up throughout the whole game into the end with K. Rool's boss fight.

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
WoL is much better than Subspace. The Pikachu/Samus levels and the Great Maze of Rehash at the end of the campaign were torture. And the Custscenes are overrated, most of them are just 30 seconds of two random characters looking at each other and nodding before they venture off in a generic biome because 90% of them have a no talking rule. I can see the appeal, and there were cool scenes, buuuuuut the spirit of the SSE CGI cutscenes live on in the modern reveal trailers that started with Smash 4.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Diddy Kong and Snake stole the show in Subspace Emissary. Their scenes were legit great, especially Diddy. Diddy dragging Fox and Falco, him waking up from being a trophy to see him freak out a bigger evil version of himself was right in front of him, him stuck in the arwing, him shooting the bullet bills in the air like a boss, him being Diddy Kong, etc.

Snake had the interaction with Lucario and Meta Knight lifting his box, and there was something funny about how Snake saved the princesses.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I appreciated the voice acting in the opening scene of WoL. Wish there had been more scenes like it along the way with characters interacting, but Ultimate was already an ambitious game to start with, so I guess you can’t have your cake and eat it too. Not to mention most of Brawl’s development time and resources went to Subspace, which was kind of a problem where the rest of the game was concerned. I agree it’s fair to see the character reveal trailers for Smash 4 and Ultimate as the spiritual successor to Subspace if nothing else, with them being the “cutscenes” of it.

Agree on Diddy and Snake from what little I do remember of SSE. Thought it would’ve been funny if Diddy dragged Wolf the same way he did the other spacies, but Wolf had no part in the story due to being a last minute addition.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Diddy Kong and Snake stole the show in Subspace Emissary. Their scenes were legit great, especially Diddy. Diddy dragging Fox and Falco, him waking up from being a trophy to see him freak out a bigger evil version of himself was right in front of him, him stuck in the arwing, him shooting the bullet bills in the air like a boss, him being Diddy Kong, etc.

Snake had the interaction with Lucario and Meta Knight lifting his box, and there was something funny about how Snake saved the princesses.
Yeah, Diddy had some of the best scenes in Subspace Emissary. Diddy was one of the MVPs in that arc.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I'm the type that doesn't give a **** about the tier list, but if Dixie got in where do y'all think she would be? I think she would be just as good or better than Diddy due to her floatyness with her hair and being just as fast. I think Dixie would become the queen of the competitive scene.
I do not believe there is (much) weight to tier lists either, but I can just imagine what competitive players may notice. I can see her being floaty, and quick, like you said, but I can also imagine (+) her having decent range with her ponytail, and (-) players complaining about how she lacks disjoint attacks, lasting hitboxes, and priority, as well as comparatively high endlag on her most defining attacks (such as spinning), making her easily negated in speedy exchanges with ranged, quick characters. I can just hear people carrying on about the struggle of a Snake matchup.

If I were to guess, I think professional players would likely give her a mid to upper-mid-tier placement.

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
I meant to ask something... even if Dixie DOESN'T appear in Ultimate after all, what do you think this will mean going forward for her with the Mario spin-offs since she made her debut in Mario Kart Tour?

Someone on Twitter bought up that it appears that Dixie has officially been "adopted" by Nintendo of Japan for the Mario cast. This is interesting for a number of reasons, as the other ones to have been "adopted" that was NOT created by the main Mario teams are Wario, Daisy, Waluigi, and Diddy Kong.

Note how those four often appear in the spin-offs, and now that Dixie gained a VIDEO explaining her history in the DK Series, this makes me wonder, will Dixie start joining DK and Diddy in everything now? Since I'm on the subject, I feel these would be the most likely places Dixie could be playable since she's basically part of the cast now with Mario Kart Tour and other appearances (Mario Superstar Baseball, Mario Hoops 3-on-3, Mario Super Sluggers).

My guesses are the following games I could see Dixie being added to in the future where DK & Diddy are already present:

• Mario Tennis Aces Sequel (If Aces doesn't get any more playable characters added such as Sprixie Princess from Ultra Trash)
  • Mario Golf Switch
  • Dr. Mario World
  • Mario Kart 9
  • Super Mario Party 2
There are a few more, but those are five options that I could see happening. Moreso if Nintendo of Japan IS developing a new mainline DK or at least a DK game.

Just something I was thinking about just now. ~ Afro

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Dixie's further appearances feel somewhat dependent on what the next DK game is like. If she's a significant enough part of it, then there's probably a vested interest and momentum to have her show up in other titles.

The lack of non Donkey/Diddy Kongs in the spin-offs (barring random appearances like Funky in MK Wii) was somewhat a result of the franchise's relative isolation and indeterminate status in the 2000s. Assuming the rumor of a Nintendo EAD developed DK game is true, then that might change, especially given the easier access to relevant Donkey Kong assets by NoJ.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I meant to ask something... even if Dixie DOESN'T appear in Ultimate after all, what do you think this will mean going forward for her with the Mario spin-offs since she made her debut in Mario Kart Tour?

Someone on Twitter bought up that it appears that Dixie has officially been "adopted" by Nintendo of Japan for the Mario cast. This is interesting for a number of reasons, as the other ones to have been "adopted" that was NOT created by the main Mario teams are Wario, Daisy, Waluigi, and Diddy Kong.

Note how those four often appear in the spin-offs, and now that Dixie gained a VIDEO explaining her history in the DK Series, this makes me wonder, will Dixie start joining DK and Diddy in everything now? Since I'm on the subject, I feel these would be the most likely places Dixie could be playable since she's basically part of the cast now with Mario Kart Tour and other appearances (Mario Superstar Baseball, Mario Hoops 3-on-3, Mario Super Sluggers).

My guesses are the following games I could see Dixie being added to in the future where DK & Diddy are already present:

• Mario Tennis Aces Sequel (If Aces doesn't get any more playable characters added such as Sprixie Princess from Ultra Trash)
  • Mario Golf Switch
  • Dr. Mario World
  • Mario Kart 9
  • Super Mario Party 2
There are a few more, but those are five options that I could see happening. Moreso if Nintendo of Japan IS developing a new mainline DK or at least a DK game.

I certainly hope she appears in Mario spinoffs more from now on, but unfortunately all we have for her in terms of Mario spinoff appearances so far in the past decade is a sh**** mobile gacha game, so it's anyone's guess as to what happens next. I'll start being excited once she gets added to some real games where I don't have to pay hundreds of dollars to maybe get the chance to summon her once every few months.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

• Mario Golf Switch
  • Dr. Mario World
  • Mario Kart 9
  • Super Mario Party 2

If that's the case I hope Nintendo of Japan has adopted K. Rool into the Mario cast as well since he is in Smash now and he is DK's main baddie like how Bowser is to Mario.

Oh yeah! And you know what would really make Dixie feel like a true member of the Mario family? Putting her in Smash. Do it Nintendo.

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I'm surprised K. Rool isn't in Tour. Not that I want him in, as I would rather he be included in a good and less greedy Mario Kart.

In other news...

Hope y'all are excited for Tooka-Laylee.
And Diddy and Dixie's KongQuest. :troll:

I know they said they would only reveal their new rebrand, but the way they are hyping this up makes me think we might see a little snippet of their next game.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
With K Rool its an issue of many (non Mario) Nintendo antagonists often not showing up in spin-offs outside Smash, and even then its not consistent. Even Kamek is the undisputed recurring big bad to Yoshi in the latter's series, has been in mainline Mario titles, and he still rarely ever pops up in Mario Kart or Party. Same with the various other characters in Wario's series with even his allies never getting a second look beyond stuff like Smash Ultimate spirits.

For DK it would be nice if it could develop its own spin-offs again and really make use of the setting and cast. Even games the equivalent to Kirby Fighters 2, a digital only title presumably of low cost could do a lot of good if they were made well enough and got the appropriate promotion.

Staarih

Smash Master
I think Nintendo is very particular with Mario Kart as it's developed in-house, hence very few spin-off characters and rather just new characters (babies, metal versions) or alts instead. Which is a shame as many outsourced/spin-off games have a variety of established, cool characters not only in Mario universe, but DK, Wario, Yoshi etc too. Then again, we did get Funky in MKWii and Dixie in MKTour so maybe they'll eventually get better with it.

That said, I think Dixie and K. Rool and the likes are likelier to (re)appear in a Mario sports game first (as was with Sluggers, for example).

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I still dont think we will ever see K.Rool in a game developed by Nintendo themselves. I still think their are people within Nintendo that just dont "get" or like the character for whatever reason. I would love to be wrong but I just dont see it..
Watcha talking about? Did ya not see him disguised as a street in Mario Odyssey? If ya look closely, you could see his eye protruding from the sewers. :troll:

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
I think Nintendo is very particular with Mario Kart as its developed in-house, hence very few spin-off characters and rather just new characters (babies, metal versions) or alts instead. Which is a shame as many outsourced/spin-off games have a variety of established, cool characters not only in Mario universe, but DK, Wario, Yoshi etc too. Then again, we did get Funky in MKWii and Dixie in MKTour so maybe they'll eventually get better with it.

That said, I think Dixie and K. Rool and the likes are likelier to (re)appear in a Mario sports game first (as was with Sluggers, for example).
This is actually why I mentioned that it seems that Wario, Waluigi, Daisy, Diddy Kong, and now Dixie Kong have been "adopted" into the extended Mario family of Nintendo EAD's games.

These five were NOT created by Nintendo EAD in-house, so they're more likely to appear. I mentioned that with MKT and her recent video history last year, that Dixie Kong seems to have been adopted by Nintendo, so we might see her in more in-house games. Notice how despite how many YEARS it had been since Funky was last seen in Mario Kart, he never got a video... Food for thought...

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Personally I won't believe K. Rool is "officially back" until I see him in something besides Smash. Part of Smash's charm is that it embraces things that are otherwise irrelevant to modern Nintendo, but it also has the power to bring those things back to relevancy (Kid Icarus getting a sequel after 20 years for example).

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
With K Rool its an issue of many (non Mario) Nintendo antagonists often not showing up in spin-offs outside Smash, and even then its not consistent. Even Kamek is the undisputed recurring big bad to Yoshi in the latter's series, has been in mainline Mario titles, and he still rarely ever pops up in Mario Kart or Party. Same with the various other characters in Wario's series with even his allies never getting a second look beyond stuff like Smash Ultimate spirits.

For DK it would be nice if it could develop its own spin-offs again and really make use of the setting and cast. Even games the equivalent to Kirby Fighters 2, a digital only title presumably of low cost could do a lot of good if they were made well enough and got the appropriate promotion.
To be fair, Kamek WAS going to be a racer in MK64 and 8, but he ended up being low priority. He was given the consideration at least.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Personally I won't believe K. Rool is "officially back" until I see him in something besides Smash. Part of Smash's charm is that it embraces things that are otherwise irrelevant to modern Nintendo, but it also has the power to bring those things back to relevancy (Kid Icarus getting a sequel after 20 years for example).
Agreed. Captain Falcon has been in every Smash game since the original yet hasn't gotten a new game in almost 2 decades. Ice Climbers have yet to get a revival. Duck Hunt had the Wii U VC rerelease but nothing new. Ness and Lucas exist solely as Smash characters now. Dark Samus is canonically dead. I doubt Banjo gets a new game from Microsoft anytime soon. K.Rool could also be doomed to Smash only for all we know..

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
You work at Nintendo and you realize that the weird villain from the SNES games is still enormously popular and got even more popular thanks to being in one of the most popular Nintendo games ever? Hard for me to see how he isn't in the next DK game. It's just hard to ignore, he's got no competition among the other villains either.

And you don't have to revive a franchise or anything for him.

To be honest, I worry more about Dixie because it seems that her appearances are really tied into the game allowing for multiple playable characters -- or booting DK. And that seems like it would tie the developers' hands more than including a NPC like K. Rool.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Just a reminder that K. Rool is featured in that Donkey Kong 2021 calendar. I doubt he, Dixie and Funky would be featured in it if Nintendo had no future plans for that. An episode of Kongversation even talked about

Agreed. Captain Falcon has been in every Smash game since the original yet hasn't gotten a new game in almost 2 decades. Ice Climbers have yet to get a revival. Duck Hunt had the Wii U VC rerelease but nothing new. Ness and Lucas exist solely as Smash characters now. Dark Samus is canonically dead. I doubt Banjo gets a new game from Microsoft anytime soon. K.Rool could also be doomed to Smash only for all we know..
There is also no plan for a new Kid Icarus game so Pit, Dark Pit and Palutena won’t have a major appearance outside of Smash anymore.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
I think Nintendo is very particular with Mario Kart as it's developed in-house, hence very few spin-off characters and rather just new characters (babies, metal versions) or alts instead. Which is a shame as many outsourced/spin-off games have a variety of established, cool characters not only in Mario universe, but DK, Wario, Yoshi etc too. Then again, we did get Funky in MKWii and Dixie in MKTour so maybe they'll eventually get better with it.

This upsets me the most. Nintendo literally has the entire Mario universe at their disposal for cool characters/tracks, along with all of its sub universes like DK, Wario, Yoshi, Luigi's Mansion, etc, and they NEVER do anythong cool with it in Mario Kart except for the occasional extra Kong character. And even if they limited themselves to the main franchise, they still have a lot of characters to work with that they don't even use in Kart anyways like the Piantas, Chargin Chucks, Tatanga, Glydon, etc. It's a huge waste of potential, and the fact that metal/baby/power-up clones take priorities over actual charaters further rubs salt into the wound.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Everything regarding Dixie & K Rool is in flux because it all comes down to the calls of Nintendo corporate and the individual decisions of Nintendo EAD (assuming that they are in fact developing the next DK game). The sensible move would be to utilize both, not only because including them would be familiar to long time fans but in the case of K Rool also capitalize on the countless new players exposed to him via Smash.

The problem is that Nintendo's treatment of Donkey Kong in the last 20 years has often not been sensible or terribly logical. Failure to take advantage of momentum or the contemporary popularity of introduced elements is not new to DK and the idea that the Big N would go for for a Donkey & Diddy adventure against some new antagonist is a scenario I can easily imagine. I don't think we know enough to say its likely, yet given the company's history with various franchises I can't rule it out either.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Wild that Bashmaster made it on there. I don't exactly want him to be playable, but I'd love to see him as a boss (though not as much as my boy Krow).

I'm gonna guess high, just because she's small and quick but hits hard. Her ponytail looks big and heavy, so it'll probably have pretty high knockback/damage output. But then everyone will ask Nintendo to nerf her, because DK fans can't have nice things.

WoL is much better than Subspace. The Pikachu/Samus levels and the Great Maze of Rehash at the end of the campaign were torture. And the Custscenes are overrated, most of them are just 30 seconds of two random characters looking at each other and nodding before they venture off in a generic biome because 90% of them have a no talking rule. I can see the appeal, and there were cool scenes, buuuuuut the spirit of the SSE CGI cutscenes live on in the modern reveal trailers that started with Smash 4.
I've been talking about this in the unpopular Smash opinions thread, but the "generic" environments of Subspace don't bother me at all. More environments based on Nintendo games (besides DK, Zelda, Kid Icarus and Kirby) would've been better, but places like the Plain and Cave look super cool and are fun to explore. The music is also really great, especially Step: The Plain. If I have one gripe with Subspace it's the enemies. Those should've all come from Nintendo games, especially since some of them are obvious substitutes (Bombed for Poppy Bros, Bucculus for Klaptrap, etc).

Top Bottom