• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
Honestly most of the Kongs have the potential to be hugely popular, Nintendo has just done a terrible job capitalizing on that potential.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
OK I originally made a really long essay detailing my stance on DK64 but then I realized I can say the same thing with one sentence:

The game is great in many ways and I can see why its so beloved even with its flaws, but the absence of Dixie Kong and the photorealistic ambiance of the SNES trilogy means that it lacks my two favorite aspects of the series, and as such isn't something I personally consider a definitive DK experience.

With that said, I tend to prefer 3D platformers to 2D platformers in general, and I would definitely love to see the franchise return to 3D at some point.
Why DID they replace her with Tiny Kong?
And for that matter, why did Tiny Kong have to suddenly age and become an awkwardly big teenager in her next appearance?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Honestly most of the Kongs have the potential to be hugely popular, Nintendo has just done a terrible job capitalizing on that potential.
Only Funky Kong really comes close honestly. Mostly due to Mario Kart Wii I think. I don't think Kiddy, Cranky, Tiny or Chunky will ever be that much more popular than they already are. Only Dixie and Lanky could become bigger with more exposure. Still don't think any of them could outrank DK or Diddy honestly.

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
Only Funky Kong really comes close honestly. Mostly due to Mario Kart Wii I think. I don't think Kiddy, Cranky, Tiny or Chunky will ever be that much more popular than they already are. Only Dixie and Lanky could become bigger with more exposure. Still don't think any of them could outrank DK or Diddy honestly.
I disagree, I don't see why they couldn't become more popular if Nintendo actually tried to make it happen. It really just comes down to execution, can Nintendo portray the characters properly and can they market it well? I think they most certainly can, and honestly I'm pretty hopeful that the upcoming theme park is a sign that this is something they will actively be pursuing. A healthy DK franchise means good things for their bottom line, and the best way to do that is to build up the characters in that IP. Obviously I'm a bit bias, but I think Dixie being in Smash would be a fantastic way to bring more awareness to the IP.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Certain Kongs have it even worse than Dixie. Kiddy and Chunky more or less disappeared (likely because their role as the larger sized Kongs was redundant given the existence of Donkey himself). Tiny has done somewhat okay for herself via a redesign to make her less like DIxie, but her and Lanky are only doing better by virtue of appearing in stuff like Barrel Blast or the Diddy Kong Racing remake rather than being entirely forgotten. Funky Kong popped up in Tropical Freeze largely because Cranky couldn't be the shopkeeper anymore and the cool surfer motif fit for making him an addition to the Switch port.

Much like Star Fox, various tertiary characters that populated the universe have fallen by the wayside in favor of those best known to a general audience.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I disagree, I don't see why they couldn't become more popular if Nintendo actually tried to make it happen. It really just comes down to execution, can Nintendo portray the characters properly and can they market it well? I think they most certainly can, and honestly I'm pretty hopeful that the upcoming theme park is a sign that this is something they will actively be pursuing. A healthy DK franchise means good things for their bottom line, and the best way to do that is to build up the characters in that IP. Obviously I'm a bit bias, but I think Dixie being in Smash would be a fantastic way to bring more awareness to the IP.
Sure.

But whatever new DK game that has all these other Kongs, is gonna have DK and Diddy in them. Highly probable with a larger role than many of the rest.

That's why I said what I said.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Why DID they replace her with Tiny Kong?
And for that matter, why did Tiny Kong have to suddenly age and become an awkwardly big teenager in her next appearance?
We never got a concrete answer for the 1st question, but Rare in their Scribes Column said Nintendo changed Tiny's design in DKR DS.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
DKC3 is definitely the odd duck in the bunch, DKC2 was highly critically acclaimed and more or less Diddy's rise to stardom. Diddy was marketed as just as important as DK was back in the day, even since DKC1. They never pushed for Dixie all that hard. Her absence in DK64 was to focus more on DK and Diddy's popularity.

It was simply Rare and Nintendo pushing more for Diddy back in that day. Diddy also became the star of Diddy Kong Racing of course, you could even argue that he was becoming bigger of an icon under Rare's wing than Donkey Kong himself.

This is also why I was upset for Diddy being absent in Melee, and being degraded to a mere power up ever since DKC Returns. However, it was even worse in Tropical Freeze.

Personally, I would want them to push Diddy's popularity even more. He was also by far the most popular character of DK64.
It was weird how Diddy wasn't in any version of Mario Kart 8. He is one of the weirdest omissions from that game's roster along with Bowser Jr..

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Hopes and Dreams.

As long as the hazardless version turns off the silhouettes, there are already mods for Brawl / Smash 4 that created Sunset Shore. And it would look pretty, but it's a pain to play because almost anything that's going on looks black and it's hard to notice who is who (Specially when there are multiple Fire Emblem characters).

It was weird how Diddy wasn't in any version of Mario Kart 8. He is one of the weirdest omissions from that game's roster along with Bowser Jr..
Bowser Jr. is in Deluxe tho. I wish they would have kept updating it if they didn't want to make another Mario Kart for Switch. 8 has been the last entry for 6 years at this point and Tour is...... Tour with Diddy Kong's pack. At least Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled came out to fill my needs of a new Kart game.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

It's a Donkey Kong vs Kirby event!?
Fixed. Virgin 3 rep series vs Chad 4 rep series.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Bowser Jr. is in Deluxe tho. I wish they would have kept updating it if they didn't want to make another Mario Kart for Switch. 8 has been the last entry for 6 years at this point and Tour is...... Tour with Diddy Kong's pack. At least Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled came out to fill my needs of a new Kart game.
I guess I forgot Bowser Jr. was in Deluxe since he wasn't in the Wii U version. But yeah, I wish they would keep updating the game so we could get characters like Diddy, Funky, Birdo, Dry Bones, Petey, ect back plus newcomers such as K. Rool, Dixie, Cranky, Kritter, Zelda, Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede, Ashley, Mona, ect.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I really want a new Mario Kart. I don't wanna shell out 60 bucks to buy a port of a game I already own on Wii U, and I definitely don't wanna play Mario Kart Tour.

I have a tiny glimmer of hope for a truly new entry based on Mario Kart Tour's existence. There was a long wait between mainline Animal Crossing releases, and Pocket Camp came out a couple years before New Horizons. So there's a tiny part of me that's hoping MKT is a similar sort of mobile stopgap before a proper new Mario Kart title. I know we've never had two Mario Karts for the same system before, but hey if Smash speculation has taught us anything, it's that precedent can change at any time.

I do hope a new Mario Kart has a healthy selection of DK characters. I think a perfect representation for me would be DK, Diddy, Dixie, K. Rool, and Funky Kong. And it's a minor thing but I think it would be cool if these characters were treated more like guests compared to the Mario characters, just to remind people that the Donkey Kong series is its own thing. Like on the DK courses, the coins are replaced with bananas, and stuff has DKC sound effects and whatnot, like how the Zelda and AC stages in MK8 worked. Again, it's a minor thing and I'm not really demanding or expecting it, I just think it would be neat to treat it a little more like a proper crossover.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I guess I forgot Bowser Jr. was in Deluxe since he wasn't in the Wii U version. But yeah, I wish they would keep updating the game so we could get characters like Diddy, Funky, Birdo, Dry Bones, Petey, ect back plus newcomers such as K. Rool, Dixie, Cranky, Kritter, Zelda, Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede, Ashley, Mona, ect.
Seriously if they kept updating it like Nitro-Fueled it would be something special. It's already my favorite Mario Kart but it's no longer my favorite Kart Racer. Thanks Crash!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I really want a new Mario Kart. I don't wanna shell out 60 bucks to buy a port of a game I already own on Wii U, and I definitely don't wanna play Mario Kart Tour.

I have a tiny glimmer of hope for a truly new entry based on Mario Kart Tour's existence. There was a long wait between mainline Animal Crossing releases, and Pocket Camp came out a couple years before New Horizons. So there's a tiny part of me that's hoping MKT is a similar sort of mobile stopgap before a proper new Mario Kart title. I know we've never had two Mario Karts for the same system before, but hey if Smash speculation has taught us anything, it's that precedent can change at any time.

I do hope a new Mario Kart has a healthy selection of DK characters. I think a perfect representation for me would be DK, Diddy, Dixie, K. Rool, and Funky Kong. And it's a minor thing but I think it would be cool if these characters were treated more like guests compared to the Mario characters, just to remind people that the Donkey Kong series is its own thing. Like on the DK courses, the coins are replaced with bananas, and stuff has DKC sound effects and whatnot, like how the Zelda and AC stages in MK8 worked. Again, it's a minor thing and I'm not really demanding or expecting it, I just think it would be neat to treat it a little more like a proper crossover.
I have not given up hope on a full on, good, Diddy Kong sequel. Just go with the initial Donkey Kong Racing idea (since Nintendo is known for coming back to games), and give them the animal buddies to ride upon. With special battle games where you are in the Mine Karts.

Hell, maybe even Sakurai would head this game! There are so many ways this, or a full on Nintendo Racer, could be a unique game. With unique racing components.

I don't want just another Mario Kart. More DLC- that would be terrific. But I am all for the idea of a platform game on Nintendo- where the base game is the only one of its kind on the system, and they continually add updates. I would not mind if we did not get another ARMS, Splatoon, Smash, Kart, or any other online game. The Nintendo online community is already a bit fickle- with good reason. Just keep building the infrastructure, I say!

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Mario Kart's in a frustrating place because with the sales and current mass of players of Deluxe there's no significant incentive to put out an MK9 that would cut into the continuing strong sales of 8D. nor do they seem interested in doing any additional DLC for it (despite the fact that it would sell well and would be differentiate it even more than the Wii U version). All the effort is being poured into Tour which I'm sure makes money, but has no interest to players who want to play it on an actual console, not their phones.

There's a general sense of restlessness because its been 6 years since a true console Mario Kart sequel came out, and as good as 8 is, there's only so much you can play before you start wanting something fresh. And the constant DLC updates to CTR make the increasing stagnation of the mainline MK series all the more disappointing.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Mario Kart's in a frustrating place because with the sales and current mass of players of Deluxe there's no significant incentive to put out an MK9 that would cut into the continuing strong sales of 8D. nor do they seem interested in doing any additional DLC for it (despite the fact that it would sell well and would be differentiate it even more than the Wii U version). All the effort is being poured into Tour which I'm sure makes money, but has no interest to players who want to play it on an actual console, not their phones.

There's a general sense of restlessness because its been 6 years since a true console Mario Kart sequel came out, and as good as 8 is, there's only so much you can play before you start wanting something fresh. And the constant DLC updates to CTR make the increasing stagnation of the mainline MK series all the more disappointing.
The money being put into tour is money being put into the next batch of Mario Kart- whether that is DLC, a new one, or a new racing game.
The handheld games are intensive Research and Development, R&D, which has a budget in any big game. It just so happens that this R&D actually allows most people to play it. I think of the mobile games as beta tests that we have the uh.. privilege... to pay for.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'd like to believe that, though given the mixed utilization of mobile games by many companies, color me skeptical until we see the announcement of a new MK game.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I just finished my newest artwork:

Gotta have the 3 heroes of DKC doing a group picture. Didn't take long at all, and I'm very happy with this. Also, please put this on twitter when you get the chance!

I can now turn all my side doodles into full-blown artwork at a fraction of the time I used to take, so more will be on the way!
Can you draw Diddy and Dixie rocking on their stereo box and guitar on a minecart while being chased by Kremlings in Kremland?
YES. But it will take time as I space these works out. You're the 1st to reply, so your request will be the only one I focus on until I finish.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
February birthdays always get shafted in these memes :/

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Great job! I always like how energetic your poses and lines are. DK looks so happy to be interrupting Diddy and Dixie's only date night.

I'll try to think of something I could request. I appreciate you letting us do that.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I got Donkey Kong 94. I don't have a GameBoy so....

Great job! I always like how energetic your poses and lines are. DK looks so happy to be interrupting Diddy and Dixie's only date night.

I'll try to think of something I could request. I appreciate you letting us do that.
Thanks! The date night part had me lol pretty hard; I had them holding hands behind DK's back as a slight nod to the whole boyfriend and girlfriend thing.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I got DKC3, so yay for getting Dixie Kong's starring game.

Score! I'm stuck with Tropical Freeze for eternity my favorite DK game. :chuckle:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
WACK! I got DK '94 the game I literally said was the most "overrated yet underrated game Nintendo has ever created" in my unpopular DK opinions post a few pages back. Lame!

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
If funny that in an era where so many remasters are often initially believed to be complete remakes or sequels when announced that DK94 might be one of the few cases on the inverse. Its a full blown sequel with over so many levels after the first four... that I constantly see people mistake as just a Game Boy version of the arcade game. In hindsight they might have been better of putting "Over 100 Stages!" right on the front of the box just make sure people got the idea.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987

DK64. Dang it. I like it but I don't want to keep playing it eternally over DKC2 or TF. And the fact that I was just saying how that game causes collecti-fatigue if you play it too much.
Also.... beavers.... B E A V E R S ! !

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I got DK94 and I'm pretty darned sure I could play that game forever so I'm happy with my fate.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

DK64. I'll enjoy the first bits, and then get massively annoyed with Beaver Bother eventually. It's a win and lose situation. I love the game, but not more than many of the platformers. DKC2, DKC1 and Tropical Freeze have my preference of this, but I wouldn't complain too much.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I am not sure. Perhaps we should post more fanart on this thread. The Dixie Kong community or DK community in general has amazing artists.
Cool. I'll give it a spotlight in the thread's title as people post it.
Tell Nintendo to hurry up with releasing that new DKC game so we can talk about something.
It seems that once every thousand years or so, Nintendo will listen to the will of its fans.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I enjoy seeing all the fanart, for what it's worth.

Top Bottom