• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Din Peregrine, a SSBB Falco Guide [redirect]

ixdnL

Smash Journeyman
You've obviously put a lot of work into this. ill read it when i get back home. looks promising.

Kirin

Smash Journeyman
Very nice. Although it's still in its early stages, there is already a ton of information. Good job. :)

Unseen_Killa

Smash Apprentice
Great someone finally has started making an up to date guide. There is one mistake i'd like to correct you on though, the spike on the side B i'm pretty sure does NOT have a set knockback. I may be wrong though.

bowz

Smash Journeyman
This will become very helpful, we just all need to contribute and share opinions on it, especially the better falco players. It would be nice to finally have a good falco guide.

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
Also, stutter stepping does not apply to Falco.
Perhaps I'm calling it something it's not. My understanding of stutter stepping was when you dash forward, immediately smash backwards on the analog stick, then immediately forward smash... resulting in an increase in the forward smash's range. With Falco, the second step (smashing back on the analog stick) doesn't help at all; however, doing a dash and immediately forward smashing extends the forward smash's reach by quite a bit. Is there a name for doing just that? Or would stutter stepping still be appropriate? I know people can get finicky with the naming of new found techniques... I don't care what we call it, just that the information is out there for the community to use.

Also, I'll try to keep updating this throughout the coming weeks. Depending on how business goes for me in the next few days, I may be able to get most done by next weekend.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Great !! ;D I hope that you will update it frequently.

You should add :

> In ATS
:

* Reverse Jump Canceled Up Smash (RJC USmash).

> In priority :

* DTilt : Poor
* UTilt : Poor for the first hit, largely better for the second.
* FTilt : Very good.

*Uair : Good.
*Bair : Amazing
*Dair : Amazing

* Shine : Amazing. (But can be reflected)
* Side B : Good - Very Good
* Laser : 100% priority

I'm not sure about the Smashes... FSmash has an amazing priority i think, and the two others just good. I think that the DSmash has more priority than the USmash.

Also, Dash Attack has an average priority, but is not that great. (In term of priority, of course).

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
I appreciate all the input Blad01. I'll be sure to add all of that in the next update (likely tomorrow).

EDIT:
* Shine : Amazing. (But can be reflected)
I don't know what all can reflect Falco's shine. If you (or anyone else) happens to know, please let me know.

In the future, if anyone reports priority information etc, please use the terminology I outlined in the guide. I know it's all semantics, but for the sake of consistency, I'd like to use it.

bowz

Smash Journeyman
I appreciate all the input Blad01. I'll be sure to add all of that in the next update (likely tomorrow).

EDIT:

I don't know what all can reflect Falco's shine. If you (or anyone else) happens to know, please let me know.

In the future, if anyone reports priority information etc, please use the terminology I outlined in the guide. I know it's all semantics, but for the sake of consistency, I'd like to use it.
I could be wrong, but I think he means when somebody attacks you while you shine, both attacks go through, which means the shine has low priority, I think.

Fluke

Smash Journeyman
You can refer to my shine thread (the last few posts) of which reflects.

I need to update it. And finally see everything for myself when I finally GET THE **** PAL VERSION OF THE GAME in the next week or so.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Very awesome. I'd recommend a sticky.

I would also recommend some more details about other laser tricks such as single lasering, b-sticking, and other tricks. I mean... there are A LOT of laser tricks scattered everywhere. Find Forward's old thread about laser tricks on page 3 or so. That is a good place to start.

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
There is one mistake i'd like to correct you on though, the spike on the side B i'm pretty sure does NOT have a set knockback. I may be wrong though.
You are correct about the spike not being a set knockback. I will correct my statement's ambiguity. What I meant was that if you hit your opponent while they are on the ground, the knockback is set to never kill them. Thanks.

You can refer to my shine thread (the last few posts) of which reflects.
Cool, thanks man. I'll take a look at the thread and fix the reflector section in the next update.

Very awesome. I'd recommend a sticky.

I would also recommend some more details about other laser tricks such as single lasering, b-sticking, and other tricks. I mean... there are A LOT of laser tricks scattered everywhere. Find Forward's old thread about laser tricks on page 3 or so. That is a good place to start.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll scour the Falco forums for anything I can find about lasers. If you could provide links to the various threads, that'd be helpful. I knew of b-sticking, but didn't think it accomplished anything that normal SHDL didn't do on its own. Perhaps I'll spend some extra time in Forward's thread.

Oh, and yea... lets get this stickied.

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
... you didn't include the "Reverse Jump Canceled Up Smash (RJC USmash)". ;)
Don't worry, I've not forgotten about it. I just thought I should learn more about it before I write a section on it. It'll likely be included in the next update. Thank you for pointing it out though, it's good to have people checking my work so we get everything right.

bowz10190

Smash Apprentice
Here's just a couple notes. Neutral air I know has a lot of priority, a little less than bair, but very high priority nevertheless. Also, your notes on the grabs seem to only be for low percentage, and you always seem to say just down throw. Add something about how back or forward throw off the stage when close to the edge, and chase with bair, or something.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=171387

There is the thread I was referring to. I watched the video but the way Forward described it... well, let's just say I don't really understand what they are talking about.

I'm new to Falco, but because for awhile I was having such a hard time figuring out the little tricks I'd like to contribute as much as possible to this guide to make those "little tricks" more easily accessible to future newcomers.

J0RDY

Smash Journeyman
Very nice, my vote for the sticky.

I think you may have missed the hyphen smash, unless I missed something myself.

Keep it up, I myself need this kind of thing.

Beowulf Lee

Smash Rookie
When I have tap jump on, I can do smashes with Z (grab), but I can't do the Gattling Combo. When I have tap jump off, I can't do smashes with Z (grab), but I can do the Gattling Combo. WTF.

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
Do gatling combo by just doing dash attack(must hit during first few damage frames) and up-smash in quick succession.

Boost Smashing the regular way will take a while to perfect.
(btw, tap jump does not affect your ability to do any of the boost smashs techs)

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
Update:

- Added Input Buffering.
- Added Get-up and Ledge attacks.
- Changed some notes on grabs.
- Added some information on the reflector.
- Added more data on priority.
- Added Reverse Jump Canceled Up Smashing.
- Added buffering information to the Boost Smashing and Chain Grabbing sections.

I think you may have missed the hyphen smash, unless I missed something myself.
I didn't include this because I tend not to think of it as an "Advanced Technique." If others think it should be included, please let me know, otherwise I'll leave it out and hope people find it when learning about basic gameplay.

Even after looking through that thread, I'm still not seeing why wave bouncing lasers is superior to simple b-reversal lasers. If someone would try to enlighten me, I'd appreciate it.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Ftilt and Utilt are more useful than you're giving them credit for; they can be used against most characters for spacing (ftilt) and can easily set up to a dair or bair (utilt). They're also useful in terms of priority and hitboxes; ftilt has this weird invisible hitbox that extends just a bit beyond the foot and utilt stretches in an arc around the tips of Falco's feathers. Both of these have good priority and help neutralize opponents' moves...though obviously it won't happen vs smashes

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
Ftilt and Utilt are more useful than you're giving them credit for; they can be used against most characters for spacing (ftilt) and can easily set up to a dair or bair (utilt). They're also useful in terms of priority and hitboxes; ftilt has this weird invisible hitbox that extends just a bit beyond the foot and utilt stretches in an arc around the tips of Falco's feathers. Both of these have good priority and help neutralize opponents' moves...though obviously it won't happen vs smashes
I completely agree. I'll add an update to their notes.

J4pu

Smash Champion
Smashboards was down yesterday, so I went to Allisbrawl and saw this exact same thread over there by you
I never even bother going there unless I can't come here. Seeing one forum's worth of pointless threads is enough for me.
Enoch, you have more dedication than me.
Are there any other smash forums you frequent?

EDIT- btw it was not my intention to call this thread pointless, I was referring to noobs' posts

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
Smashboards was down yesterday, so I went to Allisbrawl and saw this exact same thread over there by you
I never even bother going there unless I can't come here. Seeing one forum's worth of pointless threads is enough for me.
Enoch, you have more dedication than me.
Are there any other smash forums you frequent?

EDIT- btw it was not my intention to call this thread pointless, I was referring to noobs' posts
Nope. I use Smashboards and Allisbrawl only. I don't think I could manage more than two, especially since their editors are different... which means I have to manually edit each guide. I have been taking input from both forums and incorporating it into the guide, so if anyone ever wants to post there instead, feel free.

Master Ppv

Smash Journeyman
Man, you have seriously helped me out here. I'll probably read this over and over and memorize every word so I can make my Falco better. By the end of 08 I will be able to recite this entire thing by heart, or at least most of the important points. Thank you so much for this huge plethora of information, I will do my best to apply it to my playing style.

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
Man, you have seriously helped me out here. I'll probably read this over and over and memorize every word so I can make my Falco better. By the end of 08 I will be able to recite this entire thing by heart, or at least most of the important points. Thank you so much for this huge plethora of information, I will do my best to apply it to my playing style.
Well then, I'm very glad I could help. It is always a pleasure to see my work appreciated. Thank you.

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
If I'm not mistaken, McFox is our moderator, correct? I think he has been absent for several months now... I'd appreciate it if another mod would step in and sticky this so the community has a Falco guide up.

If there is a better way to go about this, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Fluke

Smash Journeyman
I'm planing to expand my guide on the shine, including everything it reflects/gets reflected by (yes it would be huge). So you could always just link it to my thread to save time on expanding the Down B info.

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
I'm planing to expand my guide on the shine, including everything it reflects/gets reflected by (yes it would be huge). So you could always just link it to my thread to save time on expanding the Down B info.
Glad to hear it. Let me know when it's updated and I'll take a look and possibly link to it.

Also, can ANYONE help us get this stickied? This is our only comprehensive guide and it's been up for quite a while with absolutely no moderator input.

ShadowDigo

Smash Cadet
#4.7 Boost Pivot Grabbing:
This technique utilizes the same concept as the boost smash; however, rather than canceling the dash attack with an up smash, you cancel it with a pivot grab. A pivot grab is when you are running one direction and then smash the opposite direction on the analog stick as you grab. To demonstrate:

Video soon to come.

This technique does have a few downsides. Although it looks like you get a lot of range, you really don’t. This is because Falco’s grab hitbox is a bit in front of him and only lasts a split second. If you start the boost pivot grab at a distance, when you are sliding through your opponent, the hitbox misses them. The only way to get the boost pivot grab to land is to align your opponent with the hitbox. To do this, you need to start the boost pivot grab just in front of them. Another down side is that just like when you try to stand too close to another character and get moved back, while you are sliding past your opponent, you are also pushing them aside. This further diminishes the range of this move because you will sometimes end up pushing them behind you and out of your grab range. Also note that you can be hit out of this.

The only way I’ve found around the first two issues (the third is always a problem) is to use this technique when your opponent is in the air. Your sliding past won’t push them aside anymore, and Falco’s grab hitbox seems to be slightly bigger against aerial opponents. With this in mind, viable applications for the technique are much easier to find; my favorite being... If you happen reach the edge during a chaingrab before reaching the damage limit for the chaingrab, you can use a boost pivot grab to change directions of the chaingrab. Just be sure to give yourself enough room before hitting the edge. To demonstrate:

Video soon to come.
I've got a video for the boost pivot grabbing. It's done in the middle of a chaingrab by Seth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9xjyoTSF6Q

5:35 - 5:38 Awesome match and awesome ending BTW.

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
I've got a video for the boost pivot grabbing. It's done in the middle of a chaingrab by Seth.
I do appreciate the contribution; however, I'd like to use videos created specifically for the purpose of displaying the technique. It's great to show people its applications in a real match, but my primary goal (at least with the initial videos I put up) is to quickly introduce the reader to the technique.

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
Glad to hear it. Let me know when it's updated and I'll take a look and possibly link to it.

Also, can ANYONE help us get this stickied? This is our only comprehensive guide and it's been up for quite a while with absolutely no moderator input.
Perhaps if people rate the guide high it would get noticed by a Mod and later sticky. If not, the guide deserves the stars anyway.

Fluke

Smash Journeyman

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=145900

Down B
Damage: (6%)
Priority: Awesome, but it can be reflected by some things. [Blad01]
Range: Awesome.
Knockback: Very little. This attack has a set amount of knockback.
Startup Lag: None, though if your opponent is farther away, it takes a longer for the reflector to get to them.
End Lag: Bad.
Notes: You can still change (or keep) aerial momentum when using this attack in the air. There is a good chance of tripping your opponent if it hits. The hitbox is the smallest of the hexagons and only hits on the way out. It can be used to hit through walls. All of the hexagons will reflect as long as they are visible, including the first and last few frames of the attack (which cover behind him). Reflected projectiles do 1.5x damage. Below is a list of known attacks that can reflect Falco's reflector:

- The last hit of Snake's jab combo. [Fluke]
- Wolf's forward smash. [Fluke]
- R.O.B.'s side B [Fluke]
Umm KB IS proportional to dmg, but it is so low that is it nearly negligible. Eg. Falco can KO another falco standing in the middle of FD around 770%-820%, depending on DI.

I'm working on more stuff on the range etc. It is approximately: "the distance between falco's feet in neutral position" x 4.

DID YOU KNOW, that when Falco is not doing anything, when he move his arm in front of him, it extends his hitbox FORWARD! (I was spamming Down B at falco, then suddenly it hit!

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
Do you have a list of what exactly you've updated? I guess I can peruse through, but a list of updates would save me some time. Also, I'll soon be adding some notes on the down B concerning character items like bananas and the gyro.
Umm KB IS proportional to dmg, but it is so low that is it nearly negligible. Eg. Falco can KO another falco standing in the middle of FD around 770%-820%, depending on DI.
Interesting, though as you pointed out, negligible.
DID YOU KNOW, that when Falco is not doing anything, when he move his arm in front of him, it extends his hitbox FORWARD! (I was spamming Down B at falco, then suddenly it hit!
Neat!

Top Bottom