• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy's up smash

AcidJazz

Smash Apprentice
I'm a Marth main who's falling deeply in love with this little monkey :)

I was watching some nanerz vids and didnt notice him using the upsmash really at all. I know its one of his weaker moves as far as killing goes, but it still dishes out the damage and is pretty quick. Also, the versatility of it is pretty nice because you can dash into up smash easily. Since there's the whole spam factor where moves get weaker, i was thinking maybe the up smash might be a better move to spam around until opponent is at killing % so the fsmash is fresh.

I'm new to diddy so I'm curious to why or why not this is a good idea?

Player-1

Smash Legend
It really depends on your play style. Mine for example is to banana combo to get percents up then either edge guard or use bananas to go for the kill. The Usmash is great for this, but there are a lot more and better possibilities for most combos. If I ever Usmash it's to hit people on platforms which a Uair or Utilt is usually better.

AcidJazz

Smash Apprentice
well to me bananas is diddy's game and it's a strong one... I'm trying to find the optimal way to abuse and I figure storing the fsmash for kill is a good idea. Diddy's uair is sweet so I'm thinking maybe this guy should be on reserve a bit too. His spike is ridiculously sweet! It's so fast and well it spikes :) His fair is sick for people off ledges or near them.

The guy can kill, i'm pretty sure of it even though people say he has a hard time doing it. So..

fsmash, uair, fair, dair.

I'm thinking anytime you can do something other than fsmash, uair or fair (unless you know it will kill) you should. Also, i'm thinking spamming the other moves is a good idea whenever you get the chance to give you the best potential for a KO when its coming.

This guy rocks :)

How's your matchup with snake? He's my worst enemy at this point in the game. I figure falco is Diddy's worst matchup but this is based on limited experience.

Edit:

Well i've spent awhile playing against snake as the CPU... To me it seems like snake has nothing on diddy. Diddy can pull nannas easy, snake cant ftilt cuz he's shielding. he's too slow to out maneuver. diddy can spike which still hurts snake's worst area of his game.

Diddy is the ****. High tier? nahhhhhhhhhh top tier baby

Player-1

Smash Legend
His Uair I use on rare occasions. His Fair is much stronger and his bair can lead into more combos. The only time I'll use it is if I don't have the correct angle on either of these two. I've been working on using more tilts instead of diminishing my smashes. For example instead of glide tossing to an Fsmash I'll to glide toss to a dtilt, dtilt, dtitlt, ftilt, Side b kick. Or sometimes I'll grab them to a Down grab to a reverse side b kick. His tilts can lead to more combos than his Usmash and you don't use them to kill, well maybe his Ftilt on rare occasions. So I'll diminish my tilts all I want.

Count

Smash Champion
I use it a lot on, especially on lighter characters where I can save my utilt for a 'desperate' kill me. Against heavier characters, I tend to juggly with my utilt and very rarely use my usmash. But that is just my style, some players always use one or the other or mix and match as they please. I'd say it is just a matter of opinion.

IDK

Smash Lord
dunno about the upsmash but just saying its kinda cool we both main diddy and marth. do you think they kind of fit together?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I tried using the upsmash more the other day, but it just didn't seem to work out for me half the time. My advice is that you should definitely go for it at low percents. At mid to high, use tilts, and at KO percents lead in with the f-smash.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
Up smash is a good move. Fairly quick, decent priority and good damage. Easy to string on to a combo (especially after a dash attack) and low knockback to continue the combo.

I don't use it that much but there are definitely situations where it's one of the best moves Diddy can use (opponent shielding your dash attack for example).

cutter

Smash Champion
I think the reason you don't see Usmash used a lot is because it is purely for damage building. G&W can survive Diddy's Usmash at over 200% on FD without DI ;)

Vall3y

Smash Lord
the upsmash is good versus shields, it kinds of auto spaces you of the shield grab
but theres no guarantee you wont get punished anyway

Krayn

Smash Apprentice
Yeah up smash isnt really a good killing move, and i just mainly use it for the dash attack upsmash. UNless they are in a wierd position above me and they are in a position to get punished, then i use it.

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
^ ya that combo is good but im starting to like utilt better after dash attack.

usmash to me is just a good "my opponents landing and im going to run under them" attack.

Top Bottom