• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Diddy's Q&A + Competitive Development - ASK QUESTIONS HERE

David Galanos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apost1e
Hey, post patch I've been seeing a lot of Diddys up throw fair, and up throw a lot more in general. I saw some of that pre patch but is there a reason Im seeing this so much more in particular? Just a coincidence?

SgtJamjars

Smash Rookie
What are some general spacing/movement tips for playing as Diddy Kong. I find myself sliding around the stage a lot?

also what would people say diddy'a best oos Options are ? I like throwing up b out every once in a while but it isn't very consistent.

TimeMuffinPhD

PhD in time travel and muffins.
NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
So does anyone know if there are legitimate setups for the custom Up-B? I've been hitting them purely from different kinds of reads. What does everyone know about this?

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
So does anyone know if there are legitimate setups for the custom Up-B? I've been hitting them purely from different kinds of reads. What does everyone know about this?
You hit it off of banana trip. It's also amazing at punishing spot dodges and air dodges.

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
With spacing I think of side tilt, and the flip.
Oos I don't think about much but banana throw is good.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
spacing tools are fair and dtilt. popgun also works but in more of a "force them to approach so you can space with fair/dtilt" kinda way

OoS options are fair, uair, bair

atomicblast360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AtomicBlast360
Hey so question, I know how to do the reverse popgun cancel but one problem I'm having is when I B reverse or try to, I am switching directions but my momentum is not changing, so I'll still be moving right when I aim the other way, I'm tilting the control stick left to switch direction of my popgun, and even when I hold it down my momentum still stays the way I am moving, why is this? What exactly am I doing wrong with how I'm trying to B reverse

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Hey so question, I know how to do the reverse popgun cancel but one problem I'm having is when I B reverse or try to, I am switching directions but my momentum is not changing, so I'll still be moving right when I aim the other way, I'm tilting the control stick left to switch direction of my popgun, and even when I hold it down my momentum still stays the way I am moving, why is this? What exactly am I doing wrong with how I'm trying to B reverse
You sound like you're doing a turnaround b which means your input would look like this (assuming you flip to the left and you want to shoot the peanut to the right):

:GCR: :GCN::GCB:

You're trying to b reverse which means your inputs should be as follows:

:GCN::GCB::GCR:

Press B, then press the opposite direction. The thread I linked is a Brawl thread but it's accurate to Sm4sh so it's worth a read.

Last edited:

atomicblast360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AtomicBlast360
You sound like you're doing a turnaround b which means your input would look like this (assuming you flip to the left and you want to shoot the peanut to the right):

:GCR: :GCN::GCB:

You're trying to b reverse which means your inputs should be as follows:

:GCN::GCB::GCR:

Press B, then press the opposite direction. The thread I linked is a Brawl thread but it's accurate to Sm4sh so it's worth a read.
Hey thanks! Helped a ton :)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Kongs, is there an actual effective way to use the exploding blast of the Popgun besides shieldbreaking? Like, edgeguards and stuff? Is there any video recorded of the move actually killing off opponents?

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
I've never seen it before. Maybe if you can bait someone to jump on you at the last second.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
How do I finish off :4mario: effectively? Last time I played my friend drove me crazy with him... Only U Smash was a reliable kill option because he kept intercepting my Side B kick with U Smash - which I didn't expect was so effective.

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
Hey, post patch I've been seeing a lot of Diddys up throw fair, and up throw a lot more in general. I saw some of that pre patch but is there a reason Im seeing this so much more in particular? Just a coincidence?
Does a few percent more damage. I use Uthrow -> Uair once I use Dair a few times since Dair gets stale.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
1.0.7 up throw combos are good

1.0.8 we go back to dthrow combos (added hitstun might make dthrow dair a true combo by the ledge???? hype) and uthrow uair for the kill (at an even higher percentage than 1.0.7 smh)

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
1.0.7 up throw combos are good

1.0.8 we go back to dthrow combos (added hitstun might make dthrow dair a true combo by the ledge???? hype) and uthrow uair for the kill (at an even higher percentage than 1.0.7 smh)
can't wait to test that, but is the Up throw nerfed? or is it just not as useful as old d-throw?
Also no one's confirmed it so maybe i was just feeling things, but i thought it took a little longer to act our of Uair.
edit, someone confirmed in the Diddy nerf thread, 2 frames apparently.

Last edited:

Illuminose

Smash Ace
How do you do Diddy's instant banana spawn/catch. I see good Diddy Kong players spawning and instantly catching bananas in midair, but I can't figure out this technique.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
How do you do Diddy's instant banana spawn/catch. I see good Diddy Kong players spawning and instantly catching bananas in midair, but I can't figure out this technique.
Press down b (gently), jump, airdodge when touching the banana. You could also be referring to (i)ZAC which is when you airdodge whilst holding a banana and then instantly input an aerial so you can do an aerial with a banana in hand.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
We should probably talk about which matchups we lose post patch. Any suggestions other than Luigi and Sheik?
I never actually thought Sheik was all that bad for us. I'm struggling more with the likes of :4mario::4peach: than :4luigi::4sheik:.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Up throw to up air rarely kills now on a stage that doesn't have low blast zones.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I have problems with Mario too. And also Rosalina, Sheik
Rosalina isn't all that bad for me. Then again, my matchup experience vs her is probably better than vs most. I can really kill off Luma extremely well, with any character. I really love using Side B's kick for targetting Luma in the Rosalina matchup. And then follow up with something swift as F Air. In most Omega stages, those attacks should be enough to let Luma fly off the stage. It becomes a lot harder when she has the Star Bit projectile though. But even after all these nerfs, I still think Rosalina is not a bad matchup for Diddy.

Mario is just a ****ing douchebag. He can get in on us easier, and due to our weight + fallspeed we fall prey to Mario's semi-automatic combos easier than others. And U Smash has crazy priority, even rivalling Side B kick. It's a frustrating matchup for me. I'm not used to being outplayed in neutral, and neutral vs Mario is a lot different than say, vs Sheik. At least, as Diddy it is.

Dalxp26

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dalxp26
How is Jtails performing the momentum switch and turnaround after monkey flip in these videos? It looks like a B-reversal to me but... it's performed after the monkey flip? Forgive me if this is obvious but I don't have the game in front of me and it's 2am.

http://youtu.be/iYU42oH5wCM?t=3m44s

http://youtu.be/ecI0gPmeszQ?t=5m49s

Late to this be but im assuming you figured out how to do this by now. My question is do you know how to do that but instead of a pop gun cancel its a banana pluck? I am having the hardest time trying to figure it out. I can be reverse the banana pluck after the monkey flip but i cant seem to make the banana pluck shift my momentum. Ive done it once out a sheer luck. I see Zero and MVD do it all the time.

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
Late to this be but im assuming you figured out how to do this by now. My question is do you know how to do that but instead of a pop gun cancel its a banana pluck? I am having the hardest time trying to figure it out. I can be reverse the banana pluck after the monkey flip but i cant seem to make the banana pluck shift my momentum. Ive done it once out a sheer luck. I see Zero and MVD do it all the time.
You kinda just do the same B-reverse as the pop gun double reverse , it's just inputting it at the right time after htting downB.

Jaylowww

Smash Cadet
NNID
thatdudejono
3DS FC
5086-1719-4466
I actually managed to figure out how to do this consistently after about an hour in training mode. There's a certain trick to getting it right which determines whether you do a turnaround pluck or a wavebounce pluck (which you see in the video). I'll try and write up an explanation to it if people want, or maybe even do a video if the worded explanation isn't clear enough.

I speak Spanish too

Smash Journeyman
I actually managed to figure out how to do this consistently after about an hour in training mode. There's a certain trick to getting it right which determines whether you do a turnaround pluck or a wavebounce pluck (which you see in the video). I'll try and write up an explanation to it if people want, or maybe even do a video if the worded explanation isn't clear enough.
That would help alot.

busken

Smash Ace
what can true combo into dash attack aside from banana?

Last edited:

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
what can true combo into dash attack aside from banana?
u-air is a decent option for comboing with dash attack, however dash attack in GENERAL with diddy kong isn't really a safe option very often unless you throw it into your match randomly when they're not expecting it.

Dalxp26

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dalxp26

This would help out tremendously!

Last edited:
Top Bottom