• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Diddy's Q&A + Competitive Development - ASK QUESTIONS HERE

Leeyam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
leeyamnz
Today I learnt that Diddy's sideB is actually pretty easy for people to read, got crapped on a lot when they rolled back and punished me. What I started doing is sideBing only when I was a lot closer to them. This way I can get them when they roll back (which they instinctively do most of the time) and cover a whole lot more options.

Blitzern

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blitzern
Does teching Diddy's down throw make that much of a difference in where you end up?

IWinToLose

Smash Apprentice
Dthrow knockback increased so at 100%+ uair no longer combos for the kill off a Dthrow.

Uair landing lag increased to 18 frames so it's a bit more risk/reward to hit grounded people while descending.

Increase air recovery time of Uair by about 4 frames so people can escape double Uair and not get hit guaranteed by the 2nd Uair.

I think this is all he needs to be balanced.

Last edited:

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
@TriforceOfChozo Usually (towards shooter) short hop, fast fall, mid-air, gets me close enough for an Fair or nair. if not fast fall between the gaps. if they roll before your aerial, try to flip at them. (also Hello everybody!)

Last edited:

Killem

Smash Rookie
NNID
Imfappin
3DS FC
3067-6040-7700
Switch FC
5654 5358 1016
All true, except for the part about Diddy not needing any chances. But it's all still irrelevant; you play who you want because you are supposed to enjoy it, not because they are the most powerful.
Diddy really doesnt need any nerfs though hes just as bad as like melee fox compared to other characters

Last edited:

Rambolav

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rambolav
3DS FC
4210-4112-3193
Nvm, just found the answer to my question ^^

Last edited:

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
What are some solid, consistent Diddy combos? I've mostly been exploring from Dthrow, but that gets predictable after awhile. Dthrow still awesome. :D

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
What are some solid, consistent Diddy combos? I've mostly been exploring from Dthrow, but that gets predictable after awhile. Dthrow still awesome. :D
It shouldn't matter if it's predictable because dthrow-aerial is guaranteed until high percents, at which point it's still really good for creating frame traps anyway.

Other strings are utilt- uair (at low percents you may be able to chain multiple utilts first).

Dtilt to either short fair or dash grab is also legit at low to mid percents.

A bit more gimmicky but hitting someone with the actual banana pluck can combo into an aerial or even an fsmash if you do it on the ground.

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
It shouldn't matter if it's predictable because dthrow-aerial is guaranteed until high percents, at which point it's still really good for creating frame traps anyway.

Other strings are utilt- uair (at low percents you may be able to chain multiple utilts first).

Dtilt to either short fair or dash grab is also legit at low to mid percents.

A bit more gimmicky but hitting someone with the actual banana pluck can combo into an aerial or even an fsmash if you do it on the ground.
Thanks! Seems like I have to work on my Dtilt game more. Came from Brawl Falco so am still using Jab mainly.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Thanks! Seems like I have to work on my Dtilt game more. Came from Brawl Falco so am still using Jab mainly.
Try to avoid using jab on Diddy, jab1 is pretty fast but it doesn't combo into grab and the full jab combo is punishable most of the time.

Also correction, dthrow to aerial may not be guaranteed except at very low percents if the opponent DIs up and the way they were facing when they were in the grab. Alot of the time it's better to dthrow them instantly than to pummel because pummeling gives them time to set up their DI. If you just dthrow them instantly out of the grab they might not DI properly and it will result in a net damage profit due to being able to land at least one aerial.

DoubleDreamHands

Smash Rookie
Im new to Diddy Kong and need some help.

Basically my whole game revolves around grabbing to dthrow uair chain (lame i know) but if I cant grab or the other player is too slippery I have a hard time playing them. What are some general strategies I can use to play diddy well I feel like im throwing out random fairs and fsmashes hoping they connect.

I watch Diddy tourney matches it doesnt help too much. I try to do the same thing and it doesnt work.

Shammonx

Smash Cadet
NNID
Shammon
So I'm trying to get the ball rolling in the ROB match up thread, and I believe Diddy vs ROB is about 55/45 in Diddy's favor. Pretty close as long as the ROB doesn't allow himself to be juggled, what do you guys think?

Spatman

Smash Ace
Im new to Diddy Kong and need some help.

Basically my whole game revolves around grabbing to dthrow uair chain (lame i know) but if I cant grab or the other player is too slippery I have a hard time playing them. What are some general strategies I can use to play diddy well I feel like im throwing out random fairs and fsmashes hoping they connect.

I watch Diddy tourney matches it doesnt help too much. I try to do the same thing and it doesnt work.
You have a banana. Use it ;)

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
I have heard something about a lag less landed dair. The hitbox comes out, but Diddy ends up almost instantly in neutral. I haven't been able to repro, but someone I know says he can do this, and if so, this adds a lot of wonderful mixup options and adds to his combo game. Anyone know anything about this lagless dair and how to do it?

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Just wondering, what makes diddy broken in this game considering he wasn't broken in brawl? His main tool in brawl, bananas, got significantly nerfed and if I'm not mistaken, the stage control that bananas provided was the main reason he was top tier in that game.

Spatman

Smash Ace
Just wondering, what makes diddy broken in this game considering he wasn't broken in brawl? His main tool in brawl, bananas, got significantly nerfed and if I'm not mistaken, the stage control that bananas provided was the main reason he was top tier in that game.
dthrow - up air combo

Luisfer

Smash Rookie
Is there a matchup thread? I thought this thread would be like the closest to that.

Anyways, I wanted a bit of insight in the :4diddy: vs :bowser: MatchUp, especially when you, as diddy kong, are hanging in the ledge. I feel like bowser covers a LOT of recovery options to get into the stage, the safest for me seems to be to ledge-jump then side b into the stage while pulling a banana but a bit of advice would be heavily appreciated. :nifty:

Andrew_Ryan

Smash Cadet
You mean how to get back against a Bowser? Yeah I agree that it's tough. The fact that Bowser can also just run off and Fair is tough. Bowser's running speed isn't uber, so on bigger levels, just barreling to the other ledge can work. Also saving the second jump to uair is always fun :D

Andrew_Ryan

Smash Cadet
I have heard something about a lag less landed dair. The hitbox comes out, but Diddy ends up almost instantly in neutral. I haven't been able to repro, but someone I know says he can do this, and if so, this adds a lot of wonderful mixup options and adds to his combo game. Anyone know anything about this lagless dair and how to do it?
Yeah I've accidentally done this. I can perform a lagless dair no problem, but getting the hitbox to come out, I'm not sure. It's pretty crazy though when it happens. Maybe I'll test it on a fat character and see what I can come up with. Cuz when people tech a laggy dair, it kinda sucks.

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
Yeah I've accidentally done this. I can perform a lagless dair no problem, but getting the hitbox to come out, I'm not sure. It's pretty crazy though when it happens. Maybe I'll test it on a fat character and see what I can come up with. Cuz when people tech a laggy dair, it kinda sucks.
Yeah, if it's anything like I'm imagining it, it sounds like a great mixup id like to have in my arsenal

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
At this point, who are generally viewed as the best Diddy Kong players in Smash 4?

Chronocide

Smash Cadet
Can somebody provide a link on how to do Diddy's reverse pop gun cancel? (You know that magic voo-doo thing he does mid air.)

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Can somebody provide a link on how to do Diddy's reverse pop gun cancel? (You know that magic voo-doo thing he does mid air.)
You need to know how to B-Reverse (read the thread/watch the vid). You do that in tandem with popgun cancelling which is just pressing shield after pressing B I believe.

Last edited:

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
One tip I can give you if you're having trouble that I know I was missing is that you need to hold b in order for it to cancel, I was just pressing it and following all the other instructions and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working

Robin1613

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Robin1613
Hey fellow kongs, recently placed 4th with our favorite kong. I was knocked into losers by ninjalinks megaman. He was superb with walling me out with megamans lemons. I tried monkey flipping through them, tossing bananas, and peanuts. They all got out prioritized by the lemons. How do you guys approach this match up?

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Diddy's banana's are OP
you shield, he uses his side special command grab, you jump, he jumps and uses his side b kick or command grab, or z drop and fair. you roll, well, you're kinda screwed, you use projectiles, then you actually...get somewhere.

Dissent

Bananaman Formerly Known As Sails
NNID
dotDissent
Diddy's banana's are OP
you shield, he uses his side special command grab, you jump, he jumps and uses his side b kick or command grab, or z drop and fair. you roll, well, you're kinda screwed, you use projectiles, then you actually...get somewhere.
Jump and air-dodge + c-stick to instantly throw it back at them? Full jump really high, preferably to a platform? Roll through their approach?

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Diddy's banana's are OP
Bananas have very low priority so no. in brawl they were pretty dumb since they were persistent and had transcendental priority.

Top Bottom