• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Diddy's Q&A + Competitive Development - ASK QUESTIONS HERE

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
I have a question for you guys.
How do you guys counter spammy projectiles online? I just keep getting owned because I can't approach w/o getting hit by projectiles. I find it really hard to dodge them online. Any suggestions?
d
Well, I guess this is kinda how I deal with camping if I don't feel like powershielding
(Mid/close range) Side B kick beats out most projectiles if you make a read/ react to the projectile animation's startup, but be sure to space properly, the lag is terrible if you miss. You can also just ftilt non transcendent projectiles, which is very good against mario and lugi fireball approaching
(Long range) Stronger projectiles like Toon link's projectiles can break through diddy's UP B, so start charging it and let the projectile hit you, the barrels will go flying around and then the campy character has to worry about getting hit by your terrifying

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Is anyone concerned that the upcomingpatch might nerf diddys dthrow? a lot of people are calling for it :(
Don't think it would happen this patch but I could see it happening sometime in the future. We would live w/o our crazy d-throw. All 3 of our other throws are very good. Even in that Leffen vs Armada video, you can see Leffen opt for U-throw instead of D-throw in some situations.
How do you guys counter spammy projectiles online? I just keep getting owned because I can't approach w/o getting hit by projectiles. I find it really hard to dodge them online. Any suggestions?
Like Hoenn mentioned, Side-b kick is really a godsend for getting through this. If you can make some space, pull a banana before approaching. Use something like short hop banana toss, and then either side-b or walk/run at them following the banana. You can also crawl under some player's camping patterns. Worst comes to worst, walk + shield until you get close enough to be threatening.

an1bal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anibalt
3DS FC
0018-2664-8234
Vids of Leffen vs Armada in GFs (:4diddy: dittos)
Good Lord Ive never seen so many uairs in my life! I love how armada used his fair to edgeguard. He kept diddy still in the air. Felt like watching him use Peach nair in melee.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Diddy Kongs Monkey Flip is a very potent Tool here
Be Mindful of Projectile Priority and Match up Knowledge
  • Do not use peanuts. They have very little Priority, for example Marios Fire Ball does not even clash with peanut, it eats it and continues on its way
  • Monkey flip Kick can Kick projectiles in the same way
  • Cross-up Roll E.I Roll behind Projectile specials generally have a decent amount of lag to make it not extremely spam-able. Roll are fast and should be unpunishable if they just used a special. you can get punishes or at least force a defensive option
How to Approach through projectiles
Linear Projectiles:
  • Short Hop Monkey Flip, your first instinct it to shield them, but this builds on yourselfShield pressure that was unnecessary.in actuality its generally better to jump over them. Be sure to use the Smash input on the Monkey Flip so its faster and has more distance. Also when Short hopped it has no Landing Lag. This can easily force a defensive option out of them, If they Panic Roll Away you can easily chase because Monkey Flip covers Quite a bit of distance and if they Roll Toward you, you can quickly input a B-reversed Peanut just before you touch the ground which will reverse the immense amount Momentum from a Smash input Monkey Flip and you can cancel with a Banana Toss, Shield, or Grab. Also this Pretty Safe because you can Shift the momentum, but yo get very strong results you MUST Smash input the Monkey Flip
  • Crawl, If they throw out projectiles High or you know you can duck under them do so. If they Run in for a followup you can simple shield then punish such as links arrows
Arcing Projectiles

• High Monkey Flip
  • Dash in low and Shield

Item Projectiles

• Do not Challenge these, Throwing has little Lag. They have very powerful Follow ups. Simple shield them and have them expended. Once expended they need space to pull another out. Stay in and Spot dodge as they start to fish for the Grab for the distance.
  • Also they may just Roll alot, Read the Rolls and punish. Don't feel to bad if you miss. If they are Rolling a lot you'll eventually get a few. Be mind full of Grabs and Jabs out of Rolls.
This is all I've really done. I'd like to Hear other Strats but I believe this question is really more per match up thing.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Also Have you tried Diddy Kongs Crawl Dash its ridiculous. Use smash Side-B Monkey Flip For maximum Air speed and when you land Crawl Backwards and the timing does not need to be very precise. You shift all your momentum.

Also I have't seen much talk about Monkey Flip Landing Slide thing. When you Monkey Flip by Tapping Side-B you Have way more Air Speed and when you land you have way bigger Slide than you would normally have when landing. Some moves Keep your momentum Such as Dtilt, Dsmash, Utilt, Usmash, standing Grab, Peanut Gun, Banana Pull, item Throw, any taunt, shield and Spot Dodge. Any other move stops you dead in your tracks.

Only the above moves allow you to slide as you attack, but Peanut Gun and Standing Grab Can't be done whilst Crawling/ducking. Luckily You can B-reverse Peanut gun and keep your momentum and Grab out of Peanut Gun. Also because Peanut gun makes diddy decelerate, you want to Grab As soon as you can when you touch the stage.

What I've been able to do out a Crawl Dash consistently is Dtilt. I need a C-stick now. Tried it in for Glory. When you Jump and then monkey Flip the opponent Smells a Kick and prepares a Shield Grab because Monkey Flip is too high for a the command grab. What I did was I Crawl Dashed and Dtilted his Shield and his Grab Whiffs because I slide away

So all in all you do have access to Momentum shifting all your Sliding moves out of Tap Monkey Flip

This gives Diddy Kong a lot of movement options similar to Lucas in brawl momentum boost from pk fire and Magnet Pull Boost and B-reversal stuff

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Heres a way to convert Dtilt into a Kill very early
Smash Monkey Flip > Mega Slide Dtilt > Fsmash

(is there a proper name for Smash Input Monkey Flip, the input is like the difference Samus's Strong missle vs homing, whatever I'll refer to it as just tilt and smash)
Should kill at 85+% near the edge of the stage

Last edited:

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Tried it in for Glory. When you Jump and then monkey Flip the opponent Smells a Kick and prepares a Shield Grab because Monkey Flip is too high for a the command grab. What I did was I Crawl Dashed and Dtilted his Shield and his Grab Whiffs because I slide away
This is a really neat mix-up because this is definitely is the exact place most Diddys would throw the kick. This would be really hard to react to. Awesome find.

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
Also Have you tried Diddy Kongs Crawl Dash its ridiculous. Use smash Side-B Monkey Flip For maximum Air speed and when you land Crawl Backwards and the timing does not need to be very precise. You shift all your momentum.

Also I have't seen much talk about Monkey Flip Landing Slide thing. When you Monkey Flip by Tapping Side-B you Have way more Air Speed and when you land you have way bigger Slide than you would normally have when landing. Some moves Keep your momentum Such as Dtilt, Dsmash, Utilt, Usmash, standing Grab, Peanut Gun, Banana Pull, item Throw, any taunt, shield and Spot Dodge. Any other move stops you dead in your tracks.

Only the above moves allow you to slide as you attack, but Peanut Gun and Standing Grab Can't be done whilst Crawling/ducking. Luckily You can B-reverse Peanut gun and keep your momentum and Grab out of Peanut Gun. Also because Peanut gun makes diddy decelerate, you want to Grab As soon as you can when you touch the stage.

What I've been able to do out a Crawl Dash consistently is Dtilt. I need a C-stick now. Tried it in for Glory. When you Jump and then monkey Flip the opponent Smells a Kick and prepares a Shield Grab because Monkey Flip is too high for a the command grab. What I did was I Crawl Dashed and Dtilted his Shield and his Grab Whiffs because I slide away

So all in all you do have access to Momentum shifting all your Sliding moves out of Tap Monkey Flip

This gives Diddy Kong a lot of movement options similar to Lucas in brawl momentum boost from pk fire and Magnet Pull Boost and B-reversal stuff
Thank you for this. I can't believe I didn't know about it sooner. It will change my Diddy game immensely. The sliding standing grab is particularly cool because you get the benefit of the increased range of a dash grab, with less ending lag.

Luigi player

Smash Master

haha just found this out yesterday by accident : D it's pretty fun to play around with.

Tripswag

Smash Cadet

Interesting concept. Are there any videos of this? I guess it's easy to perform, though. I'll have to play around with it tomorrow!

an1bal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anibalt
3DS FC
0018-2664-8234

CAn anyone provide a video? I have no idea waht youre talkingabout on thisone.

Oh and heres an ledgeguard I pulled off.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
CAn anyone provide a video? I have no idea waht youre talkingabout on thisone.

Oh and heres an ledgeguard I pulled off.
Short Hop > Side B > Land > MBS (momentum based slide)
when you land you have a large slide Because of your momentum
You get a bigger slide when you Smash Side B instead of tilt Side B because of the extra speed
If you crawl Backwards you reverse your momentum. this is called crawl dashing. it was in brawl.
Some move conserve your momentum, such as Dtilt, Dsmash, utilt, Usmash, Standing Grab, Charging Smashes(but not inherently the smash atttack), taunt, spot dodge
Bowser can do the same thing, Coined the WaveSlash, His Side special gives alot of Momentum thus has a large MBS and he can crawl dash do to having a crawl.
What should we name our slide? Has someone already Coined a name? IDK

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
how 'bout Monkey Skid? Or maybe just a cool, umbrella term for sliding in general like Momentum Drift? Or Flip Glide (FG) that way people can have it confused with For Glory (also FG) lel

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
you kinda slide like you do with wave dashing right? flipdashing?
FlipDash, FD.
at around 86% FD > Dtilt > Fsmash
First you Final Destination, then you Dtilt, you'll slide during Dtilt and both hits of fsmash should connect.
This can Kill very early at the edge of the stage.
Flipdash, I like it.

Last edited:

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
FlipDash, FD.
at around 86% FD > Dtilt > Fsmash
First you Final Destination, then you Dtilt, you'll slide during Dtilt and both hits of fsmash should connect.
This can Kill very early at the edge of the stage.
Flipdash, I like it.
This comment did make me laugh so thanks for that. But that indeed sounds kind of silly. Flipslide

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
This comment did make me laugh so thanks for that. But that indeed sounds kind of silly. Flipslide
I actually like Flipdash. Its fine that its initials are a homograph of Final destination. It's all in context. one hilarious example of homograph initials Is sonic's Spin Dash (SD) and Self Destruct (also SD). First you Suicide > Jump > uair.

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
the way i generally deal with it is just get in close and stay in there. diddy can go to town on basically every projectile spammy character from close range. if you get in their face and dont leave them alone it makes it a lot harder for them to constantly throw out projectiles.

as a side note, i find sideB really good for punishing players who like to roll away from you. i hope this info helps

Also if anyone can post a video of flipdashing or flipsliding or whatever we're calling it, i'd greatly appreciate that
Edit: Figured it out. if anyone is interested i can post a video of how it works on friday when i get my hands on the wii u copy

Last edited:

Zeko

Smash Rookie
Can someone explain to me how to play mind games against opponents using diddy, and potentially show me some solid footage of him in action.

I really wanna get good with diddy but I'm having a difficult time pursuing/getting my combos off appropriately

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
Can someone explain to me how to play mind games against opponents using diddy, and potentially show me some solid footage of him in action.

I really wanna get good with diddy but I'm having a difficult time pursuing/getting my combos off appropriately
Check out the diddy kong video thread. There are quite a few videos of very high level players playing tournament matches with diddy. You can learn a lot from them

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864

http://smashboards.com/threads/diddy-kong-video-thread.371543/

Here's this^ Jtails is pretty good, check out his youtube channel.

Try not to play super aggressively or else you're just going to be power shielded. Having a banana out at all times keeps an opponent guessing, and gives you options you otherwise would not have. Also, new Diddys forget to use the peanut gun, this can keep an opponent at bay. And if they catch a peanut by mistake that's your opportunity to go in.

Jahordon

Smash Journeyman
Do good Diddy's prefer to keep a banana in hand or to put one on the stage to force opponents to jump over it?

I feel like a thrown banana can be easily shielded/spotdodged/rolled out of, but a placed banana can also be destroyed or waited out until it vanishes.

Last edited:

Turks13

Smash Rookie
Hello! Im new to this community but id like to make a contribution. I first want to apologize if theese have already been discovered, or if they are usless. But id say its worth looking into. I'll start with Diddys popgun reversal, I was trying it out and I believe I found a new method. I'll upload a video if I can later(I'm on the road currently will try tonight, or if some one performs theese successfuly feel free to link a video to it.).
I saw this:"
1. Hold shield in the air
2. Press B for the popgun, let go almost immediately
3. Tap opposite direction to turn in the air.
4. Hold B until it cancels itself."from Zinoto. In my persuit to learn this it just wouldn't work! I ended up with this for button presses:
-Jump/short hop.
-Press b then the opposite direction of the way you're facing. Pretty much at the same time but press b first.
-Once you see Diddy start to pull out his popgun press shield to cancel the animation.

This should result in Diddy flipping directions. If timed correctly. You should have no air-dodge and a very little bit of popgun animation.

My personal thoughts on this:
-It seems to be lagless.
-Sometimes when I do this Diddy caries his momentum in the direction you push, I'm unsure of the timing to do this but it happens, almost like snakes b reversal in Project M.
-You can follow this up with any move or even a jump.

Next, I havnt seen anything on this but its a jumping recovery. Feel free to give a better name. I believe this is doable on any character, but I haven't tested it. It's easy to perform, so here's how:
-On your air jump press your jump button at the same time as your up b.

This should result in Diddy "sliding" upwards while charging his revovery.

Personal thoughts:
-You MUST be hit or launched by your oponent to do this with recovery, but not your other specials.(to my knowledge)
-This is much easier to do with Tap-Jump on, but I don't use tap jump and works just as well.
-Can do this to not fall off the bottom of screen while charging recovery
-Can be disorienting for your opponent, as in harder to read so your opponent can't break your recovery as easily.
-This does use up your second jump so keep that in mind.
-This can be done with any of Diddys specials

I hope this helps or you learned somthing. Please let me know if theese have already been discovered so I can give them credit.
This is my first post so if you have any tips or things I can do to make it better please let me know.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Hello! Im new to this community but id like to make a contribution. I first want to apologize if theese have already been discovered, or if they are usless. But id say its worth looking into. I'll start with Diddys popgun reversal, I was trying it out and I believe I found a new method. I'll upload a video if I can later(I'm on the road currently will try tonight, or if some one performs theese successfuly feel free to link a video to it.).
I saw this:"
1. Hold shield in the air
2. Press B for the popgun, let go almost immediately
3. Tap opposite direction to turn in the air.
4. Hold B until it cancels itself."from Zinoto. In my persuit to learn this it just wouldn't work! I ended up with this for button presses:
-Jump/short hop.
-Press b then the opposite direction of the way you're facing. Pretty much at the same time but press b first.
-Once you see Diddy start to pull out his popgun press shield to cancel the animation.

This should result in Diddy flipping directions. If timed correctly. You should have no air-dodge and a very little bit of popgun animation.

My personal thoughts on this:
-It seems to be lagless.
-Sometimes when I do this Diddy caries his momentum in the direction you push, I'm unsure of the timing to do this but it happens, almost like snakes b reversal in Project M.
-You can follow this up with any move or even a jump.

Next, I havnt seen anything on this but its a jumping recovery. Feel free to give a better name. I believe this is doable on any character, but I haven't tested it. It's easy to perform, so here's how:
-On your air jump press your jump button at the same time as your up b.

This should result in Diddy "sliding" upwards while charging his revovery.

Personal thoughts:
-You MUST be hit or launched by your oponent to do this with recovery, but not your other specials.(to my knowledge)
-This is much easier to do with Tap-Jump on, but I don't use tap jump and works just as well.
-Can do this to not fall off the bottom of screen while charging recovery
-Can be disorienting for your opponent, as in harder to read so your opponent can't break your recovery as easily.
-This does use up your second jump so keep that in mind.
-This can be done with any of Diddys specials

I hope this helps or you learned somthing. Please let me know if theese have already been discovered so I can give them credit.
This is my first post so if you have any tips or things I can do to make it better please let me know.
I already did a post on Peanut cancel this and B-reversals. though a lot of people already kind of knew this stuff so Credit is hard to give. Also the boosted Recoveries have been around but this post is a nice refresher.

Turks13

Smash Rookie
I have another mini contribution! The Skid canceled Pick up. All it is, is picking up a banana out of dash slide instead of picking it up with Dash Attack.
Super easy to preform! Here's how:
-Initiate dash in direction towards banana/item
-Release direction almost on-top or on-top of your banana
-Press A!

If performed correctly Diddy should grab banana and slide/skid.

Personal Thoughts:
-I find this super useful to pick up a banana on the fly with little to no lag.
-Doesn't Initiate Dash Attack so you don't get stuck in that lengthy animation.

Help From: Azazel, He gave me the name and also noted this: "I feel that Skid canceled Pick up is Pretty good and easy to do since Diddy's skid pushes the banana making the pick up window bigger"

Feedback is appreciated, If this has been found by some one else please inform me so I can give credit/remove post if needed.
Just trying to be a help to the Smash community!

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
Ok first I hope everyone has been enjoying all of Smash Wii U has to offer I really am enjoying the game especially dat trophy rush haha.

So I wanted to post these up earlier but I didn't want to hear "Oh I can't do that on the 3DS yaddah yaddah"
I all these links that I have up I think are HIGHLY useful to Diddy's game overall if you were watching the KTAR XI stream some Diddy's were DashDancing twas a good day for us Diddy mains.
Learning the timing of Foxtrotting and getting it memorized in play is helpful especially since everyone still thinks running shield is a great approach in this game. :)
Pivoting to me is another highly useful tech that we should be using my favorite thing to do is Foxtrot to a retreating Pivot JCT Banana its really great for faking out.
http://smashboards.com/threads/perfect-pivot-foxtrotting-dashdancing.371139/
Shoutout to the homie @ Dissent Dissent for telling us we can Ftilt with a banana at first I thought it was situational but it really helps with approaching and spacing! I was able to do Ftilt to banana for pressuring.
http://smashboards.com/threads/pivot-smashing-ftilting-with-c-stick-info-video.378916/
Im pretty sure we can all agree Diddy's Jab sucks (I think its one of the worst Jabs in the game)
This tech with foxtrotting makes Dtilt a very safe approach I use it as a substitute for Jab its really great.
http://smashboards.com/threads/skid...-pm-crouch-canceled-runs-video-inside.368971/
Also @ Azazel Azazel for finding the cool application for crawl dashing I haven't really dived into its usefulness but once I get in the lab Im sure I'll some uses for it!

Diddy has a pseudo-ken combo on characters with vectoring removed I have been getting it more often but im sure as when players DI more correctly that will change haha.

Im pretty sure most of you know this which is why I didn't make a whole thread about it.
Two questions would it be ok to make a separate "Diddy moveset disscussion thread/community guide?" I think it would be really resourceful for upcoming Diddy's also it would make this thread less cluttered in the future.
Another question is has anyone been using for the former AT "Banana Choking" in there gameplay? The timing seems stricter but I have gotten many kills/setups on it!

Ok sorry for the long post but I hope this helps someone!

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
^ awesome post

Just wondering, what's the consensus for Diddy's dash attack at the moment? How useful is it?
I mainly use it as a tech chase option or punish as its way to laggy to use in general play also the hitbox is weird for me to space at times. The last hit of the dash attack is a guaranteed combo into whatever you want even for a kill setup with U-air.

Dissent

Bananaman Formerly Known As Sails
NNID
dotDissent
I don't see why a community guide thread would be a bad thing. Diddy is going to rise in popularity with the recent results and we're going to have a lot of people flooding the gate asking how to do everything they see.

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
Did any of you guys actually know that you can DI Robins thoron+ to avoid the last(Killing) hit? We found that out with a few people last week.

Dissent

Bananaman Formerly Known As Sails
NNID
dotDissent
Did any of you guys actually know that you can DI Robins thoron+ to avoid the last(Killing) hit? We found that out with a few people last week.
The custom move version? I can't say I've played with custom moves beyond a short stint on 3DS. Neat, though!

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
yeah the custom move, idk if you saw the set between @Zinoto and Nairo but it's possible to DI it by mashing your stick into robin :)

Last edited:

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
i agree with @ Dissent Dissent that we should have a thread for basic moveset/strategies for the same reason as he stated. Many top players including m2k, armada, leffen are picking up the character and with jtails and other diddy players achieving great tournament results, many players will be switching to diddy.

It also makes me wonder how long it will be before a patch comes out that nerfs our uair :(

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Rising Uair is pretty safe on shield and combos into another aerial.
Getting a grab with Diddy kong is very powerful so say let's start with Strats to Get That Grab!

Top Bottom