• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy, Right at Home: The Stage Discussion

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
Disclaimer: If an official Diddy stage discussion has already been created (and is maintained and up to date) then I apologize for creating this thread.

Choosing Your Battlegrounds
Ask any general, commander, sergeant, or grunt. All of them will tell you the same thing. "Know your battlefield. Knowledge is power." The same must be true for Diddy. Yes, I know, anybody can tell you "Final Destination FTW!!!!11!!!!" but can they tell you why, for example, Luigi's Mansion might be worth while? I have my doubts. For that reason, THIS will be the way we can acquire that knowledge. Periodically, we, as a collective, will all discuss the pro's and con's to hopefully every neutral and counterpick stage in the game. The first few will be easy choices, but as we progess to more intricate and dangerous stages, so too, will we progress to more intricate and adaptive strategies. That being said, welcome to......

THE OFFICIAL
STAGE
DISCUSSION!

We will go ahead and start with the easiest stage, Final Destination, and move on from there. Each stage will have their own seperate thread of discussion, which I will provide links to below. Once each stage has acquired the appropriate amount of responses, I will quote the best examples and explanations, here, on the home thread. That being said, I will provide the link for the thread next to the picture that corresponds with the stage.

Final Destination: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=9884938#post9884938

Battlefield:

Smashville:

Yoshi's Island (Brawl):

Pokemon Stadium 1:

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Since we're discussing it in here now:

FD Stuff:

• The stage is flat and has no platforms, making it easily Diddy's best stage. You should have little to no difficulty handling Bananas here.
  • You can Wall Cling under the ledges, but this will likely get you gimped.
  • You shouldn't take characters with projectiles here (especially Pit and Falco) because they'll have just as easy a time with theirs as you do yours. It is better in these situations to take a character to Smashville or Battlefield so you can use the platforms to avoid their projectiles.
  • Your opponent should will ban this stage. If they don't, definitely consider not taking them there; either they know that they can handle FD as well as Diddy, or they're just stupid. In these situations, ONLY take them here if you're sure it is the latter case. That said, it is still our best stage practically no matter what.
  • Diddy has no special techs specific to this stage due to the lack of anything but the ground. Just do Diddy stuff and enjoy not having platforms get in the way.
EDIT: The first post in this thread is my 666th post. This thread is going DOWN
( jk )

SRTM

Smash Ace
FD.
I RARELY play this stage in tournaments, unless its against some scrub who doesn't know about Diddy. Opponents usually ban it because of the amount of room for diddy's banana game.

That being said, it's Diddy's best stage for his banana mind games, and it's easy to camp on which is nice. The only weakness is that dreaded lip on the edge of the stage, be sure to take your time when recovering, and aim true. On this stage, I always try to have 2 bananas on it at all times, if you don't, run and pull one out. Kill Zones seem to be roughly the same all the way around, but the stage ceiling might be the easiest. So kill with a up-tilt or up-air if you can.

sai_:)

Smash Ace
Here's a random tidbit of info about FD. a few players I know aren't as afraid to take Diddy to fd simply because its banned SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO often that they think we wont do as well on it, and I find that interesting.

As Ingulit said if FDisnt banned don't recklessly assume that you 100% MUST go there. If your fighting a good player and they DON'T ban FD I'm not saying you cant take them there. but consider the options and benefits that THEY get for going to.

Of course FD is still a FANTASTIC and wonderful Diddy stage. no platforms to fux with your game.

Theres a small wall on the ledge for you to wall jump off of allowing for a quick bair or banana pluck.

Things are generally awesome on FD to sum it up.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Here's a random tidbit of info about FD. a few players I know aren't as afraid to take Diddy to fd simply because its banned SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO often that they think we wont do as well on it, and I find that interesting.
I can almost 100% assure you any Brawl player with a brain will never think that. FD is Diddy's best stage; he can do everything he can normally do on other stages, but better. Even if you don't play on FD often, your experience with doing Diddy's techs on other stages will transfer over into a great ease of tech skill on FD when you do play there. Diddy will always play better on FD; that's pretty much a fact, even if you don't play there often.

tibs7

Smash Champion
FD is great for diddy, sv is good but no where as good, others do well there but no as good as us. bf is real good, even better if you are adhd. yoshis is meh.
that was probs my most informative post.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
FD is great for diddy, sv is good but no where as good, others do well there but no as good as us. bf is real good, even better if you are adhd. yoshis is meh.
that was probs my most informative post.
tibs you're so helpful <3

Another little tidbit: while you can do this on almost any stage (even Jungle Japes, WTF), you can "Instant Wall Jump" off the edge by dropping from the edge, double jumping, and pushing the control stick towards the stage in a very short amount of time. It'll look like you never really dropped off the edge, but instead just did a Wall Jump from hanging.

You can't cling an edge like this, however... I think.

dvon21

Smash Apprentice
lol, i actually don't prefer YI at all. I end up having issues with the unequal height when using sideB. Normally
I use it and land on the higher part of the stage which gives me lag frames.. :/ Also I've really been into instant throwing lately and once the platform switches angles it makes it impossible to throw a banana towards the enemy cause when you throw it blocks it. The one advantage there is, is you can wall cling and mind game sometimes with that.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
I like SV better against heavy characters because its hard to kill on fd unless you get them to the edge.

TreK

Is "that guy"
SV's lateral blastzones are smaller than FD's, yup. The ceiling is the same.

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
Trying Something New!

Look people, Diddy boards really do need a stage discussion thread. There is no reason that we shouldn't already have something of this nature, that being said, lets go ahead and start a more interesting stage discussion. Obviously no one is interested in discussing FD, SV, and BF.

LETS TRY FOR RAINBOW CRUISE!

I will be updating the OP soon, I just don't have the unlaziness to do it right now.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I see what you did thar

10P-1s

EDIT: RC is a pain. Wall Lock on the boat, and don't ever get on the pendulum (camp the left platform until it disappears, then camp the right). And never let a Fox counterpick you here if they're going to randomly pick G&W by surprise (I lost a tournament because this happened). That's all I have to say.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
honestly rainbow cruise is a great diddy stage...just not so much getting gayed parts of the stage but with practice/experience you learn to avoid certain situations and always put urself where you choose to be.

honestly get a lead, jump/run away whole time. you have amazing jumps, great running speed. why bother being offensive lol cuz its cool? **** that man, camp anyone who dares to take u here cuz this stage is like norfair to a wario as diddy. too great for camping

just be smart, know your characters combo setups, know that dtilt/fair is amazing here, etc.

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
I think FDs a good stage for diddy i ussually go there an do really well

Variable

Smash Ace
I mean it's alright for diddy, but obviously not the strongest. Rainbow cruise is a metal stage, be smart, and know what your doing. Don't get stuck in traps, considering you don't have much time in one place. Take advantage of the map, not the other way around. I wouldn't say it's a great map for diddy, but do-able.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I mean it's alright for diddy, but obviously not the strongest. Rainbow cruise is a metal stage, be smart, and know what your doing. Don't get stuck in traps, considering you don't have much time in one place. Take advantage of the map, not the other way around. I wouldn't say it's a great map for diddy, but do-able.
I'm confused; what is a "metal stage"?

Also, DFEAR, we'll be in the air a lot when we're running away here, and then we're reallllllly slow horizontally :(

DFEAR

Smash Hero
dunno i see p1 staying grounded we can get across where we want to quick.

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
I'm confused; what is a "metal stage"?

Also, DFEAR, we'll be in the air a lot when we're running away here, and then we're reallllllly slow horizontally :(
I think he meant to type 'mental' stage.

Staying grounded on rainbow cruise is ridiculously hard. Any character with good aerial mobility and decent priority attacks can apply tons of pressure to us while we are trying to get grounded and pull nanas. I think that really our time on the flying boat and the time towards the end of the cycle are the only moments where you can take advantage of the stage. Otherwise it's going to HAVE to be hit and run tactics.

On a side note, do you think it would be possible to grab someone on the blocks and hold them until it sinks and then dthrow them under the rest of the upper level?

sai_:)

Smash Ace
On a side note, do you think it would be possible to grab someone on the blocks and hold them until it sinks and then dthrow them under the rest of the upper level?
Ive pulled this before with f-throw and gotten an easy freebie.(not the freaky through the stage thing) D-throw actually sounds like a better idea. Lets all start abusing this

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
Their damage would have to be over 100% i think in order for them not to break out before the block sinks, but i think it would be worth it. Also, how does that freaky through the stage thing work?

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
I think that smashville is a better stage than FD in certain matchups . It is harder to kill on FD than it is on smashville and you could do some pretty cool stuff on smashville's platform.

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
regarding the mlg stagelist and the differing levels of GAY:

norfair>brinstar>rainbow cruise

you should probably ban norfair unless you have an excellent secondary.
brinstar is pretty bad vs. mk because you can get sharked the whole match.

rainbow is the least bad for diddy except you can get planked on the only parts of the stage where it's playable for diddy

DFEAR

Smash Hero
love wasting bans :\ for fear of opponent counter picking norfair with mk/wario :\

Top Bottom