• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong Appreciation Thread: From Dinky to Diddy, From the Jungle to the Brawl.

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
if you don't want a character just cause you don't like what he looks like or the species he is, you are ******** and you need to stop complaining about something that won't be relevent in the long run

diddy for brawl
i said i didn'tlike the overall character but i didn't say he wouldn't be in brawl, in fact i said he probably will. I can complain if i want im just as entitled to not like the character as everyone else is to like it.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Diddy should be in Brawl.

It just doesn't make sense for Diddy not to be in it.

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
No, you're entitled to that, but we're entitled to argue our opinions as much as you are yours.
I was refering to the guy who said anybody who disagrees is ********. I have not said anything that means people who like diddy should not say so.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I'm sure most people who dislike Diddy really dislike Rareware because of the (great) way they handled the DK franchise. That's usually the case.

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
I don't want Diddy in Brawl, because he looks too childish.

I shouldn't make my descision on appearances? My good folk, look at Tingle.

Diddy's a chimp with a hat, who eats bananas. Compare that to a man with a beard who has a rocket launcher, and you've got to be either an idiot, or 2 years old to say the chimp is better. Another thing is that while characters like Ness are childish, he does things like shoot fire, and beat people with a bat.

Diddy does cartwheels.

Oh, but this is all just my opinion...

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
I was refering to the guy who said anybody who disagrees is ********. I have not said anything that means people who like diddy should not say so.
i never said whoever disagrees is ********. i just stated the reasons you stated for not wanting a character in were retarted.

but i guess i misunderstood your post. i mean you can hate diddy, but at least you accept the fact he will most likely get in

EDIT:to the guy above me, does it really matter if it's childish? i mean don't you think the pokemon won't fit in with snake?

it's gonna happen. we're gonna have mature things mixed with childish things. but it doesn't matter cause it's gonna be smash

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
True enough, but my point is simply that I wouldn't find it to be a good addition becasue of personal reasons. Another thing is that to me, although Pokemon are childish, the're also:

a) Unique; all of them are interesting creations that you would never really see anywhere else, with amusing expressions or movements. When it comes down to it, Diddy is a monkey.

b) A big part of Nintendo; Countless Pokemon games vs. a couple of games that feature a better character's sidekick . Although DK is also a monkey, I find he fits better because he has a greater legacy, and is a main character/Nintendo icon (moreso than Diddy, factually).

c) Better and more impressive fighters; We're seeing electrical strikes, fire-breathing, claws, psionic blasts, beams of energy, or anything really. Again, Diddy is a monkey.

I'm sorry, but I just see way more feasability in other characters. One giant monkey in the game is enough to me.

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
Well, truth be told I do and I don't.

I like him in his games; fits in to that environment fine.

But with a game like Brawl where there's already the big DK taking care of business, Diddy just won't seem all that great. It's like he's overshadowed by... everyone.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well what about Squirlte then? He's just a first stage Pokémon who probarly won't be as fast as Diddy whereas speed probarly will be Squirtle's best point, so who's overshadowed here? What about Zelda? Just a princess with some magical spells, not even to mentoin Peach... Or Kirby, who in his games best bet is to use his foe's abilities against them...

Think of Diddy just as you think of DK... Besides, did you know that an avarage chimp is aprox. 6 times as strong as an adult human? Seeing as this is just a video game after all it doesn't mathers much... But Diddy was also able to knock enemies over with his cartwheel who where almost twice as big as him in DKC, so he's nearly not as weak and defenseless as many of you people think he is.

And with that, all there is left to say is: DIDDY FOR BRAWL!!

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
I've already explained plenty of points that put your current arguments out of the loop.

Again, IC's are a main Nintendo character who have a history. Diddy was made to be a side kick, and while he has his own history, it's not as significant - granted, climbers never were TOO popular, but they were popular none the less. Another thing is that IC's along with G&W have been removed from Brawl according to inumerable sources.

I never said Diddy wasn't strong, I said he's not as cool. Squirtle provides me with a unique amusement, while Diddy is generic. I can go to a carnival to see monkeys do acrobatics.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Diddy's a chimp with a hat, who eats bananas. .
How many chimps do you know that wear hats?

Seriously though the DK series is so poorly represented its a crime. When I think of Donkey Kong and the Donkey Kong series, Diddy springs to mind instantaneously. Diddy deserves a place. Im not asking for Lanky Kong, Chunky Kong, Cranky Kong or a whole shedload of characters. Diddy will be fine for me ( King K. Rool would be a welcome addition aswell)

Off topic slightly; who thinks Rambi would be a good AT?

Dokuro

Smash Ace
I don't want Diddy in Brawl, because he looks too childish.
Haha, what? He doesn't look nearly as bad as Tingle, so what if he's not as cool as some "man with a beard who has a rocket launcher"?

Diddy should be in brawl. The Donkey Kong franchise needs more representatives obviously, K.rool and Diddy is probably all that we're going to get [maybe Diddy and Dixie tag team if we're lucky]. I quite frankly don't care if he doesn't have attacks with flashing lights or huge special effects or other nonsense. He deserves a spot in brawl nonetheless.

axemangx

Smash Champion
Tazmily Village, Currently Maining: Lucas and Didd
Diddy Kong seems like the only DK character that will come to Brawl other than DK himself.

He has so many possibilities, so he'd make a great adition

His rocket booster can like, run out of juice when staying for a long time, and first jump can be a small use of barrel-gas, then a huge one for the 2nd jump.

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
How many chimps do you know that wear hats?

Seriously though the DK series is so poorly represented its a crime. When I think of Donkey Kong and the Donkey Kong series, Diddy springs to mind instantaneously. Diddy deserves a place. Im not asking for Lanky Kong, Chunky Kong, Cranky Kong or a whole shedload of characters. Diddy will be fine for me ( King K. Rool would be a welcome addition aswell)

Off topic slightly; who thinks Rambi would be a good AT?
It's poorly represented becasue there's only a select few who really like the series any more. Reason being that they made a poor technical transition to 3D, and they lost that addictive and fun gameplay they used to have in the side-scrollers.

When I think of the DK series I think of... well, Donkey Kong.

His rocket booster can like, run out of juice when staying for a long time, and first jump can be a small use of barrel-gas, then a huge one for the 2nd jump.
-_-

I really don't think the DK series deserves any more spotlight until they really revive their core game, along with their fan-base.

Dokuro

Smash Ace
They have a big enough fanbase already. So what if Barrel Blast or Jungle Climber aren't their "core games", they're still good [JC is, at least].

For the Rambi AT thing, I'd rather have most of the animal buddies in Animal Crates, which would be an item.

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
They have a big enough fanbase already. So what if Barrel Blast or Jungle Climber aren't their "core games", they're still good [JC is, at least].

For the Rambi AT thing, I'd rather have most of the animal buddies in Animal Crates, which would be an item.
Right; says you.

Ask a hardcore gamer and something like RE4 would be at the top of their list.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
As long as Rambi & others are somehow included. Animal Crates would be cool but cant see it happening.

Dokuro

Smash Ace
Right; says you.

Ask a hardcore gamer and something like RE4 would be at the top of their list.
uh, okay...? I'd be willing to bet that there are still more Donkey Kong fans than you think. Also, Donkey Kong is still a big franchise for Nintendo nonetheless, it deserves more characters in Brawl.

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
uh, okay...? I'd be willing to bet that there are still more Donkey Kong fans than you think. Also, Donkey Kong is still a big franchise for Nintendo nonetheless, it deserves more characters in Brawl.
But there aren't as many DK fans as Metroid fans, or RE fans, or Mario fans, or Zelda fans. And when it comes down to it, popularity determines character additions, plain and simple.

And no, DK does not need more chars. What have they done with that franchise in the past 10 years? Nothing but gimmickey, younger audience, deviations that aren't TRUE DK titles. There are many, many other characters and franchises that need spots in this game besides DK.

This isn't Mario Tennis, or Mario Golf. Not Diddy Kong's Racing or Mario Kart. This is Brawl, and this is where the big boys come to play.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
And Diddy is a popular 'big boy' Nintendo character. He sure was more deserving than Dr. Mario or Roy.

Dokuro

Smash Ace
But there aren't as many DK fans as Metroid fans, or RE fans, or Mario fans, or Zelda fans. And when it comes down to it, popularity determines character additions, plain and simple.

And no, DK does not need more chars. What have they done with that franchise in the past 10 years? Nothing but gimmickey, younger audience, deviations that aren't TRUE DK titles. There are many, many other characters and franchises that need spots in this game besides DK.
well, duh. Sure, the Donkey Kong series may not be as popular as Mario, Metroid, or RE, but it's popular enough. More popular than **** like extremely obscure titles [stafy, anyone?] or stuff like Punch Out. Hell, Donkey Kong is probably more popular than Star Fox.

True DK titles do not matter because we are never getting another one, what matters is that they still keep some of the original stuff from those true DK titles, which they are doing in the King of Swing series and Barrel Blast.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
i beg to differ. there's plenty of fans of the DK series, but you're naming franchises that obviously are more popular

DK64. that's all i have to say. and yes there are some franchise that need spots, like metroid, but DK has been really underrepped in smash. the DK series has some unique characters that could play well in smash, diddy being the top one

Dokuro

Smash Ace
Of course he is, he's Donkey Kong's famous sidekick. Does it really matter if he's a side character? Like you said, popularity is what matters, and Diddy's the second most popular DK character, so there ya go.

Top Bottom