• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong Appreciation Thread: From Dinky to Diddy, From the Jungle to the Brawl.

Del Money

Smash Champion
wait, what? you're trying to confuse me aren't you...

look, for me i just can't see diddy as a duo. whenever i see it, i see diddy in a limited state, not using him for his full potential
look we just have to give in. Sakurai wins...we lose. diddy will never get the solo respect he deserves in brawl period
What could Diddy have/use that could rep his Diddy Kong Racing games?
his um...powersliding?

*sigh* its so depressing to fail while putting up a good fight.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
look we just have to give in. Sakurai wins...we lose. diddy will never get the solo respect he deserves in brawl period
i wouldn't say that. i know he had an interest in it, but he might go one way or the other. plus, dixie as an AT could pull it in solo's favor

Del Money

Smash Champion
i wouldn't say that. i know he had an interest in it, but he might go one way or the other. plus, dixie as an AT could pull it in solo's favor
ah yes. YES. RATIONAL, CALM THINKING FTW!!! so that means every update i have t ohope for dixie as an AT now. HOOYAH...sorry guys, its just good to not be depressed anymore

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
yes del money, don't loose hope. also another good arguement agaisnt the duo is that they were a duo in only 1 game. and while diddy has gotten bigger and better in his carear, dixie has faded away from the video game spotlight. for me, shes a perfect at, but to make her PC would be an insult to diddy and the more deserving characters that don't get in over her. or i could be going into rant mode, idk.

CM august

Smash Cadet
In terms of importance, Dixie Kong's right behind the big three (Donkey, Diddy, K. Rool) when it comes to representing the Donkey Kong series.

I doubt she'll get in though. So far they've revealed, let's see, ONE Donkey Kong character - and that's the prime primate himself. Four DK characters would be unbelievable... even though Mario's hit that number already.

Del Money

Smash Champion
honestly i think a dixie solo moveset is fairly easy to do which was also partly why i didnt want her teaming with Diddy. but Dixie's solo chances are slim and only helped by the fact that Diddy is probably a shoe-in, she had a trophy in melee, and that her and Diddy seem all too likely to end up being a team due to Sakurai's twisted preferences.

@CM_august
4 DK cahracters wouldnt be unheard of. Star Fox might hit 4 if falco is preserves and Wolf and Krystal both make it in. zelda had 4 in melee (excluding young link and including sheik)

bored

Smash Ace
I hope diddy is in.. I can't really see a final smash for him though maybe use his jetpack and dual wield guns..... I think that would be more suited for an AT.. :/

CM august

Smash Cadet
@CM_august
4 DK cahracters wouldnt be unheard of. Star Fox might hit 4 if falco is preserves and Wolf and Krystal both make it in. zelda had 4 in melee (excluding young link and including sheik)
That's true. I'm just skeptical since the level of DK representation in the past has not been good. Right now we have one character and one level confirmed. And out of all the infinitely diverse environments from the DK games, they choose one from Jungle Beat.

Del Money

Smash Champion
That's true. I'm just skeptical since the level of DK representation in the past has not been good. Right now we have one character and one level confirmed. And out of all the infinitely diverse environments from the DK games, they choose one from Jungle Beat.
you have a point. but on the plus side, the fact that a Jungle Beat level show more modernness in the DKC series even despite DK's DKC-style appearance. either way, both DK's appearance and the inclusion of a more decent DK level have an equal but opposite argument on Diddy's fate as a duo from the older days, or as a solo from the newer days. actually i think DK's DKC-style appearance holds stronger logical evidence in the Diddy/Dixie duo's favor unfortunately. but ill still be hoping for that Dixie AT

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
Performing aerial bombing raids on the Marth forum
I like Diddy, but I have a question about him.

I read the movelist, and a lot of them seem kind of.... plain. Most of his moves deal with his tail, or they're just not impressive. I thought Diddy would be neat at some point, but over time I was thinking about what his movelist would be. You see, a character may be popular, but they're only truly great when they have a good moveset.

I know you guys aren't making the game. But is there a way to spice up some of Diddy's moves? He just seems too plain to me. I'd hate to see Diddy appear in Brawl and not have anyone use him. I understand his moveset would be hard to do since he lacks several skills. Besides there are enough characters that use their tails anyway.

The Final Smash and B attacks were good picks though!

Del Money

Smash Champion
which B attack moveset? the one with the pistols and jetpack for B and up+B? or the ones without pistols or jetpack moves?

Del Money

Smash Champion
oh..hmm i havent even seen that moveset. ill probably take a gander when im less tired. and plus Dixie has a good shot of screwing up Diddy's solo act...Diddy 4 Brawl.

Rikka

Smash Journeyman
How often does the TC post in this topic currently?

Diddy could let out the balloons from racing....and they turn into the rockets or whatever they were.

Kentalish

Smash Lord
ok somone post how Sakurai is in love with the diddy dixie duo.... if i remember diddy solo was first
Koopa Troopa (Super Mario Bros. - 1985)
Hammer Bros. (Super Mario Bros. - 1985)
Toad (Super Mario Bros. 2 - 1988)
Petey Piranha (Super Mario Sunshine - 2002)
Vivian (Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - 2005)
"Cel-Shaded" Link (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - 2002)
Tetra (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - 2002)
Link's Uncle (The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - 1991)
Ganon/Ganondorf (The Legend of Zelda/The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - 1986/1998)
Bow Wow the Chain Chomp (The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX - 1998)
Ridley (Metroid - 1986)
Sylux (Metroid Prime: Hunters - 2006)
Noxus (Metroid Prime: Hunters - 2006)
Weavel (Metroid Prime: Hunters - 2006)
Peppy Hare (Star Fox - 1993)
Slippy Toad (Star Fox - 1993)
Krystal (Star Fox Adventures - 2002)
Wolf O'Donnell (Star Fox 64 - 1997)
Diddy Kong (solo) (Donkey Kong Country - 1994)
Diddy Kong & Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country/Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest - 1994/1995)

King K. Rool (Donkey Kong Country - 1994)
Ninten (Mother - 1989)
Paula (Mother 2 [EarthBound in the U.S.] - 1994 [1995])
Jeff (Mother 2 [EarthBound in the U.S.] - 1994 [1995])
Poo (Mother 2 [EarthBound in the U.S.] - 1994 [1995])
Claus (Mother 3 - 2006)
Lucas (Mother 3 - 2006)
Princess Kumatora (Mother 3 - 2006)
King Dedede (Kirby's Dreamland - 1992)
Lololo & Lalala (Kirby's Dreamland - 1992)
Marx (Kirby Super Star - 1996)
Jeigan (Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryuu to Hikari no Tsurugi - 1990)
Oguma (Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryuu to Hikari no Tsurugi - 1990)
Nabarl (Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryuu to Hikari no Tsurugi - 1990)
Sheeda (Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryuu to Hikari no Tsurugi - 1990)
Maji (Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryuu to Hikari no Tsurugi - 1990)
Saji (Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryuu to Hikari no Tsurugi - 1990)
Sigurd (Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu - 1996)
Ike (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - 2005)
Soren (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - 2005)
Mia (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - 2005)
The Black Knight (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - 2005)
Gardevoir (Pokémon Ruby & Pokémon Sapphire - 2003)
Steven Stone (Pokémon Ruby & Pokémon Sapphire - 2003)
Black Shadow (F-Zero X - 1998)
Palutena (Kid Icarus - 1986)
Medusa (Kid Icarus - 1986)
Eggplant Wizard (Kid Icarus - 1986)
Isaac (Golden Sun - 2001)
Felix (Golden Sun - 2001)
Little Mac (Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream - 1990)
Dragon Chan (Super Punch-Out!! - 1994)
Banker (Mario Paint - 1992)
Ray 01 (Custom Robo - 2004)
Captain Olimar (Pikmin - 2001)
Human Main Character (Animal Forest - 2001)
Tom Nook (Animal Forest - 2001)
Chibi-Robo (Chibi-Robo! - 2005)
Harry the Robot (Teleroboxer - 1995)
Doctor Wright (SimCity - 1991)**
Muddy (Mole Mania - 1996)
The Blue Virus (Dr. Mario - 1990)
Urban Fighters (Urban Champion - 1984)
Lip (Panel de Pon - 1995)
Furil (Nintendo Puzzle Collection: Panel de Pon - 2003)
Takamaru (Nazo no Murasamejou - 1986)
Demiru (Tomato Adventure - 2002)
Tomato Robot (Tomato Adventure - 2002)
Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight - 1993)
Donbe (Shin Oni ga Shima - 1987)
Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Tantei Club Part II: Ushiro ni Tatsu Shoujo - 1989)*
Jill (Screw Breaker [Drill Dozer in the U.S.] - 2005 [2006])
Ippongi Ryuta of Cheer Squad (Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan - 2005)
Hero/Heroine (Magical Vacation - 2001)
Professor Kawashima (Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day - 2006)
Master Hand (Super Smash Bros. - 1999)
Crazy Hand (Super Smash Bros. Melee - 2001)
#166 Golden Sun characters and/or Advance Wars infantrymen
#218 Famicom Tantei Club characters

Third Party Suggestions

Mega Man (Capcom) (Mega Man - 1987)
G-Red (Capcom) (Gotcha Force - 2003)
Simon Belmont (Konami) (Castlevania - 1986)
Power Pro-Kun (Konami) (Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu '94 - 1994)
Lupus (Rare) (Jet Force Gemini - 1999)
Geno (Square Enix, Inc.) (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - 1996)
Mallow (Square Enix, Inc.) (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - 1996)
Sora (Disney/Square Enix, Inc.) (Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories - 2004)
Magnus Gallant (Quest/Nintendo) (Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber - 2000)
Princess Katia (From Software) (Lost Kingdoms - 2002)
Kalas (tri-Crescendo/Monolith Soft) (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean - 2003)
Thomas the Kung-Fu Master (Irem) (Spartan X [Kung-Fu in the U.S.] - 1985)

Del Money

Smash Champion
well i know that DK has had far too many bongo-based games lately but everyone else since his FS is more reminiscent of DK64? that means that if Diddy were to be solo, id be willing to bet he'll use a guitar move hands-down...but what would Diddy/Dixie FS be?

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
I think if anything, this lowers the chances of Diddy using his guitar as his final smash. I don't see why Sakurai would give two characters from the same game series what is basically, the same final smash. Donkey Kong's bongos originated in DK64, but were a major part of several of his games to follow. This final smash is repping all the canon Donkey Kong games from the last generation, which were almost all bongo related.

Diddy Kong's guitar, however, has remained in DK64 and hasn't been featured since then. I would like to see a Diddy Kong Racing themed final smash to rep his series of games. I'm not a big DKR fan myself, so does anyone have any ideas for what a final smash taken from this game would be like?

Del Money

Smash Champion
i never played DKR. in fact i shared an N64 with my brother and he said screw DKR...Mario Kart only. but to give all the kongs music-based FS's is kinda lame so perhaps they could give Diddy something barrel-based perhaps (which i cant really think of)...any ideas?

Pieman0920

Smash Master
When I made my Diddy Kong moveset awhile back, I used a DKR style FS, which basically gave Diddy the use of his plane, with the ability to fly around and fire missles for a short period of time. >_>

It's somewhere in this topic...

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Well shouldn't his jetpack just be his up B? With a small plane, you'd have more maneuverability, being able to control the flight fully, unlike the jetpack, which would fly basically straight up.

Looking at back for what I wrote about it, I said that pressing A drops bananas directly on the ground, while charging B let you shoot out missiles. (No charge is about one, while a full charge is a rapid 10, kinda like the game)

Del Money

Smash Champion
When I made my Diddy Kong moveset awhile back, I used a DKR style FS, which basically gave Diddy the use of his plane, with the ability to fly around and fire missles for a short period of time. >_>

It's somewhere in this topic...
hmm...maybe...

I dunno. He could fly around with his jet pack and drop klap traps or something.
HAHAHAHAHAAH...but laughter aside thats actually interesting. especially if his moveset doesnt use the jetbarrels at all like the alternative one i created (on page 218 or 219 i think). although im curious as to what a Diddy/Dixie team FS is. i guess if the duo thing is very much possible...might as well speculate on duo movesets

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
well i know that DK has had far too many bongo-based games lately but everyone else since his FS is more reminiscent of DK64? that means that if Diddy were to be solo, id be willing to bet he'll use a guitar move hands-down...but what would Diddy/Dixie FS be?
A possible guitar duo, since Dixie can play the guitar as well.

Del Money

Smash Champion
A possible guitar duo, since Dixie can play the guitar as well.
balls

now that i think of it, music-based FS's for all DK franchise characters is kinda homosexual. what K. Rool gonna do...play a ****ing battle trumpet? damm im starting to wish DK's FS was a multi-directional barrel bast of something and just left the music stuff to Diddy

Pieman0920

Smash Master
..They don't all have to be musical. There are plenty of valid FS that Diddy can also have.

In retrospect though, this best suited DK, especially with all the JB games. It just fits him more now. Diddy though can reprsent his own spin off series just a bit by using the plane. Heck your barrel idea could be used for him also. (I assume you trap the stage in a bunch of spinning barrels, which fire Diddy around like a cannon ball, damaging any character hit. )

Del Money

Smash Champion
Diddy though can reprsent his own spin off series just a bit by using the plane.
kinda pisses me off still that Diddy Kong Pilot (primary reason i bought a GBA outisde the false expectation that it would be able to support 3D graphics since it had a 32-bit engine like the PSX) never saw the light at the end of the tunnel (and got replaced with Banjo Pilot instead). but as for the plane idea, i would think the plane would have to move relatively quick (not as fast as say Capt. Falcon but fast enough).
Heck your barrel idea could be used for him also. (I assume you trap the stage in a bunch of spinning barrels, which fire Diddy around like a cannon ball, damaging any character hit. )
that was exactly what i thought of. is my mind that easy to read?

Del Money

Smash Champion
perhaps...but what would be a non-musical FS for Diddy/Dixie? (besides both of em shooting through barrels)

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
remember diddy's section in the DK rap? if the jetpack and popguns are separate moves, or one or both moves aren't used, he could fly in the air, spin in circles, and fire his peanut guns rapidly

EDIT: i actually wouldn't mind having diddy and dk having a music based final. i just want to see diddy jamming on his guitar

Del Money

Smash Champion
remember diddy's section in the DK rap? if the jetpack and popguns are separate moves, or one or both moves aren't used, he could fly in the air, spin in circles, and fire his peanut guns rapidly
thats actually pretty good but im looking for a Diddy/Dixie final smash that doesnt involve music and doesnt involves barrel-shooting

Del Money

Smash Champion
me neither...partly why im asking lol. i only played DKL2 for gameboy and thers no tagteaming in that

Top Bottom