• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong Appreciation Thread: From Dinky to Diddy, From the Jungle to the Brawl.

Talendime

Smash Ace
Diddy Kong= AT.
Thats what I wan't him to be, and that all I ever want him to be.

You really want Donkey Kong to be all by himself?

I think it's about time he got some backup.

Mario had 6 (if you include yoshi, who I don't think should have his/her own symbol) of his characters in Melee, Donkey Kong only had one.
That ain't right.

KernelColonel

Smash Journeyman
Plusel and Minun are the two that come to mind(and wish people would think of better pokemon choices)
Yeah, seriously, Pikachu is fine. Pichu is...acceptable. But Plusle and Minun, come on. No character had 3 clones. Seeing since all four of those Pokemon look almost exactly like eachother, there's a lot of creativity (and character room) being stifled simply if they're included.

(And don't say that Mario, Doc Mario, and Luigi were clones; Luigi is entirely separate)

The point being, of course, that Diddy and Dixie as a team would be the best option for a tag-team. I mean, I would not complain if the IC and Diddy and Dixie were the only two-tag teams in the game.

Diddy for Brawl.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Arnt I good at Math?

But I have heard a lot of peeople say "X character transforms like Sheik" or "Team like the IC". Plusel and Minun are the two that come to mind(and wish people would think of better pokemon choices)
Yes, but Diddy and Dixie actually teamed up in their own games. Neither the Ice Climbers or Plusle and Minun did that in game (2 vs 2 battles don't count, since even then Groudon and Kyogre could team up), while especially in DKC2 it was one of the biggest aspects.

Playable Diddy for Brawl! Like MetaKnight wouldn't be of better as an Assisst Throphy... <_<

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, I DO like MetaKnight. He deserves it to be a playable character too, just like Diddy but I feel Diddy's just even more deserving than him cause Kirby also has King DeDeDe. I didn't quite intended to hate on MetaKnight with that post, I just wanted to say that if Diddy would be an Assist Thropy, then MetaKnight should've also been one...

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
Diddy Kong= AT.
Thats what I wan't him to be, and that all I ever want him to be.
Just as long as you realize that'll never happen:p

Seriously though, people are throwing this AT thing around way too much. For some characters it's fine to suggest it, but it's come to the point that people are saying that even shoe in characters like Diddy, heck even DeDeDe, will be AT's. It's seriously getting out of hand.

And as for Meta-Knight, while I find him the least interesting newcomer, I think he's worth more than an AT spot.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Well, I DO like MetaKnight. He deserves it to be a playable character too, just like Diddy but I feel Diddy's just even more deserving than him cause Kirby also has King DeDeDe. I didn't quite intended to hate on MetaKnight with that post, I just wanted to say that if Diddy would be an Assist Thropy, then MetaKnight should've also been one...
you know, the kirby series is somewhat level with the DK series, character wise i mean.

well let me explain. kirby and dk have been by themselves since the original. now finally we get kirby's rival and sometimes sidekick. diddy can probably be considered a rival, but mostly a sidekick. then all the fans for both series want the main villian, K. Rool and Dedede.

i don't know i wanted there to be a point to this post, so i think it's the kirby franchise and the dk franchise are really underrepped and i hope more characters from each get in.

so yeah diddy for brawl (solo)

thefindingmoon

Smash Cadet
i think diddy and dixie should be a tag team but you can choose which one you are, the 2nd one would be for back up,and they have different move sets that can pan out to work together

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That's cause the TV show is rubbish... Much like the Zelda and Mario cartoons except worse.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
You really want Donkey Kong to be all by himself?

I think it's about time he got some backup.

Mario had 6 (if you include yoshi, who I don't think should have his/her own symbol) of his characters in Melee, Donkey Kong only had one.
That ain't right.
Well, if you want to play that card, you could technically consider Donkey Kong part of the Mario series as well. Sure, DK's solo career is a bit more established than Yoshi's, but he's still got just as much of a connection to Mario as the dino does. If not more.

But I still support Diddy for Brawl.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, if you want to play that card, you could technically consider Donkey Kong part of the Mario series as well. Sure, DK's solo career is a bit more established than Yoshi's, but he's still got just as much of a connection to Mario as the dino does. If not more.

But I still support Diddy for Brawl.
ARGH! >_<; Do I have to go through the same **** every day now at SWF?

Donkey Kong is a full seperate own franchise! Since the Rare era and the world famous game Donkey Kong Country, DK has set himself seperate from Mario competely. The game sets place on a whole different area than the constrution site, with new allies, enemies and locations all never seen before in a Mario game while in some part still staying true to some arcade elements (barrels and the climbing system in DKC2 for example).

And unlike Yoshi's Island who has very very clear relations to the Mario Universe, Donkey Kong Country had only one little Mario cameo meaning that DK's got a lot less of a connection to Mario nowadays than Yoshi. Yoshi's first game even had Mario IN IT for crying out loud, not even mentoining the Koopas, Goombas and Piranha Plants all inhabitating Yoshi's Island... >_>;

Besides, if anything Mario is a Donkey Kong character himself since the first game both characters stared in was even called after DONKEY KONG... So if anything, Mario should get a DK symbol which we all know he doesn't have but still... DK is a full edged own character and desperatly needs more representation.

Playable Diddy all the way~

VivaLaPuff

Smash Apprentice
Diddy would be a fantastic addition to the cast. I can see him being an unlocked character.
I also hope that King K Rool makes the cut.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Diddy would be a fantastic addition to the cast. I can see him being an unlocked character.
I also hope that King K Rool makes the cut.
Seeing that Sakurai called Bowser the biggest character, we are left with only Diddy.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, I've also got my doubts since DK matched Bowser's strenght, weight and size pretty well and seeing as K.Rool should be atleast harder to defeat than DK I don't think we're gonna see him in Brawl either... But Diddy's fine alone too. K.Rool would still make an awesome Assist Thropy...

NukeA6

Smash Master
that's not true. just because bowser is the biggest doesn't mean characters like K. Rool can't get in. maybe K. Rool is lighter than Bowser
I dunno. K. Rool always did look bigger and heavier than Bowser.

Not counting Bowser in Sunshine.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Well it's like this sort of in terms of size:

Bowser > Mario
K.Rool >DK
Bowser > or = DK (The Mario sports games proves that)

That means K.Rool will usually be bigger than Bowser

Of course Sunshine Bowser >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DK64 K.Rool as Final Boss

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
I don't think size would be an issue when it comes to K Rool. As long as he's big, I think it would work. If Smash Bros has taught us anything, it's that size is not a concern when it comes to character creation.

Besides, K. Rool would be an awesome, if somewhat more obscure, DK series character. Smash needs some more heavyweight characters.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
during E3 and recently on the smashbros. site, DK was officialy confirmed to be a fighter. and with that much detail going into our big monkey friend, it makes me wonder how much detail diddy will get when he's confirmed.

diddy for brawl

oh and D. Kong, they did it. they got DK to look all furry and stuff but he still retains his DK country and DK64 looks. joyful day huh?

choban08

Smash Cadet
ok ive read the first and second page, too many imbetween to read and yes i know im not a good speller but i am a nay sayer. i really dont think diddy kong will be a good character he seems just to normal all of his moves that you have described in the begining have just been stolen from other characters. there is nothing unique about diddy. simonian slam just a bowser bomb or liek yoshie's drop move. the chip charge is fox and folcos dash and his up b that you ahve described seems a lot like fire fox or pits new up b move so really i dont think he would make a good addition and we could do with out him

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
You shouldn't really judge a character on a fan based moveset. If you really think Sakurai and the devs can't create an interesting, unique and fun moveset for Diddy, then you obviously don't know him too well.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
ok ive read the first and second page, too many imbetween to read and yes i know im not a good speller but i am a nay sayer. i really dont think diddy kong will be a good character he seems just to normal all of his moves that you have described in the begining have just been stolen from other characters. there is nothing unique about diddy. simonian slam just a bowser bomb or liek yoshie's drop move. the chip charge is fox and folcos dash and his up b that you ahve described seems a lot like fire fox or pits new up b move so really i dont think he would make a good addition and we could do with out him
Hey guys, we sould not include Diddy for the sole reason that his special attacks might be similiar acting to other characters.

And let's ignore the fact that his A button moves could be unique. >_>

Also while we're at it, let's ditch Pit. His B move is similar to Link's B move. As a matter of fact a lot characters should be axed for the sole fact that their B move is a simple long range attack.

Also, let's get of characters who have a move that reflect said long range attacks. That's not unique.

Let's kick out swordsmen as well. We all know their down smash would be a sword sweep. It always is.

And instead of changing the clones' movesets, let's get rid of all of them. It'll be much better to get rid of them than to change

All in all the only character who will remain is......... Master Hand!

choban08

Smash Cadet
i do acually know did pretty well. i played all the gameboy games and donky kong 64 it just seems like there are better characters i personally like lanky kong much more than diddy and i think he is more unique.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
however, lanky has only established himself in one game, where diddy has been here since the early 1993-94 (can't remember).

sure lanky is unique, but he hasn't reached that potential yet. not like diddy. and honestly i think the moveset everyone has given him is unique and can really make playing as diddy fun.

choban08

Smash Cadet
ya that is acually a pretty good point that diddy is established, wich will most likly end up giving him the spot over any other kong (besides donky) but then you have to look at characters from ssbm. like i had never even heard of ice climbers, ness, marth, or roy wich leads me to believe that lanky being more unique gives him a beter chance of making the roster even though he isnt as established.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
ah i can point them out to you, showing their importance and how they established themselves-

Ice Climbers-sort of old school, like pit is for SSBB. no one knew them, but they were the first game on a home console to have 2-P support
Ness-was actually featured in the original ssb 64, and the leading character in Earthbound (Mother 2), which came out around then. Was going to be replaced in melee, but due to cancellation of the mother game for the 64, was left in
Marth and Roy-These guys came from Fire Emblem, a popular nintendo franchise since the NES in Japan only. no one knew them because no one except japan played their games. but they helped establish fire emblem internationally. however Roy was in there only for commercial purposes to sell the upcoming fire emblem game

so actually these characters did establish themselves like diddy has. i do see lanky as an AT, but not playable. the only choices for the DK series is Diddy Kong (solo or with dixie, i perfer solo) and K. Rool, both of which established themselves in the series as the sidekick and villian respectively

choban08

Smash Cadet
i see where your coming from with marth and roy having a fan base in japan and with the publicity but ness and ice climbers i dont see as established for being in one game (niether wich i have ever played) which leads me to believe that they also ahve a low fan base as well. however they did put ness and ice climbers in the game why? because they are diffrent ice climbers brings somethiong totaly difernt to the playing fied being able to be 2 characters at the same time and ness has many we'll just say odd moves which to me makes them also fun to play to me diddy just doesnt offer that much creativity.

Do you think you could give me some points on why he should be in the game other then because he is established and P.S. i like your descriptions on iceies ness marth/roy

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
well here's why.

1. One of the top requested characters not only on this thread, but on Sakurai's poll. Actually second to King Dedede with 4 points (if you don't know, Sakurai had a poll right after E3 2006, and he responded to a few character ideas from the japanese people. King Dedede had the most with 5, and Diddy, along with Geno, Ridley, and Ike had 4 responses)
2. The DK series has been very underrepped, and Diddy would be a likely choice for another rep
3. His moveset brings the wackiness that smash always brings while still being unique and representing his own moves in the DK games
4. He just plain rocks man

choban08

Smash Cadet
i really dont thikn that him being another rep really matters. every one knows of their series as it is if a game really needs repping they could probly throw in banjo/kazooie to help make their upcomeing launch more succesful like you said earlyer with marth/roy.

And honestly how many other side kicks are in the game besideds luigie, cuz to me thats what he really is and luigie has established himself much more than diddy i guess you could say nana is a side kick but i dont think that is arguable. So if oyu look at it from that prespective there might only be 2-3 side kicks in the game leaving diddy a lower chance to earn that spot on the roster

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
And honestly how many other side kicks are in the game besideds luigie, cuz to me thats what he really is and luigie has established himself much more than diddy i guess you could say nana is a side kick but i dont think that is arguable. So if oyu look at it from that prespective there might only be 2-3 side kicks in the game leaving diddy a lower chance to earn that spot on the roster
We already have three villains. What's a few more sidekicks.

i really dont thikn that him being another rep really matters. every one knows of their series as it is if a game really needs repping they could probly throw in banjo/kazooie to help make their upcomeing launch more succesful like you said earlyer with marth/roy.
DK is a huge franchise with many popular games, so one character (DK himself) would not really do justice. By that logic we should away all the Mario characters except Mario

Yet another poor reason for why Diddy can't be in. Just admit that he does deserve a spot and I will spare your head. lol :p

choban08

Smash Cadet
what kind of logic r u talking about. Mario is gigantic with many different characters used in many games where as the DK series only has 3 characters and 1 bad guy thats stupid to say just have mario when there are acually many main characters to the series. i mean come on how the hell could mario ever get around with out yoshi he's a huge part of the mario games just like bowser and peach who is always being saved, and playable in paper mario. like i said diddy is more of a side kick. Yes he does have a few of his own games but so does luigi who everybody knows is just a sidekick. and with only a few main characters why would they need more representation?

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
How is Diddy being a sidekick a disadvantage in any way? He's still far more important to the DK series than anyone else bar DK, the fact that he's a sidekick doesn't change that. And the DK series is big enough and popular enough to warrant another rep, and Diddy's clearly the best choice for the next rep.

Top Bottom