• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong Appreciation Thread: From Dinky to Diddy, From the Jungle to the Brawl.

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
Diddy should be the only playable DK character (other than DK) IMO...

He has been there the longest and is easily hte most popular... (dixie ftl)

THe others would make cool assists though...

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
I think that a Diddy/Dixie tagteam and (a little less likely) K. Rool are the only DK characters that have a shot. Diddy alone doesn't really have that "Whoa" factor for me. His suggested specials remind me of Fox's specials (Peanuts=laser, chimpy charge=fox illusion, jetpack=firefox) and his stat combination has already been done. He really offers nothing but fanservice (and that is where the AT comes in). For those characters that are popular, but really cannot provide anything new to the game. I think Samurai Goroh met this fate. Yes, he is a rival and probably the only other racer from Falcon's franchise worth getting in if one had too. But we have sword characters and more unique ones at that.
so far we have a sword and sheild fighter (link) and a rapier user (marth). goroh is a samurai, weilding a traditional katana. if you have ever played a fighting game with allot of weapon users like soul calibur 2 or the MK series, especially the recent ones, you would know that these three types of swordplay are so vastly different from each other its mind bottling. hell you probably already know this but are ignorant as to how it applies to this situation. comparing the three different characters is like comparing apples, oranges, and bananas, sure they are all fruits, but that is where the similarities end. so no, we don't have sword fighters more or less unique then that, just different. so in conclusion to this long rant about goroh and the injustice implimented upon him, don't mess with the samurai

oh and a tag team wouldn't play similar to, oh i don't know, ICE CLIMBERS!!!... and to put it in your own words we have tag-team characters and more unique ones at that

iMichael

Smash Lord
i can see Diddy Kong being in Brawl reason being is because DK is the only one who represents his game....Diddy Kong wouldnt be a clone either because Diddy could never match DK's strength

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Probarly just the regulair red color, I always liked that one the most. Maybe Diddy'll also have a purple outfit since it was basically his secundary color in Strikers Charged.

And yeah, Diddy'll never be a clone of anyone.

tshahi10

Smash Ace
i really dont agree with the moveset, and i dont see diddy appearing as a character in brawl. i dont think giving diddy a moveset is that easy and fitting, so he probably will appear as an assist trophies. true that he did appear on the nintendo franchise a great deal of times, but its really the moveset that is holding him down.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
uh...what the hell are you smoking. diddy is one of the EASIEST characters to come up with a moveset. he's appeared in enough games to grant him a decent moveset, let alone a GREAT one.

hell, look no further than DK64 for a great moveset

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
Diddy Kong move list:

B: peanut popguns- diddy pulls out his pistols and fires 3 shots. About as much damage as foxes pistol.
B>: chimpy charge- diddy charges up for 3 seconds, then runs across the stage, does about as much damage as yoshi’s egg roll and the enemy can get caught in the charge like with marril’s charge. Diddy will stop if he comes to an edge.
B^: Jetpack- diddy pull out his jetpack and flies in the direction you point him, goes about as far as foxes b^ except slower, with no lag at the beginning, and direction can be controlled while moving. Can be knocked off of jetpack.
Bv: Banana peel- diddy pulls out a giant banana peel like in MK: double dash, works similar to peach’s turnip move except enemies will slide uncontrollably across stage as if they were on ice.

Super Move: electric guitar- diddy gets out his electric guitar and plays a massive riff, shooting musical notes everywhere, works similar to the unown poke ball except in all directions and causes decent knock back.

AAA combo- the tailspin combo move from DK64, except faster
Dash A- the cartwheel move from DKC
Smash A- diddy elbows you
Ariel A- diddy does a cannon ball and spins in the air with his tail doing damage, the tip of which does the most damage.
Up smash- diddy does a back flip, his feet doing the most damage.
Ariel back A- like sheiks but with both feet and less damage.
Arial down A- like DK’s but less damage

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
uh...what the hell are you smoking. diddy is one of the EASIEST characters to come up with a moveset. he's appeared in enough games to grant him a decent moveset, let alone a GREAT one.

hell, look no further than DK64 for a great moveset
To be honest, a few moments ago I was smoking weed and even now I can see Diddy being playable in Brawl... Even my lil' brother -7 years old- always used to ask where the **** Diddy was in Melee, ignorance is a *****.

And what's this with the Diddy's not fitting thing? You think Yoshi for example completely fits in?? Not to mention, Zelda, Pichu, Peach also don't really belong to a fighting game, so whats not to fit with Diddy??

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
i really dont agree with the moveset, and i dont see diddy appearing as a character in brawl. i dont think giving diddy a moveset is that easy and fitting, so he probably will appear as an assist trophies. true that he did appear on the nintendo franchise a great deal of times, but its really the moveset that is holding him down.
Captain Falcon was always in his car. Good thing he was never playable in Smash

OH WAIT!

Sandy

Smash Champion
The duo of chimps could help replace the Ice Climbers (which seems likely at this point, sadly) and act as a dual-character, using each other as weapons and all manner of crazy business. Another dual-character would be a great addition to the game, and these Kongs would be the perfect fit.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I'm right on board with you guys, but I wouldn't mind if diddy and dixie kong were Ice Climber style characters. The only difference would be that you can actually switch out between them.

I'm really late to the party for this thread (and I haven't read all of it), but I love this idea. I actually had the idea myself years ago (about the time this post was written), and submitted it as an idea to Sakurai back when they were taking fan suggestions for Brawl. I think it would be a wonderful idea - kinda making them a mix of IC and Zelda/Sheik, all while making a nice nod to DKC2

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm actually fine with both as I explained a lot of times... Just gimme a playable Diddy and I'm happy.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
i wouldn't want a diddy-dixie combo, mainly because diddy deserves his own slot, and he would be more fun if he didn't have a monkey on his back the whole time

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
i wouldn't want a diddy-dixie combo, mainly because diddy deserves his own slot, and he would be more fun if he didn't have a monkey on his back the whole time
Badum-Tisshhh!

But yeah, Diddy is fine for a solo character.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No Dixie shouldn't be on Diddy's back but rather follow Diddy all the time like the Ice Climbers. Bowserlick had this idea of making Dixie more sort of an "item" or extension of Diddy, meaning that Dixie would always follow Diddy and the two couldn't get seperated like the Ice Climbers can.

But yeah, playable Diddy for Brawl. The Assisst Throphies couldn't resist Diddy's awesomness anyways.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I think that having another IC-style character (or duo) would depreciate their originality. I would prefer Diddy as a PC and Dixie as an AT, but I would also be quite happy with a singularly-controlled duo as Bowserlick suggested. Yayyy for Diddy! =)

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I think that having another IC-style character (or duo) would depreciate their originality. I would prefer Diddy as a PC and Dixie as an AT, but I would also be quite happy with a singularly-controlled duo as Bowserlick suggested. Yayyy for Diddy! =)

No, because a Diddy/Dixie team would allow you to switch between them, and they'd each have very different stats and moves, ala Zelda and Sheik. So they would be sufficiently different from the IC.

skullkidd

Smash Ace
That duo wouldn't work.
That's like Siamese monkey twins.
There would be no point in a duo anyway if they can't seperate, it's like molding them into one character.

Diddy deserves to have his own slot, and Dixie may even be able to have her own as well.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
That duo wouldn't work.
That's like Siamese monkey twins.
There would be no point in a duo anyway if they can't seperate, it's like molding them into one character.

Diddy deserves to have his own slot, and Dixie may even be able to have her own as well.
I see no reason why it wouldn't work. The IC work just fine.

Talendime

Smash Ace
I think it's just because they were so tight in Diddy's Kong Quest. They were almost identical in terms of speed, agility, and size, with Diddy being a little quicker and Dixie being able to float. Not to mention the fact that they are an actual love couple.
The Donkey Kong series is all about the partnership. Every character had a partner, and better Diddy/Dixie than Donkey/Diddy.
I would love to see both, just as long as one didn't hold the other back. In fact, I'd rather see them both under one character slot rather than separate, because then it would look exactly the way it did in the SNES games- with one always right behind the other.
And their final smash could then easily be a musical concoction.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
they might have been partnered in that one game, but its been forever since they've partnered up, and while dixie hasn't done much, diddy has done allot of interesting things which define his character and make it much better if he flies solo. if you want a monkey team that bad then why don't you partner up dixie and that monkey from DKC3

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
But wait, since Sheik almost deffinatly won't return (not as a Zelda transformation atleast, she'd make an awesome Assisst Thropy) Diddy and Dixie could be the new Zelda/Sheik like character since Samus/Zero Suit Samus will likely not be able to switch during the fight itself.

It would be pretty simple, it'd be similair to Bowserlick's idea, except the attacks rarely will link into each other but the Kongs would still attack at the same time. So like if Diddy would do a cartwheel, Dixie would follow him with her hair spin move but the enemy character would only get hit by Diddy's move, that way Diddy wouldn't look like a weakass who'd get overpowered by a mere Pikachu when he'd fight solo. Their B moves would still feature both Kongs though. When they switch, the other Kong's move will get priority but the B moves will still be the same.

With that, we'd have both Diddy and Dixie in the game while Diddy still sorta fights solo. Both parties would be happy and Diddy would still be a very unique character. Infact, I'm so fond of my own idea that I'd now rather have Diddy and Dixie as a duo than a solo Diddy! =) Still, I couldn't care less how Diddy will make it, Top Tier or Bottom Tier, solo or duo I'd main him and DK anyways so I'm completly fine either way - but seeing him as an Assisst Thropy I'll seriously scream... probarly very loud...

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I think it's just because they were so tight in Diddy's Kong Quest. They were almost identical in terms of speed, agility, and size, with Diddy being a little quicker and Dixie being able to float. Not to mention the fact that they are an actual love couple.
The Donkey Kong series is all about the partnership. Every character had a partner, and better Diddy/Dixie than Donkey/Diddy.
I would love to see both, just as long as one didn't hold the other back. In fact, I'd rather see them both under one character slot rather than separate, because then it would look exactly the way it did in the SNES games- with one always right behind the other.
And their final smash could then easily be a musical concoction.
This guy knows what he's talking about.

And where the heck is everyone getting these ideas that Sheik is not coming back? That would be absolute madness. Anyone who thinks that Sheik will not return as Zelda's alterego is insane.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
or we can put deoxys in who has 4 transformations and leave diddy a solo player and make dixie an AT
2 Donkey Kong characters in one > Mewtwo > 4 different forms of the same Pokémon.

DK needs the representation more, Pokémon can do fine without Deoxys.

This guy knows what he's talking about.

And where the heck is everyone getting these ideas that Sheik is not coming back? That would be absolute madness. Anyone who thinks that Sheik will not return as Zelda's alterego is insane.
Well, Zelda is now confirmed to be based of Twilight Princess. TP had no Sheik, and Sheik's role in OoT wasn't that big in the first place. Also; Zero Suit Samus.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Sheik IS Zelda...It's just a costume she didn't put on in TP. *sigh*...

(Sorry for being off topic)

Top Bottom