• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong Appreciation Thread: From Dinky to Diddy, From the Jungle to the Brawl.

Falco-Z

Smash Apprentice
Diddy is probably my favorite Kong.
He has a great resume and should be in Brawl.
Funny thing is, he wasn't even on a trophy in Melee, while King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, and DK Jr. were...
Still I would think that he is more popular than DK JR. right??

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Diddy is probably my favorite Kong.
He has a great resume and should be in Brawl.
Funny thing is, he wasn't even on a trophy in Melee, while King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, and DK Jr. were...
Still I would think that he is more popular than DK JR. right??
diddy is cooler than DK in my opinion. and xianfeng already pointed out the trophy situation.

and to xianfeng, how close am i to being a super diddy fan?

EDIT: i rated this thread, gave it a 5 for having the most support for any other character out there.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
diddy is cooler than DK in my opinion. and xianfeng already pointed out the trophy situation.

and to xianfeng, how close am i to being a super diddy fan?

EDIT: i rated this thread, gave it a 5 for having the most support for any other character out there.
I just bumped you up then.

Grmo

Smash Champion
Plymouth Rock, eating Thanksgiving dinner
Diddy is not only the second most popular, he is the second character. Anyway, way to go for thinking of this. You put alot of effort into the first post too. I think Diddy in Smash would be great, and the moveset you supplied looks very agreeable minus the smash B. Diddy for SSBB!

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
No one should be revealed BEFORE Diddy. The only two who are more deserving than Diddy already made it in (MetaKnight & Wario)

burrito

Smash Lord
Diddy's game Appearances
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3 (NPC)
Donkey Kong Land
Donkey Kong Land 2
Donkey Kong Land 3 (NPC)
Donkey Kong 64
Donkey Konga
Donkey Konga 2
Donkey Konga 3
DK: King of Swing
Diddy Kong Racing
Mario Power Tennis
Mario Golf Toadstool Tour
Mario Kart Double Dash
Mario Kart GP (NPC)

Future Appearances
Mario Hoops 3 on 3
King of Swing DS
Diddy Kong Racing DS
DK: Bongo Blast
You forgot Mario Superstar Baseball.

I think that Diddy Kong would be a cool character, but I wouldn't be dissapointed if he wasn't in it or anything.

The Franchise

Smash Journeyman
Diddy Kong is proabily one of the few character selelctions that I would be somewhat upset about if he doesn't make it. I loved that little chimp ever since Diddy Kong Racing. He just makes sense for so many reasons. He has the popularity, the idea for moves, and one very long and surprising list for the number of games he is in.

SMB PORTAL

Smash Ace
Here we go...

Let's start with popularity. It seems as though Diddy Kong is a popularity just looking at the amount of pages in this topic). Diddy kong is a popular character from the series that we all know and love. I would love the idea to see him in there, and many people want to because he is a popular character, and a fun character at that.

Now, take a look at the amount of Donkey Kong characters in the game, and it resolves in 1. For such a popular franchise, I would love to see another one come into the series, and bring something new to the game because Diddy dosen't look like he will be a clone. This is a great way to make the franchise larger, and bring it to newer hights. He has stared in a variety of games, and has a cool personality, and may add something we would love to the game.

As for a mental picture, I can actually see him making it into the game, and I think I could see him fighting. From that, movesets are created, and the character comes to jubilant life. Soon, we think of a character who will probably be great for the game, and then we think about how he will seperate himself from DK. But, he really can be much different from DK and establish himself as a unique character. It's like Zelda and Sheik, i am not suggesting they should be together, but they are the same person (Not suggesting that DK and Diddy are) and they have been completely different characters. So, I think the oppuirtunities are open for this character, and i hope Diddy make the cut for Brawl.

-SMB

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Again, all Nintendo has to do is not disresepct DKC. Miyamoto said people only liked DKC was because of its graphics.

I just hope Sora isn't as dense

Falco-Z

Smash Apprentice
Face it, this is a discussion only to talk about how cool he is and what moves he would have... as he is sure to be in Brawl, with his 5 votes on the Super Smash.com poll... along with all of his Western fan support.

icymatt

Smash Lord
Again, all Nintendo has to do is not disresepct DKC. Miyamoto said people only liked DKC was because of its graphics.

Well, they did, sorta. They are fun, but not spectacular, especially compared to...say...Yoshi's Island.

Still: Monkey Monkey Monkey Monkey Monkey Monkey Monkey Monkey Monkey Monkey Monkey Monkey Monkey Monkey.

Here's the Diddy moveset I invented:

Stats:
Power-Low
Jump-Mid
Speed-High
Size-Low
Weight-Low

B=Chimpy Charge -Hold B and release for a forward smashing attack(Similar to Pikachu's skull bash, but he doesn't fly)
<>B=Spinning Kong -Pretty much the same as the Mario/Luigi tornado attacks.
/\B=Rocket-Barrel Boost -Diddy straps on his jetpack and flies upward.
\/B=Simian Handstand -Diddy does a handstand. While in this position, press left or right to perform an incredibly quick evasion in that direction that can also bowl opponents over.
Super: Diddy attacks with his rockin' guitar skillz, sending any nearby opponent flying.

Super_Cool

Smash Journeyman

Miyamoto later apologized for that statement since he was just pissed that Nintendo wanted Super Mario World to be more like DKC or something like that.

icymatt

Smash Lord
Miyamoto later apologized for that statement since he was just pissed that Nintendo wanted Super Mario World to be more like DKC or something like that.
Yes, Yoshi's island was originally set to look more traditional, but after DKC, Nintendo told Miyamoto that the game should look more like that.

He then gave YI the pastel look, which makes it one of the visually greatest 2D platformers ever. So, I guess DKC did help it out.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
see, diddy had influence in a mario game. yay diddy!

but icymatt, even though you tried, xianfeng and diddy kong's moveset is better. i am not saying you should of put more detail in it, but the moves didn't fit diddy.

his peanut guns should be his b, his b forward should be chimpy charge, up b is jet pack which you said, and his down b should be a ground pound. but yay MONKEYS!!

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
Down with Diddy there are better characters and he'll never make top tier. He would be lucky to make low tier. Just say no to Diddy Kong.

icymatt

Smash Lord
Then who is good? Really, I think I've only seen you complain in every thread.

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
No really there is site zombie found that let's you "marry" Smash charcters and Zeldaonly has about ten so zombie thought they he would help her out and I don't want Diddy because he is unimportant.

icymatt

Smash Lord
He's one of the major characters of the Donkey Kong Country series, and has appeared in several Mario series titles. He just as important as many characters already in the game.

Seriously, who DO YOU WANT?

zombie7775

Smash Lord
No really there is site zombie found that let's you "marry" Smash charcters and Zeldaonly has about ten so zombie thought they he would help her out and I don't want Diddy because he is unimportant.
No im not marrying Zelda and the only reason as of now I can think of is Diddy looks weird and Ive never liked that series. As for who do I want it would be Zero the most Lyn, Ike, Hector some others.

Rabiteman

Smash Cadet
A little over here, a little over there, and maybe
Diddy is way better than Donkey, period. What with his jetpack, and peanut pistols, and he is my favorite in Mariokart DD. Giant bananas! In a lightweight kart!

Yeah, Diddy would be cool in there if just for the levels that could come with him. Wouldn't it be awesome to fight in the rigging of a ship while it was raining, not to mention the awesome music! Or, in the brambles and there would be the damaging floors with like... those one kremlings wearing the parkas that throw the hooks around. Ah yeah, that would be awesome.

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
No im not marrying Zelda and the only reason as of now I can think of is Diddy looks weird and Ive never liked that series. As for who do I want it would be Zero the most Lyn, Ike, Hector some others.
Don't lie you are somarrying Zeldaand he was ok in DonkeyKong 64.However the Donkey Kong Country series is old and more recent games have a better shot and the minor role in Mario's sports spinoffs don't count.I would like to see Zero, Lynn, Hector, Krystal, and Ike if you must know, but mostly Zero. The X version notthe MMZ version.

icymatt

Smash Lord
Kid Icarus is far older than any Donkey Kong Country game. So...do you not like Pit, then?

zombie7775

Smash Lord
Pit wasnt in that great of a game so no I dont like Pit but hes in so Ill just see how he fights.

icymatt

Smash Lord
Hmmmmm...you both clearly don't get the point of Smash Bros. Your opinions are now null to me...and probably to everyone else, too.

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
We really don't care they are just opinions after all aren't they everyone can have their own right? So I'm entitled to not want Diddy that is my right and your entitled to wanthim and that is yours. I am not trying to convince you to hate Diddy nor anyone else I was just voicing my opinion.

zombie7775

Smash Lord
We can have our opinions if Diddy gets in its not my choice but at least he isnt from 1 game that is really old.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Hmmmmm...you both clearly don't get the point of Smash Bros. Your opinions are now null to me...and probably to everyone else, too.
Ignore them and they'll go away.

Anyway, I like DK JR more than Diddy, but diddy is FAR more deserving than DK JR. Diddy was also in "Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest", tied with DK JR for my favorite DK game ever. DIDDY FOR BRAWL!

icymatt

Smash Lord
Good. Now, since you have nothing to contribute here, go to whatever thread actually interests you and post there. Cuts down on unnecessary flame wars. Everyone's happy. The end.

Now, back to your regularily scheduled 'Diddy is awesome!'

zombie7775

Smash Lord
Also still here. If Diddy makes it then he will probably end up about as good as Pikachu. They are similar in speed, strength, and weight. And dont say they arnt because they are.

Top Bottom