• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy+: Here come the nanners..

scrubadub

Smash Rookie
I am by no means an expert, but I noticed there was no thread for this guy and you gotta start somewhere. So here goes nothing:

Changes in B+:
-increased shieldstun makes his dash attack even better and it was already really good. Still a great pressuring move, even safer than before (less likely to get shield grabbed).
-increased hit stun greatly increases his combo and banana game.
-Much harder to ledge-grab with up-B. Still can, but the margin of error is very small. Remember than you have to be descending when you reach the ledge!
-no more SH double bair (I haven't verified this)
-no stale moves makes killing a bit easier. and can combo into finishers.
-Dair more useful onstage due to ALR. Can pop them up for juggling. Can't comment on how easy it is to land though.

Similarities to vB:
-still has a lack of kill options, but no stale move and easier combos alleviates this a lot
-bananas and glide tossing are still a huge part of his game
-great vertical air speed, might be even better in B+. Bad horizontal air speed, but momentum code alleviates this to some extent.

Overall, Diddy is a character that by his original design benefits A LOT from the physics changes in B+. The only thing that hurt him was the ledge changes. Still, up-B is still a great recovery move, it just requires a lot more accuracy to use. I would recommend practicing the different charge times and trajectories and going from there. His weakness is that he still doesn't have strong kill option, but it is not as apparent as in vBrawl. He can now rack up damage even better and combo into his finishers that are not stale.

Here is a recent vid of Diddy (4.1 codeset) where he is just running circles around Gannon though Gannon is far from the fastest char:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKNnfkApIj8&feature=channel_page

While there is a bunch of fooling around, it kinda shows some of Diddy's combo potential and how the physics affect his game. I noticed that there aren't a lot of diddy vids out there, so get a move on you Diddy players!

Adetque

Smash Apprentice
Something I noticed: Diddy can infinite with his dash attack. It's like the infinites in melee though; not humanly possible to keep up, especially of the other guy DIs.

Something else I noticed: He is amazing. He just combos really well. Dash attack combos into pretty much anything, and his up-tilt combos into any aerial, or another up-tilt at low %'s. His main problem is that once he's offstage, it's extremely hard to get back on.

Also, I love his dash attack to spike, which is extremely easy to perform in B+.

Adetque

Smash Apprentice
im pretty sure they test for infinites to make sure there are none
This one doesn't really matter though, it's not humanly possible to keep up for an efficient amount of time, especially if they DI.

EDIT: lol just noticed I said the same exact thing as in the first post...

Revven

FrankerZ
Finally, someone who sees eye to eye with me! (referring to Philly) It's also crazy that Diddy can do Uthrow > Dair at any percent on some characters. X_X

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Honestly I fail to see any problem with Diddy's recovery.

The only time I get gimped with Diddy's recovery is if I'm playing gimp characters (like Meta Knight and Sheik) or completely at my own fault and miss the sweetspot.

It just takes a little thought put into it. When I first started to mess with Diddy my natural tendency was to get as close as possible to the stage before using the barrel rockets. That left Diddy wide open for any character to attack me and knock me out of my barrels.

Now I recover much further out if I know I can't get the ledge with a monkey flip + double jump. By doing that, the only characters who can actually come out to attack me are those who actually have good gimp games. It also gives me much more freedom to vary where I'm aiming too.

If you just keep unpredictable with where you are aiming then it's hard for anyone besides the fastest characters to hit you at the end of the Up B. Just switchup going for the sweetspot and different parts of the stage. Diddy can cover a lot of distance so you are doing no harm by recovering too far out for your opponent to hit you.

Recovery rant out of the way... Diddy is a monster.
Even without his nanners he would be an above average character. He has such an insane combo game with no nanners. When he has nanners in hand it goes from insane to absolutely ridiculous. He would be so borked if he could actually kill at reasonable percents... but it's offset by the fact he can combo into kill moves at like any percents. Against some characters he doesn't even need bananas to combo into kill moves which is scary.

And dribbling is too good :p

5ive

Smash Champion

phate

Smash Apprentice
@5ive

Right hur. But I think most Diddy mains would be content with normal Brawl considering he is a great character who is fun to play and can actually combo. I am gonna start playing brawl+ though.

His recovery takes a bit of mastery, but its not bad at all.

Adetque

Smash Apprentice
@5ive

Right hur. But I think most Diddy mains would be content with normal Brawl considering he is a great character who is fun to play and can actually combo. I am gonna start playing brawl+ though.

His recovery takes a bit of mastery, but its not bad at all.
I'm in no way content with the camp-chaingrab-metaknight metagame of Brawl lol. Diddy is also 10x more fun to play in B+ than in Brawl imo.

Also his recovery isn't that bad. It's just if you get hit you're pretty much dead.

TreK

Is "that guy"
was the guy in the op's video using DJC or the glide toss is longer ?
looked normal in hive's vid.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
It's because momentum capture should add an extra boost if you do DJC, as momentum is now kept from your jump, which you canceled for the slide.

If it was glide toss though, idk.

kirox777

Smash Apprentice
im working on diddy, im trying to hopefully fix his recovery. if i cant its because i dont have the time, and i need someone to do it for me

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Recovering with Diddy, now, it's much better to just flip kick and let momentum carry you towards the ledge, then jump back on or at the ledge (since ******* NASL change negates his ability to ledgegrab during karate fall :<) than using your jump + upB early.

His recovery isn't that bad really. Depend on sideB more than anything else.

I still think he needs the **** glitch fixed, especially with the hitlag cancel gone.

kirox777

Smash Apprentice
i use the forward b to recover alot and i know its a good way to recover but look at it at the other point of view. what if u were versing diddy and he tried to recover you can easily kill him off stage when he uses his forwardB. so to avoid being hit you will use your up B which kinds sucks. charging it and waiting for it to aim toward the ledge is a pain and is wide open to get attacked. not only that, he has quite a while to wait before using his up b after getting his jet packs knocked off. pretty much all other characters can up B immediatly after they get hit in the recovering animation. NOT ONLY THAT, but when you aim it improperly he blows up at the ledge. when diddy is under the stage he is pretty much screwed, unlike in vBrawl when you just need to learn how to angle it right and he can snap to the ledge from anywhere!

thats why diddys up B is so bad. i thought it would be a good idea to have diddy's upB have a similar "upB animation cancel" like kingDDD's down button when he recovers. diddy can have a button (down) so it just automatically puts him in free fall state while he is using his upB. so while he is soaring through the air if some one is in his way he hits them but when he approaches the ledge you press down so he doesnt blow up. it would be a good idea to make it so he can only press Down after all the explosion is finished. im pretty sure it will work but i cant try it atm.

also Vanz, that CF clip was hilarious :laugh:

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
From experience, I'd say using sideB is definitely what you NEED to use to recover. Using flip kick is much less punishable than it seems. UpB has **** priority and, if you're hit out, you're screwed.

SideB flip kick has priority over almost everything, and, most importantly, maintains momentum AFTER the kick (meaning you can glide towards the stage at full speed). Also just as important is the ability to jump (and airdodge) after it. He also keeps sideB upB and any remaining jumps when he's hit. :p

Most of the time, flip kick back, just avoid jumping until you're close enough to use it without risk, and even more with his upB, which is his last resort. -_-

More sideB tricksies, dunno if it applies to vBrawl, but doing it onstage is ****. If you flip kick early enough into sideB you can cancel just before you hit the ground, making it even harder to punish. >:3

Top Bottom