• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DGames Summer Mafia Bash - Day 2 Begins. Deadline Day 2 begins - Deadline 8:00 A.M. CST Monday 6/24

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
Yuhooooooo JeXs! What a gnarly little blast from the past man! I remember toastin the walrus and your eyes would always get super chinked out! And then I realized "Wait a minute man, he hasn't even been toasting, why are his eyes so chinky?!" And then it hit me! Oh man good times brother, good times. :) Can you do me a solid and skip the part where, like, I have to convince you that Ran is a ****in narc and just push that man into the gallows like the fascist elitist that he clearly is?

:201w::201e::201e::201d:

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Meta speaking, no. I think I have only seen plenty of Gorf town games, and only a few of his scum games.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
The first question, about Gorf's sarcasm. I want to know why you posted that.
When Gorf was talking about going for a no lynch, and I knew he was joking, I just started thinking about it being a rookie play. Granted, I know that Gorf is a good player, despite marshy referring to him with a negative (?) conversation in the pregame, I was just thinking to my rookie plays, in which I did the same exact thing.

I'd say your goal as town should not to be to appear blatantly town, but to look for scum.
I agree, it should usually. The thing is, I have always just thrown my reads out in the open without really pushing on them (or pushing on the incorrect reads). My reads are like 99% wrong--

Do you tend to not be very confident with your reads?
Oh wait you beat me to the punch. No, I am not confident with my reads. Kary can confirm, as this was the biggest, daresay only reason why we hydra'd.
We still have an hour before the votes are finalized, anybody want to do anything? @#HBC | Kary , could you teach me how to make reads because I obviously don't know how, i.e. this game and last game.

JeXs

Smash Champion
Yuhooooooo JeXs! What a gnarly little blast from the past man! I remember toastin the walrus and your eyes would always get super chinked out! And then I realized "Wait a minute man, he hasn't even been toasting, why are his eyes so chinky?!" And then it hit me! Oh man good times brother, good times. :) Can you do me a solid and skip the part where, like, I have to convince you that Ran is a ****in narc and just push that man into the gallows like the fascist elitist that he clearly is?

:201w::201e::201e::201d:
You'd have to convince me on that, I have Ran as null for now. I tend to get a better read on Ran as the game goes on.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Jex, I'm curious why you wanted to know my thoughts on Gorf when you town lean him.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Also, I find Uto's response fair. I voted you to see how you'd react, because you are a new player I have not played with and are new. It's a tactic I like to employ in the early game regardless of alignment.

I have no strong pings at the moment so I'll proxy marshy for now: Unvote Vote: Mac

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hmm, as I was talking with Kary in the previous game, my biggest thing is that I whenever I see something out of the ordinary, I would investigate, which is fine, but usually my interpretation of "out of the ordinary" is wrong in the end. "Oh, player A is trying to help town? Hm, looks like player A is scum trying to look like town by helping town, just to kill us later." "Player B is completely innocent? Well maybe that's just what Player B wants you to think." I advise you all to not look too far into my train of thought, as it's usually plummeting off of a bridge.

I mean, my goal as town is to make myself appear blatantly town to help town, and my goal as scum is to appear "blatantly town" to backstab town. I know that me saying this makes myself seem super suspicious, given that I try to make my scum game as close as possible to my town game, but I would be lying if I said that my goal as scum is to be the D1 lynch, if I was scum. Originally, my goal in the game, regardless if I was scum or town, was to survive for as long as possible, resorting only to self-preservation. It was a terrible mindset, especially as town trying to outlast the other townies. I dropped that mentality in the previous game, and am now committed to helping town from then forward.
Self posts about your own play style always strike me as scummy. It’s like you’re setting yourself up for wifoming yourself.

Plus I don’t really enjoy bringing other games in a current game as “evidence”

That’s almost the same amount of argumentation of “I’m NEVER mafia in other games, thus I’m not mafia now.”

I prefer looking at each game clean slate.

I’m phone posting with bad internet until the 12, fyi.

Also interested in the “bi

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
What's poppin gamers

Vote Ranmaru

Did Ryker dayvig Kevin yet?

#HBC | Gorf

(I would actually love to hear this. If you do, we can be on good terms, and if it comes down to it, I will "do a sticky walrus" if need be.)

This is a song I wrote about why getting rid of that ****in narc before he gets a chance to totally dupe us is important. :)

Peace and love, down with the fascist regime! FREEDOM!

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Self posts about your own play style always strike me as scummy. It’s like you’re setting yourself up for wifoming yourself.

Hello Pythag, I don't believe I have actually played with you before!

I also heavily dislike using past games as an argument for actions in future games, but it would have been equally scummy if I withheld JeXs's question by refusing to answer. I wanted to say something like "this content doesn't affect this game" because there are players who believe it does. So instead, I resorted to

so that you all know kind of how I play to make up for lost time.
This clearly states that the information doesn't pertain to this game, but rather how I have played prior, because it is really easy to view me as the odd one out as the one nobody really knows. Therefore, I'm trying to be transparent. For you all, it is better the devil you know than the devil you don't. And no, this doesn't mean I'm a "devil scum".

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
My post got cut?

Interested in the big post from Kary, at least if it has more reasoning for his vote.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
I think that is everything pertaining to me. I feel like this was a successful QnA. Hopefully there is actually stuff to analyze and get reads off of when I wake up in the morning. That should be everything from me, peace

#HBC | Gorf #HBC | Gorf , the song was absolutely beautiful. I'm sorry I was annoyed at you previously, you seem a lot more chilled out now. Walrus can do some amazing things, it appears.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
SOME REMINDERS FOR THE TOWN

if you rolled a power role, itd b prudent to breadcrumb a result in an underhanded way in the event that you die before you get to claim. this is especially important for cop tracker and joat. if youre confident that youre going to live you might b able to get away without doing it. but i figured id throw out the suggestion cuz with 4 scum role hunting and with some of us being out of practice its easy to forget some **** like that. it would suck for the tracker/joat/cop to die with a result n then they cant even share the ****
I'm breadcrumbing cop

#HBC | Gorf

That’s almost the same amount of argumentation of “I’m NEVER mafia in other games, thus I’m not mafia now.”

Like, alright man, but like in this context do you really feel like Poyzin's using that to posture himself as a flower child? He was being kind of forced to talk about his play, and like, for someone in their third game ever it's pretty reasonable that they don't know the ropes brother. Outside of that though, what's your read on the rest of Poyzin's play?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I actually want to see the rest of your post, Pythag.

#HBC | Gorf

#HBC | Gorf #HBC | Gorf , the song was absolutely beautiful. I'm sorry I was annoyed at you previously, you seem a lot more chilled out now. Walrus can do some amazing things, it appears.
It's just peace and love brother. :) I know the judgmental nature of man and I can vibe with that as long as man's willing to tear down their walls and hear me for the person I really am. Much love brother, much love.

TOAST THE STICKY STINKY WALRUS!

JeXs

Smash Champion
Jex, I'm curious why you wanted to know my thoughts on Gorf when you town lean him.
Just to get a feel for you and where your head is at. I wanted to get a gauge for you and see if you felt the same I did from Gorf.

#HBC | Gorf

Just to get a feel for you and where your head is at. I wanted to get a gauge for you and see if you felt the same I did from Gorf.
When you spend 48 hours straight at Woodstock '69 like me back in the day, you won't be the only one feeling Gorf if you know what I mean!

#HBC | Gorf

so can we take a moment to talk **** about EE because's washed up
EE is a freakin' soul brother man, I can never say a bad word about that man. :) He might not be actively chillin' and vibin', but he'll always be chillin' and vibin' in my freakin heart dude!

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Why is this relevant, why post this?

Is this a serious vote? Who told you to watch out for Gorf, and why are you listening to them? Are they in this game, and if so, what do you think of them?

Finally, why didn't you respond or react to my vote on you?
yikes

how do you expect to form a read on anything UP could possibly answer here?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
it looks like he finished his post to me. so this looks fake
No. I actually have a question for him but it depends on that. Otherwise I wouldn't have posted that. (He said his post cut off)

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer

I’m phone posting with bad internet until the 12, fyi.

Also interested in the “bi
My post got cut?

Interested in the big post from Kary, at least if it has more reasoning for his vote.
limed for truth. it looks like you're wrong

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I honestly don't believe that a baseless vote, especially one where I had yet to even make a post in the thread, deserves any response. You didn't provide any reasoning, so I assume it your vote was just to apply pressure for me to respond to it, perhaps get me to crack under pressure. None of the players have yet to **** anything up, so don't think any posts made thus far have any substance in terms of making a player lynch worthy.
I can't believe I'm already reading UP as town so soon

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Hi everyone! I haven't played in a long time, I feel like I've forgotten how to play mafia.

What do you mean by your playstyle is eccentric? How do you think your playstyle would differ as town and scum?
Ran, you posted on your alt by accident

#HBC | Gorf

No. I actually have a question for him but it depends on that. Otherwise I wouldn't have posted that. (He said his post cut off)
Yea, and in that same post he totally finished the post. It's totally weird that your interest lies there but like you didn't even realize that.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Man, you're hbc, you're supposed to come at my ***, not this weak fos.

#holding back crew
lol. i like the chutzpah

i basically said that investigatives should crumb and that vanillas should try not to out themselves (via perspective slip, cuz its easy for an absentminded vanilla townie to wrongly speculate on potential setups as roles start to flip) in an effort to curtail mafia narrowing down power roles. ive seen stuff like that as scum rolehunting so i wanted to nudge townies not to do it here

both of these ideas are basic advice. i just said it cuz 1) its very easy to play this game without being thoughtful in how you present yourself and thus out not having certain knowledge of the setup. for example mafia can b like 'oh player x thinks we are in setup d3 but if he was power role y he wouldnt be considering that. hes probably a vt, cool our power role hunt is easier' and 2) a lot of us havent played in a while so i was trying to get people cognizant of that

i found it hard to believe that you read the post and came away with the conclusion that you did in good faith. like you specifically scanned thru my post looking for a way to shade it instead of just taking it for the straightforward advice that it is. i didnt expect much conversation to b based around it and encouraged the town not to dwell on it, but you took the opposite approach. you are the only person to have come against it in such a manner and that reminds me of scum looking for a latching point to sling mud on a townie versus the towny reaction of reading it and moving on. which is what most people did; im finding your reaction to b an outlier in a scummy way

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Actually now that I see it again, I can see what you mean. I'll take that back. I thought there was much more to it.

My reason for saying that: Pythag mentioned he finds self meta as scummy, but he doesn't give a stance on Uto nor a vote. So he's scum because he wants to point out negative things on Uto but doesn't really push for him or anything.

Unvote; Vote: Pythag

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Alright, thanks! I'll check out that game later on when I don't feel horrid. I'd say your goal as town should not to be to appear blatantly town, but to look for scum. Do you tend to not be very confident with your reads?
TL;DR I would like to read your scum game so I can meta you as scum in this one

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yea, and in that same post he totally finished the post. It's totally weird that your interest lies there but like you didn't even realize that.
Yeah, that was just me not realizing he actually finished it until now. I was waiting to see if he'd vote Uto.

#HBC | Gorf

Maaaaaaaan JTB comin' out the gates freakin swingin'! Clearly SGDQ came early cuz this man is doing a freakin scumhunting speedrun!

How's it goin brother? Curious about how you compare your Jex and Ran reads, seeing how you called Jex a Ran alt

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Also, I find Uto's response fair. I voted you to see how you'd react, because you are a new player I have not played with and are new. It's a tactic I like to employ in the early game regardless of alignment.
:happysheep:

Top Bottom