• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Being #PC is just a really cool fad much like the Charleston and kids climbing up flag poles in the 20s was

Last edited:

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
i would still like to know why non-whites get preference. legit only reason i can think of is the same one spak gave me and i cant imagine that being it

Last edited:

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
Truthfully, there are only 6~ majors that will get you anywhere near the necessary vocational training for an immediate job out of college.

Computer Science, Accounting, Engineering, Nursing, Pre-med (if you plan to somehow pay for medschool), or you could do literally any bachelor's degree and then go straight to law school (Bachelor's is the only generic requisite for law school). Everything else is either highly specialized and requires additional education, or the field is simply too competitive to garner immediate results (Psychology, for instance, is a bit of both).
music

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Depends on how good you are. If you get into a military band, any kind of reputable orchestra, or a good big band, you get a great income and live very comfortably. If you become a rock star, you're rolling in your millions. Otherwise, you could end up as a street performer.

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
Truthfully, there are only 6~ majors that will get you anywhere near the necessary vocational training for an immediate job out of college. Computer Science, Accounting, Engineering, Nursing, Pre-med (if you plan to somehow pay for medschool), or you could do literally any bachelor's degree and then go straight to law school (Bachelor's is the only generic requisite for law school). Everything else is either highly specialized and requires additional education, or the field is simply too competitive to garner immediate results (Psychology, for instance, is a bit of both).
Lots of untrue in this post. Will go into detail later. But egregious untruth-isms. Spam coming.

Re: Law

Hey okay. As far as the U.S. goes the lawyers I've spoken to have said that the knowledge base they gained for the area of law they practice in are defined by on the job experience with most going so far as to say that their entire three years of legal education was mostly useless (Law School).

As far as I know, law is the most saturated "professional degree" occupation at the moment and many post-graduate law students still work at J.C. Penny or in retail like they did when they had a Bacehlor's Degree because there is no demand for consistent legal output of work. Most of law is needed on a circumstantial basis when individuals take on a problem that they feel requires a lawyer to assist then in a purchase, a business matter, or a court case.

The saturation issue with law schools has occurred because Law School has become a "pay to win" degree. The ABA has allowed many colleges to be created that Law Schools have a four tierings which is ridiculous and isn't the case with other professional schools. Schools have intentionally skewed their post employment data to the ABA to make them look like "stronger" schools to students: JD / JD Advantage / Non JD categories were created to determine the efficacy of the J.D. degree. Schools defaced that system by slapping that J.C. Penny student as a JD Advantage post-graduate i.e. someone who couldn't have found that job without going through Law School and then sourcing that data to the ABA.

Strong schools like George Washington University even have a 9 month post-graduate Legal Studies program so that if you are unable to find a job after a month you can work as a "legal assistant" doing doc review for GWU. However, the reason why it's a 9 month post-bac hiring program is because unemployment statistics issued by the ABA get marked if the legal graduate is unable to find a job within the first nine months of graduating from school. Thereby allowing the school to boost its job matriculation data to 100% presuming all students apply back to the program if they are unable to find a job.

Some individuals have felt the need to go out of their way to inform the public that Law School is a bad idea except for very few who have connections to others in the field who have a job waiting for them. Professor Campos who was a dean that ran administration for admissions in his Law School blogged under an anonymous username about the scam that was being run by law schools until he was forced to out himself because the information he was privy to and his talking points allowed most established professors within the profession to pinpoint that it was him who was issuing the posts.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Also, with a lot of CS interviews for newly graduated students, it tends to go like this:

Interviewer: So, where did you get your degree?
Interviewee: [Insert college with a good CS program here]
Interviewer: *Looks at credentials for a moment* And what projects have you worked on?
Interviewee: Nothing get, this is my first project.
Interviewer: OK, thank you for your time; we'll call you if you got the position.

And then you never hear back from them. In CS, what you've done matters more than what your credentials are.
Happy thanksgiving dgamesia
Happy Thanksgiving! What is everyone thankful for?

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Happy Thanksgiving! For SWF, I'm thankful for the community being revived and flourishing more and more lately.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Music is a highly competitive field, unfortunately for some aspiring musicians. Most musicians I know have simply taken up a job as a barista and end up holding off for a long time until they finally get their chance. Generally that's what happens, and sometimes they just never make it big because they don't have the optimal pitch, skill, yada yada.

In the meantime, music becomes a hobby, and musicians will try to play at bars or restaurants, often times for free (somewhat like an internship) as a means of getting noticed and getting people to talk about them via word of mouth, and things of that nature.

If you're really damn good though, you'll eventually get noticed. This is according to multiple legitimate aspiring musicians I have spoken to. At that point, you'll have the option of haggling a price.

Unless you're going for more of an orchestra or marching-band-esque route, I honestly can't speak to that area.

Also, with a lot of CS interviews for newly graduated students, it tends to go like this:

Interviewer: So, where did you get your degree?
Interviewee: [Insert college with a good CS program here]
Interviewer: *Looks at credentials for a moment* And what projects have you worked on?
Interviewee: Nothing get, this is my first project.
Interviewer: OK, thank you for your time; we'll call you if you got the position.

And then you never hear back from them. In CS, what you've done matters more than what your credentials are.

Happy Thanksgiving! What is everyone thankful for?
Honestly, and I'm not sure whom your sources are, but networking, interning, and how you present yourself, are also unequivocally important in the transition to a full-time position unless you have god-like grades, in which case the former criterion can make a few compromises. Computer Science is a field that is constantly expanding because we are living and breathing computers in this age, so there are PLENTY of opportunities out there.

Of course, this basically applies to just about any major. My main point though was that, and since people don't like to read or pay attention to what I'm trying to say, I'll say it a bit more clearly: these majors put you closest to getting you into a position for your major. It provides you with a decent enough level, at the least, of vocational training to put you in a position for transitioning you into a job for that major.

Majors like sociology, psychology, art history, history, political science, all have the tendency to lead into dead-ends unless said people trying to get involved in those majors are planning on getting their masters and eventually becoming a professor. They don't teach you how to perform a job or put you anywhere near it. College professors get paid pretty well for teaching material though, so that is an available route one could take, but having only a bachelor's degree is not good enough. Opening up your own private practice, let alone getting into one for psychology, for instance, is pretty damn near impossible with just a bachelor's.

I mean, think about it. What are you going to do with an Art History degree? Yes, there are some niche jobs you can fill if you can beat out all the competition, but statistically it's pretty unlikely that you're going to get it. Hello Best Buy!

Lots of untrue in this post. Will go into detail later. But egregious untruth-isms. Spam coming.

Re: Law

Hey okay. As far as the U.S. goes the lawyers I've spoken to have said that the knowledge base they gained for the area of law they practice in are defined by on the job experience with most going so far as to say that their entire three years of legal education was mostly useless (Law School).

As far as I know, law is the most saturated "professional degree" occupation at the moment and many post-graduate law students still work at J.C. Penny or in retail like they did when they had a Bacehlor's Degree because there is no demand for consistent legal output of work. Most of law is needed on a circumstantial basis when individuals take on a problem that they feel requires a lawyer to assist then in a purchase, a business matter, or a court case.

The saturation issue with law schools has occurred because Law School has become a "pay to win" degree. The ABA has allowed many colleges to be created that Law Schools have a four tierings which is ridiculous and isn't the case with other professional schools. Schools have intentionally skewed their post employment data to the ABA to make them look like "stronger" schools to students: JD / JD Advantage / Non JD categories were created to determine the efficacy of the J.D. degree. Schools defaced that system by slapping that J.C. Penny student as a JD Advantage post-graduate i.e. someone who couldn't have found that job without going through Law School and then sourcing that data to the ABA.

Strong schools like George Washington University even have a 9 month post-graduate Legal Studies program so that if you are unable to find a job after a month you can work as a "legal assistant" doing doc review for GWU. However, the reason why it's a 9 month post-bac hiring program is because unemployment statistics issued by the ABA get marked if the legal graduate is unable to find a job within the first nine months of graduating from school. Thereby allowing the school to boost its job matriculation data to 100% presuming all students apply back to the program if they are unable to find a job.

Some individuals have felt the need to go out of their way to inform the public that Law School is a bad idea except for very few who have connections to others in the field who have a job waiting for them. Professor Campos who was a dean that ran administration for admissions in his Law School blogged under an anonymous username about the scam that was being run by law schools until he was forced to out himself because the information he was privy to and his talking points allowed most established professors within the profession to pinpoint that it was him who was issuing the posts.
I've heard the opposite from my lawyer buddies, but then again, they've interned, presented themselves well, and had a knack for networking in order to get their foot in the door. Having great grades is also important, obviously. Some of them worked completely for free under a few small law offices in order to get something on their resume in order to finally transition into a full-time gig.

Either way, I never promised an immediate job, only that those majors could actually be used to push you closer to being in a job position for that major with just a Bachelor's. Read my words carefully.

Since people might be curious, I'm an Accounting major. I've already been offered a position and I'm doing a paid internship in the Spring for another firm.

This isn't something to boast about, because it's actually REALLY easy to get into an accounting gig. Of course, the job involves lots of data entry for bank reconciliations, accounts payable, accounts receivable, blah blah blah, so there's a degree of turnover depending on where you work. Big 4 firms have a staggering turnover because the jobs are so high stress.

Last edited:

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
#HBC | ZoZo #HBC | ZoZo

I'm assuming you're familiar with the concept of affirmative action as a legup for those that typically face barriers to inclusion from their race or (more often) socioeconomic standing right? And just asking why they would explicitly prefer nonwhites or at least nonmale whites?

Basically. The issues inherent in Manitoba's justice issues tend to have a disproportionately huge amount of involvement with Aboriginal folks, victim or perpetrator. This is even more true than ever for CFS stuff as a lot of it involves all those underfunded reserves I mentioned. The logic/rhetoric is that any one of these jobs will 100% definitely require specific sensitivity to their issues and culture, and the desire to generalize their whole population in broad strokes without looking at root causes and/or make drastic assumptions about the character of an individual will cloud your judgment. Logically, an aboriginal man that grew up on a reserve or an aboriginal single mom living in the north end might have some perspective most whitebreads will just obviously lack.

.......I'm not sure what a disability would tell you that they wouldn't know but whatever

Anyway, I get it. And honestly, I really do think it has some logic to it a lot of the time. But I think MB goes way too far with it, to the point people are categorized in frankly the exact ways they logically don't want, to the point that these minority groups become commodified. At any rate I'm qualified for a lot of these jobs, had very few opportunities, and have spent most of my life under the poverty line but they don't seem to care or even glance at me to notice because I'm not disabled, nonwhite, or female, meanwhile I don't have any other opportunities via nepotism or networking available to me that said interest groups would also lack.... and that. Well. It's poop.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
My dad was a professional musician. He joined the army and played the drums/percussion for their band for 20+ years and apparently had the time of his life doing it. He now has a sidejob in a big band. THey don't get a lot of gigs because the genre of music/musical act has less demand and even when it does, the economy's in decline and hiring a big band is really expensive. Luckily as a drummer he's one of those "can't-miss" musicians, in that if they shrink the band down to get a gig at a lower price he'll still have a guaranteed spot. Ultimately he loves doing it and has a lot of fun and no regrets but I kinda wonder what else he could have done sometimes because he honestly is an amazing drummer, dude just turned 60 and you'd think he's ****ing 18 years old he's so energetic behind a kit

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Honestly, and I'm not sure whom your sources are, but networking, interning, and how you present yourself, are also unequivocally important in the transition to a full-time position unless you have god-like grades, in which case the former criterion can make a few compromises. Computer Science is a field that is constantly expanding because we are living and breathing computers in this age, so there are PLENTY of opportunities out there.
My source is former CTO of Icarus Studios (before the merger that pretty much ruined their game quality) and my dad (head of research and development of the Raleigh branch of aa networking company based in Japan). I agree that how you present yourself is important in every interview regardless of your major and that intenship is very important as it builds your project portfolio, but you almost always can't get a full-paying job at a reputable company if you haven't worked on anything of significance.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
My source is former CTO of Icarus Studios (before the merger that pretty much ruined their game quality) and my dad (head of research and development of the Raleigh branch of aa networking company based in Japan). I agree that how you present yourself is important in every interview regardless of your major and that intenship is very important as it builds your project portfolio, but you almost always can't get a full-paying job at a reputable company if you haven't worked on anything of significance.
Some people just need to bite the bullet and work for free. Obviously it's the last resort, but having any kind of edge helps if it means building up your resume a bit to get the job. As far as reputable companies go, yes, it would be very hard to do unless you were a promising candidate with a 4.0 gpa, etcetera. There's nothing wrong with starting small though; my post essentially assumes people would be starting small with 2.5~ gpas.

For every other major, it's hard as rocks.

Last edited:

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
"just bite the bullet and work for free"

I'd like to defer you to "deeply impoverished, deeply in debt, carrying more than 75% of the financial burden in a relationship/living expenses while working 14+hrs a day 6 days a week 2014 EE" and see how quickly he gets buttmangled and punches you in the face

BarDulL

Town Vampire
"just bite the bullet and work for free"

I'd like to defer you to "deeply impoverished, deeply in debt, carrying more than 75% of the financial burden in a relationship/living expenses while working 14+hrs a day 6 days a week 2014 EE" and see how quickly he gets buttmangled and punches you in the face
Work part-time at Best Buy/Target etc. and try to get some hours in weekly at a firm. Have some optimism.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
like yeah depending on if my tax refund is as good as it seems like it's gonna be (thank ****) I might actually finally be able to do that, but even then only because I've moved back in with my dad and that makes me feel like the scum of the earth, as does the idea of spending all my time volunteering and bringing nothing to the table financially

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
....did you...... did you miss the underlying assumption that I was working 14+ hours a day because I absolutely had to, or my living situation would not be covered or what? Or was I supposed to tell my ex to go suck **** for extra money while I take a pay cut to work part time and instantly torpedo like 60% of our monthly income which was already barely enough?

edit: like what you said straight up makes no sense. I could afford to do it now if my refund is solid, but even then only because of that + not paying rent/most food expenses. In my old apartment, lolwtf I'd have been straight up bankrupt in a week

also why are you not talking to me on AIM about AGame junk THE ROLES LEFT IN PAMPLONA ARE SO COOL

Last edited:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
like yeah depending on if my tax refund is as good as it seems like it's gonna be (thank ****) I might actually finally be able to do that, but even then only because I've moved back in with my dad and that makes me feel like the scum of the earth, as does the idea of spending all my time volunteering and bringing nothing to the table financially
I honestly don't think you're scum for the earth, rent expense is deplorable as **** while trying to pay off loans. I will probably do the same thing for a year after I pick up the CPA.

I used to be of the opinion that working for free to get an edge sucked massive *****, but it only sucks massive ***** in the short term. Gotta just plow through it and accept it while acknowledging that it looks REALLY good on your resume and shows you're committed.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
....did you...... did you miss the underlying assumption that I was working 14+ hours a day because I absolutely had to, or my living situation would not be covered or what? Or was I supposed to tell my ex to go suck **** for extra money while I take a pay cut to work part time and instantly torpedo like 60% of hour monthly income which was already barely enough?

edit: like what you said straight up makes no sense. I could afford to do it now if my refund is solid, but even then only because of that + not paying rent/most food expenses. In my old apartment, lolwtf I'd have been straight up bankrupt in a week

also why are you not talking to me on AIM about AGame junk THE ROLES LEFT IN PAMPLONA ARE SO COOL
I mean, I'm not going to try to kick you while you're down, you probably could have planned things out a bit better though. 14+ hours a day just to get by, assuming you work every day, is a bit absurd. I am not sure how you managed to land yourself in that extreme of a position, or how you have time for the AGame that matter.

I've been busy and haven't checked on the AGame, I assumed it was going slow and hadn't started yet. I don't have AIM. :p

Last edited:

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
Depends on how good you are. If you get into a military band, any kind of reputable orchestra, or a good big band, you get a great income and live very comfortably. If you become a rock star, you're rolling in your millions. Otherwise, you could end up as a street performer.
literally every profession depends on how good you are. the difference between "normal" jobs and positions in music is that how good you are is extremely apparent and realistic jobs are actually pretty abundant if youre at least pretty good. teaching 20 private students a week for 40 bucks an hour gives you a solid 41k cash a year in and of itself, and doing that at that rate is something you do on the side if you do. "doing music" isnt just about performing.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I think you're misunderstanding, Bard. That's the situation I was in. I am no longer in that situation, simply because I don't have to pay rent anymore (and a little bit some other bills/food). It changes everything, but then the job market of course remains frustrating. Volunteering is something I'm looking into now that my tax return is coming in and I can afford to be picky about jobs again instead of desperately take everything that gives me a chance. This is why I said I would defer you to 2014 EE. 2014 EE was in a different situation, and a situation where the idea of "just work PT lol" is laughable.

14+ hours a day = lots of OT = lots of money lost to taxes. It's a sacrifice you have to make when you want to have your own situation, you have a lot of debt (as in not just student debt), and your other half works a minimum wage job for not quite fulltime hours. This is in a country where everything is more expensive. Groceries. Gas. You name it, it's more expensive. And we were both smokers, which is a tempting thing to pounce on but if you think "just quit smoking lol" is a thing when you're in that stressful of a financial bind you've never known a smoker in your life so don't even go there

Is it hard for you to see the situation, or have you maybe jsut not experienced truly hard times and thus don't have a perspective for it?

OH GOD MY FACE WHEN I suddenly UNDERSTAND ALL THE AFFIRMATIVE ACTION I KEEP RUNNING INTO

Unrelated! But uh... you need to get AIM. It's required to play the game bruh.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I think you're misunderstanding, Bard. That's the situation I was in. I am no longer in that situation, simply because I don't have to pay rent anymore (and a little bit some other bills/food). It changes everything, but then the job market of course remains frustrating. Volunteering is something I'm looking into now that my tax return is coming in and I can afford to be picky about jobs again instead of desperately take everything that gives me a chance. This is why I said I would defer you to 2014 EE. 2014 EE was in a different situation, and a situation where the idea of "just work PT lol" is laughable.

14+ hours a day = lots of OT = lots of money lost to taxes. It's a sacrifice you have to make when you want to have your own situation, you have a lot of debt (as in not just student debt), and your other half works a minimum wage job for not quite fulltime hours. This is in a country where everything is more expensive. Groceries. Gas. You name it, it's more expensive. And we were both smokers, which is a tempting thing to pounce on but if you think "just quit smoking lol" is a thing when you're in that stressful of a financial bind you've never known a smoker in your life so don't even go there

Is it hard for you to see the situation, or have you maybe jsut not experienced truly hard times and thus don't have a perspective for it?

OH GOD MY FACE WHEN I suddenly UNDERSTAND ALL THE AFFIRMATIVE ACTION I KEEP RUNNING INTO

Unrelated! But uh... you need to get AIM. It's required to play the game bruh.
I'm not really understanding why we're arguing then. Obviously if you're in that extreme of a position, working for free is out of the question, but if you're not and are looking to move up in the job market, then building up your resume by volunteering/interning for free should never, at all, be out of the question. I am addressing the average joe, not extreme situations like the one you've presented.

I've very carefully planned ahead so that I am not in debt as a result of my education, but I have worked in ****ty jobs to maintain room and board over summer and winter sessions even if it wasn't related to my major of choice. I do not use my parents or anyone as a crutch unless I absolutely need to.

I'll get an AIM account up and running in a bit.

Last edited:

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Well see, that's just it though. In 2014 I was experiencing the exact same barriers to entry and the exact same poopy market I'm dealing with right now. My situation wasn't as extreme as you think it is. ~400 for rent. ~300 for gas/insurance and that's probably underselling ~600 for groceries (a gallon of milk is five bucks, a package of meat is usually 25-as much as SIXTY bucks) ~120 for internet/tv/etc. ~50 for phone. Literally "as much as I can possibly spare" for credit. and so we're clear this is just what I paid not including the other expenses that she did. It was really not that extreme of a situation at all, in fact we had a dope situation for rent compared to most boroughs. I was also fortunate enough that I scrimped and scraped at my bouncing job while still in school to pay my student loans off, $300 every single month, to the point I had them wiped out within six months of grad

If you don't get a professional job in this city you're lucky, as in extremely lucky, if you even have 2K total money to play with after the tax folks get their hands in your pockets, which is why I worked so much overtime and a second job -- to squeeze every last dollar out of my situation that I could, even if a lot of it was getting lost to taxes.

My situation was never going to improve without a better job. I desperately wanted (and deserved) a better situation. Your solution is "just bite the bullet and work for free". But you now acknowledge that it was literally impossible (after at first saying "work part time for min wage and volunteer"). Well? But 2014 EE was in more dire straits than 2015 EE, and had literally no opportunities instead of almost none. So what was his solution? Or are you just saying "I guess there wasn't one"? If you're conceding that, then there's an obvious problem with the world economy and the market and "some people need to just bite the bullet" is not an acceptable rationale

Last edited:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Well see, that's just it though. In 2014 I was experiencing the exact same barriers to entry and the exact same poopy market I'm dealing with right now. My situation wasn't as extreme as you think it is. ~400 for rent. ~300 for gas/insurance and that's probably underselling ~600 for groceries (a gallon of milk is five bucks, a package of meat is usually 25-as much as SIXTY bucks) ~120 for internet/tv/etc. ~50 for phone. Literally "as much as I can possibly spare" for credit. and so we're clear this is just what I paid not including the other expenses that she did. It was really not that extreme of a situation at all, in fact we had a dope situation for rent compared to most boroughs. I was also fortunate enough that I scrimped and scraped at my bouncing job while still in school to pay my student loans off, $300 every single month, to the point I had them wiped out within six months of grad

If you don't get a professional job in this city you're lucky, as in extremely lucky, if you even have 2K total money to play with after the tax folks get their hands in your pockets, which is why I worked so much overtime and a second job -- to squeeze every last dollar out of my situation that I could, even if a lot of it was getting lost to taxes.

My situation was never going to improve without a better job. I desperately wanted (and deserved) a better situation. Your solution is "just bite the bullet and work for free". But you now acknowledge that it was literally impossible (after at first saying "work part time for min wage and volunteer"). Well? But 2014 EE was in more dire straits than 2015 EE, and had literally no opportunities instead of almost none. So what was his solution? Or are you just saying "I guess there wasn't one"? If you're conceding that, then there's an obvious problem with the world economy and the market and "some people need to just bite the bullet" is not an acceptable rationale
Any situation where you need to work 14 hours a day just to get by is extreme no matter how you posture it. Chances are you weren't handling your finances very well.

I spend $40 a week on groceries for myself, for instance. I pay $550 for rent monthly, probably $60 for gas. $60 for internet/tv (150 mpbs download, 20 mpbs upload, not sure who is stealing your money but I have comcast), $60 for phone (unlimited data, which is admittedly luxurious).

$600 a month for groceries on just yourself is high. What, do you eat like a hippo or something?

Like I said before, you probably should have planned ahead better.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
And again, if you have the capability to spare time to intern/volunteer at any job site to improve your resume, then you should if it means moving up in the job market.

Believe what you want to believe, but that's what you actually have to do if you're seeing little results in your field of choice.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I had Friendsgiving last weekend, and visited my family 2 weeks prior, so I have no plans of eating turkey today.

For the record, I am actually entertaining this discussion light-heartedly despite what my posting style might represent otherwise.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
"on just yourself"

Bro, I already said that I was living with someone else at the time and that groceries are considerably more expensive in Canada. As in "i talked about groceries with an american bro once and they were flabbergasted". And that most of that additional money made working overtime was lost to taxes (which I'm, it seems, getting back thank god). You're either not reading carefully or I don't know what.

And of course this doesn't answer the fact that a part time job wouldn't have come even close to covering my end of things, or even like, more than half of it. So where was that volunteering time come in? What costs could I have cut? Driving? Not really. I needed it to get to work because there was no transit route. We cut costs in numerous small ways, like making a long pain in the ass ordeal of every sunday to do laundry for free at a family member's house. I quit going to the gym (which cut off a 60$ bill + 40-80$ a month for supplements and the like) the day I moved in with her. We had the cheapest rent you'll find in the city that isn't legitimate ghetto. believe it or not i learned a lot about costcutting when I was a college student with a weekend job paying off $300 of loans a month

but whatever, believe whatever you want to believe obviously I just can't plan

Last edited:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
"on just yourself"

Bro, I already said that I was living with someone else at the time and that groceries are considerably more expensive in Canada. As in "i talked about groceries with an american bro once and they were flabbergasted". And that most of that additional money made working overtime was lost to taxes (which I'm, it seems, getting back thank god). You're either not reading carefully or I don't know what.

And of course this doesn't answer the fact that a part time job wouldn't have come even close to covering my end of things, or even like, more than half of it. So where was that volunteering time come in? What costs could I have cut? Driving? Not really. I needed it to get to work because there was no transit route. We cut costs in numerous small ways, like making a long pain in the *** ordeal of every sunday to do laundry for free at a family member's house. I quit going to the gym (which cut off a 60$ bill + 40-80$ a month for supplements and the like) the day I moved in with her.

but whatever, believe whatever you want to believe obviously I just can't plan
Don't pay for your girlfriend's **** if it puts you in that much of a detriment.

You heard it here first, folks.

Top Bottom