• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
"I know I make a lot more money than you but you don't get to eat food I buy because I want to spend less money"

said no one ever

BarDulL

Town Vampire
"I know I make a lot more money than you but you don't get to eat food I buy because I want to spend less money"

said no one ever
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/famil132a-eng.htm

The average household in Canada is made up of 2.5 people, and according to these numbers provided by your own government, the individual average for monthly expenditures on food in canada was $266 in 2013. Even then, I would go as far to say that you can get by with less spending just by looking at some of the prices at a Canadian Walmart.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/maple-l...-chicken-breasts-fillet-removed/6000191279307

That chicken is $10 canadian, or $7.52 U.S. dollars, and would last anywhere between 6-8 meals for a single person eating at the average rate. A gallon of milk by your count is $5, but that should last you at least week even if you drink it like water, but even then buying two gallons is not a big deal. Rice is a great cost-efficient and calorie-efficient carb that can last a month if you play your cards right. Like, looking at all these prices, I am shocked to hear you say that groceries in Canada cost more than they do in the US. You must be eating some incredibly luxurious groceries because you shouldn't be paying as much as you claim to be.

In other words, not only should you not have been paying an extra 300 some odd dollars for your girlfriend (which probably includes gas and some other stuff if I had to guess), you were probably spending more on yourself than necessary. This is just one example of how you could have better spent your money to avoid having to work 14 hours a week.

Last edited:

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Man I don't even know where to begin. Do you want me to go take pictures of prices or what?

Those chicken breasts that you just linked to wouldn't last me 6-8 meals by myself. Like what? How little do you eat, exactly? Because as a large man that works extremely physical jobs I go by bodybuilder portions and subtract a substantial amount as my base nutrition. What kind of jobs do you work? Because I was doing physical labor jobs that required me to do things like (I wish I was kidding) deadlift a thousand pound hot tub with the assistance of a single partner and flip it onto its side. That's just one example of the kind of physically demanding stuff I had to do all day, every day. I'd eat one of those chicken breasts per meal and that was probably underfeeding myself judging by how sore I was all the time.

Or how a gallon of milk should last a week "even if you drink it like water". Wha? How much water do you drink, because either your body must be falling apart on the inside or you never sweat or physically belabor yourself even a little if it's a gallon total in the whole week. I'm being jokey/facetious here, I actually don't know what not drinking enough water does to the human body, but I sure as **** drink a lot more water than that. I drink like 2L of water a day at my current job, and it's about half as demanding as my last couple were

I went to a place called Price Chopper pretty often which would give you some pretty unreal deals on things like deli meat (sandwiches all day err day) and sometimes eggs or maybe, maybe a big deal on chicken or something if you're lucky. A trip to price chopper would cost about 200-250 bucks. I'd get whatever the awesome sale was, a bunch of loaves of bread, meat, vegetables and milk for the week and some varied canned foods. I don't know why you find this so outrageously implausible that you're mining around in economic data trying to disprove me, even though speaking in terms of national averages is pretty silly when we're talking about one single anecdotal situation

like **** the website you just linked said the annual expenditure is 7980 in the year. I divided that by 12 and it's $665/mth, not $265. So unless I've misread your own sources aren't in agreement with you.

you clearly came into this conversation with "he obviously did something wrong" cemented immovably in your mind and dug your heels in deeper looking for ways to shut down what I'm saying with every updated bit of information I gave you (wild ass guesses at that, it's not like I"m digging up my old spiral notebook budgets I threw out a long time ago here) rather than actually putting yourself in that position and thinking about it. "Don't spend money on someone else's cost of living then lol". I point out the bankrupt logic of saying that about a SO that you live with. Then you shapeshift the center of your argument and move on to attacking other minutia. I honestly feel like you're a lot more invested in winning the argument than you are in learning about what my situation was, given that you make one assumption after another and haven't asked a single question.

It's not like I'm denying better planning could have made my situation less terrible, I mean I was a smoker ffs, but the idea that it could have just solved my problems is a fantasy. And this is all getting far away from "so what about working at best buy for minimum wage part time so I can volunteer, where was that gonna fit in?" Even if I quit smoking the day I moved in (was not gonna happen) and optimized my food purchases a bit more, I could have maybe cut my hours down to the average 40-50 hours a week. This would not change anything about my ability to "just work for free", considering any agency I would want to do volunteer work for would need said volunteer work done during the day. When people, like myself, would be working.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
like it actually feels like you got so wrapped up in winning an argument you shapeshifted the core of it around and lost literally all sight on the nature of the initial disagreement and why we were even talking about it in the first place

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
just asked mashad

for just himself (and he eats tons of pork, and I"m terrible at cooking pork so I didn't buy it much but it 's a lot cheaper than chicken or beef) he spends about 200 a month. Yeah I"m sure 265 feeds a family of 2.5 lolol ok

BarDulL

Town Vampire
No, I'm just keeping it super real. EE chose to use himself as anecdotal evidence for a discussion, and I proved that he was spending too much money on himself for food. It might come off as being a **** on my behalf, but it's hard to tread the lines when people are trying to prove a point against what I've said by using themselves as an example.

Intern if you want to improve your resume. You can get the time to do this if you better finance yourself. Discussion is over.

Last edited:

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Literally everyone I've talked to thinks the idea of your boneless chicken breasts for $10 lasting 6-8 meals is ludicrous

but okay

literally your own source says monthly food costs 400 dollars more than what you said it does

but okay

if you drink a gallon of water in an entire week and actually live off the African poverty amount of protein you've implied we clearly have extremely different lifestyles and nutritional needs

but okay

discussion over for sure

Last edited:

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
I didn't read the bulk of the argument Bardull but when you try to make a point about the someone's troubles with their financial/personal situations that boil down to 'lol just make more money dude' you're gonna need your clown shoes

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Actually he technically said I need to just make way, way less money so as to make room for volunteering

Which is clearly a lot more logical

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Bard are you going by the idea that suggested portion sizes or whatever are the literal exact amount necessary to live on? I didnt read your links but thats the only way i can see people living on as little as you suggest

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Literally everyone I've talked to thinks the idea of your boneless chicken breasts for $10 lasting 6-8 meals is ludicrous

but okay

literally your own source says monthly food costs 400 dollars more than what you said it does

but okay

if you drink a gallon of water in an entire week and actually live off the African poverty amount of protein you've implied we clearly have extremely different lifestyles and nutritional needs

but okay

discussion over for sure
It is really easy to spend only $40 a week on food. Why don't you do a little research yourself? It only takes a quick google search of "how much does the average canadian spend on groceries" to figure it out.

I didn't read the bulk of the argument Bardull but when you try to make a point about the someone's troubles with their financial/personal situations that boil down to 'lol just make more money dude' you're gonna need your clown shoes
You probably should read it if you want to chime in, you're factually wrong to assume that's what I was doing.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Bard are you going by the idea that suggested portion sizes or whatever are the literal exact amount necessary to live on? I didnt read your links but thats the only way i can see people living on as little as you suggest
I'm going by an average 2000 calorie daily diet. Of course, even if we are to assume that EE consumes mammoth proportions, I've read a few articles and reddit threads that suggest that heavy set body builders spend around $400 a month on food at max. He's already admitted to paying for his girlfriend's stuff, so I don't need to better spell out that he could better control his finances, pointing out that he spends too much on food was a means to prove to him that there are ways to better finance himself so that he can have time to intern.

And yes, the canadian average for the individual is $266 for 2013. I can do the math for you, EE, if you want.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Did you even read your own link? It said 7980 for the year. 7980 / 12 = 665

http://www.discoveryfinance.com/average-monthly-household-grocery-bill-canada.html

500-600 is the figure provided here

I'll pass on the math help bard obviously not your strong suit when you're trying to win an argument
Reading isn't your strong suit, as that statistic is representative of a HOUSEHOLD, Evil Weenie. The average household used for these statistics is 2.5. So, you take 665 / 2.5 = 266.

Are we done here?

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Uh, no. I said I was paying for all the groceries. Then you said I shouldn't have been. I point out the absurd logic of saying "you can't eat the food I buy because I want to spend less". You changed the nature of the debate into trying to prove that I couldn't have been spending what I said I was. And then that I was spending too much on myself, even though the idea of a man of my stature working the type of jobs that I do on 2000 calories a day is the most ridiculous **** I've ever heard in my life

and why are we even including the .5 in that division? Do children work in sweatshops to help mom and dad pay for the groceries or something?

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Uh, no. I said I was paying for all the groceries. Then you said I shouldn't have been. I point out the absurd logic of saying "you can't eat the food I buy because I want to spend less". You changed the nature of the debate into trying to prove that I couldn't have been spending what I said I was. And then that I was spending too much on myself, even though the idea of a man of my stature working the type of jobs that I do on 2000 calories a day is the most ridiculous **** I've ever heard in my life

and why are we even including the .5 in that division? Do children work in sweatshops to help mom and dad pay for the groceries or something?
I wasn't trying to change the nature of the debate, although I do think you shouldn't have been paying for your former GF's stuff if doing so was causing you to work 14 hours daily. Of course, that in itself was of a different nature; in a sense I already conceded that, under those circumstances, you would not have much time to intern, but you can not deny that working 14 hours daily is extreme, and that it's not necessary if you handle your finances better and not pay for all your lady's stuff.

Anyway, that's the AVERAGE FAMILY SIZE, you silly goose. At least, according to your government.

Or Canadians cut their people in half. They always seemed to be an odd bunch.

Last edited:

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
With that said I apologize for the snarky backhand, sincerely. But it boils my blood that you're trying to say you "proved" I spent too much money on myself because I didn't eat like a sedentary 120lbs office worker while doing the kind of hard physical labor you expect to see in movies about prison labor, every day

consider the fact that she made **** money at a **** job for **** hours but paid for a large amount of my smoking habit, for example, and 99% of our pet costs. she did what she could; what she could do wasn't much and I don't hold that against someone that was barely over 20 and had no postsecondary education when I was barely able to do what little I could with a university degree and years more working exp

edit:

we only cut children in half after divorces where there's an odd number of children, bc canada is all about equity obv

Last edited:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
With that said I apologize for the snarky backhand, sincerely. But it boils my blood that you're trying to say you "proved" I spent too much money on myself because I didn't eat like a sedentary 120lbs office worker while doing the kind of hard physical labor you expect to see in movies about prison labor, every day

consider the fact that she made **** money at a **** job for **** hours but paid for a large amount of my smoking habit, for example, and 99% of our pet costs. she did what she could; what she could do wasn't much and I don't hold that against someone that was barely over 20 and had no postsecondary education when I was barely able to do what little I could
I know, and if that's the circumstances you wanted to live under, that was your choice. Obviously there are moral constructs that people want to live in despite dealing with this sort of thing. Do you see why it is hard to have this debate while not inadvertently cutting the cardboard the wrong way?

I mean, the reality is that I am factually correct, but it can be hard to achieve the end goal under a given set of circumstances, especially when the circumstances are as anecdotal as yours. That isn't me trying to be a ****ter, mind you. I'm providing generic advice that works in a vacuum, people oft times need to make sacrifices in the short term in order to achieve their goals in the long term.

Would I abandon a girl that was in deep **** in terms of financial going-ons and the like, especially if I was emotionally attached? It would be hard to. I've learned from past experiences though, and now I only date women that are financially independent for that very reason. How am I going to achieve my own goals if someone is financially weighing me down? The same applies to pets. They require too much of a time investment and require additional money to be dealt with when it's not something I'm financially willing to handle at the moment. I have to uphold my financial goals as a priority right now, and that involves making sacrifices that I may not want to make.

Frankly, I don't think 2000 calorie diets were outside of the range of normalcy, as that is the recommended average according to the FDA and something I stick by. I weigh over 200 lbs at 6'2 ft in heightt, I've actually been trying to eat less lately. I'm predominantly sedentary but I do have muscle and go on hikes and the like, so perhaps I didn't take my hyper slow metabolism into account.

Even so, according to this, the average canadian caloric intake for males, specifically for our age group and at a sedentary level, is 2500 according to this website:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/food-guide-aliment/basics-base/1_1_1-eng.php

That's essentially an extra hotpocket and a glass of milk, so I don't think I'm too far off the mark. 3000 calories is the very physically active average.

Last edited:

Maven89

Smash Master
Bard why are you even arguing this

Like, what's the point? Do you really think you can spend a few minutes on google and beat a Canadian in an argument abut what life in Canda is like? Do you really think that's relevant? Because you're looking like a dumb ass who thinks google makes him a genius whose google to solve everyone problems.

also not eating any turkey on thanksgiving it what ISIS wants

Last edited:

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
uhh

bardull you're the asshole because it's ****ing clear that you've never struggled by the way you conduct yourself and you're trying to share wisdom about how to financially struggle less. the thought of spending 40 dollars of food a week is hilarious, especially if the price spike in canada is what it is. the fact that you can't comprehend the philosophy behind buying groceries for your even more struggling girlfriend is mind boggling. like

idk dude. im perplexed.

oh and for clarification the list of things you seem to lack empathy for goes on, i just choose not to continue cuz i'd rather touch myself.

Last edited:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Bard why are you even arguing this

Like, what's the point? Do you really think you can spend a few minutes on google and beat a Canadian in an argument abut what life in Canda is like? Do you really think that's relevant? Because you're looking like a dumb *** who thinks google makes him a genius whose google to solve everyone problems.

also not eating any turkey on thanksgiving it what ISIS wants
He said I was wrong, I said I was right, and we had a talk about it.

I'm sorry I'm not a sheep like you that doesn't uphold their beliefs and supports them with actual facts when someone says that you're wrong. Maybe if you read the conversation, you wouldn't chalk it up to "Bard is being a ****lord and wrong," like some of you have.

Last edited:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
uhh

bardull you're the ******* because it's ****ing clear that you've never struggled by the way you conduct yourself and you're trying to share wisdom about how to financially struggle less. the thought of spending 40 dollars of food a week is hilarious, especially if the price spike in canada is what it is. the fact that you can't comprehend the philosophy behind buying groceries for your even more struggling girlfriend is mind boggling. like

idk dude. im perplexed.

oh and for clarification the list of things you seem to lack empathy for goes on, i just choose not to continue cuz i'd rather touch myself.
That's what happens when you bring yourself up as evidence for a debate. The other guy looks like a bad guy for saying "no, you're wrong" in the face of opposition because he says your financial decisions weren't imperative to your immediate financial future, even if it's true.

I could care less if you're going to chalk me up to that standard, because it isn't true.

Last edited:

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
You keep acting like you "won" despite that you were bringing up national averages in the context of a specific situation.

If you want to say you proved the point that dumping my gf and moving into a ghetto apt because I wouldn't have to worry about her safety anymore or pay for anything would have solved my financial woes, okay, I will accept the objective fact that that is the case, but I was trying to live like a human being that wants to be with someone that makes me happy and not a rational choice robot.

funny enough a rational choice robot is pretty much how I"m living my life now. It is predictably kind of cold and empty but functional and going well enough despite the frustrating job market.

the most important thing this conversation has accomplished is reminding me of wal-mart's $10 chicken breasts because despite that I need to eat a ton of calories that's a pretty good price for 3.5-4 meals' worth of lean protein

(also I was going to just drop it but since you keep mentioning sedentary averages.... all I can say is why? I don't have a sedentary lifestyle, and didn't then, and pretty much never have as an adult. I have the polar opposite of a sedentary work/life situation, so it isn't relevant. And I don't know where you got your numbers btw but my buddy is a power lifter and he eats in the 4-6K per day range)

Last edited:

#HBC | Gorf

no

that's what happens when you try and dispute somebody's life for its own sake

Work part-time at Best Buy/Target etc. and try to get some hours in weekly at a firm. Have some optimism.
this is "your counterargument to ee's personal anecdote." working part-time at best buy or target puts you below the poverty level. that makes you homeless. you lost.

Last edited:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
You keep acting like you "won" despite that you were bringing up national averages in the context of a specific situation.

If you want to say you proved the point that dumping my gf and moving into a ghetto apt because I wouldn't have to worry about her safety anymore or pay for anything would have solved my financial woes, okay, I will accept the objective fact that that is the case, but I was trying to live like a human being that wants to be with someone that makes me happy and not a rational choice robot.

funny enough a rational choice robot is pretty much how I"m living my life now. It is predictably kind of cold and empty but functional and going well enough despite the frustrating job market.

the most important thing this conversation has accomplished is reminding me of wal-mart's $10 chicken breasts because despite that I need to eat a ton of calories that's a pretty good price for 3.5-4 meals' worth of lean protein

(also I was going to just drop it but since you keep mentioning sedentary averages.... all I can say is why? I don't have a sedentary lifestyle, and didn't then, and pretty much never have as an adult. I have the polar opposite of a sedentary work/life situation, so it isn't relevant. And I don't know where you got your numbers btw but my buddy is a power lifter and he eats in the 4-6K per day range)
I prefer consensus over an individual win.

I already conceded that moral constructs are understandably troublesome. Why are people calling me an asshole for it? It's like they didn't read the conversation and made assumptions.

Maybe I'll take a stab at this later when the thread cools off. I feel like people are still misrepresenting me and are too quick to jump on a dysfunctional bandwagon. For people that I've known for years, it's a bit depressing, really.

Imagine that. A rational choice robot being slightly depressed.

Kantrip

Kantplay
I just went to the store to buy food for a couple meals and soap/deodorant and spent $40. No way I last the whole week off that trip, rofl

BarDulL

Town Vampire
no

that's what happens when you try and dispute somebody's life for its own sake

this is "your counterargument to ee's personal anecdote." working part-time at best buy or target puts you below the poverty level. that makes you homeless. you lost.
This is another misrepresentation. At that point in time, I wasn't immediately familiar with EE's situation as I predominantly skimmed his posts. I skimmed most of EE's stuff since I already tried telling him to be optimistic, but he kept dredging up the thread with his life situation and it was pretty depressing.

Maven89

Smash Master
I'm sorry I'm not a sheep like you that doesn't uphold their beliefs and supports them with actual facts when someone says that you're wrong. Maybe if you read the conversation, you wouldn't chalk it up to "Bard is being a ****lord and wrong," like some of you have.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I'm deliberately going to fly to Canada and work up a grocery bill just to prove you guys wrong. Buying my itinerary now.

#HBC | Gorf

that's a lie

you knew this

"just bite the bullet and work for free"

I'd like to defer you to "deeply impoverished, deeply in debt, carrying more than 75% of the financial burden in a relationship/living expenses while working 14+hrs a day 6 days a week 2014 EE" and see how quickly he gets buttmangled and punches you in the face
that's all you need to know in order to tell that moving from this situation to a part-time best buy job is homelessness.

Maven89

Smash Master
Bard the fact that you're googling everything shows you had zero knowledge of this subject but decided to start arguing it anyways and then had to try and use the internet to supplant your lack of real life experiences and don't seem to think there's a problem doing that.

Bro you told him to abandon his girlfriend. It doesn't matter at all if you're actually right with your statistics because socially you're being a giant **** and 100% in the wrong and if you don't think social standards matter then go live in a cave

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I'm starting to worry that bardull is going to get lynchmobbed and murdered the first time the town of Pamplona Point has a major incident and his character suggests a solution

that or dr. phibes will cross over from the fog and run him over with his own car

/lighthearted conflict resolution

Last edited:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
that's a lie

you knew this

that's all you need to know in order to tell that moving from this situation to a part-time best buy job is homelessness.
Ok, I have a confession to make. I skimmed that half of the post and was addressing his current life schpeal regarding not having better opportunities. I ended up skimming most of his posts prior to our discussion since it was depressing to read and was responding to his current life situation. My intent was not to tell him to be homeless, lol.

Last edited:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Bard the fact that you're googling everything shows you had zero knowledge of this subject but decided to start arguing it anyways and then had to try and use the internet to supplant your lack of real life experiences and don't seem to think there's a problem doing that.

Bro you told him to abandon his girlfriend. It doesn't matter at all if you're actually right with your statistics because socially you're being a giant **** and 100% in the wrong and if you don't think social standards matter then go live in a cave
Not abandon, but holy **** dude, getting yourself in that much of a financial predicament is NOT good for your health, especially going at 14 hours DAILY in the job site. A change obviously needed to be made.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I did make a change. I'm in a completely different situation now. I don't like it any more, really, but it's better in many ways and worse in others. The whole crux of that argument/debate was on finding/working a solution WITHIN THAT situation, but I guess the only reason we even had a debate was skimming.

But for you to not even read my posts but feel compelled to argue the point while make flagrant presumptions about my situation and what I did or didn't do, that I didn't plan enough, to keep arguing and keep trying to find ways to make me wrong..... even though you weren't reading my posts, that's low as **** man. It really is.

but I regret the fact that this conversation started and have been trying to disengage it every few posts. Including the last one. And now this one.

Hey guys, you know who's hot? Esther Baxter. She has an 85 year old lady's name, but damn. Bardull knows what's up (actually though, we discussed this once)

Last edited:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I did make a change. I'm in a completely different situation now. I don't like it any more, really, but it's better in many ways and worse in others. The whole crux of that argument/debate was on finding/working a solution WITHIN THAT situation, but I guess the only reason we even had a debate was skimming.

But for you to not even read my posts but feel compelled to argue the point while make flagrant presumptions about my situation and what I did or didn't do, that I didn't plan enough, to keep arguing and keep trying to find ways to make me wrong even though you weren't reading my posts, that's low as **** man. It really is.

but I regret the fact that this conversation started and have been trying to disengage it every few posts. Including the last one. And now this one.

Hey guys, you know who's hot? Esther Baxter. She has an 85 year old lady's name, but damn. Bardull knows what's up (actually though, we discussed this once)
Nah, I read the posts after that first post, but missed the initial point and intent, which was a joke on your end. LOL!

I'm going to get a chai frapp and try to forget this ever happened.

Top Bottom