• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
no im certain ill try and take acrostic's advice because i honestly don't want depression to be a defining factor about me and the people that actually go ahead and say that it is are the ones who never get over it
I would try to isolate the feeling and try to figure out what is making you feel this way. After coming up with a couple of ideas, try tackling a couple of them with what you have at home and see if that makes you feel any better. I think that self-awareness is an important thing for a lot of people who are depressed. There's no shame in being sad or opening up, but you've got to realize at some point that this is getting in your way and you are the one who decides to what extent this will affect your productivity. Of course your mileage is going to vary depending on your environment and how you cope with things. Also what helped me was reading therapy and counseling books. I don't mind sending you a really short paperback I have called: Between Therapist and Client ~ The New Relationship that helped me deal with stress issues I was having in college.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Badwolf. You and I both have an essay to do. THAT'S DUE TOMORROW.

So bro. Start it now. I'm gonna try. I have to close this frickin tab

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Actually, plan b. I'm going to sleep now, and wake up at 6 am and THEN do the essay then. Yeah. That might work. Hopefully.

But I'm sleepy. So nighty night.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yeah ****ing mosaics and other stuff just PILING UP ON ME EACH ****ING TIME

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
ok im out sleepy time i'll wing it and hope I can get this semester over with

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Procrastinating feels like being a self-aware deer standing on train tracks.

"I'll stop here for now, I still have plenty of time to move before the train comes."

*takes a nap*

*wakes up to train horn*

"Ah, it's still a little ways off, no need to move yet."

"STILL GOT PLENTY OF TIME."

"WHY THE HELL DID I PROCRASTINATE THIS, AGAIN?!"

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
I was always under the impression that depression was a holistic construct of multiple emotions. Fatigue, boredom, helplessness, restlessness, anger, distress, loneliness, ect. making it impossible to really categorize as being correlated to any set of major gene sequences.
I agree with you that depression is a mixture of negative emotions. I mean I can tell you from first hand experience that the topic of my depression can be hyper focused on something very specific, but the reason I feel the way I do about that topic is probably because of a variety of emotions I'm feeling at the time being.

NIH cut up 'depressed' people's brains and discovered that the prefrontal cortex was smaller than in the corpses of 'happier' people. Also the area had fewer/smaller neurons (nerve cells) than in the depressed brain. They also discovered that in depressed people there was over-expression of the Gata1 gene sequence which resulted in reduced expression of synapse related genes and decreased connections between neurons.

tl;dr scientists noticed that there is a trend in 'depressed people' that their minds have stunted prefrontal cortex growth due their genes over coding (making) Gata1 that results in deterioration of the cortex. The article implies that the issue is with synapse connections which facilitate passage of neurotransmitters i.e. serotonin that have an important part toward facilitating mood. However...

My take: While this is great and all, the prefrontal cortex is responsible for making executive decisions and complicated thought processes. It is also responsible for controlling us from caving in to self indulgence and instead reorient ourselves to be more task oriented. Neurological issues such as 'ADHD' is also believed to be linked to the prefrontal cortex which leaves an interesting question whether people are depressed due to stunted prefrontal cortex development are that way because they are more likely to struggle in classes, unable to willingly follow a long-term plan, or are unable to resist their base desires and end up neglecting the hard work necessary to get ahead to build a happy life. It could also be the case that more stress is induced in order to remain task oriented which results in a greater production of corticosteroids. Corticosteroids are known for memory loss which makes academic success even harder resulting in depression. After being induced to a state of depression, greater effort needs to be applied resulting in more stress on the subject potentially resulting in a vicious cycle.

NIH article, don't have the lab report.
So does the prefrontal cortex not correspond with positive/negative feedback in anyway?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Whoo. That was mega Buddhist of you Gheb.

Probably coincidence. A buddhist's approach to the subject is quite different to mine.

Self-awareness eliminates depression. You are depressed because you misjudge yourself and your circumstances.

:059:

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
I wish I could explain how to overcome depression, I've been there and now I'm not. I'm not gonna say there's a moment of sudden realization where you "realize you are all you need" and then everything is great but I feel that way now and don't know why. I guess what I'll say is find some things you like to do and stop always focusing on the ****.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698

"I'll stop here for now, I still have plenty of time to move before the train comes."

*takes a nap*

*wakes up to train horn*

****, WHY THE HELL AM I STILL HERE

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352

*takes a nap*

*wakes up to train horn*

Best summary.

FullMetalLynch

anomandaris_rake|orboknown
Find some women to chase.

Makes it easier. And breath real loud too when your right behind them.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
I still can't comprehend how people run multiple miles. I struggle with just one, and I'm not even that out of shape.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Take what you usually run, then slow down. Try to keep that. If you find you have a hard time reaching your goal still, slow down more, but keep running. You're endurance will go up.

Top Bottom