• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I started playing with Dragons Maze and have been hitting it pretty hard. I have a playgroup waiting for me to catch up to the competitive standard level so Im moving as fast as I can.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I have 2.

1 is a Voltron Rafiq. Where pretty much you play Rafiq and win by trying to either one shot them or get enough general damage to end it. It's silly because I try and enchant him as much as I can or play gimiky think like might of oaks which, lol makes Rafiq one shot people.

2nd is Mangara of Condor where you abuse the untap mechanics with his tap ability to RFG a bunch of cards while being a universal answer to anything in play. I made it because my friend made an EDH deck that wins off combo turn 5.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Ive seen Mangara EDH before, gosh so annoying ;-;

Makes me want to get back into Magic though haha. Let's see if I still have some cards left from one of my old decks...

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
that feel when I buy futurama season 7 and some books and movies on amazon, then send the order, then realize literally the one reason I went on amazon in the first place was to buy TDKR and I forgot completely

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Dkr makes me think "diddy kong racing"

btw what's tdkr

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
the dark knight rises

i know that feel ee

i need to order a lot of books and i have the feeling like i wont get off without some random crap i really dont need

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I cave in a lot and buy books I don't need. But I usually finish reading them within a couple of days and return them. Barnes and Nobles has never been a problem so far and in my mind if you aren't negligent with the books, the store can be used as a sort of alternative library for those who have out grown their library and are really book wormy.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
I cave in a lot and buy books I don't need. But I usually finish reading them within a couple of days and return them. Barnes and Nobles has never been a problem so far and in my mind if you aren't negligent with the books, the store can be used as a sort of alternative library for those who have out grown their library and are really book wormy.
You're so cool.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
That sounds like you're using the store for something that it's not supposed to be for, though. Like, that'd be like if I went to a restaurant, ate my food, left without paying, then justified it because I can go over my buddy's house and get a free meal every once in awhile.

I mean, yea, there are places you can go and do the thing you're doing for free, but the place you're doing it at isn't one of them. I guess it's the dumb store's fault for letting you do it, but still.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Yeah I can't... respect the book thing at all. That's depriving rightly earned (by your decision to purchase and then read the book) income from an industry that really needs it. You're sounding like those people who watch a movie at the theatre and then ***** at some minimum wage clerk afterward until they get a manager to give them their money back, then go "free movie lol ******s"

Sure it's less overtly meanspirited in how you go about doing it but that just makes it more underhanded; it's just as bad financially, and the rest of it evens out since people can't really do that everytime they see a movie but apparently you do it many times, or all the time, or whatever when you read a book

/thumbsdown

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
It depends on how much he does purchases books in my opinion. I don't know, as a person of the pirate generation I kind of feel this entitlement to read/listen/watch/etc as much as I want when I do actually pay on a regular basis for things I either want to support or permanently, tangibly own.

Believe me, I'd like to make a living off my ideas and art as much as the next guy, but I honestly don't think art was ever meant to be something that could be sold or traded. Ideas (education, etc) either.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Not being able to live off art is a joke. Then again, everyone has his own definition of art.

I personally don't see an idea with Acrostic's method, tbh, but whatever. I'm more concerned by the fact that he edited his post to sound like 70% cooler.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
It depends entirely on how you define "art". If you're all strict with how you define "art", then yea, I guess it's impossible. If you really think that, though, you may want to rethink your definition of what "art" is. Musicians make a hell of a comfortable living off their art. Even the Penny Arcade guys make a pretty decent living. Michael Bay? Yea, I'm sorry to tell you that what he does for a living is art. Just because it's not good, doesn't make it "not art", and he makes a buttload of money.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Also Xonar,I misinterpreted what you were saying. I thought you were saying that anyone can make a living out of art, regardless of their current art situation.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
like making a living off of artistic mediums is 95% networking skills/contacts/marketing and 5% everything else, inclusive of talent and the actual quality of your output. People who set out to become a painter or an actor or whatever are often mocked, and rightly so, because you might as well say "I wanna be an astronaut" or "I wanna be a member of the Presidential cabinet"

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
To say that a person is "unable to live off of art" is inaccurate, nonetheless. The fact that it's difficult, and even unlikely, is irrelevant to whether or not it's possible. There are, in fact, people who live quite comfortably. They exist.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Show me these people so I feel better about choosing art as a job career.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Well, yeah. I never said you can't... I mean that would be like trying to argue that black holes don't have gravity or something. The mere fact that I bought a bunch of books and movies on Amazon is the proof

I was reacting to your point about Michael Bay etc etc etc. Some people manage it, sure, out of dumb ****in' luck, the right contacts, and maybe some hard work and talent. Or maybe not so much on the last one. But it's not a career path anymore than setting out to win the lottery is

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
The point is that art seldom generates income based on its own merits. So yes, this explains corporate artists like Michael Bay and pop-shot artists like Stephanie Meyer, but it also explains why a lot of real art doesn't get noticed until the artist is dead, if at all. In the broadest sense, choosing to be an artist "for a living" means choosing to be relatively poor.

/software designer
/not really art

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
This is me, except for the reading part, and the returning part. I have mountains of unread and unplayed and unwatched everything.

But really, if you're going to go to all that trouble and tying up of business resources just to facilitate book lending, take a sidestep over to e-books, landlubber. It's more honest, with yourself and with your intent, and you'll just delete the copy when you're done. And then, if you really liked a book, go buy it after the fact and lend it to a friend.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
soup what is your thing? I didn't know you were an artshomo

Graphics Design, working with Photoshop and Illustrator to create things like advertisements and logos. It can be broader than that and I've also designed Menus, CD Covers, etc.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
gonna be vla, going to hospital to check out my right jaw or w/e the **** it is that makes it hard for me to chew. Get sudden pains.

Top Bottom