• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I watched about 6 minutes (until you died).

Things that stand out:

Your reactions seem pretty fake.

Compounded with the above, you say it's a blind run. But fluke your way to the first dungeon and fluke the block puzzles? Seems dubious.

You have a tendency to feel the need to fill empty space with umms and ahhhs. Not every second has to be filled.

On the plus side, your voice is clear and easy to understand.

Problem is, there doesn't seem to be much interesting about your LP. You make some lame jokes about how the graphics are bad, which seem forced given that you're playing an NES game in 2013. Other than that, you're straight up narrating the run.

There was nothing to connect you to us. To be a successful LP'er, you need to connect with your audience, so they have a reason to watch you. Grumps use a duo as their gimmick, as do many LP channels, because being interesting while solo is hard.

I'd recommend you check out BlackLightAttack's Pokemon LPs, as he's a close friend of mine who goes out of his way to connect with his viewers, which is what I was talking about.

Apologies if this comes off as negative, but it was very dry and has a lot of room for improvement. There's potential, though, and I'd start with helping the audience get to know Nabe, so we have a reason to watch. The fact that you chose such a simple game necessitates that, because there's essentially nothing to talk about when it comes to the game itself.

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
The point is for it to seem fake -- I come out (at the end of the video) to admit as much. (Is there a better way to get across that this video is a joke? All I do is hint at it and make it "dubious" as you've said.) Every other thing you talked about is mitigated in later videos in the series (quite a few so far), including over-talking with ums and okays, which were intentional all along.

My humour remains rather dry, as that's me and I've gotten a good amount of laughter out of it in life, so far. I find my humour in this project rests more on strong editing, and in pointing out when content is absurd, or when it's great, which is occasionally the case in amateur fangame stuff.

I have considered redoing this video, as it's the intro to a 10-game series and it's important that I retain audience from it. Maybe a shorter video with cuts would drive home the point of "this is not relevant". Or maybe I should just record a flat two-minute intro video explaining the premise, if the hints don't suffice.

Marshmellowman

Macman|marshy
hey nabe. ive watched the first few videos and enjoyed them. forgive me if some of these observations have been rectified in future vids but i wanna pump out this post of my initial impressions fore i head out cuz i wont be able to view said future videos til later

i thought it was extremely ****ing obvious that you had not only played the game before but were hamming up your reactions to the silliness. you say "i dont think anyone has played legend of zelda on youtube before" and "this is the character zelda of course" within the first minute of the video...i think thats pretty clear cut and you dont need to go out of your way to make it more obvious that its a gorfdamn joke. the internets general awfulness at picking up sarcasm translates not only to text but audio in other words people are gonna miss the point no matter what you do. familiar with ssohpkc? he STILL utilizes humor regarding several of his viewers inability to detect obvious bull**** and hes among the more viewed lpers

id like to see you bull**** about nothing during lulls in the gameplay. i hope that makes sense cuz im having difficulty finding the precise words to convey what im saying. for example back when omni was around he would carry 10 minute shadow of the colossus videos of him roaming around nothingness just cuz he was a funny ass dude. obviously your sense of humor is different but it says something about an lper who can compensate for lack of action during a game by being quickwitted and able to turn what could potentially be a very boring segment into something entertaining. a simple anecdote goes far

have you considered using savestates? the constant beeping indicating low life in the "chewin the fat" video lent itself well to some funny comments by you (i chuckled at "this water and the bad music and the heart beeping is pretty much the worst thing you could possibly be hearing right now") but i think youd agree it overstayed its welcome and idve liked to see you just start over without that noise instead of playing through like 5 minutes of it

the song playing at the beginning of the "wanted dead or alive" video is the melody from the rolling stones song gimme shelter

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Well, that goes to prove my point about viewer retention, then.

I got bored before things became relevant and pointed out. You have like, the first 5 minutes (often less) to hook a viewer, so I'd probably consider making a pre-Video or explaining it in an annotation or something.

#HBC | Nabe

But I'm just bad so mainly that's what it is

Where do I start on this BLA guy? Right here right right? In actuality I've been watching half-videos of this guy since you mentioned him and am not a fan?

Marshy:
- we should **** sometime
- I will bull**** sometime just for you
- There are no savestates but the engine has an option for turning off heart beep
- Someone else clued me in on The Stones but respec
- I'll check out this guys Dark Souls NG+

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
omfg that was awesome. the bit with the voltorb. the bit with the gastly. "how am I supposed to catch them all". amazing.

Also, I see I've been Zen'd.
daaaamn
i don't know what to suggest.

(Or, fondle the butt under my posts)
i don't even know what this is, but i lol'd pretty hard.

D-Games! I'm playing Mystery Dungeon Blue and want to name Pokemon after people.
I was gonna say charizard, but RR, and then?

I don't even know. I see myself in a lot of different pokemon. charizard, becasuse RARR<, pikachu for that kinda happy go lucky enthusiasm, venusaur because that kinda stomping around being grumpy feeling, sudowoodo because it's ok to be a basket case. I used to like dragonair because because sweet damn dragons, man. snorlax because it's ok to be a sleepy motherfunster.

I guess what i'm saying is pick one of the above for use at your discretion.

Rather, I'm expressing my own surprise at the popularity of the franchise when I didn't think the game itself would be so popular and spawn repeat games. What I'm surprised at is the psychology and thought behind the consumer culture more so than the video game itself.
fwiw come the 3rd generation i'd had enough. part of it was growing sick of what I saw as increasingly stupid/recycled pokemon, part of it was having no enthusiasm for what felt like tacked-on aspects that had been added (poke contests, growing berries, etc.).
I think the success of pokemon lies mostly in being an accessible and inviting RPG that lets personalize your approach in so far as you feel it is your game through the different choices it allows you to make (which starter pokemon do you want?). the game isn't going to be overly challenging. it's story isn't going to be gripping. it's essentially an archetype that ninty perfected within the first or second generation of games, where you get to be the hero, exploring and overcoming the world around you with a bunch of pokepals.
that people still buy the games does kinda confound me; i'm the sort of gamer, who, having seen the limits of a game or a genre, grows bored with the whole thing (except when nostalgia strikes)/ But I know people who have played through every single generation without growing tired of it, and I don't think they're crazy. I just think that they're playing them because it is something fun to do. whether those games are noticeably any different isn't really important, because the formula is sound. I want to draw an analogy with a band whose songs all sound the same; for some people, that's going to be a huge turn-off. Some people just don't care, because they like that sound.

I'm over-labouring the point now. But i've damn typed the thing I might as well post it.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I clicked into this thread knowing that Zen was the last person to post in it, and yet, somehow I still saw the avatar first and was like "oh cool jerkus is on"

**** you zen :mad:

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
and haha the fake first boss was the best part. Never played the original LOZ so when the poor, randomly attacked townsperson actually attacked Nabe right back I lost my ****

Marshmellowman

Macman|marshy
Well, that goes to prove my point about viewer retention, then.
lmfao

dude...i think you just absorbed nabes comment about viewer retention into your own being. you made NO POINT about that. that was HIS comment behind dumbing down the obvious factor in response to his humor flying miles over your head

he prefaces the video saying that he doesnt think anyone has ever played the game on ytube while legend of zelda is flashing across the screen

LEGEND OF ZELDA. ONE OF THE HIGHEST SELLING VIDEO GAME FRANCHISES. AND HES SAYING NO ONE HAS PLAYED IT ON YOUTUBE. AND CALLING THE PLAYABLE CHARACTER ZELDA DESPITE ONE OF THE PRIOR SCREENS BEFORE LITERALLY JUST SAYING THAT ZELDA IS A PRINCESS

like...what the **** raz? does nabe seriously have to make his videos worse to pander to people who cant make a simple logical conclusion off a minute (this is 4 minutes less than the required hook time you are speaking about) and sacrifice subtlety which is oh so rare on youtube?

how is getting bored before "things become relevant" even supposed to mean? relevant to what? youre talking about his reactions being fake and questioning him contradicting himself and filling empty space with awkward language (which is all blatantly part of the humor) and you just come in here hardbody shirking responsibility and saying youre bored? is this supposed to be constructive criticism?

one of the WORST posts of 2013 and we just got through a temple stabbingly bad discussion about ****ing pogeymans not being realistic

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
btw nabe do you keep up that "male valley girl" humor/tone in the other videos or was it just for the first one? Honestly if just the first one I'm a little disappointed because it really made the vid for me. Being all airy and bemused and dim about everything really just killed me, laughed so hard at "yep, that's definitely the first boss *attacks civilian* "

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Marshy completely misinterpreted what I said, but damned if I'm going to type a lengthy post on a phone. Get to it later, probably.

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
That's how I feel about most lets plays. I don't know if they're actually that bad or purposely that bad.

Edit: Unless you're talking about something else.

#HBC | Nabe

btw nabe do you keep up that "male valley girl" humor/tone in the other videos or was it just for the first one? Honestly if just the first one I'm a little disappointed because it really made the vid for me. Being all airy and bemused and dim about everything really just killed me, laughed so hard at "yep, that's definitely the first boss *attacks civilian* "
No, sorry, babe. If it makes you feel better, I don't play competently.

omg nabe as someone who used zelda classic to make a balls-to-the-walls hard fangame that was painful to watch

;--;

Also you should send me that

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
D-Games! I'm playing Mystery Dungeon Blue and want to name Pokemon after people.

What's your favorite (386) Pokemon?

Can't do duplicates, so taken already:
Torchic (Partner), Eevee (Starter)

Ryker - Hitmonchan
Armor - Larvitar
Juu - Sandslash
Raziek - Absol
PJB - Medicham
Soup - Heracross or Gengar
Arcanine

**** outta here, gheb.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
I had a weird kind of lucid moment this morning where I realised Acro might be trolling. It's not what I normally think about while I have breakfast.

remember when people played video games for fun
#nostalgia2013

I think Gova already answered this, though.

Now, do you remember when videogames were good?

:chuckle:

almost finished the setup for my small. **** is going to be hype. and dope. amongst other things.

:pikachu:

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Better than your weeaboo crap tbh.

:059:
We go live over to KevinM who's at the crime scene.

-cue 3 second delay of me starting deep into the camera women faint instantaneously-

That's right Tim looks like over on the corner of Salt and Dgames Avenue we have yet another report of shots being fired. No words on who the suspects are but we've got multiple witnesses.. going live over to Ryker who was there at the crime scene when the shots did indeed get fired.

Ryker how do you feel about what has just transpired?

"I'm kinda scared to be on the streets Kev, just walking along and then I head a single shot.. followed by three in rapid succession."

Do you feel safe coming into the Dgames social thread knowing this sort of violence is prevalent?

I know I for one am pushing for an increase in security on this heavily populated area right next to our most used salt factory.

Top Bottom