• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Marshy, its not a Ghibli movie but DAMN watch Redline. It was SEVEN YEARS in production and EVERY FRAME IS HANDDRAWN. It is also really baller. Like 80mins iirc? Id say buy the bluray just because you want to see this stuff in MAX quality, but my comp could take it in1080p etcetc max qual.

Eye sex.

:phone:

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
xonar i will watch that **** THIS weekend if you make a gif of 1:54-2:02 of that crazy japanese dance with the guy thrusting in the elevator of that vid you posted earlier. i mean ill end up watching it anyway but man that gif would be the t its

appreciate the recommendations btw. give nausicaa of the valley of the wind a watch if you havent already. it doesnt seem to be talked about as much as his other films and whether thats due to it being an older film or not his magnum opus or some other reason i cant say but it does deserve a chance

also while typing this post my autocorrect came up with "sonar" as a recommended spelling for xonars name and the butchered pronunciation packaged with that left me looking like straight :salt: :glare:

:mad079: :mad079: :mad079: :cool088:

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect

made it already

I'll make one without the speedup and try to find a site that allows me to upload big files.

also that sunglasses grimer is QUALITY LOOOL

scroll down

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I'd also like to note that both of Hiyazaki's "masterpieces" have male main characters :awesome:
and are also his only works with male main characters

**** women :mad:

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
Spirited Away?

Most people would agree that Miyazaki's best work was either Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke.

One male protagonist, one female.

Spirited Away out of all of them is my personnal favorite (I've seen it like 3 or 4 times). It's been awhile though since I've seen the others, so I'll probably have to give them another watch.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Spirited Away is not seen as his best work by movie critics. It's Porco Rosso or Princess Mononoke.
Back this up. There's pretty much consensus on Princess Mononoke being a masterpiece, and that's mostly because it was such a huge critical and commercial success for Japanese films (and not just animated ones, or ones produced by Studio Ghibli). Spirited Away tends to be lumped alongside it, as it was also such a success following Mononoke and seems to be particularly beloved and accessible to western audiences, which makes it worth recommending. People who have actually seen Porco Rosso tend to love it, like plenty of Miyazaki's "deep cuts," but I don't ever see it mentioned on any Best Of lists for Miyazaki movies. Whereas Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away tend to get the "one of the best animated movies OF ALL TIME. kanyewest.gif" treatment.

Why aren't you swimming in *****?

Ramen King

Smash Cadet
V/LA: Will be without internet next 4 days.

Porco Rosso was a nice one too. The version I watched was a little strange though. I think it was an incomplete dub over. I actually don't think there was a movie I didn't like. I've think I've seen all of them other than the most recent one.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has seen Pom Pokko? So far I haven't come across anyone else who has seen it... it's... intriguing...

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Back this up. There's pretty much consensus on Princess Mononoke being a masterpiece, and that's mostly because it was such a huge critical and commercial success for Japanese films (and not just animated ones, or ones produced by Studio Ghibli). Spirited Away tends to be lumped alongside it, as it was also such a success following Mononoke and seems to be particularly beloved and accessible to western audiences, which makes it worth recommending. People who have actually seen Porco Rosso tend to love it, like plenty of Miyazaki's "deep cuts," but I don't ever see it mentioned on any Best Of lists for Miyazaki movies. Whereas Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away tend to get the "one of the best animated movies OF ALL TIME. kanyewest.gif" treatment.[/img]
I lost my source for this :/ I was looking for it just a week ago too.

I do remember it noting that Spirited Away is mainly liked in the western audience, and, while liked, less omgsog0000dd in Japan. Porco Rosso is also his personal favorite of his work.

I'll keep lookin'.

Ramen King

Smash Cadet
Yes this yes.

Or reverse it, whatever. But those two.
I actually think the order is important in a back to back setting. I feel like if he watches Mononoke first, SA may not meet his expectations. But that wont likely be the case in reverse.

Also @ Nabe: That's actually what I love a lot with his movies. It leaves a lot open for imagination. As compared to many modern animations and films that shove everything you should be feeling at every second down your throat. Many of his movies, and Spirited Away in particular, aren't told in the traditional story structure: Exposition, Rising Action, Climax and so on. It's more of a real time experience in a way that isn't really centralized around a preset structure.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Back this up. There's pretty much consensus on Princess Mononoke being a masterpiece, and that's mostly because it was such a huge critical and commercial success for Japanese films (and not just animated ones, or ones produced by Studio Ghibli). Spirited Away tends to be lumped alongside it, as it was also such a success following Mononoke and seems to be particularly beloved and accessible to western audiences, which makes it worth recommending. People who have actually seen Porco Rosso tend to love it, like plenty of Miyazaki's "deep cuts," but I don't ever see it mentioned on any Best Of lists for Miyazaki movies. Whereas Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away tend to get the "one of the best animated movies OF ALL TIME. kanyewest.gif" treatment.
Hey, I'ma let you finish, but but Pokemon: The First Movie is one of the best animated movies OF ALL TIME.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
It went fine thanks for asking

also yeah I went to sleep then you [redacted]

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Question for Xonar:

Yosuke, Yu, Ahkiko, maaaaaaaybe Lizzie, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe Manji.

What do?
PLEASE play Brosuke and use him correctly. I swear everyone is all like "YEAH HIS COMBOS DON'T END IN OKI" well gee you ****ing scrubnub maybe you're using the wrong ****ing combos?

Plus Brosuke is something you'd really like. Esp if he gets his movement speed boost and stuff. He's mean and for as far as I know, really fun to play.

Yu is a great character but meh. I don't like those characters that spend all their time in one zone (mid, in this case)

Akihiko is cool and pretty much your manly alternative if Kanji's muscles are just too much.

Lizzie is a ***** :mad: she's cute in the game though

so yeah play Brosuke.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I've watched all goddamn pokemon movies in one sitting a while back

and they all lost any resemblance of good plot after the first one

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
As much as I love pokemon 2000 and the Entei one, Pokemon the 1st is really the best. I almost forgot how good it is.
Icryeverytime

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Who Posted?
Total Posts: 23,622
User Name Posts
Ryker 1,024
Xonar 1,024

wow just checked it

bye ryker
joey, I have completed my mission

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
PLEASE play Brosuke and use him correctly. I swear everyone is all like "YEAH HIS COMBOS DON'T END IN OKI" well gee you ****ing scrubnub maybe you're using the wrong ****ing combos?

Plus Brosuke is something you'd really like. Esp if he gets his movement speed boost and stuff. He's mean and for as far as I know, really fun to play.

Yu is a great character but meh. I don't like those characters that spend all their time in one zone (mid, in this case)

Akihiko is cool and pretty much your manly alternative if Kanji's muscles are just too much.

Lizzie is a ***** :mad: she's cute in the game though

so yeah play Brosuke.
I kept watching the one Yosuke player that was in the rotation at a NorCal stream yesterday. I kept looking at how his combos worked and thinking, "OH MY GOD, WHY AREN'T YOU RESETTING HIM EVERY ****ING COMBO!?" 5Acidbro's Ahkiko kinda just beat up on kids because he was so far ahead in lab time on top of being a good character in his comfort zone with character selection. Yu is Jin and also Wipe Moisture Patchy, both of whom I enjoy. Lizzie is interesting. I don't think I have the muscles to be Kanji.

Yosuke is probably the character I'll play first. If I put in the time, I will likely stick with him. If I get caught in the fact that I'll do better with Yu at first, that's who I'll play.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Yu is NOT Jin. :v
I'd play Yu if he was Jin, but he's not. The only way he can get a projectile out is with his persona (which leaves him very vulnerable for persona breaks) and he gets outboxed really easily. This isn't goddamn Blazblue where you have like 20 buttons to press at any given time. Yu spends all his time in midzone. Long range too risky, short range too limited.

Yu is a lot easier than Yosuke though, but I'd still go Yosuke. His resets are dumb. From semi teleports to instant overheads to panic/nopanic and more.

He also has god tier mobility. I'm sticking to Yukiko though, probably. Maybe Mitsuru (Mitsuru is actually closer to Jin, I'd say). Maaaaaybe Yu. I haven't even looked at Teddie yet, so who knows.

edit: Yu also lacks a lot of options that Jin has. 5D? 2D? Hells to the no.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Xonar he's gonna catch up now why did you say anything QQ

How do you even hate Heroes? It was so good ;-;.
mademecrymorethan1

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Just a question, you think you'll take off and leave me behind like we've left everyone else?

Yu is not Jin. They're the same in concept. Jin's projectiles suck *** anyway as a projectile and you won't be getting one out outside of burning heat or KD Oki (or both). You still want to play the strong neutral game you obtain at midrange and then reset to that situation when you get a look you don't like and repeat until you win.

Mitsuru looks dumb. Not a chance.

#HBC | ѕoup

The 1st movie is really cheesy but I still love it anyways, Entei one and 2000 are pretty good also. Haven't seen any other pokemon movies besides that.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Oh no baby, we're reaching the top together!

And no, Jin's projectiles are pretty good. Maybe not in the later installments, because BB moved to a more aggressive game as a whole, but they used to be as staple as staple gets. They set up traps, pressure opponents, surprise etcetera. It forces an approach.

Jin can stick around long range, mid range and close range. Yu simply can't.

Like, I can see that there's probably simply a different way you like Jin than me, but hell, Yu is not Jin :mad:

#HBC | ѕoup

You call the first one cheesy but don't note the Entei movie?

The Entei movie is the very definition of cheesy, haha.
Okay, maybe they're all cheesy, I'm starting to recall the end of 2000...

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
God, I love your posts sometimes.

Jin's projectiles in CT were shiiiiiiiiiiiiit because the good characters would beat your *** down if you didn't find your optimal range. Nu/Lambda have been his worst MU forever because they can out range his mid range game. Both his 25 heat projectiles are great, but not from range. J236D was AMAZING air to air and in combos. 236D and even heatless variants were good at Oki set-ups. Get a 236D out in the corner, break a guard primer, get a shot at mix-up? Yes please. From range though? Everyone else with a projectile pastes you (save Noel, ****ing Optic Barrel). The ones that don't have one, can approach past it just fine. If they don't want to commit to an approach from over your projectile, they don't even have to hard engage when they can just vie for position past it.

I will give you that he can handle ranges better because you're right from what I've seen thus far, but I stand by my comparison.

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
I'm a little late, but on the topic of Miyazaki films, I recommend The Secret World of Arriety. It's a great movie, based off the book "The Borrowers."

Top Bottom