• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Vinyl that's a pretty horrendous diet, unless you've made a habit of just stuffing your face when you're literally not even a little hungry.

Ideal diet for weight loss (which you've implied there) is 3 meals under a certain amount of calories (depending on your weight and what you wanna lose) and a couple of snacks under an even lesser amount. This spaces out your body's digestion of food chemicals and such.

If you force yourself to wait and wait until you can't take it anymore and finally eat your body's almost certainly going to start storing fat because it thinks you're in some kind of cave man famine situation.

Now it's possible you didn't communicate it too clearly and this is some professionally designed diet, but you said "my own custom diet" which tells me you made it up for yourself thinking "ah but if I only eat once a day (or whatever) I will lose all of the weight".

Eat 3 meals, eat 2 snacks. Look stuff up online to see what a good calorie cutter would be for you. Also if you plateau there you can ask Praxis about keto which despite taking the diet thang a step farther literally lets you eat bacon and cheese all day every day.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
/another humen saved

Also if FLC mafia ever ****ing starts oh my god -- note that midterms are right around the corner and this year is esp brutal for me schoolwise. But it's over in april so the game'll probably still be afoot by the time I'm out. I'll try to be Lost Almost-Mafia active but it might not happen. Don't be hatin'.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Hm, I just eat when I'm hungry. I even had a few snacks.

I wasn't specificallly saying that I would eat once a day or at starved.

Just bringing up that if I start getting hungry, I'd eat a good amount of it.

John2k4

The End of an Era
Hm, I just eat when I'm hungry. I even had a few snacks.

I wasn't specificallly saying that I would eat once a day or at starved.

Just bringing up that if I start getting hungry, I'd eat a good amount of it.
That sounds more like the eat whenever kind of thing, instead of diet...

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I eat what I want, when I want, and I've been hovering around 165 pounds for years now.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Vinyl that's a pretty horrendous diet, unless you've made a habit of just stuffing your face when you're literally not even a little hungry.

Ideal diet for weight loss (which you've implied there) is 3 meals under a certain amount of calories (depending on your weight and what you wanna lose) and a couple of snacks under an even lesser amount. This spaces out your body's digestion of food chemicals and such.

If you force yourself to wait and wait until you can't take it anymore and finally eat your body's almost certainly going to start storing fat because it thinks you're in some kind of cave man famine situation.

Now it's possible you didn't communicate it too clearly and this is some professionally designed diet, but you said "my own custom diet" which tells me you made it up for yourself thinking "ah but if I only eat once a day (or whatever) I will lose all of the weight".

Eat 3 meals, eat 2 snacks. Look stuff up online to see what a good calorie cutter would be for you. Also if you plateau there you can ask Praxis about keto which despite taking the diet thang a step farther literally lets you eat bacon and cheese all day every day.
I currently weigh 129 lbs; I eat once a day on average, and my calorie intake is all over the map.

The idea that your body goes into starvation mode is a myth.

Your only consistent diet you're going to be able to understand without some super extensive testing done is the law of conservation of energy.

Energy in, energy out. Your body can't magically "create" fat; it has to come from somewhere.

You need a certain amount to have bodily functions. If you need 2,000 to maintain weight and only eat 1,500, you'll lose a pound a week (these are fake numbers).

Now if you undereat your metabolism WILL slow down slightly; lowering your calorie intake to 1000 or 500 wouldn't necessarily get you a consistent 2 or 3 lbs. of weight loss a week in the above example. But this isn't permanent, and it's only in extreme situations. Skipping breakfast isn't going to put you in starvation mode. I generally don't eat breakfast or lunch and just eat dinner, and I lose weight.

Energy in, energy out. If you body needs a certain amount of calories to maintain your weight (i.e., to function) and you go below that amount your body doesn't say "****! Better store fat."

It says "****! Better start taking out glycogen reserves and not filling them up all the way. I guess we should start breaking down fat too." There's no reason a starving body would choose to store more energy rather than straight up use it right away.

Now if you eat your 2,000 calories all at once and your body can't use it, you're either excreting those calories as waste or they are converting to fat. But if you're basically starving yourself you're not going to suddenly see an increase in weight gain but rather a rapid decrease.

Now if you starve yourself to the point of a lower metabolic rate (think like 600 calories a day) and then eat a ton you might gain some weight, but the lower metabolic rate isn't permanent in the slightest. Generally most of the people that "starve" themselves just end up over eating and eat more calories overall.

Granted your body WILL eat muscle mass as well as fat. As long as you're okay with that, simply not eating will work out if you're looking to lose weight.

I'm just more concerned with saving money. Food is expensive.

TL;DR

Conservation of energy rules. You take away your bodies ability to make fat, it can't make fat. If your body is starving, it starts eating fat and muscle mass and you start getting tired often and can't concentrate as well because your glycogen stores in your noggin' are all gone and ditto to your muscles.

Want to really lose weight? Sprint. Sprint as long and as fast as you can so you just practically collapse, and this will fill your legs with that burnin' lactic acid and your legs will start consuming your reserves almost immediately and your heart will start pounding. Wait about a minute to two minutes, less if you are fit, then sprint again as long and as fast as you can.

On top of that, eat slightly less. You'll lose weight very quickly because any new calories that come in are spent filling up reserves in addition to bodily functions. Much more effective (time wise) than a long exercise regimen and a careful diet.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Is it just me or does Sworddancer get indie roles a lot?
I think G3S was his first time ever, and I don't remember him getting indy in any other occasion.
god am I bored, I got my results back for english listening test, 8.9/10. Just made a 100min test, finished in 40, writing test english. It's so easy <3

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Oh word OS is still on this site? I really want to play one of his mafia games again soon lol
FF Tactics is going on right now. It's messing with my mind, seriously. After my next Large (OS All-Stars Mafia :D) I'm definitely going to be looking at more simple games. My eyes are trying to crawl out of my skull and I know I'm going to make some mod error somewhere o_o

Playing mafia is easy in comparison to modding my games.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Energy in, energy out. Your body can't magically "create" fat; it has to come from somewhere.

You need a certain amount to have bodily functions. If you need 2,000 to maintain weight and only eat 1,500, you'll lose a pound a week (these are fake numbers).
I strongly disagree with this, actually, and would love to debate it with you. Calories in/calories out model is way too simplified for practicality. The body's fat storage is mostly controlled by hormones in the same way that growth is.

A kid eats more because he has hormones telling his body to grow, and feels hunger as a response to that growth, and eats in response to the hunger. Similarly, if a person's body is hormonally telling them to store, they will store, and their body will tell them to eat.

The body's metabolism is capable of ramping up to burn excess calories to a limited degree if it is not trying to store, and similarly slowing down to conserve if it is trying to store. If your body is hormonally trying to store food, undereating by a small number of calories will not cause weight loss. The body can lower body heat, encourage you to be sluggish, etc. If this is the case, you can only lose weight by:

(A) Ignoring all body impulses and maintaining a significant calorie deficit, not eating when you're hungry, etc

or

(B) Finding a way to get your body to stop storing.

The problem with (A) is simple: if your body is trying to conserve, it will go to fat reserves last. You will sit there starving your muscles before the body goes to the fat reserves. You have to work out just to keep your muscles from degrading, and working out will make you even hungrier, which you have to fight more.

My solution was (B). There's lots of hormones that control fat storage- testosterone/estrogen among them- but insulin is one of the biggest factors. The point of insulin is to make the body store everything it can to get blood sugar down. When blood sugar spikes, insulin puts your body in full on storage mode, and you get hungry again faster because you didn't use most of the calories taken in. A ketogenic diet is designed to eliminate the storage response of insulin as much as possible- and guess what? People on a keto diet find it almost impossible to gain weight.

This guy on the Reddit keto board demonstrated it by eating >3000 calories a day- on purpose, for a week- and lost eight pounds. All meals logged.

This guy on a carnivore board force fed himself ~4000 calories a day (averaging 3800) for one month and did not gain a single pound.

This doesn't violate thermodynamics, but it demonstrates how poor the calories in/out model is. By eating a diet that minimizes hormonal storage responses from the body, the body ramps up its metabolism to burn any excesses and goes directly to fat reserves for any deficit without complaint. The diet is explicitly muscle sparing (it eliminates all storage response) and people tend to gain muscle easily with any workout while on the diet (I've gained significantly, first time with arm definition!).

IMO, this is actually the most feasible way to lose weight. I've done calorie counting, I've watched my roommate lose all his muscle mass along with 80 pounds calorie counting. Keto works better, for health, muscle strength, and lifestyle (I never deal with hunger, I eat whenever hungry because, as my body is not storing anything, my hunger is directly correlated with what my body needs).

As a side note- everyone has different sensitivity to insulin. People who are resistant to insulin have bodies that produce far more insulin to react to the same amount of blood sugars. For a person who has normal insulin sensitivity, calorie counting is pretty easy to do; the body does not go in to storage mode easily. For an overweight person, eating the same amount of sugar/grains produces a much stronger storage reaction.

This is why skinny people always think it's so easy to just count your calories; they don't get the same hunger cravings from eating the same food, because their bodies are not hormonally trying to store everything, and fat people must just have poor willpower.

Obviously, if you starve yourself, you will lose weight; I'm arguing that if you eat poor food choices, it will:
* Go slower than the calorie math would predict, because the body will try to store and lower metabolism
* Cost you your muscle mass first before going to fat reserves
* Leave you feeling constantly tired and drained and hungry
* If you ever start satisfying your hunger again, you will regain the weight much quicker than you lost it

And I feel that the above simply makes it impractical, though not impossible (like I said; my roommate did it. 80 pounds over 8 months, all muscle mass lost, constantly feeling sluggish and drained).

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I'm always around SWF, just not DG as much. Once I get caught up in everything I'd love to play another game (but uhg I need to catch up in the adventure game I'm in).

Man I would love for OS to make another BBR game. Though he should host it public w/ private sign ups in DG so everyone can watch how BBR members play lol. FF6 mafia is still one of my favorites, despite everything being mind numbingly difficult and bs lmao.

btw Praxis when you first posted about your diet I decided to rock it out. I've tried a few differ ones and none of them worked on me at all, but what you did has been working awesome.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
So, praxis actually posting in dgames, is this the end of the world?
All you have to do is post something about dieting or whatever, I think he namesearches it :p

But really, it's interesting. It's odd how our own bodies are one of the most complicated/mysterious things to us. Even with all the benefits Praxis' mentioned eating habits have, such as losing weight without losing muscle, surely there are some drawbacks?
I know GHneko posted on facebook about doing pretty much this exact diet: meat like bacon, cheese, some veggies etc. and lost weight, and someone was like "AH WATCH YOUR SODIUM INTAKE THIS IS BAD FOR YOU"

I would totally do this diet if I needed to lose weight. Hell, I might try it anyway, it would complement my working out. Would it be beneficial to try for a week or two?
Would I have to give up cereal in the morning? :c

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Good answer. It seems GHneko beat me to the joke.

So.

I have a great hydra name.

Obv.

Repairmanmanmanmanmanmanmanmanman.

Who would wanna hydra as that? :3

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
You'll feel like crap for the first few days, so I'd shoot for two weeks, but I've known some bodybuilders who use it to get body fat way down. Check out this guy:
http://waroninsulin.com/how-a-low-carb-diet-affected-my-athletic-performance

Seems like it lowered his "burst" performance slightly but increased his endurance performance. (Also, eliminated his gut fat)

And I admit to occasional namesearching...:3

Also, actually, forget the sodium intake crap.

The diuretic (dehydrating) nature of ketosis causes an excretion of three of the body’s primary electrolytes: sodium, potassium, and magnesium (31,40). These three minerals are involved in many processes in the body, one of which is the regulation of muscle contraction, including the heart. Some studies show a net loss of calcium while others do not (31).
"The Ketogenic Diet" by Lyle McDonald, page 79.
You actually are supposed to increase salt intake (as well as potassium and magnesium...spinach and avocado are good sources for that, or a supplement) on keto, don't avoid it. Also, drink like twice as much water. Both mild magnesium and potassium deficiencies have fatigue and muscle weakness as symptoms. That's what the veggies are for.

I don't stress about it, but I do use a lot of salt and if I ever feel crappy I eat more veggies (I always keep broccoli, kale, avocado, or spinach around) and feel great.

EDIT: Happy fun link time!

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=its-time-to-end-the-war-on-salt < Scientific American article
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/08/15/lets-put-stop-to-war-on-salt/ Fox News (ick) article based on the Scientific American article
http://lifehacker.com/5820697/why-low+sodium-diets-might-not-really-be-better-for-your-heart
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...tionblog+(The+Blog+of+Michael+R.+Eades,+M.D.)
Salt your food more. Increasing sodium is just another one of the many counter-intuitive things about low-carb dieting. Just like eating more fat to lower your cholesterol. You’ve got to start thinking differently. The low-carb diet is one that absolutely requires more sodium. A lot more sodium.

Top Bottom