• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
well if it aint the goat. hype to see you in the game

sorry about the job loss, that sucks

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
@Marshy: Late Day 3 I also noted Rockin's consistently good opinion of me, and I talked about it to Macman and compared it to Gheb's consistently good opinion of KevinM. I also called Roxkin out on accusing Riddle of behavior that applied to me as well but said I was town and Riddle was scummy. I'm sure you'll see both of those in your rereads.

I want a massclaim. I am a one shot anytime vigilante. I am gong to take my shot during the day toDay, and it does not end the Day.
6 posts later:

I'll claim too. I'm Redd White, the one-shot vig. At any time i can choose to slam a statue clock into someone's head. I aimed for Rockin on N2 but the kill did not go through. It is likely that he roleblocked me.
lmfao

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yo Xivii, I just got 1:16 on this game.

I thought that once I hit 1 minute I'd be done, but evidently I still play it

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
I graduated today. I officially have a Masters of Theological Studies. Man alive I’m glad to be done!

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I graduated today. I officially have a Masters of Theological Studies. Man alive I’m glad to be done!
YOOO congrats Pythag! Whenever the world is done ending we should hang out again to celebrate.

Last edited:

giraffelasergun

Smash Lord
Congrats Dude! Are you more interested in the practice of religion or the academic side of it?

Also congrats to everyone else who is graduating around this time!

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
YOOO congrats Pythag! Whenever the world is done ending we should hang out again to celebrate.
Yeah we will! Honestly it’ll have to be soon, I might be moving back to MD!

Congrats Dude! Are you more interested in the practice of religion or the academic side of it?

Also congrats to everyone else who is graduating around this time!
Definitely more the practice. My dads a pastor, I worked as a missionary, my faith is important to me! The academic side is kinda fun, but I care more about the practice for sure

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Was doing a lot of re-reading of old games to try to pinpoint all of the mistakes made by me (and sometimes others); y'all remember when I fakeclaimed tracker when I was VT because I was paranoid that Ryker was using me as scum? I can't even remember what I was trying to get out of that lol

Maven89

Smash Master
No offense to Bard and I wish he’d return, but my favorite fakeclaim was when Bard was cop, and faked a guilty on a person he was suspicious of but never investigated. The guy was town and Bard was lynched

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
No offense to Bard and I wish he’d return, but my favorite fakeclaim was when Bard was cop, and faked a guilty on a person he was suspicious of but never investigated. The guy was town and Bard was lynched
Xivii was cop in Sorcerer's but investigated the NK target, so they fakeclaimed a guilty on Z25 and ended up being right

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Daaamn such a brutal misplay

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
so they lynched the townie first and then Bard after? oof

wonder where he got that idea from.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
There's probably better people to write this out, but here goes :

Drab_Emordnilap I think was the first guy to host a mafia game back here (in 2006? 2007?), that was even before we had 'Decisive Games' (also before I was even a member)
He hosted a Smashbrothers flavored mafia, which I'm pretty sure mafia won because he made NaNa and PoPo masons, but one of them was also mafia.
It was one of the few times I remember actually enjoying reading flavor.

I just remember one death was like
"SCREEEEEETCH" the sound of a homerun bat echos in the night as Spire (Ness, Vanilla Townie) Is sent hurtling off of Final Destination to his untimely death.

Sadly It was before the site got archived, so you can't even read it anymore.

I remember he discussed it 'relatively' recently about how jank his setup was and how he didn't know what he was doing, but he really created quite a tradition here that so many people latched on to.

From that others started hosting their own mafia games..

I'm trying to remember all the people
Smashman, camoman, epicyoshi? mentosman, Eor, McFox...other people from the Broom....I'm struggling for names here. FrozenFlame, Tom, Marshy, Mr. Lombardi, they were some of the usual crew that would be playing mafia. Different people would host. The games got so popular that, I can't remember who it was, maybe Tom, Eor, or EE that decided to create a specific area for these types of games, so that they wouldn't be in the 'count to 1000000 without the mods interrupting' style games.

The setups were still pretty standard, I don't recall any super duper crazy games, I think we were all just kinda learning together about the game, but that could just be my perspective. I was amazed at how each game was getting different and was typically surprised at how people that would host the games would bring different twists in the setup. Just to show you how basic it was, I remember the first time playing with a Godfather and being like, wait, WHAT? Mafia that's immune to a cop???

The interest in Mafia style games led to Eor hosting 'The Thing', Which was the first Adventure Game I had ever seen back here. It was so cool to read through, it was mafia combined with actions, not just discussion! Players had a lot more agency. He made a map and everything. I remember him putting a link out there as well as other forums were talking about the game he was hosting.

He did two zombie Agames (adventure games) that never quite finished (maybe partially because he got banned), but I remember those bringing in a lot of new people.
EE hosted The Fog, and then his Magnum Opus was Batman: We Own the Night. He would do this while still leveling people at mafia.

Agames were typically played through AIM, and only major posts would be done in the game thread. I think there were some attempts at mafia in AIM but I never participated in those.

So for a hot minute, Dgames was hopping with so many games.

That's about all I know of, because after EE's AGameI graduated college and spent the next 3 years in Thailand, and I was pretty absent from Smashboards in general, but it looks like there were still some relatively constant mafia playing going on back here.
When I made my return to the forum it was like...completely new people. And now there are other transplants from other forums! Fun stuff.

if anyone wants to correct me on any of that let me know, that's all I can really remember.
some other info

- the first game was by drab emordnilap. the second game was by thedocsalive. these games were hosted in "forum games" before dgames existed. drab was the mod of forum games
- some prominent old school players were the above two, frozenflame, eorlingas, ronike, camoman, pythag. some other ppl who were around here and there were me, medi, kevinm, prob others im forgetting, this is "pre dgames generation/og generation"
- in 2008 eor got the green light to make a room dedicated to mafia and adventure games, birthing dgames. at this point he is the mod and he chooses tom to co moderate with him
- tom takes the torch and oversees the boom in dgames, hosting "back to basics" simple mafia setups to get people playing mafia in the new room
- some people who were active around that time were macman, jungle, rockin, me, kevinm, chaco, mentosman, handorin, gheb, etc. this is "first generation dgames"
- at a certain point tom is away due to irl stuff, he mods me
- i mod for a while. a bunch of **** happens but i forget, lots of games. i mod sold2
- for a time the mods are like me, xiivi (not zen -_-. xiivi was an admin so he spent a lot of time here), sold2. players like ryker, swiss, mac, omni, kataefi, vanderzant, adumbrodeus, cello marl, nicholas1024, j are active. this is "second generation dgames" which is the biggest group
- i leave and sold2 mods raziek. theres a "ryker era" where he and swiss become the most dominant players, dgames starts meeting on skype or something
- the above players stay active and you have some other ppl who are there as the meta morphs like th3kuzinator, gorf, sworddancer, nabe, overswarm, circus, laundry, jtb, raziek, zen, bardull, ranmaru, july, red ryu, rajam, it was a very fun time, colorful games and personalities, this is probably what ppl most remember
- overswarm becomes the rooms favorite host. he hosts a bunch of role madness games which we really had a lot of fun with
- xiivi departs, sold2 departs, i come back and am remodded. the mods are me and raziek. j gets modded for a season
- the meta morphs but it is a pretty fun time, lots of the above players and a whole bunch of others i forget are active
- at a certain point dgames dies, hard to pinpoint why, prolly just everyone grew up and moved on
- nzoners come, bardull is mod. the room becomes a weird mesh of dgames and much faster-paced games with role madness mechanics, i guess this is "third generation dgames"
- nzoners go
- were now a melting pot of dgames and hav players from xkcd, mafia colosseum, prolly some others
- mod timeline: drab emordnilap -> eorlingas -> tom -> marshy -> xiivi (admin) -> sold2 -> red ryu (smod) -> raziek -> j -> bardull -> thirdkoopa -> giraffelasergun -> moydow (admin) -> pokechu

i left a ****ton out due to memory. these are broad strokes and i didnt do it full justice but you could write a book on it cuz this really has a rich history. a lot of the ppl who grew up in it look back on it fondly, it was a great community with some epic af games. this is hopefully loosely accurate and/or enough to get a sense of whats happened. this room had some epic times and i think many of the games that were played here were among the most enjoyable mafia experiences anywhere
These are impressively good cliffnotes accounts of the history of this place, I think went through like three distinct phases of nostalgia just reading these posts lmao what a throwback. It's amazing how inextricably linked getting into competitive melee, and picking this game up just by virtue of mere adjacency to melee and my curiosity to browse old school SWF, are to some of my most formative years in high school thru to college. Like I literally ****ing grew into adulthood with Dgames being an ever present slice of what I valued and came back to again and again to have fun with people who I genuinely enjoyed interacting with in earnest. It's hard to overstate how impactful being part of this community was on my personal development

i love it when people come out of the woodwork back to this place. puts a smile on my face.
Every once in awhile, like now, it's like a little reminder goes off in my head telling me to go check what's happening in dgames, see who might be back to shoot the **** with the old homies. Coming back and actually seeing people I'd never have expected to hear from again seemingly having that same curiosity warms my soul

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
#HBC | FrozeηFlame #HBC | FrozeηFlame another weird thing I’ve noticed, is that like...this place feels like a time freeze.
Since a few people were in college when I joined, I kinda saw everyone as “having a reputation” or knowing more than me.

obviously all the people I know and myself have grown up, but I haven’t always been able to shake some of those feelings. Even though I’m old now, like my online interactions don’t exactly reflect how it would be if I met everyone in person.
I don’t know, I’m not wording it properly, it just feels that while Joel the person has aged, Pythag the online persona hasn’t? It’s hard to put to words

Mystery_Dude

Smash Rookie
Hello good sirs and madams. By recommendation of some lad (or lass?) who must not be named, I have wandered over here. I am totally not playing coy about the mystery person that recommended this place to me, by the way. If you must know, they backed me into a corner and forced me against my will to promise not to reveal their secret identity by dangling pepperoni pizza in front of my face. One simply can't argue with pepperoni pizza, you see, and given my hunger stricken appetite, I couldn't deny the pizza for more than a few minutes. I am therefore honour-bound to keep my lips sealed...unless there's more pizza to be had.

Where do I sign up to play a game of Mafia?

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Hello good sirs and madams. By recommendation of some lad (or lass?) who must not be named, I have wandered over here. I am totally not playing coy about the mystery person that recommended this place to me, by the way. If you must know, they backed me into a corner and forced me against my will to promise not to reveal their secret identity by dangling pepperoni pizza in front of my face. One simply can't argue with pepperoni pizza, you see, and given my hunger stricken appetite, I couldn't deny the pizza for more than a few minutes. I am therefore honour-bound to keep my lips sealed...unless there's more pizza to be had.

Where do I sign up to play a game of Mafia?
Hey there! I promise I won't pester you about who recommended you here, but I can confirm that we do have signups open right now.

https://smashboards.com/threads/midnight-ops-mafia-the-reboot-signup-thread-4-13.504957/

Edit: I do have a guess, but I mean, is it even worth it to ruin the mystery?

Last edited:
Top Bottom