• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
You have me sold on Slay the Spire though! I think the difficulty scale is just my thing, since I felt BoI was too tricky. And with the characters I just felt unlucky. Like I'd pick Azazel and I'd get horrible items but I'd pick Isaac and get the Ludovico (which for Azazel makes his tear a huge ring). I felt played! LOL So if each character in StS has their own pool then that might help with that!
I mean this kind of thing can still happen, but I think that just comes with being a roguelike. But it feels like because you're building a deck and getting lots of items, that there aren't the same big power spikes that you could get with Isaac. You can't just rely on one thing to carry you the whole run.

From a google search EXAPUNKS seems like my thing too but I hadn't heard of it before so I'll look more into it! Thank you for the recommendations!
HACK EVERYTHING

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
I normally don't drink caffeine.

I screwed up my sleep schedule though, and so I had an energy drink with no food today, as I'm getting back into intermittent fasting.

HOLY COW I'm so jittery. I can't even sit through my zoom class.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
What is pan/asexuality, Pokechu?
I'm glad you asked!!! It's a part of myself I don't get to explain much!!

They're actually two different identities, and exact opposites - pansexuality is being attracted to all genders/sexes, so it's really similar to bisexuality. But bisexuality is bit different, defined as an attraction to at least two genders/sexes (so it could be men and women but not non-binary folks, for instance). So essentially, since I'm pansexual, I'm genderblind when it comes to love. Pansexuality = attraction to all! I go by pan but I don't care about the distinction with bi much.

But that's where my asexuality comes into play, and it's when you don't like anyone! My sexuality is between the two. If I'm being technical with this I would say I'm not necessarily asexual but actually demisexual (which is in the asexual umbrella), and it's not feeling sexual attraction until you've built a strong connection with someone (so ads of people in skimpy clothes do nothing for me, since I have no attachment to them). Demisexuality is on a bit of a different axis than other sexualities as a result. But I just prefer the term asexual more. And I actually don't think I'm attracted much to relationships by default. I think in theory, a toxic codependency sounds sweet! But imagining myself in one, unless I really like the person I'm a little repulsed LMAO

You could take it a bit further and define your sexuality in terms of romanticism, which is who you're attracted to romantically (relationship-wise). So most people are heteroromantic (attracted to the opposite gender romantically) and heterosexual (attracted to the opposite gender sexually). Usually the two pieces line up so people just say "heterosexual" since defining the romanticism would be unnecessary. I just go by pan or asexual most of the time but if I really wanted to hammer it down I'd probably label myself demiromantic and pansexual, or panromantic and demisexual. Demipansexual (?). Demipanromantic (?) I don't think there's a real term for a combination of the two, but if there was, that'd probably be me!

It's a hard life I live!! Definitely on the wild side. I like all genders, until I don't. And I don't like all genders, until I do. :joyful:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Very interesting, thank you for such an informative explanation!
Always down to clown!!! I think it can be confusing at first but it helps to know more identities and what they mean! And I just like talking about myself and to myself. I'm a little chatterbox. Just a little! A tiny one ;)

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
so wait, pokechu felt nothing for all of the dgamers/nzoners he flirted with this entire time?!

dude says he has no sexual attraction but is lowkey a player. unbelievable...

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
so wait, pokechu felt nothing for all of the dgamers/nzoners he flirted with this entire time?!

dude says he has no sexual attraction but is lowkey a player. unbelievable...
This is correct, and it's eerily similar to what one of the NZoners (Shishoe) said when they found out... how the tables turn! I find flirting funny precisely because I hardly feel attraction. If they say no, who're they going to offend? Not me! LOL

Although, if I'm being completely honest. . . I do think GLG is charming Embarrass

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
This is correct, and it's eerily similar to what one of the NZoners (Shishoe) said when they found out... how the tables turn! I find flirting funny precisely because I hardly feel attraction. If they say no, who're they going to offend? Not me! LOL
And if they say yes? Don't you run the risk of offending them?

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Apparently the love of money is still referred to as avarice and Googling a desire to work to the point where you can be buried in a swimming pool of it brings up bible references from Ecclesiastes 5:10 and 1 Timothy 6:10. I guess that makes me old-fashioned.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
And if they say yes? Don't you run the risk of offending them?
This is a very good point I hadn't considered. However, when interacting with me one should brace themselves to either be pleasantly surprised or to meet with a disaster. This would fall under the latter, and truthfully if they said yes to me of all people I would be somewhat concerned as that shows there's a bigger problem to be worried about than me rejecting them

LOL :joyful:

I only flirt with those who see through it anyways, but if a situation like this did arise, I would be shocked. I try to make it obvious when I'm seriously flirting with someone

giraffelasergun

Smash Lord
I do think GLG is charming Embarrass
happy totodile.png

I'm bored guys
They added/are about to add a lot of content in Mario Maker 2, not sure if you have it, but it looks like it'll be a fun new addition. I've been watching Community a lot since they added it to Netflix, season 2 and season 3 are really good if you've never seen it.

Also that mobile game XiVii posted about is really hard, when people were posting they got times of 30+ seconds I didn't believe it until Pythag posted proof.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Xivii, I just got 44 seconds! You still playing?
Yep! I'm not giving up until I get a minute lol. I've found that it plays differently on different phones. On my LG G6 it's way easier to control and it kind of feels like there's more space than on my Galaxy S7. And on my friend's iPhone 11 it's much cleaner/less laggy.

Community is goat yall really should watch it
Also High Score Girl if you're a fighting game fan

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
giraffelasergun giraffelasergun I am hype for mm2 update! This game is now almost perfect!
Am I the only person bummed by the SMB2 mushroom? Like from my perspective, I’d say the coding of Mario’s mechanics would be the hardest part of the implementation of SMB2 into SMM2. The fact that it’s not just it’s own exclusive game style kind of has me bummed after they went the distance to add the SMB2 mushroom in the game. Like how hard can it be to add in the extra graphics? (I’m sure there’s work involved, but it’s comparatively less when you think about the fact that all of the sprites are just being reused. It’s not like they’re adding 2D Galaxy or anything...)

Last edited:

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
Gah!

I just got 51 seconds. I could've SWORN that was going to be my minute run. :((

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I have not played Project Winter. I have to play Splatoon 2 later.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Am I the only person bummed by the SMB2 mushroom? Like from my perspective, I’d say the coding of Mario’s mechanics would be the hardest part of the implementation of SMB2 into SMM2. The fact that it’s not just it’s own exclusive game style kind of has me bummed after they went the distance to add the SMB2 mushroom in the game. Like how hard can it be to add in the extra graphics? (I’m sure there’s work involved, but it’s comparatively less when you think about the fact that all of the sprites are just being reused. It’s not like they’re adding 2D Galaxy or anything...)
No, you aren't. Some people have told me that they think it's because of Covid though. So it seems they just put out what they could for now. I feel like they were working towards having it as a theme. Yet, I feel like if they work on Mario Maker 3 in the future, it'll be more awesome and will have SMB2. Like no joke. I think from seeing SMM2, I am actually hopeful and believe they would bring it to SMM3, even though I lost hope before all that. Yet they brought most of the things we wanted in SMM1.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
https://youtu.be/Ad5RJ3TeKSE

apparently ppl put on knights armor and fight each other with axes

i kno this has absolutely nothing to do with mafia

i kno this has absolutely nothing to do with anyones social lives

i kno this has nothing to do with gaming

but its two grown men fighting each other with axes while wearing knights armor

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
well that sure is a strange thing eh. whenever I see some kind of contact sport like that I always wonder what the meta is like.

I downloaded shogun 2 total war today. completely free on steam until tomorrow!
So that's a bargain if anyone's interested. I played the first game a bunch as a kid, but mainly for the ninja cutscenes.

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
https://youtu.be/Ad5RJ3TeKSE

apparently ppl put on knights armor and fight each other with axes

i kno this has absolutely nothing to do with mafia

i kno this has absolutely nothing to do with anyones social lives

i kno this has nothing to do with gaming

but its two grown men fighting each other with axes while wearing knights armor
I thought that was the purpose of the social thread. It's the sienfeld of the Dgames threads : the thread about nothing.

Also.

two grown men are fighting each other with axes while wearing armor.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
This thread is for talking everything BUT mafia. Talking about Mafia will make you lose all of your smashboards points.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
How did we even start mafia in dgames btw

who introduced it etc

what is our history

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
How did we even start mafia in dgames btw

who introduced it etc

what is our history
There's probably better people to write this out, but here goes :

Drab_Emordnilap I think was the first guy to host a mafia game back here (in 2006? 2007?), that was even before we had 'Decisive Games' (also before I was even a member)
He hosted a Smashbrothers flavored mafia, which I'm pretty sure mafia won because he made NaNa and PoPo masons, but one of them was also mafia.
It was one of the few times I remember actually enjoying reading flavor.

I just remember one death was like
"SCREEEEEETCH" the sound of a homerun bat echos in the night as Spire (Ness, Vanilla Townie) Is sent hurtling off of Final Destination to his untimely death.

Sadly It was before the site got archived, so you can't even read it anymore.

I remember he discussed it 'relatively' recently about how jank his setup was and how he didn't know what he was doing, but he really created quite a tradition here that so many people latched on to.

From that others started hosting their own mafia games..

I'm trying to remember all the people
Smashman, camoman, epicyoshi? mentosman, Eor, McFox...other people from the Broom....I'm struggling for names here. FrozenFlame, Tom, Marshy, Mr. Lombardi, they were some of the usual crew that would be playing mafia. Different people would host. The games got so popular that, I can't remember who it was, maybe Tom, Eor, or EE that decided to create a specific area for these types of games, so that they wouldn't be in the 'count to 1000000 without the mods interrupting' style games.

The setups were still pretty standard, I don't recall any super duper crazy games, I think we were all just kinda learning together about the game, but that could just be my perspective. I was amazed at how each game was getting different and was typically surprised at how people that would host the games would bring different twists in the setup. Just to show you how basic it was, I remember the first time playing with a Godfather and being like, wait, WHAT? Mafia that's immune to a cop???

The interest in Mafia style games led to Eor hosting 'The Thing', Which was the first Adventure Game I had ever seen back here. It was so cool to read through, it was mafia combined with actions, not just discussion! Players had a lot more agency. He made a map and everything. I remember him putting a link out there as well as other forums were talking about the game he was hosting.

He did two zombie Agames (adventure games) that never quite finished (maybe partially because he got banned), but I remember those bringing in a lot of new people.
EE hosted The Fog, and then his Magnum Opus was Batman: We Own the Night. He would do this while still leveling people at mafia.

Agames were typically played through AIM, and only major posts would be done in the game thread. I think there were some attempts at mafia in AIM but I never participated in those.

So for a hot minute, Dgames was hopping with so many games.

That's about all I know of, because after EE's AGameI graduated college and spent the next 3 years in Thailand, and I was pretty absent from Smashboards in general, but it looks like there were still some relatively constant mafia playing going on back here.
When I made my return to the forum it was like...completely new people. And now there are other transplants from other forums! Fun stuff.

if anyone wants to correct me on any of that let me know, that's all I can really remember.

Last edited:

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
There's probably better people to write this out, but here goes :

Drab_Emordnilap I think was the first guy to host a mafia game back here (in 2006? 2007?), that was even before we had 'Decisive Games' (also before I was even a member)
He hosted a Smashbrothers flavored mafia, which I'm pretty sure mafia won because he made NaNa and PoPo masons, but one of them was also mafia.
It was one of the few times I remember actually enjoying reading flavor.

I just remember one death was like
"SCREEEEEETCH" the sound of a homerun bat echos in the night as Spire (Ness, Vanilla Townie) Is sent hurtling off of Final Destination to his untimely death.

Sadly It was before the site got archived, so you can't even read it anymore.

I remember he discussed it 'relatively' recently about how jank his setup was and how he didn't know what he was doing, but he really created quite a tradition here that so many people latched on to.

From that others started hosting their own mafia games..

I'm trying to remember all the people
Smashman, camoman, epicyoshi? mentosman, Eor, McFox...other people from the Broom....I'm struggling for names here. FrozenFlame, Tom, Marshy, Mr. Lombardi, they were some of the usual crew that would be playing mafia. Different people would host. The games got so popular that, I can't remember who it was, maybe Tom, Eor, or EE that decided to create a specific area for these types of games, so that they wouldn't be in the 'count to 1000000 without the mods interrupting' style games.

The setups were still pretty standard, I don't recall any super duper crazy games, I think we were all just kinda learning together about the game, but that could just be my perspective. I was amazed at how each game was getting different and was typically surprised at how people that would host the games would bring different twists in the setup. Just to show you how basic it was, I remember the first time playing with a Godfather and being like, wait, WHAT? Mafia that's immune to a cop???

The interest in Mafia style games led to Eor hosting 'The Thing', Which was the first Adventure Game I had ever seen back here. It was so cool to read through, it was mafia combined with actions, not just discussion! Players had a lot more agency. He made a map and everything. I remember him putting a link out there as well as other forums were talking about the game he was hosting.

He did two zombie Agames (adventure games) that never quite finished (maybe partially because he got banned), but I remember those bringing in a lot of new people.
EE hosted The Fog, and then his Magnum Opus was Batman: We Own the Night. He would do this while still leveling people at mafia.

Agames were typically played through AIM, and only major posts would be done in the game thread. I think there were some attempts at mafia in AIM but I never participated in those.

So for a hot minute, Dgames was hopping with so many games.

That's about all I know of, because after EE's AGameI graduated college and spent the next 3 years in Thailand, and I was pretty absent from Smashboards in general, but it looks like there were still some relatively constant mafia playing going on back here.
When I made my return to the forum it was like...completely new people. And now there are other transplants from other forums! Fun stuff.

if anyone wants to correct me on any of that let me know, that's all I can really remember.
some other info

- the first game was by drab emordnilap. the second game was by thedocsalive. these games were hosted in "forum games" before dgames existed. drab was the mod of forum games
- some prominent old school players were the above two, frozenflame, eorlingas, ronike, camoman, pythag. some other ppl who were around here and there were me, medi, kevinm, prob others im forgetting, this is "pre dgames generation/og generation"
- in 2008 eor got the green light to make a room dedicated to mafia and adventure games, birthing dgames. at this point he is the mod and he chooses tom to co moderate with him
- tom takes the torch and oversees the boom in dgames, hosting "back to basics" simple mafia setups to get people playing mafia in the new room
- some people who were active around that time were macman, jungle, rockin, me, kevinm, chaco, mentosman, handorin, gheb, etc. this is "first generation dgames"
- at a certain point tom is away due to irl stuff, he mods me
- i mod for a while. a bunch of **** happens but i forget, lots of games. i mod sold2
- for a time the mods are like me, xiivi (not zen -_-. xiivi was an admin so he spent a lot of time here), sold2. players like ryker, swiss, mac, omni, kataefi, vanderzant, adumbrodeus, cello marl, nicholas1024, j are active. this is "second generation dgames" which is the biggest group
- i leave and sold2 mods raziek. theres a "ryker era" where he and swiss become the most dominant players, dgames starts meeting on skype or something
- the above players stay active and you have some other ppl who are there as the meta morphs like th3kuzinator, gorf, sworddancer, nabe, overswarm, circus, laundry, jtb, raziek, zen, bardull, ranmaru, july, red ryu, rajam, it was a very fun time, colorful games and personalities, this is probably what ppl most remember
- overswarm becomes the rooms favorite host. he hosts a bunch of role madness games which we really had a lot of fun with
- xiivi departs, sold2 departs, i come back and am remodded. the mods are me and raziek. j gets modded for a season
- the meta morphs but it is a pretty fun time, lots of the above players and a whole bunch of others i forget are active
- at a certain point dgames dies, hard to pinpoint why, prolly just everyone grew up and moved on
- nzoners come, bardull is mod. the room becomes a weird mesh of dgames and much faster-paced games with role madness mechanics, i guess this is "third generation dgames"
- nzoners go
- were now a melting pot of dgames and hav players from xkcd, mafia colosseum, prolly some others
- mod timeline: drab emordnilap -> eorlingas -> tom -> marshy -> xiivi (admin) -> sold2 -> red ryu (smod) -> raziek -> j -> bardull -> thirdkoopa -> giraffelasergun -> moydow (admin) -> pokechu

i left a ****ton out due to memory. these are broad strokes and i didnt do it full justice but you could write a book on it cuz this really has a rich history. a lot of the ppl who grew up in it look back on it fondly, it was a great community with some epic af games. this is hopefully loosely accurate and/or enough to get a sense of whats happened. this room had some epic times and i think many of the games that were played here were among the most enjoyable mafia experiences anywhere

Last edited:

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
ronike!! That’s the name I was looking for. I liked that guy a lot. And jungle! Man..

yea marshy has a better lay of the land.

Top Bottom