• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I went through the same thing when it stopped being the dude in a bear hat.
Ooooh snap that’s right, I remember the old man bear one. Maybe it hasn’t been as long as 4 years then. It felt like ages ago though since the last change.

The beanie guy was my character from the Cold. Real shame that game died, it was just getting interesting
Was that the A-game EE was doing? I ended up not getting into it too much because EE wanted me to use AIM which I pretty much never used, and then I went on hiatus and he was not pleased with me. To this day I am still hiding from his vengeful, sickeningly thick biceps.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Ooooh snap that’s right, I remember the old man bear one. Maybe it hasn’t been as long as 4 years then. It felt like ages ago though since the last change.

Was that the A-game EE was doing? I ended up not getting into it too much because EE wanted me to use AIM which I pretty much never used, and then I went on hiatus and he was not pleased with me. To this day I am still hiding from his vengeful, sickeningly thick biceps.
I'm reminded of my first encounter in Dgames where I played in Gheb's Adventure game that I only played 2 sessions of due to being confused and finding AIM kind of cumbersome as it felt awkward to plan sessions

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Canadians are the true white walkers, which more or less explains their unnatural kindness as well as their love of bagged milk. You think saying "eh" after everything they do is normal? All the while living in the modern equivalent of Antarctica?

Get me my sword.

Last edited:

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Day 2, I still suck as a substitute teacher. I confirmed for another day. There is chaos everywhere I go. Any grade [1-6], any class. It'll happen. Maybe I should use behavior charts (color charts) earlier and more often. Honestly I have not moved a color at all yet.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Do you guys think its a good idea to revive the dgames interview thread? Honestly, I think it would be fun with all the new blood and those that haven't gotten the chance to be interviewed, yet.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
im game

also hi fire sad you replaced out but reasonable
Yeah, I realized early on I wouldn't be able to commit to the game due to both time and lack of energy so I decided that its best to replace early, so its easier for someone like Soup to fill in.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
From Mafia. Here's another spoiler for Subbing:

So, the second day. Today is Monday. I had little sleep as I did last time, but left around 7:20 AM and got to the school around 7:50 AM. It seemed as though I was fine. I was hoping to be there earlier though. Either way, I had to wait for the gym teacher to come and get me. I put on shorts and a collared sports polo. I was given packets and a schedule, of classes I should go to. I’m confused as to the point of what I was doing.

The thing that worried me the most was I had to go to different grades, First grade through Sixth grade. I was hoping to go slower but, I had to go into each class and see how things went. Through out all the classes, all of them were loud. I still had the same problems as before, although not so much with the sixth grade. They laughed at me for some reason when I spoke at the beginning, but I didn’t say much. It must have been how I said something. They were loud too but they didn’t have the immaturity of fighting, I think anyway. They did get out of their seats, as did other children in other grades.

Even the first graders I was covering for, almost fought. First graders. The clapping thing and 1 2 3 works much better with them though, although I’m not sure how to proceed from there. I tell them to lower their voices after that but it doesn’t really help. It just gets their attention and that’s it. Then they un-pause and do whatever they were doing naturally.

What I have learned is that kids naturally just talk in a social setting. Then they all have little arguments that I try to help resolve but have no really solid method to doing so. “She ripped my paper!” “He stole my pencil sharpener!” “They are all calling me ugly!” What I have done is tell the person who is doing such thing, is to say ‘don’t call her ugly’ or ‘don’t take her pencil sharpener, give it back.’

Luckily Third Grade and other grades were testing with bench marks with their teacher in the class so I didn’t have to deal with all their rowdiness all day, but I’m not sure if I can handle all fighting all periods right now. I have to react to the children’s needs and try to interrupt any child about to fight or push another child. This is most prevalent in the first grade. In all of this chaos I’m trying to positively support the children who show me something and ask if I liked it. I’m like “Yes, it’s great! Keep up the good work!” She said she liked that I’m nice. I said yes, I’ll be here tomorrow.

Maybe I should be quicker to changing children’s color codes of conduct. A child doesn’t listen to me when I say ‘stop or else I’ll change the color’. Yet when I start to move the color the child cries. I don’t want to have to make a child cry, but is that my only option? I also fear I don’t know the line that is crossed to red. People say points and codes are what they really care about. I’m not too knowledgeable of those things. I’m only going off what I hear.

As the first graders were lining up, I have given them high fives, while asking their names. I’ll be honest that I actually did not remember many of their names. I need to try the ‘bring a paper around for good students to sign to encourage good behavior’. It’s also kind of awkward to try to do things my way when the teacher is already in the class. I guess I’m slowly trying new things. I would prefer to only have one grade to focus on as my Ginny pigs as I improve myself.

During break I wasn’t feeling too great and was doubting whether I should say or not. It’s much less then with being in a restaurant where I have anxiety with dealing with people’s eating space. “Hi sir are you done yet?” (Exaggeration) I don’t want to be improper in those moments. With this, I am more worried about not being able to calm down a class. Kids naturally talk, and then insult each other, and elevate to arguments and then fights. Yet I can’t quell it at all. So I have to desperately clap my hands to hopefully slow all that down. They have packets, but even that isn’t engaging all of them. I’m sure it could be argued the packet wasn’t too interesting for some except the ones that were working on it silently.

I have noted that a lot of the teachers YELL at their students, like wow. I don’t really want to rule by fear here, so I’m trying to find other ways to calm them down. Yet all day I have heard ‘it’s only been 5 minutes since I left the class room and y’all are LOUD’ from each teacher. Note, that a co-worker told me ‘good luck’ since I had them all week. I don’t know how they fare as classes, but they don’t seem to be too loud before I enter. I really have to find something within myself to be able to get across to these kids. Honestly, I just clap clap clap and then say ‘lower your voices’.

I got reprimanded earlier today, I was told that I should be hovering around the kids a lot more. I thought constant hovering was bad and made me seem excessive but I did it anyway just to see how it went. This day, some kids were asking me to change seats, I declined for no reason, just to see how it went. Although if there was a problem like being bothered, I’d grant it, or if they asked ‘to be in the peace corner’. Although the latter wasn’t allowed and the teacher was like “Why is he over there?” I didn’t have time to determine if it was something the teacher usually allowed or not. It kind of seemed to be the former and the situation was hectic so I allowed it as I would want to support a child who is uncomfortable with the nature of the class.

Luckily today I had much more down time then Friday. Classes didn’t start until 9AM for PE. Then one of the teachers said she’d have them watch a movie instead of doing the packets and didn’t need me there, so that was me in the break room + planning period. I really needed that time. Then I was glad to simply have the First graders last. I will say my timing is off as I have stickers I’d like to give to good students but I couldn’t find the right times to do so.

Even so, I can’t really leave because I do have to make money somehow, and currently there are problems with my mom and dad now that have surfaced up. It’s mostly marriage problems, and my mother didn’t want to talk about it. Basically my dad didn’t want to put his name on a new house. I can’t really go into that any further but I have to support in some way. This job is very stressful and I’m doubtful I can stay in it. So it’s a mild hell that I’ll reside in until I can make it not hell if that’s ever possible.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
From Mafia. Here's another spoiler for Subbing:

So, the second day. Today is Monday. I had little sleep as I did last time, but left around 7:20 AM and got to the school around 7:50 AM. It seemed as though I was fine. I was hoping to be there earlier though. Either way, I had to wait for the gym teacher to come and get me. I put on shorts and a collared sports polo. I was given packets and a schedule, of classes I should go to. I’m confused as to the point of what I was doing.

The thing that worried me the most was I had to go to different grades, First grade through Sixth grade. I was hoping to go slower but, I had to go into each class and see how things went. Through out all the classes, all of them were loud. I still had the same problems as before, although not so much with the sixth grade. They laughed at me for some reason when I spoke at the beginning, but I didn’t say much. It must have been how I said something. They were loud too but they didn’t have the immaturity of fighting, I think anyway. They did get out of their seats, as did other children in other grades.

Even the first graders I was covering for, almost fought. First graders. The clapping thing and 1 2 3 works much better with them though, although I’m not sure how to proceed from there. I tell them to lower their voices after that but it doesn’t really help. It just gets their attention and that’s it. Then they un-pause and do whatever they were doing naturally.

What I have learned is that kids naturally just talk in a social setting. Then they all have little arguments that I try to help resolve but have no really solid method to doing so. “She ripped my paper!” “He stole my pencil sharpener!” “They are all calling me ugly!” What I have done is tell the person who is doing such thing, is to say ‘don’t call her ugly’ or ‘don’t take her pencil sharpener, give it back.’

Luckily Third Grade and other grades were testing with bench marks with their teacher in the class so I didn’t have to deal with all their rowdiness all day, but I’m not sure if I can handle all fighting all periods right now. I have to react to the children’s needs and try to interrupt any child about to fight or push another child. This is most prevalent in the first grade. In all of this chaos I’m trying to positively support the children who show me something and ask if I liked it. I’m like “Yes, it’s great! Keep up the good work!” She said she liked that I’m nice. I said yes, I’ll be here tomorrow.

Maybe I should be quicker to changing children’s color codes of conduct. A child doesn’t listen to me when I say ‘stop or else I’ll change the color’. Yet when I start to move the color the child cries. I don’t want to have to make a child cry, but is that my only option? I also fear I don’t know the line that is crossed to red. People say points and codes are what they really care about. I’m not too knowledgeable of those things. I’m only going off what I hear.

As the first graders were lining up, I have given them high fives, while asking their names. I’ll be honest that I actually did not remember many of their names. I need to try the ‘bring a paper around for good students to sign to encourage good behavior’. It’s also kind of awkward to try to do things my way when the teacher is already in the class. I guess I’m slowly trying new things. I would prefer to only have one grade to focus on as my Ginny pigs as I improve myself.

During break I wasn’t feeling too great and was doubting whether I should say or not. It’s much less then with being in a restaurant where I have anxiety with dealing with people’s eating space. “Hi sir are you done yet?” (Exaggeration) I don’t want to be improper in those moments. With this, I am more worried about not being able to calm down a class. Kids naturally talk, and then insult each other, and elevate to arguments and then fights. Yet I can’t quell it at all. So I have to desperately clap my hands to hopefully slow all that down. They have packets, but even that isn’t engaging all of them. I’m sure it could be argued the packet wasn’t too interesting for some except the ones that were working on it silently.

I have noted that a lot of the teachers YELL at their students, like wow. I don’t really want to rule by fear here, so I’m trying to find other ways to calm them down. Yet all day I have heard ‘it’s only been 5 minutes since I left the class room and y’all are LOUD’ from each teacher. Note, that a co-worker told me ‘good luck’ since I had them all week. I don’t know how they fare as classes, but they don’t seem to be too loud before I enter. I really have to find something within myself to be able to get across to these kids. Honestly, I just clap clap clap and then say ‘lower your voices’.

I got reprimanded earlier today, I was told that I should be hovering around the kids a lot more. I thought constant hovering was bad and made me seem excessive but I did it anyway just to see how it went. This day, some kids were asking me to change seats, I declined for no reason, just to see how it went. Although if there was a problem like being bothered, I’d grant it, or if they asked ‘to be in the peace corner’. Although the latter wasn’t allowed and the teacher was like “Why is he over there?” I didn’t have time to determine if it was something the teacher usually allowed or not. It kind of seemed to be the former and the situation was hectic so I allowed it as I would want to support a child who is uncomfortable with the nature of the class.

Luckily today I had much more down time then Friday. Classes didn’t start until 9AM for PE. Then one of the teachers said she’d have them watch a movie instead of doing the packets and didn’t need me there, so that was me in the break room + planning period. I really needed that time. Then I was glad to simply have the First graders last. I will say my timing is off as I have stickers I’d like to give to good students but I couldn’t find the right times to do so.

Even so, I can’t really leave because I do have to make money somehow, and currently there are problems with my mom and dad now that have surfaced up. It’s mostly marriage problems, and my mother didn’t want to talk about it. Basically my dad didn’t want to put his name on a new house. I can’t really go into that any further but I have to support in some way. This job is very stressful and I’m doubtful I can stay in it. So it’s a mild hell that I’ll reside in until I can make it not hell if that’s ever possible.
I feel you on the Mafia break. I’m still hoverin’ around atm, but like you, a lot of my day is dedicated to work.

Anyway, these are some great posts delving into the life of a sub though. I can feel the difficulty of the learning curve just by reading your posts. Kids are hard, man.

I also feel you on the grind; been waking up at 6:20am, leaving at 7:20am, then working ‘til 5pm. It sucks to a degree, but I figure we’re both building a resume up and getting paid while we’re doing it, or at least that’s my motivation. Some day we’ll be able to move beyond what we’re doing, I think.

Re: wanting to quit, I was feeling that way just starting out at my new job. My boss was giving me a hard time because I wasn’t picking up things fast enough. The reality though is that this financial services firm has high volume, and they said they’d be able to train me efficiently once I walked in, but that hasn’t been the case. I ended up coming in on Saturday and Sunday last weekend for 16~ hours on my own time just to figure out their system as well as their accounting software. Once I got past the harder parts, it has been much easier and I don’t hate it anymore lol. Maybe it will be the same for you once you get more settled in.

Last edited:

giraffelasergun

Smash Lord
giraffelasergun giraffelasergun
Why is your join date one day before mine, but I have 11 times the post count?

I realized as I was typing; posts didn't count in DGames back then.
weird flex but ok

Also probably has to do with how I checked in once or twice a year when I was in college and then forgot about this place but I'm here now!

Also what's everyone doing for halloween costumes? I'm thinking about just getting a winnie the pooh onesie and calling it a day.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I feel you on the Mafia break. I’m still hoverin’ around atm, but like you, a lot of my day is dedicated to work.

Anyway, these are some great posts delving into the life of a sub though. I can feel the difficulty of the learning curve just by reading your posts. Kids are hard, man.

I also feel you on the grind; been waking up at 6:20am, leaving at 7:20am, then working ‘til 5pm. It sucks to a degree, but I figure we’re both building a resume up and getting paid while we’re doing it, or at least that’s my motivation. Some day we’ll be able to move beyond what we’re doing, I think.

Re: wanting to quit, I was feeling that way just starting out at my new job. My boss was giving me a hard time because I wasn’t picking up things fast enough. The reality though is that this financial services firm has high volume, and they said they’d be able to train me efficiently once I walked in, but that hasn’t been the case. I ended up coming in on Saturday and Sunday last weekend for 16~ hours on my own time just to figure out their system as well as their accounting software. Once I got past the harder parts, it has been much easier and I don’t hate it anymore lol. Maybe it will be the same for you once you get more settled in.
Forgot to reply to this

Thanks dude. Kids are hard, it's making me re-think teaching though. Moderating kids with my personality is probably not good. I am glad I'm building a resume while getting paid though. I will say that people tell me this is a pretty tough school in general. Most of the teachers yell and I don't like to yell.

giraffelasergun

Smash Lord
Do people here like Alanis Morisette? My friends made fun of me today for telling someone to shut their ***** mouth for saying they didn't like her because they all didn't like her either? You Oughta Know is such a good song I don't understand

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
weird flex but ok

Also probably has to do with how I checked in once or twice a year when I was in college and then forgot about this place but I'm here now!

Also what's everyone doing for halloween costumes? I'm thinking about just getting a winnie the pooh onesie and calling it a day.
Literally got an Eeyore onesie for a party yesterday. Great idea, highly recommend it. Super comfy.

Hi btw

Top Bottom