• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
So it seems I helped a lady realize a phone call was a scam. Nice.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Opinion is irrelevant. There are clear win/loss conditions for mafia; personal preference for how the game is played is irrelevant. If someone could win every game of mafia by threatening to quit if mafia didn't modkill themselves, that would be the best strategy -- even if it isn't the most honorable or fun.

There is one goal for town: eliminate mafia.

This can be split into two sub-goals:

1. Find out who mafia is
2. Lynch them during the Day Phase

Depending on the game setup, more sub-goals can exist -- including sub-sub-goals, especially for specialized roles. E.g., a Doctor -- to lynch mafia during the day phase -- would want to protect key players and not reveal they are the doctor so they could continue to do so.

Convincing someone to vote for the wrong reads does absolutely nothing for either of the sub-goals. There may be specific circumstances where this could be a good option (e.g., cop that can only view those on a vote), but in a vanilla circumstance this is never the best case option unless you can clearly discern who mafia is (sub-goal #1) from this action and there is no other alternative (there always is).

"Quality play" in mafia isn't subjective. It is inherently objective. Lynching mafia = good. Lynching mafia requires knowing who mafia is and voting for them as a group. Voting for them as a group can require social talents to convince others.

Gain Knowledge
Have Influence
Lynch Mafia

Pretty simple 1-2-3 order.

"But what about people who can't ever figure out who mafia are, but know a good townie when they see them and vote with them?"

This question, and others like it, have a faulty premise -- that these alternative strategies are just as successful as simply being able to accurately discern who is mafia. The reality is that mafia can replicate this behavior, players can make mistakes and follow someone who has the wrong reads, etc., etc., for whatever other situation it is.

At the end of the day, only two things are important: Knowing Who To Lynch and Lynching Them.

In the $ version of mafia I indicated above, you get $ for Knowing Who To Lynch (money back for top 3 if mafia wins).

You get MORE $ for Lynching them ($15 for top 4 if town wins).

This effectively rewards the two behaviors that are directly responsible for town's victory. You are ascribing personal preference and style to your own personal metric, when the game values neither.

Vult Redux

Smash Lord
NNID
Voluero
If anyone wants to join PYP and make me a very happy guy please let me know. You won't get do the role picking part because that's already done BUT it still would be fun to play in.

I know I would be playing if I weren't the one hosting it. And I have really high standards so

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
youre making the process of a town victory sound so much more trite than i think it really is. i mean im not gonna try and convince you that youre wrong but itd take way more effort to try and disprove than im willing to give lol

however if you run a mafia game with prize money count me /in cuz im good af at mafia and id be down to make money off of it

Overswarm

is laughing at you
youre making the process of a town victory sound so much more trite than i think it really is. i mean im not gonna try and convince you that youre wrong but itd take way more effort to try and disprove than im willing to give lol

however if you run a mafia game with prize money count me /in cuz im good af at mafia and id be down to make money off of it
Hmmm....

I do have 3 months of FMLA leave coming up with kids...

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I might throw it together.

If I could get aroudn gambling laws I could create a website specifically for mafia that has the functionality built in for hosts, but I don't think most states would allow for online mafia games...

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
I might throw it together.

If I could get aroudn gambling laws I could create a website specifically for mafia that has the functionality built in for hosts, but I don't think most states would allow for online mafia games...
go to mafiauniverse.com and talk to thingyman (the admin of the site) about the idea. i personally think hed really like it and would be willing to put work toward making it happen

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Run it like a grass roots program. Please as a host give player feedback though. Although OS already does, I am saying in general. Dgames needs more shout outs. I guess I realize I try to reflect on any serious game, or game I take seriously (Splatoon for time).

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Lol guys false alarm she's got a boyfriend lmao im so dum

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
List of Stuff EE is doing tonight instead of sleeping to make damn sure The Cold keeps momentum now that he has real home internet

[x] Delete all thread clutter.

[x] Informative PMs owed to players: Part 1

[ ] Informative PMs owed to players: Part 2 (in progress)

[ ] Miscellaneous PMs owed to players: Part 3

[ ] PMs with information meant to give players a kick in the butt and a sense of direction (in progress)

[ ] OP Overhaul: Will give a very clear idea of what can or should be done in AGames, ideas about how to play and how to stay safe, and

[x] Consolidation of all Landmarks of Pamplona posts so they can easily be found, as with Citizens of Pamplona. Also I forgot to write one or two I think

[ ] Secret benchmark :o

[ ] Secret benchmark

[ ] Secret benchmark

[ ] Secret benchmark

APPRECIATE ME

Last edited:

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
......anybody know why a post might, for no reason I can possibly imagine, clone a bunch of UBB code?

I don't know wtf is going on but the Orboknown post in the thread that I edited to include all the Landmarks of Pamplona just keeps ****ing up in ways I can't get to the heart of or explain

It keeps cloning tags over and over again.

They vary wildly in size when I edit the post too for some reason

Every time I fix it it reverts back to how it was

The last like 6 or so Landmarks just don't show up despite being formatted exactly the same damn way

like wtf is this

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
......anybody know why a post might, for no reason I can possibly imagine, clone a bunch of UBB code?

I don't know wtf is going on but the Orboknown post in the thread that I edited to include all the Landmarks of Pamplona just keeps ****ing up in ways I can't get to the heart of or explain

It keeps cloning tags over and over again.

They vary wildly in size when I edit the post too for some reason

Every time I fix it it reverts back to how it was

The last like 6 or so Landmarks just don't show up despite being formatted exactly the same damn way

like wtf is this
This happened to me in the Charizard Match up thread as I have been tinkering with it, I'm not sure why it might randomly clone a bunch of BB code for no reason.

If it is happening more often then I can dig into it.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
It happens with spoiler tags if all the tags aren't parallel.

Good:

[spoiler*=outer][spoiler*=inner][size*=7]text[/*size][/*spoiler][/*spoiler]

Bad:

[spoiler*=outer][size*=7][spoiler*=inner]text[/*size][/*spoiler][/*spoiler]

If the order on the right side is size-spoiler-spoiler, then the order on the left side should be spoiler-spoiler-size. Basically you want to make sure that no tag encompasses just half of another tag such as: [size*=1][b*][/size]text[/*b].

Usually when this occurs the tags will correct themselves, but when spoiler tags are involved for some reason it does it twice. And when it happens with a long post with a lot of tags like that it can be hard to correct, because if you miss one it will cause it to happen again when you save.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Weird science. UBB code has changed since my admin days :( Is the new AdminCP as cumbersome and intricate as well?

Also. I have been running Pamplona very consistently all week. For a good while there nobody was taking advantage of it. Then suddenly people started existing, trickling in. I was trying to "[ice] Field of Dreams" this **** but worried. I'm not all that worried now. To the two players I haven't seen in a while that messaged me while I was nappin', your message was received and I am glad to hear from you. Here's hoping we do more stuff soon.

And guess who has ANOTHER DAY SHIFT TOMORROW?! Man! And I think I have another on thursday. This is kray kray. I'ts like the universe wants to help get this game going. C'mon boys, let's get that momentum rolling because god knows when I'm gonna get sledgehammered with a six day run of 3-11 shifts where I can only mod shortly before and then afterward

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Man did DGames die when I left or what

this place used to be hoppin, come back like a month later and there be no posts

Of the top 5 threads, TWO are my games from 2011 and 2012! That should not be.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I'm not doing much online stuff right now because I'm trying to adjust to college.

Vult Redux

Smash Lord
NNID
Voluero
i tried to save dgames but it was you all that flopped!! you!!!

i am a faultless angel, a tragic hero who died for a lost cause

we need a fresh, new, better dgames where ryker and especially GHEB aren't allowed because they ruin all the fun

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Got super busy with school and finally finished, but now I'm trying to catch up with the student loan, car loan, and recover from a pinched nerve in my spinal column which ended up causing me to have sciatica. Was bed ridden for 6 weeks.

Even before finals, I got bacterial tonsilitis, which **** all over my parade for a couple weeks.

2016 is basically the worst year of my life and everything has sucked aside from finishing school, lol.

We livin' though.

Last edited:

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Liking a post like that makes me feel weird

I'm not liking that that stuff happened it's a show of support or whatever

Thingyman

Smash Cadet
Hi guys

For those interested, the finale of the Mafia Championship Season 3 ended a bit over a week ago, and you can read the game here: http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/threads/3255-Season-3-Final-Game-The-Koopa-Troop

136 communities, 10 games and almost 6 months. In the end, the townies took home the victory, and Whiskeyjack from the westeros community was crowned the ultimate champion :)

Interest in a hydra event?

At least a dozen different communities this year expressed an interest in a so-called "hydra event", so it's finally gonna happen. If you don't know what "hydra" means, it's when two people share the same account (two heads). So the idea is that each participating community can send one or multiple hydras of two players, the advantage of which is that it's maybe easier to be active when two players are both playing on the same account, and it's also just a lot of fun :)

So maybe your community would also be interested in this. If so and if you're wanting to play and have a partner, please send me a PM on this site within the next couple of weeks. I'll check back then and give you more information. Alternatively, you don't need to, but if you want, you can also go ahead and directly sign up in this thread, which also has a bit more info: http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/threads/3597-Hydra-Event-2016

Thingyman

Smash Cadet
Since this is only outlined in the linked thread, I'll clarify that the game start would be between end Sept and mid Oct. If a pair of you are interested, I'd send you a Doodle in 1-2 weeks and schedule it more precisely with you.

Vult Redux

Smash Lord
NNID
Voluero
who wants to play that hydra game with me? i am 110% guaranteed to bother you incessantly with paranoid theories and bad ideas on skype. also i am the biggest flip-flopper in the world whose reads change depending on mood so we can exacerbate that by giving me another hydra head. pick me

Top Bottom