• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I'll be on for the bulk of tomorrow. Citizens of Pamplona take heed

Also, the following people don't seem to exist... BUT based on their past reliability I DO have faith that they would exist if they knew I was done boy-who-cried-wolfing and the game has actually, like for reals, started. Get the word to them, if you know them? Would seriously appreciate it. Facebook em, text em, whatever literally anything you can do to help

Lost Souls:

Gova
Moth
Kantrip
Jdietz
Soup
Gorf

People I'm less sure of but don't want to give up on entirely yet

J
Tom

Any residents of Pamplona that got burned out waiting for me to finish my aeon of prep but would seriously be down if they could only finally trust/believe me... Just. Believe. Do it. If you find yourself on AIM tomorrow, you'll find yourself AGaming in all likelihood. That simple. Help me help you guys make memories I swear you're never ever gonna forget :)

Nothing actives up DGames like an AGame.... I'm justtttt sayin

(anyone else interested in moving to a horror-mystery-godknowswhat town???)

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
rooms low on life and has been for a while

is there anything that can be done or are we stuck like this?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not any more busy than when I first joined here really. I'm just not very drawn to any mafia games.

y'know I started using Discord the other week, is a dgames Discord something people might be interested in? Idk I guess that's an alternative to the forums but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
God, why are people so ****ing stupid? Some cops shoot people. Regardless of your ****ing opinion on the matter, this does not ****ing clear you to shoot all cops. Why in the world would you want to create MORE broken families?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm more surprised it didn't happen sooner.

People naturally think their ingroup is more complex than the outgroup. "We" are diverse and varied. "They" are (insert generalized phrase). It even happens in the smash community. MK players, Sheik players, Melee vs. Brawl, Smash vs. FGC, whatever. Ingroup/outgroup.

Cops in Dallas aren't the cops that shot people recently. But they're part of the "outgroup". Because they're part of the outgroup, they are all the same. There is 0 difference because they are "cops" and "cops are _____". Fill in the blank with whatever. Pigs, heroes, honorable people, liars, murderers, whatever.

Black guy gets shot? Do a quick mental check -- they a part of your "ingroup" or "outgroup"? Well all blacks are _____. Criminals, innocent bystanders minding their own business, hunted unfairly by cops, too stupid to follow the rules. Fill in the blank depending on which "side" you are on.

The reason we can separate this into "sides" despite it being a massively grey and nuanced issue is that we naturally choose an "ingroup" and then define that ingroup in opposition of the outgroup. There is no room for nuance.

"WTF is wrong with that stupid idiot! Shooting cops! That won't do any good, he's a monster, he..."

Ingroup / outgroup.

Has nothing to do with morals. Has nothing to do with belief. Has to do with ingroup / outgroup. Always and forever. The shooter is in the outgroup and we define ourselves in opposition to his actions. It doesn't matter who he is, what his reasons are, or why he's doing it. Outgroup = bad, Outgroup = not us.

Cop kills some poor black guy, again -- ingroup / outgroup.

Things happen back-to-back? Doesn't matter. You can hold two conflicting opinions. You probably do. Called cognitive dissonance. "All cops are murderers", "Murderers deserve death", "People shouldn't shoot cops" are three conflicting and distinct statements that can all logically live inside the same head because it's all ingroup/outgroup.

We would never shoot a black guy like that. We aren't murderers. They are murderers.

We deserve life because we don't murder. Murderers don't deserve life because they do murder.

We don't shoot cops. We aren't murderers. They are murderers.

Logically consistent despite being at odds with one another because it's all from an ingroup/outgroup perspective.

Watch the news about all this and you'll see that 100% of the time it is an ingroup/outgroup scenario. It transfers to just about everything... whenever you see a "side", it is always, ALWAYS ingroup vs. outgroup.

The ingroup is always complex, nuanced, and varied. The outgroup is always the same.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
The majority of humans is just utterly incapable of any kind of self-reflection, I feel. How many people are there that actually know themselves well, that know their own weaknesses and shortcomings and are able to change themselves from within just through sheer self-awareness? There's an easy way to find it out - just confront somebody with a statement that completely contradicts his views and see how he reacts. Surely, the first reaction from the majority of people would be to dismiss it as a statement so contradictory to one's own believes that it cannot possibly be right. That default assumption of naturally being 'right' gives you a lot of insight on how unreflectedly people look at themselves. After all, the statement you made in this example doesn't have to be wrong in any way - it doesn't even matter if it's right or wrong. Sometimes I even tend to think that being right is completely irrelevant in this world. Politicians don't become successful by being right about things, they become successful by catering towards peoples' views. That's part of the reason why 2016 is between Hillary and Trump and not between Sanders and Gary Johnson. They can be wrong all they want, as long as they don't challenge a group's believes or make people question their own views they'll find support by a majority.

That's the kind of thinking that seems to be prevalent among ... most individuals. When it starts resonating within a group of like-minded people it becomes the group's thinking, but it's still a flawed way of thinking nonetheless. It promotes a way of thinking of we versus they instead of you and I and that's where things are bound to become disastrous. That's exactly what seems to be happening right now.

:059:

Last edited:

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
So I'm a mod now.

It's mostly for The Cold-related reasons, but I will of course do regular mod stuff and font be shy to ask for help with stuff! I promise my response time will be faster than the current staff's "sometime this century" M.O. ;)

Good to be back.

Orboknown Orboknown when did you last hear from ditzy??

@TheKingofKoopas hey guy remember Pamplona Point? PM me we gotta chat. I might have to replace you and it's a shame cuz you seemed super down with Svetlana and I too was super down. But I promise the game has FINALLY begun -- for real! -- and I'd be most stoked to keep you in Ms Blund's expensive boots

Anybody know where soup got to? He was JUST here

Last edited:

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Also, OS's social observation skills are in point. While getting my crim degree I gravitated toward doing research on what I like to call "bogeyman" subjects (violent criminals, violent criminal recidivists, terrorists, shooters etc) and the amount of us/them divide a lot of it boils down to or at least is influenced by is a little unreal. It permeates other criminological arenas in less blatant ways too i.e. missing persons cases

Otherization -->Oversimplification ---> irrational hate --> irrational action. You can see it everywhere from your facebook feed (those DAMN muslims/gays/rednecks/libtards/rapefugees/etc) to the internet browser history of the latest "self-radicalized" killer

.......sighhhhhhh why cant I just get a job looking at stuff like this. I can't believe I'm saying this but I actually miss college research

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Also for the ultimate tale of police tragedy and the embodiment of irony, look up the two cops murdered in cold blood in NYC back in 2014. Mentally ill black perpetrator with a very very similar axe to grind, except ..... His victims ended up being a Hispanic guy and a Chinese guy

It wouldn't be less tragic if they were white, but it would be less... Just... Ugh.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
So I'm a mod now.

It's mostly for The Cold-related reasons, but I will of course do regular mod stuff and font be shy to ask for help with stuff! I promise my response time will be faster than the current staff's "sometime this century" M.O. ;)

Good to be back.

Orboknown Orboknown when did you last hear from ditzy??

@TheKingofKoopas hey guy remember Pamplona Point? PM me we gotta chat. I might have to replace you and it's a shame cuz you seemed super down with Svetlana and I too was super down. But I promise the game has FINALLY begun -- for real! -- and I'd be most stoked to keep you in Ms Blund's expensive boots

Anybody know where soup got to? He was JUST here
Couple weeks ago but hes literally online right now so im hitting him up and seeing what happens

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Evil Eye Evil Eye I'll see if I'll talk to you tomorrow about stuff. I was getting over a cold as well. :D

Maven89

Smash Master
I consider myself a progressive conservative, I was fairly happy with my choices. Now I see the parties moving towards insane reactionaries and crazy liberals, who then went around and nominated what amounts to George Bush and I don't-even-know-what with Trump. I was all on board with gay marriage, but now I'm either some troglodyte because I think gender is a biological definition, or I'm immoral because I don't find transexuals to be filthy perverts after our children. I'm crossing fingers the Republican party blowup will result in a reasonable conservative party to be found, because damn. What's an American to do.

Last edited:

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Dude, I spend my money and I have a ton of fun. It's called saving enough money and not being a ***** and doing things.
You may have the time, but working from 5-3 every day is a little different than a normal 8 hour week. Most of my free time is on Saturday unless I can get off early. I just want to know how I can find time to date girls, play games, and hang out with friends. It's like every week I get to choose one and hopefully it doesn't conflict with anyones plans.

Maven89

Smash Master
You prioritize what you want most, no one has the time to play around, hang out with their friends, and date unless they're unemployed or cutting back heavily on two of those.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Yeah when i get off of work in the afternoon i hit the gym for 45 minutes ish then after i eat i game a couple hours i end up skyping the girlfriend. Its a lot of time management and doing 1 or 2 hours of stuff here and there. It helps i get less sleep than most people do

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
I consider myself a progressive conservative, I was fairly happy with my choices. Now I see the parties moving towards insane reactionaries and crazy liberals, who then went around and nominated what amounts to George Bush and I don't-even-know-what with Trump. I was all on board with gay marriage, but now I'm either some troglodyte because I think gender is a biological definition, or I'm immoral because I don't find transexuals to be filthy perverts after our children. I'm crossing fingers the Republican party blowup will result in a reasonable conservative party to be found, because damn. What's an American to do.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
You may have the time, but working from 5-3 every day is a little different than a normal 8 hour week. Most of my free time is on Saturday unless I can get off early. I just want to know how I can find time to date girls, play games, and hang out with friends. It's like every week I get to choose one and hopefully it doesn't conflict with anyones plans.
I get up at 5:45 am and I get back home at 4:30, so........

You get used to the schedule. Use your Saturdays to their fullest. Make plans and then don't flake. Go bowling. Go to the waterpark. Plan a trip to Disney World for next summer. DO things, don't say you'll do them.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Also WHERE IS KANTY? WHERE IS SOUP?

People are mostly not dead and finally believe this game is happening which it is! I have replacements for the players Ive lost faith in! Where are those buttnuggets?!

Spak Spak find me on AIM tonight and we'll see about who you're replacing. It's looking like J is the player in most dire need of replacing, but either way have a gander at the game thread to familiarize with the game world

@Jdietz43 Resume existence as before so I can make the joke that "you all thought it would be a cold day in SHELL before this game started, but..."

Orboknown Orboknown you should find me on AIM too. One of my secret characters dropped out abruptly a few weeks ago (:glare: :mad088:) but worked well enough as an NPC. However there are things I would prefer not to godmod about the character that could actually be handled 99% via PM (I believe the AIMing and regular availability weighed against your career were why you ended up unable to play?)

That's it.

@GoldShadow tagging you only because I think tonight's event was of interest to you despite that you probably wouldn't be joining in, plus we had that stuff we needed to do but couldn't cuz other players were inactive

That's basically it. Aghghghg so glad this game is finally rollin forward

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Also WHERE IS KANTY? WHERE IS SOUP?

People are mostly not dead and finally believe this game is happening which it is! I have replacements for the players Ive lost faith in! Where are those buttnuggets?!

Spak Spak find me on AIM tonight and we'll see about who you're replacing. It's looking like J is the player in most dire need of replacing, but either way have a gander at the game thread to familiarize with the game world

@Jdietz43 Resume existence as before so I can make the joke that "you all thought it would be a cold day in SHELL before this game started, but..."

Orboknown Orboknown you should find me on AIM too. One of my secret characters dropped out abruptly a few weeks ago (:glare: :mad088:) but worked well enough as an NPC. However there are things I would prefer not to godmod about the character that could actually be handled 99% via PM (I believe the AIMing and regular availability weighed against your career were why you ended up unable to play?)

That's it.

@GoldShadow tagging you only because I think tonight's event was of interest to you despite that you probably wouldn't be joining in, plus we had that stuff we needed to do but couldn't cuz other players were inactive

That's basically it. Aghghghg so glad this game is finally rollin forward
Yeah i can do that mate.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I work from 8:15 to 4:30, go home, and then work on Master's stuff until around 9:00 p.m. on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays.

On Wednesdays, I get home from work and visit my grandmother until around 8:00 p.m.

On Friday, I try to dedicate some time to my wife / leisure activities we can do together

At the same time same time I'm working on Unity game dev stuff and doing independent research.

The amount I "get done" each week depends solely on priorities. If I prioritize game dev, I get way more game dev done. If I prioritize Master's stuff, I get Master's stuff done. It's all about picking winners or losers in your life and switching gears to keep it all going.

When I first started dating my now wife, my friends didn't see me for maybe 4 months. Priorities changed. Went from playing board games regularly to none, seeing friends every other day to nearly never. Now have wife, combined the two; see friends WITH my wife regularly. That kinda deal.

Priorities is how you do it.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
I'm here to not be a butt. Tell me what I need to do.

Evil Eye Evil Eye

If aim makes me make my account AGAIN I might have to be still a butt but we'll see.

Last edited:

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Nevermind it worked. I'm adding you even though I'm sure you're dreaming about putting me in a chokehold for being gone.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
@#HBC | ѕoup

Only slightly but actually for the most part, no. Unreal rollercoaster of BS life problems aside, I still totally get that people lost faith in the game and I can't blame them at all. Plus you own a tavern, and we're only like 1/3rd done D1 atm. Even the bluest collar town doesn't have THAT many day drunks.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
So I have gotten pretty good at gamedev stuff at this point and am gonna be able to make some fun little games I want to make on my own. I have lots more I could learn related to coding or game dev, but it's to the point of minimal returns; I can make games now, everything else is optimization and the like.

At this point, any "learning" I do at this point is going to be related to new skills. I don't think I want to get into 3D modeling, won't likely get into music farther than I have already, basically "game dev" is mostly tapped.

So I'm going to be looking for new things to do. I have two twin boys being born sometime in August or September, so I think being a "responsible parent" means that this is going to need to be something that can make some sort of money at some point.

Any suggestions or ideas on what my next step should be?

I think changing the world could be pretty cool. Doing something useful.

I've looked into using atmospheric plasma as a disinfectant protocol for medical instruments. Autoclaves clean things with high temperature water (steam, basically). After a colonoscopy they just rinse off the tool, put it in an autoclave, and then it is disinfected. Scalpel? Same thing. Autoclaves take an hour to use and atmospheric plasma would have similar effects with basically instant results in comparison. Matter of minutes. Autoclaves also don't do anything with prions, which are very heat resistant. I need to do more research on plasma used in this regard, but it should work -- prions that fold improperly are what causes things like mad cow disease and alzheimers.

I've looked into vertical farming. I don't have much of a green thumb, but I think indoor vertical farming could be an amazing thing. Low-cost LEDs powered by solar panels allowing for year-round fruits and vegetables. Dunno how you could do tree-fruit or grasses(wheat) yet. Looking at existing vertical farms, they're mostly hydroponic or aeroponic systems that aren't easily scalable. I think having a sort of "ferris wheel" system shaped like an ellipse would be neat. Design it to be modular, so that way someone in a house could have a stack 4 trays high on each side for a total of 8 trays, but someone in a warehouse could have it 30 trays on each side. Elliptical shape would save more room than a rectangle or circle, allow for easier space saving.

Education is neat and my field, but ultimately is more expensive than the last two options to change! Most "education" is worthless, high school included, and is culturally driven rather than need-driven. If I had a school created that could drastically improve learning, it wouldn't necessarily improve outcomes because learning is like 10% of what is needed.

I thought about solving some gambling games, but most of the work has already been done. I solved Roulette with a two-man system, but the amount of time it takes is cost prohibitive.

Give me some of your ideas! Or problems that you think need to be solved that could help humanity.

(also, wtf is up with smashboards? It is constantly loading new advertisement info)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Maybe when my kids are born

If I did it would just have to be a generic "how to be awesome" book that just tells you how to win at life

Top Bottom