• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
From what I saw you were inflexible with your reads and didn't work on developing them or justifying them when people would present criticism. Sometimes when another lynch would go through you would change your target, but the substantiation behind that change would be minimal and I wouldn't be able to really track your reasoning behind your voting patterns.
Depends.

If I have to deal with stupid "yuck", "this is gross" or "I don't like this post" comments from Kary, J or whoever else tends to make such posts chances are I'm not gonna see much of a point explaining or justifying the things I do because it's inevitably going to be a waste of time for everybody. But there's a reason why you won't hear people like Ryker, Maven or Del complain about the way I play at least not too loudly. And there's people like Sang who tend to get irritated by my way of playing but suck it up, deal with it as it comes and do fine anyway.

Not saying that you're necessarily wrong about me though. But if you read some of the older games where I played with ... different people ... you'll see different aspects about how I play that I currently find hard to replicate. Playing with people like ... Katefi, July, marshy, EE, vanderzant .... is just a different thing.

:059:

Last edited:

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
Depends. If I have to deal with stupid "yuck", "this is gross" or "I don't like this post" comments from Kary, J or whoever else tends to make such posts chances are I'm not gonna see much of a point explaining or justifying the things I do because it's inevitably going to be a waste of time for everybody. But there's a reason why you won't hear people like Ryker, Maven or Del complain about the way I play at least not too loudly. And there's people like Sang who tend to get irritated by my way of playing but suck it up, deal with it as it comes and do fine anyway. Not saying that you're necessarily wrong about me though. But if you read some of the older games where I played with ... different people ... you'll see different aspects about how I play that I currently find hard to replicate. Playing with people like ... Katefi, July, marshy, EE, vanderzant .... is just a different thing. :059:
True. I've had my fair share of games where I'm pretty despondent after I've exhausted all the points I've had to make. That or I just find the behavior to be so transparently scum i.e. FF 9 mafia where the entire game was J's slot just tunneling me for a period of 5-6 weeks straight that it came across as so inorganic to me that I couldn't help but fos her slot back until it got lynched and yet town refused to lynch either of us despite me getting to the point where I self-voted because no one wanted to lynch J because somehow it was the most natural thing for people see one slot tunnel down on another over the span of months. Much less playing to meta, but hardcore tunneling was not even typical J play looking at her game play before and after that one.

Not to mention because I wasn't familiar with the town clear / innocent child role, I had to resort to forum blocking JTB in the game just so I wouldn't be tempted to waste time defending myself against someone who was the established clear repeatedly fos-ing me throughout the entire game because I had spent so much time defending that I couldn't contribute anything else if I didn't block him to just ignore anything he had to push in favor of me looking at the game and trying to get reads.

Last edited:

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
If I have to deal with stupid "yuck", "this is gross" or "I don't like this post" comments from Kary, J or whoever else tends to make such posts chances are I'm not gonna see much of a point explaining or justifying the things I do because it's inevitably going to be a waste of time for everybody. But there's a reason why you won't hear people like Ryker, Maven or Del complain about the way I play at least not too loudly. And there's people like Sang who tend to get irritated by my way of playing but suck it up, deal with it as it comes and do fine anyway.
Sorry about the 'yuck' thing. The funny thing is when I read through games, I have all sorts of 'responses' that I want to post, but they don't really add anything to the discussion, they're just like, reactions. I try and cut them out before I actually get to replying, but sometimes they slip through. If I reply with something that isn't a question, I probably don't care if you ignore it.

w.r.t. your play, I think you should explain things if you want people to follow you. If it's just reads, then w/e. But you're never going to convince anyone without some sort of argument. *shrug*

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I think Gheb is to the newer players as KevinM was to us. Doesn't spoonfeed people so people don't understand what he is actually doing so he gets targetted. People who have played with him many times before will understand what he is doing and if he's genuine.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
And like kevinm, the frustration comes at trying to tease out info that can be used for a read. Of course making yourself easily readable is not your obligation as a mafia player, nor does it necessarily contribute to victory even as town.

Last edited:

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Also, Gheb is never salty. I would like to hear how he sounds in Skype Mafia.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
It always amuses me to see how people perceive me and how little sense it makes from my pov. Neither am I frustrated nor am I targeted a lot. I really just shrug off stuff 90% of the time tbh.

:059:

giraffelasergun

Smash Lord
Hi Dgames its me GLG and its time for my somewhat irregular stop into the social thread. I'm looking to get a new 3DS game, does anyone know if Stella glow is good? If it isn't, does anyone know what game that is like it that's better? FE:Fates not coming out until february is really putting a damper on my portable gaming plans.

Hope everything is going well etc. I know I don't post here that much but that doesn't mean I don't still love you guys.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I actually thoroughly enjoy having Gheb in a mafia game. Yes, his playstyle is frustrating, but he thinks things through properly and if you can figure out where his comments come from you often find new perspectives. He's a source of information if you bother putting the effort into it, but he won't throw it into the open, meaning if you reach his point of view you too have a decision to make with the information you have. Honestly if I'm playing my optimal style, I play similarily for the first half of the game, i.e. Swag Halloween Mafia. Only tell what you want others to know. It's way harder, because every post is a decision in "what information I have should be out in the open and what effect will it have on the game?". The negatives are that there is not always a paper trail, at a random day Gheb can show up and be like "yeah I agree 100% with this case" and you dunno where it came from, lol. Also, he won't often generate much discussion/content, but in dGames that's not really a big issue at all.

I really hope the whole "gheb is antitown" circlejerk would end though, lol.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I definitely saw the odd game where I felt like Gheb had a bit of an antitown modus operandi, but it's not like he was saying and doing exclusively bad things... ever, lol. Actually what's funny is if he ever had a flaw that annoyed me it was the indignance toward suspicion and tendency to let irritation turn into OMGUS. Which is amusing because it's something we're now debating in the salt factory.

anyway I say all that only because I spectated Miyazaki Mafia and didn't see, literally, any of that type of behavior at all. And I pretty much never had objections to gheb's playstyle outside of that in the first place, so I'd say he dun good at improving b d

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Actually it's been really cool/enlightening to come back after years away and read games with old and new faces without personal attachments or biases (I avoided biases whilst in games, but spectating is a whole other story). I can see a lot of ways players have improved or regressed, would 100% say gheb's improved even if he has trouble feeling motivated or whatever

also don't hold me to this but I might be willing to unretire some day but only to play the Mastermind hydra. I guess L was fun too but I kinda like having L's only game ever be a ******* game that he won, it seems fitting, plus OS seems busy. But I liked playing with Ryker and talking to him about mafia a lot.

....but actually don't hold me to it because lol, just not likely. but it's possible. and 2 years ago it was fully impossible.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Hey EE let's play in a hydra sometime. I liked playing with you in that one game that I replaced into... and pulp fiction. Also, it is always interesting name searching myself in that great sea of text in Pulp Fiction. Was quite funny but I was sad at how my wrongness was used against J.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Might as well try. I'm trying to hydra with anyone at the moment. Hydras are fun.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Hmm. A different name maybe, but I'm sure we can find something. I like clever names.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Also I guess I just realized I'm a good kisser. That's nice to know.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Hi Dgames its me GLG and its time for my somewhat irregular stop into the social thread. I'm looking to get a new 3DS game, does anyone know if Stella glow is good? If it isn't, does anyone know what game that is like it that's better? FE:Fates not coming out until february is really putting a damper on my portable gaming plans.

Hope everything is going well etc. I know I don't post here that much but that doesn't mean I don't still love you guys.
Here's my 3DS library, right now. All good games I can heartily recommend.

Bravely Default
Pokemon Y
Pokemon Omega Ruby
Link Between Worlds
Fire Emblem Awakening
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse

That last one, in particular, is something a lot of people probably haven't heard of, and should check out. The Shantae series is a lot of fun, and nobody has heard of it. Fun action/adventure platformer, loosely metroidvania-like. The original Shantae, Risky's Revenge, and Pirate's Curse are all worth a go.

Last edited:

giraffelasergun

Smash Lord
Here's my 3DS library, right now. All good games I can heartily recommend.

Bravely Default
Pokemon Y
Pokemon Omega Ruby
Link Between Worlds
Fire Emblem Awakening
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse

That last one, in particular, is something a lot of people probably haven't heard of, and should check out. The Shantae series is a lot of fun, and nobody has heard of it. Fun action/adventure platformer, loosely metroidvania-like. The original Shantae, Risky's Revenge, and Pirate's Curse are all worth a go.
Thanks for your response. Just downloaded Pirate's curse off of eshop!

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
holy **** I literally came here just now to talk about how I kind of thoguht TFA was "just okay/decently good" and was wondering if anyone felt the same way

I sensed a disturbance in the Force

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I felt the same way really

prolly best moment was the end

Maven89

Smash Master
It was everything I wanted it to be. It was fun, space adventure movie with A+ characters and a nice corny B plot to keep them moving. It didn't fall into the trap of "let's pretend Star Wars is super deep and serious" and the humor was great and sprinkled about. My main problem with the story is that the whole finale had very little to do with the plot, but I still found it fun. It left me craving more

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I definitely found it fun, it actually made me laugh out loud a few times (mostly Han Solo). I'm looking forward to episode 8 whereas I watched Phantom Menace on VHS (remember that? **** remember video stores?) and literally felt no compulsion to watch ep 2-3 until a decade later when I watched them at the age of 24 which says pretty much everything. I'm glad I watched it and I have tons of good things to say about it but most people are sucking its **** like they want it to fall off so I figured I need to restore balance to the Force and all.

hella spoilers

I liked it, I enjoyed myself a lot. But even on first watch bias I'd have only given it like a 3.5/5 and after really mulling on the movie, honestly, I can only give it a 3.

After a lot of thought I've realized my issue is basically that almost every single character arc/characterization was undercooked and underwhelming.

I've discussed Fin. His character arc is basically "Greedo shot first" levels of wussiness on the writers' part. I don't care how good his heart is, the guy was brainwashed for like four times as he's been alive to kill and murder without remorse by a cult where free little is so nonexistent you can't take your damn helmet off without permission. And it's just literally, quantifiably better drama for him to actually do some bad things to redeem himself for. Imagine if he shot even just one person during that first raid and then later saw their kid and realized he'd just created the exact type of orphan he was with an equally hopeless future. Now that's something that would turn you into a PTSD-riddled mess. He could even stop a fellow stormtrooper from killing the kid, mistaking it for an adult, if you really need to juxtapose just now not your average ST Fin is. I like the idea that the primary reason he defects is cowardice and "can't deal with it" moreso than specific moral objection or what have you and wish we saw more of it (his "aight I'm out!" bit in the middle of the film was telegraphed and predictable)

Speaking of telegraphed and predictable, Han Solo. Now don't get me wrong, Ford absolutely killed it and felt like classic Han and that's just great. His banter with Chewie was as good as it's ever been and he made me laugh a lot. But his characterization is nonexistent, it's like the movie just kind of trips over itself with the "by the way Darth Ren is Ben Solo" reveal and Han's like "I guess I'll emote about that a little bit". Han Solo is a doubledealer of the highest order that has survived more on his wits than anything else this whole time, even as a Resistance hero. I don't buy for one second that he walked onto that catwalk so damn naively. Yeah sure it's his kid. Yeah, he wants to save him. Han Solo also isn't a moron and he understands the power of brainwashing and the Force. He didn't seem ready for the even vaguest possibility of what ended up happening even though I saw it coming a mile away. It literally just felt like Han Solo being like "alright this is the part of the movie where I die" and walking off to his preordained fate. And that's the problem. If that doesn't feel organic then where's the shock or awe or reverence? Feh. Anyway, if what they were going for was that Han knew Ben was deeply sucked into the dark side and only having faith in him and putting his life completely in his hands and power would bring him back, then neat, that's a good IDEA, but the execution didn't make that come across to me whatsoever.

Rey is cool, but so is everybody else. The problem is she has no character flaws. At all. Any. Think about her. Name literally one truly unique thing about her other than "omg girl Jedi". It feels like they got so wrapped up in the social impact of the first female Jedi that they just wrote her straight out of a Strong Female Characters textbook. I didn't care when she was getting abducted and didn't think for one second Fin was going to rescue her and sure enough she just mary sues her way out of basically every situation. I thought the whole "Anakin is naturally adept at the Force" storyline in the no-longer-new trilogy sucked because it was badly written and acted and had midichlorians, but maybe it sucked because bland characters whose whole thing is being naturally amazing at the Force is not compelling. What I like about the OT is that the characters succeed on their spirit moreso than being paragons of perfection. Luke has no training of literally any kind when he first finds out about the Jedi and the Resistance but his gung ho spirit and thirst for something more interesting and meaningful in life (and some decent reflexes) allowed him to acquire one skill after another until he took on Vader and won. Han isn't really all that tough, he's just a smart fast talker with steady aim. Rey should have and could have been compelling for her scrappy and street smart personality but they made her too good at ****ing everything for me to ever believe she was in danger or give a **** when they were pretending she was.

Leia basically didn't get to do anything. I'll reserve judgment and see how she pans out in episode 8 and then look back and see if they were building on things or building up unexpected twists as they did with her in the OT.

Poe is ... he's just there. He was a cool guy, I liked him. And that's kind of it. But I had almost no attachment to him and his not being dead was like "oh it's this guy again, he's pretty cool." They barely built up a single thing about him before he fake-died, so bringing him back literally just poops on one of the few bad things that they pretended to have happen to the good guys.

Kylo Ren was a weak and ineffectual villain. I loved his concept. I felt for him sometimes. He was not a block of wood which is refreshing given the last decade of onscreen Sith. But they made him look like a complete punk-*** *****. Remember how ****ing scary Darth Vader was? First scene he kills dozens of people with a mere thought and marches through their corpses. Later in the movie he takes on Obi Wan Kenobi, the guy repeatedly built up as verbatim "[the] only hope" for Leia and the Resistance, and kills him. Surprisingly easily at that. In ESB Luke has become a Jedi goes to take him on and you're kind of hyped, but also already pretty afraid for him. He literally only survives the damn fight because Vader was toying with him and took pity upon him, which is the most ballsy downery final fight in a movie ever. By the time they have a rematch in ROTJ and Luke is at full strength Vader has been successfully built up as truly a force of nature [no pun intended]. So now let's look at Darth Ren. He kills some redshirts at the start, alright. Catches a laserbeam just to show off -- awesome. ...why did he never do anything that truly impressive ever again? Literally all he does for the rest of the movie is fail to accomplish anything Force-related or otherwise and get absolutely humiliated by Rey. I felt no danger for Fin when they fought even though a cowardly, jittery guy with barely any training having his first light saber duel ever was clearly going to get wrecked by a Sith lord (I actually thought Fin might beat him, that was how unimpressed I was by him). Then he fights Rey right after and despite being even less formally trained than Fin (all she had going for her was her self taught staff fighting and a cooler head) and she doesn't even just stalemate him despite that that's what they were going for, she pretty much made him look like a *****. To say nothing of their Force interrogation duel. It seriously feels like they were so hell bent on building up Rey they completely forgot about this guy as far as villainy. I could not possibly be less afraid of or invested in Darth Ren. Ben Solo might end up being a good character arc, but he was not a good villain. The only thing of real consequence he accomplishes is killing Han Solo and that was basically handed to him by the fact that Han was being a damn moron about things -- but whatever let's headcanon it as Han expecting to die and playing to the 20% chance he could save his son. Except that's not any better lol. Kylo Ren just feels like a ton of good ideas and even more oversights and meh execution. CORY showed me the Emo Kylo Ren twitter yesterday and in addition to laugh out loud hilarious I find it an actually pretty accurate condemnation of what's wrong with his character.

Chewie is great. Chewie forever. But his rampage after they killed Han Solo should have totally been longer and more violent. Imagine if he just went truly ape**** -- I mean, Han Solo / Chewie was a ****ing 50 year bromance or something, literally his hetero life partner -- and the other good guys had to haul him away while he thrashes around. This sounds like a minor point and it is, but it's such a simple and easy way to make the scene pop more and would've given the wookie a chance to truly have some character. But yeah he basically ran out of guys to kill immediately so wasted opportunity. Other than that Chewie is the bomb and if he dies it'll be worse for my childhood than watching Bane literally beat it half to death in TDKR.

Luke -- just kidding I'm obviously not going to criticize Luke. I just wanted to say I find it really hilarious they made Mark Hamill lose like 60 pounds to be Luke again even though he's only in 20 silent seconds of the movie. I wonder if it had as much to do with not wanting him to die before they can finish the new trilogy as anything else.

lots of good things to say but they've already all been said

but with that said can I just say how nice it was to see lightsaber duels that actually look like people are trying to kill each other instead of ****ing choreographed dance moves and ballet

Wish List for episode 8:

Kylo Ren does something seriously heinous and nasty and early on, that makes him terrifying. Preferably also something in the middle and/or at the end.

Rey isn't perfect at everything and never in actual danger. Her compulsive absence of needing others to be there for her / help her should be a flaw if anything (think Aron Ralston in 127 Hours, I bet he wishes he wasn't so self-reliant now that he's only got one arm). You could accomplish this and the first thing by having her get reckless and try to take on Darth Ren early on

Maven89

Smash Master
1. I guess I can see this, but it'd go back to the "don't pretend Star Wars is super deep and serious". They could have had Finn murder people, but then they'd need to put more time into why he'd defect. As it is now, he's a naturally good person who was raised by evil people, and on his first mission he realized he couldn't be evil, and so he didn't shoot. Then his commanding officer demands he turns his blaster in for inspection, he realizes he's going to be punished for not shooting the people, so he flees.

2. Leia told him to bring back their son. My impression was he knew he could die, he already said before he thought his son was gone, but the mother of his child begged him to bring him home. So tried to do what he did best, talk his way out of it. I actually thought this was really clear, it was more for Leia then it was for Ben.

3. Yeah Rey is pretty overpowered, fair enough. Pretty sure she's Luke's daughter though. Also, people being strong with the Force was always there, in the original trilogy the Emperor keeps saying things like "The Son of Skywalker must not be allowed to become a Jedi", implying to me that he'd be a stronger Jedi because his father was a strong jedi. Then Luke himself beats Vader despite only having a week of training with Yoda where yoda just tells him a few things and helps him levitate rocks. Luke just had the Force. Also I think Han Solo knew it was Luke's daughter.

4. Kylo Ren's entire thing is that he really wants to be a badass, but isn't. I thought that was clearly demonstrated by his temper tantrums. I loved his character and loved the way they developed him, I want to see more. I guess I disagree with you, because I do find an immature person who flies into rage semi-scary. Also, he was gut shot by Chewbacca with the crossbow that they established blows people 20 feet back when hit by it. Ren got shot in the stomach with it before his fights with Finn/Rey, they kept bringing attention to this fact during the fight. He had to keep beating his chest to take his mind off the pain. Ren wasn't just a punk, he was horribly injured and shouldn't have sought them out at all, but did because he thinks he's Darth Vader. Then Rey cut his face. They then make mention that Ren never completed his training. I'm really interested to see what's going to happen to him in the next movies, I'm guessing his storyline is going to parrell's Rey's with both of them going through training.

I guess I don't disagree with you as much as I thought, I just don't think what you listed is really that important at all. I'd give it a 4.5. It's better then most of Return of the Jedi (minus Luke/Vader/Emporer scenes and Jabba the Hutt Palace), and a lot of it comes off more as "well, this is how I would do it

Last edited:

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Your observations have made me retroactively like the movie a tiny bit more. I'll watch for those things when I inevitably vomit my way through episodes 1-3 and then watch 4-6 mostly happy and rewatch TFA

Top Bottom