• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

Rajam

Smash Champion
Whenever I think about that game I always have a mini freak out moment because you made a post and ended it with something about having to hurry because you were about to miss your bus and I'm always worried that you didn't actually make the bus and had to spend a night sitting out in the cold canadian winter. I don't think I even asked if you made the bus but I still worry about it.

(and then i have the second thought that maybe this was just a scum lie in which case it would have been the best scum lie I've ever seen in a game because I'm still thinking about it probably 6 years later)
I wonder what are the best / funniest lies scum have told during the history of DGames...

vote: Swishy
This is the scummiest post in the whole game.
I'm going to assume that was a mafia quick hammer and that's game.
asdfasdfsdaf no one will believe this, but it wasn't me who hammered Swishy. I've been teaching mafia to my little brother, by showing him also this game; he and I had a discussion last week though, and he got mad and as a revenge started to do several stupid things; among those, he took my computer when I was away and did a whole mess, wrote idiotic things on my Facebook page, and also casted the vote on Swishy whom I explained to him earlier was a town read of mine. Honestly at this point I don't have any solid reads, everyone is basically null and suspicious, so I'd like to ask each one their reads on all the other remaining players.
Was I the only one completely convinced that Rajam's little brother was behind the quickhammer?

Last edited:

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Catherine Mafia was still one of my proudest set-ups.

Speaking of, I'll be trying to host a game soon so I really miss doing that.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Happy bday joker!

My best scum play was fakeclaiming masons with Overswarm in bioware mafia.
:059:
I remember that one, it was the one my claim destroyed on flip :p

Also I nominate swiss' triple town roleblockers in britches and hoes mafia as best ever. Dude managed to convince town through sheer force of personality, it was insane.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I just wanna say, loving bard's game trying to pump some love into the community.

I'm just addicted to splatoon over here.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Also I nominate swiss' triple town roleblockers in britches and hoes mafia as best ever. Dude managed to convince town through sheer force of personality, it was insane.
Uh I made that setup and IIRC there were three roleblockers ... one for each alignment ;P

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Ya, it's actually hilarious how strong Swiss' town control is, I like to think I played well that game but I got nothing on swiss' ability to convince people that anything is reasonable.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I loved hydraing with Swiss.

Our strategy, even as far back as Dissidia, was that we could do anything we wanted in the Day Phase. In the end, we were unlynchable. That meant we just had to handle how we were perceived to influence how night actions went.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
The problem was that nobody had the balls to actually push for a lynch against them. Even if they were just blatantly scummy ... they didn't need logic. The reason for that ... I have said it many times in the past and I don't wanna repeat it anymore.

I think there's only like 4 or 5 players at best that would not actually hold back on lynching them if it came down to it ... that'd probably be Laundry and dudes like Overswarm, EE and myself. Everybody else would just get ... out-ego'd. So yeah, if you ever get 4 such players together in one game and have them not be paranoid about each other being potentially scum then it could've happened at one point.

... I think. I don't actually remember playing with that slot a whole lot so I could be totally wrong.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Well, at the end of the day, it was knowing your audience. We could get more and more outrageous as the game went on and such players died.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Alex gets mentioned but not me? No offense to my boy but that's a teeny bit saddening.

The issue is that lynching Ryker/Swiss requires so many resources, all the while walking a tightrope. You **** up once in your wording or approach and meet the grave. Green rooms are pretty cozy though!

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
The problem was that nobody had the balls to actually push for a lynch against them. Even if they were just blatantly scummy ... they didn't need logic. The reason for that ... I have said it many times in the past and I don't wanna repeat it anymore.

I think there's only like 4 or 5 players at best that would not actually hold back on lynching them if it came down to it ... that'd probably be Laundry and dudes like Overswarm, EE and myself. Everybody else would just get ... out-ego'd. So yeah, if you ever get 4 such players together in one game and have them not be paranoid about each other being potentially scum then it could've happened at one point.

... I think. I don't actually remember playing with that slot a whole lot so I could be totally wrong.

It comes down to power of perception and at the end of the day, mafia is about influencing people. In a game with other players who are less vulnerable to being influenced that way (eg bioware mafia) his advantage dimishes, but in game like britches and hoes, catching him in a clearly impossible situation isn't enough. It sure as hell wasn't that I didn't go out to lynch him, lord knows I have no compunctions about aggressively going after anyone I think is scum (even if I myself are scum), but that's useless if the rest of town views him as unlynchable. In that case the only way to accomplish it is with a player who is a similarly strong personality.

Not saying it's a bad thing, town control is a skill and I admire it but it's just frustrating to catch scum in clear lies and not being able to do anything about it because town control isn't your forte. That's why I like to hydra with dominate personalities.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
lol, it was a good shot, didn't know the game would develop along those lines. Thought swiss was town at that point, then I realized I misunderstood his crumb and he was clearly scum.

That game was really fun though.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Man. Clashing with Swiss was AMAZING to watch play out. I've had a couple scenarios where I wanted him dead and those have been some of my favorite verbal jousts in my mafia career.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I miss playing Mafia...

but it's the start of the semester at work, I'm basically swamped all day at work as a result. Starting my masters even though I don't want to, have a list of games I still need to play, am working on like three indie projects (one serious with a team, two hobby projects), am working on a game design youtube channel outline to see if I'm interested aaaaaaaaaand I've got normal married life upkeep.

:|

Maybe hosting? How does hosting even work here anymore?

I still have a collection of games I want to run, one in particular is pretty tempting. A Death Note mafia variant that is... unique.

Last edited:

Wots All This Then?

Smash Lord
I miss playing Mafia...

but it's the start of the semester at work, I'm basically swamped all day at work as a result. Starting my masters even though I don't want to, have a list of games I still need to play, am working on like three indie projects (one serious with a team, two hobby projects), am working on a game design youtube channel outline to see if I'm interested aaaaaaaaaand I've got normal married life upkeep.

:|

Maybe hosting? How does hosting even work here anymore?

I still have a collection of games I want to run, one in particular is pretty tempting. A Death Note mafia variant that is... unique.
Throw a thread down. Get signups. Cash moneh

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
I'll sign up for an OS game any day. Mainly because they usually end up with a story and have intricate PR lines.

Just not ******* style OS, normal OS I can handle.

Fandangox

Smash Lord
Same, Overswarm games always seem interesting, I tend to read them if I am not playing.

Also I have been wanting to do a shin megami tensei themed game, but I have yet to even host my first game..

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
Wtf Overswarm how do you do it? Just the basic school + work combo stresses me out immensely, if I was in your position I would commit seppuku.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I'm in the process of starting a mini/newbie game with like 3 completely new and 2 semi-new players. So uh, if you're willing to wait for a couple of weeks there's a good chance you'll be able to fill a moderately big game.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Wtf Overswarm how do you do it? Just the basic school + work combo stresses me out immensely, if I was in your position I would commit seppuku.

Honestly this is the first time in my life where I could say I am "stressed" in any capacity, but it'll slow down after August is over and work slows down.

The only advice I have is to enjoy doing well at everything and to not consider the inability to do something (like play a video game) a punishment.

I wake up around 7, get back home from work around 5, take my puppy out, work on one of three or four projects, then either play Splatoon (Wednesdays), do something with wife/family like watch a show on Netflix, then cover responsibilities (chores, studying, learning new programs), then go back to a project I didn't work on earlier before and/or play CS:GO or Witcher 3. That's basically my day Monday-Friday. Saturdays I wake up when I wake up, sit at computer, open up a project, then work on it until 5 or 6 with as few interruptions as possible, then I eat, then I do something with wife or learn to oil paint better. Sundays I wake up a bit later than on Saturday, spend time with wife for short while before she leaves with the puppy to visit her parents, then I work on Spiff Spacely Saves the Universe if I haven't already and have my weekly meeting with the Frozen Walrus team until 4 p.m. or so. Then I begin working on the outline for a game design Youtube channel and/or create tools to help some of my friends learn game design (large file). Then I open up one of my projects and finish more objectives and/or play CS:GO or Witcher 3 or Splatoon and then stop when my wife gets home.

It is awful scheduling fun, but seeing actual progress with things is a huge benefit. In one project my partner and I have a basic board game movement set up, in another I have a two-player 2D puzzle platformer with some neat puzzle mechanics relating to color with a full menu and level select and a few levels built and it actually has animations and sound effects, in another I have a full 3D environment with no gameplay elements but it looks the way I want it to look, in Spiff Spacely I see our stories getting better and our art assets are getting more and more awesome. I see myself slowly learning to paint (never having done much artistic in my life), I surprise myself when I sit down with Unity because I actually know how to program to a certain extent now and things just happen when I open up MonoDevelop. Without having all of this stuff on my plate every week I wouldn't be learning anything I could build on, so it'd feel like wasted time.

That said when my Master's starts it's going to screw up my schedule >_>

My Death Note game isn't a huge game and it involves money. Like IRL money. It's all funneled into one pot via Paypal or Amazon gift cards or the like, then used as fake currency within the game, then at the end spread back out. There's obviously more to it than that, but the handling of IRL money is a big factor. Actual paper trails and motivation.

Top Bottom