• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Man, I keep forgetting that SWF is the Marth fanboy club! You're all right guys Marth isn't MK but he almost is and if it weren't for MK Marth would be at least top 1 on the tierlist and all his disadvantageous matchups would magically become even and all his even matchups would magically become advantageous. How could I forget what I was taught in 2010 :awesome:

Still, Marth as an [unlockable] alt-costume for Lucina would've been more than enough.

Though I agree that Sheik could've been cut too and replaced by another LoZ character. Would've loved to see Bayonetta, Isaac, Lloyd or Kratos / Zelos as newcomers as well. Though I'm very happy with virtually all of the newcomers, especially Shulk.

:059:
Get real gheb, you've been saying this from day 1 one even though his results and matchups always justified him being a high tier character. Not "omg, he'll destroy everyone without MK to hold him down", but still damn strong, mostly because his matchups are generally even to slightly advantageous with the top characters in the game except for MK.

Your insistence that marth is absolute trash has pretty much always been against all common sense and continues to be to this day.

that's 4 total games, 2 of which are remakes. there are 13 total games, 3 of which are remakes. that makes marth either in 2/10 actual games or 4/13 total games, however you wanna see it. i'm not arguing that he's the icon, i'm saying that it's ******** that he's the icon because the damn franchise itself doesn't even consider him the icon. the protagonists switch, the stories switch. that's the thing about fire emblem. if they wanted it to be a marth centered series they would. but THE FANS made it a marth centered series. and it's dumb.
And it's the fan's opinion that matters here, well at least what Japanese exectutive think is the fan's opinion.

That's really all it's about, smash is a fanservice game that's also a fighter, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever that they'd deviate from fan favorites because "he's not a modern lord". That's silly.

A reasonable argument would be convincing people that his overall popularity is too low, but japan is notoriously japan-centriic in their thinking so even if it's true, good luck on that.

dude i can't believe im saying this but gbizzle is completely right.
I'd be fine with you not posting here any more :p

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
What the actualy **** are you smoking man. Gimme some of it anyway.

:059:
Come on, you're the "marth is bottom tier" guy, it's been your hat since like brawl was released. Don't fight it, embrace it.

i know. i just think the opinion is dumb
and I think your opinion is dumb, fan favorites is what the fans connect with, that's the entire point of the current nostalgia boom. You don't like a character, fine. But don't go acting like a character's inclusion is wrong because other people's metric for heir nostalga is wrong, that's just douchey.

Last edited:

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
the opinion is that he's the mascot for fire emblem. which is a dumb opinion. and it's not a metric for their nostalgia, it's a metric for their boners. and by your logic doesn't calling my opinion douchey make YOU douchey?

Last edited:

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Don't call him a "mascot" then. Fire Emblem doesn't technically have a "mascot", but Marth is absolutely the most popular character. You can't really refute that.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
the opinion is that he's the mascot for fire emblem. which is a dumb opinion. and it's not a metric for their nostalgia, it's a metric for their boners. and by your logic doesn't calling my opinion douchey make YOU douchey?
I didn't say all opinions that other opinions are wrong is douchey, I said opinions about how people are wrong about what they like are douchey.

And ya joker said it best, he's the most associated figure with the series due to his popularity which far outstrips the other lords (as much as it pains me to admit this (Sigard, Seliph, and Roy forever!) as such he's THE LORD associated with the franchise. There's no getting around that.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
The way Marth's presence has grown over time is actually really interesting. At this point, I would agree that Marth is pretty much cemented as the face of the franchise, much like how Cloud has been cemented as the face of Final Fantasy (despite Square trying so hard to make Lightning happen), but it seems like the vast majority of the credit for that belongs to a completely separate franchise acting as character gateway (Smash). It would be like if no one in the west really knew what Final Fantasy was until the Warrior from FF1 suddenly appeared in a really popular fighting game and launched the series internationally pretty much just by being top tier.

If one of the Tellius games had made a larger impact, or had Awakening done as well is it did without also heavily mythologizing Marth in the main story, it may have been that Marth's standing could have fallen and another primary character could have taken that mantle. At this point, he's pretty much officially a legend, but it's more due to tangential boosts in exposure rather than he as a character, or his game, really striking a chord with the public (in contrast to Cloud/FF7 drawing appeal directly and immediately).

#HBC | Gorf

what circus is saying is that marth wasn't popular cuz of fire emblem. it's cuz of smash and the marth boners that hardened because of him being in smash. and that's dumb.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I mean, that's definitely true in the US. It's not true in Japan. He's popular for being people's favorite Fire Emblem character over there.

As for it being dumb, that's just, like, your opinion man.

#HBC | Gorf

i never said it's anything BUT my opinion. and i happen to think my opinion is right.

also it's tough to say that "he's popular in japan for x and y" cuz we don't share culture. yea that's a cop out but it's true.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Uh, pretty sure Chocobos and Moogles are the face of FF.
They're recurring elements in a franchise without recurring characters (for the most part), but I wouldn't say that's really the same as being the face of the franchise. Cloud's iconic. A lot of people who haven't even played his game think of him when they think of Final Fantasy, due to the impact he and the game he hails from made. I'd call that a face.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
man

it sucks when you are trying to like make friends at college how difficult it gets to carry on a conversation DURING class... **** man. Then the friendship gets awkward. And I can't say "Well I was just tryna start up small talk with you but couldn't becuz lecture..."

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Talk after class then, you wiener.

"Hey, you got another class now?"

If Yes: "Wanna walk/talk, I've got something to do over there anyway."

If No: "Wanna grab a bit to eat, etc.?"

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I would have walked with her automatically. She had to rush to another class. Awkward part is after you ask for her number and all but don't say much and then after a class of not talking to her at all, approaching her and saying "Hey Silvia" or something. It just seems like I may have ignored TWO people so far but I promise I wasn't ignoring people. It's just the class environment... Hopefully this will be fixed by the next time I see these people and hope they understand. :D

Although I will say I guess I should be more open to eating on campus with others. I don't usually eat at campus, I go straight home sometimes.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
does anyone play the drums
Do you have questions or need book/equipment recommendations? I'm a percussion major, but I haven't started drum set yet (starting this semester). If you have questions, I can relay them to people and have them answered for you.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
i basically wanna learn to play and am thinking of getting a drumset. but i dunno what i should be lookin for just starting out

#HBC | Gorf

id say that not breaking four digits but at least 5 bills is your best bet. starter kits are aight but youll go from starter to decent pretty fast. itll take going from decent to good thatd be tough, and getting a legit set will be crucial.

a standard snare-bass-hihat-ride-floor setup is all youll really need as a drummer, the rest is kinda just for showiness. some jazz players dont even use a floor and the technique is so sexy that its superfluous.

what styles are you lookin to learn?

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
i skimmed the last page but apparently gheb was mad so i came here with a wheelbarrow and a pick-axe for the salt mines

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
what styles are you lookin to learn?
hm idk, i guess i should not be a fraud n figure that out

thanks for the info tho, whats the ride / floor though? I'm assuming one of them are the toms? Also what's the point of having multiple tom drums? i guess you could get toms of diff sizes which'll produce different sounds

#HBC | Gorf

size of the toms make different pitches. but theyre moreso a hindrance for a learner; youre gonna focus some of the the attention needed to getting a fat pocket rhythm to wailin around on other toms. upon getting better and upgrading your set itd be kewl but not at all necessary for a starting kit.

ride = the big cymbal thats usually stood up on top of the bass drum. makes a different quality of sound than the hihat. id say its more... calm. floor tom = the tom that is mounted on the floor instead of attached to the set. if you wanna get a feel for fills thatll be all you need and more.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
  • 翔 (Jump): higher jumps, lower defense.
  • 疾 (Speed): faster movement, weaker attacks.
  • 盾(Shield): higher defense, slower movement.
  • 斬(Buster): stronger attacks, weaker launch ability.
  • 撃(Smash): Stronger launch ability, weaker attacks, lower defense against launching.

Shun Goku Satsu Rake

Oriwa Rake. Kaizo ko ni oriwa naru
I'm not convinced it does. The shaft needs a lot more polishing until it'll be finished and as per usual the tip barely saw any attention.

Clearly inexperienced at polishing off hard, thicker wood.

Edit: oh you meant the game. Yeah it looks pretty cool

Last edited:
Top Bottom