• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DFW Brawl Thread: Batou Monthly, Feb 18th - Revolution 10, Mar 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Dude. Have you ever seen Dragonball? Who the **** thought he could honestly make that realistic?

Also aside from Mortal Kombat, there are no and will never be any good videogame movies.
Yeah, I watched all the episodes. I'm just saying there are obvious things he does in the film that goes directly against the series, like making Piccolo not green, having Goku's kamehameha come out of one hand, and making Goku a high school student. It's Hollywood we're talking about. Realistic or not, there's the technology to create whatever world you'd like. Just look at Avatar. But obviously this wasn't a project that attracted a competent and respected director, so the budget just couldn't be that high. Michael Bay was interested in this film for a while before he opted for Transformers 2. Whether you're a Michael Bay fan or not, you have to admit the film would have had much higher production values. In my mind, DB/DBZ is a series worthy of being turned into a Hollywood blockbuster film, but it's just a matter of hiring a director who wants to keep true to the material.

And Brett, I was literally JUST about to ask you the same thing! I'm coming to Phase this weekend, so bring your Reese's Puffs, son!

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
NOOOOOOOOOO! This is not a true statement! 90% of book to movies have been crap! In fact, I dare say ALMOST EVERY book to movie adaptations have been crap!
I dunno... Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy was pretty all right. And I've read every single book in the trilogy in five parts.

It managed to capture the spirit of the books. I didn't welcome the plot device with that gun thingy, but they needed to pull an ending out of their ***** and it still managed to fit.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
have you seen the tekken anime? its wasnt to bad.
I liked the tekken anime alot. Street fighter anime was pretty beast too.
I can think of some video game movies that were good. Silent hill was nice. First Resident Evil movie was good, despite having a completely different story line. Max Payne was enjoyable.

Even if they mess up the plot/acting in the Tekken movie, they have a pretty impressive list of martial artists. I loves me some fight scenes :cool:

NOOOOOOOOOO! This is not a true statement! 90% of book to movies have been crap! In fact, I dare say ALMOST EVERY book to movie adaptations have been crap!
Book to movie definitely has a better track record. Have you ever seen the Bloodrayne movies? :embarrass

Ladybug

Smash Lord
No what I'm saying is he said they are usually good. That is a lie. Yes there are some out there that are good, but that's not usually. It is a rare occurance that a book to movie actually works.

Hitchikers guide was good but in -no- uncertain terms did it follow the first book which is what it should have done because there is a good enough story there for them to have. It was kind of a mixture of a few which I didn't like... (And actually it was missing one of the best parts where the ship commits suicide on Magrathea after Marvin had a conversation (and actually quite a few other -great- parts in that book) I love that series. :D)) And my dad, who is one of the biggest Douglas Adams fans -hated- that movie. It would have been better (if you're going to call the movie Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy) that you make -that book- -that- movie and you continue with the the other books in other movies.

N.O.T.A.-SrsC@

Smash Apprentice
Best Game-to-Movie conversion was Metal Gear Solid 4.

I humbly disagree, Monica. Jurassic Park and Sphere were fairly well-done. Fight Club was awesome. Watchmen, while leaving out an entire sub-plot was great. Not to mention Lord of the Rings.

You're never going to find a movie that accurately captures the book to the fullest extent. Movies just can't be long enough without being boring. Even LotR pushed the limit on the bored-o-meter.

I also have to disagree with your take on Hitchhiker's, Kyle, that was garbage. Douglas Adams would spit on it. I prefer the BBC mini series.

Ladybug

Smash Lord
Douglas Adams helped do the screen play for it! How could he spit on it when he helped!

And I didn't say there weren't -any- I said almost all were garbage. I can list more bad ones than good ones.

N.O.T.A.-SrsC@

Smash Apprentice
Douglas Adams helped do the screen play for it! How could he spit on it when he helped!

And I didn't say there weren't -any- I said almost all were garbage. I can list more bad ones than good ones.
Douglas Adams died in 2001. That was 4 years for them to screw it up without him. I can't find when production began, but I'm pretty sure that editing hadn't even started until 2003 at best.

You said 90%, I'm guessing I should assume that this is an exaggerated figure, then?

Ladybug

Smash Lord
He is listed in the credits under "screen play by".

And I could probably list 9 sucky book to movie titles for every one good book to movie title.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Max Payne was enjoyable.
That movie was utter trash. Mark Wahlberg insulted the game by refusing to play it because he "didn't have time." Last time I checked, researching your character is part of the job description as an actor :mad:

And then they don't bother with one drop of the great soundtrack from the game, they throw in the CG angel junk, and then...... they make Max Payne take the very drugs that caused the death of his wife. TRAVESTY! The movie just ok'd drugs cuz drugs give you super powers. Not only is that a horrible message, that never happened in the game and makes no rational sense.

It wasn't even trying to be film noir, which is the essence of the Max Payne series.

/end rant on Max Payne, most disappointing game movie I have ever seen.

I also have to disagree with your take on Hitchhiker's, Kyle, that was garbage. Douglas Adams would spit on it. I prefer the BBC mini series.
I should check out this mini series already. I knew of its existence, but never thought about trying to track it down.

Douglas Adams died in 2001. That was 4 years for them to screw it up without him. I can't find when production began, but I'm pretty sure that editing hadn't even started until 2003 at best.

You said 90%, I'm guessing I should assume that this is an exaggerated figure, then?
lol get wrecked Monica =P

I'll stick to my opinion that Hitchhiker's Guide the movie was pretty alright. It couldn't hit the mark on everything, but did pretty well with what it had. It had Mos Def, Zoey Deschanel (omg she's beautiful) and Alan Rickman as the voice of Marvin the robot. It could have been much much worse.

mydadsacop123

Smash Apprentice
jurassic park is AWESOME! BEST MOVIE AHHH!
also sethlon when u say street fighter anime did u mean the movie? or that series. i didnt like the series (ryu going to jail for drugs?) but the movie was awesome. chun li was hot as balls

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Street Fighter Series was pretty awful. They had mis coloring mistakes, bad voice acting (YESH! YESH!!!! played to unfitting music is from there lol)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Seaf-Lawn
Proper Noun
1. Refers to the Legendary Smasher, Sethlon.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Crouching Crouch Punch

Also INB4 DMG be trollin Gnes

ruin`

Smash Journeyman
every video game movie that I saw sucked balls EXCEPT for Street Fighter...I mean blanka! COME ON!

I Ctrl+F the word gay and my screen scrolls from the top to the bottom of this thread.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
jurassic park is AWESOME! BEST MOVIE AHHH!
It's funny Jurassic Park is being mentioned, 'cuz I just rewatched all three in the past week. I was so let down by the third one that I wrote a lengthy note on Facebook about what went wrong with it. XD

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Jurassic Park I is tied for my favorite movie of all time...
...ri~ght up there with Twister.

...don't ****ing judge me.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
dang you know I am always up for some super bonding.

ALSO ME AND VAN SIDE BET ON RAZER VS LEE. I THINK LEE WILL WIN. HE PICKED RAZER. LOSER BUYS WINNER FREEBIRDS.

Good Game Van. Lee about to get them HARD READS from the edge lol

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
We shall see, fellow Wind Warrior. We shall see...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom