• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Determining the procedure to pick stages in Smash 4

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Note this is not a thread for determining stage legality.
People in the Stage Analysis thread have been discussing how to decide stages, but we decided this probably needed its own thread.

So in past Smash games, we have used the Starter/Counterpick system to build stage list and choose which stage to play on match 1 vs 2-5. This system seemed to work well; however, it actually has the opposite effect as intended. So for Smash 4 maybe we should change it.

The argument for why the system doesn't work seems to go like this
Imagine there's a 9 stage list. Lets use some of brawls stages in Smash 4, but of course this is hypothetical and not taking into account actual matchups, stage balancing, or legality. So the stage list looks like this, with starter and counter picks split.

Starter
Smashville
Battlefield
Lylat Cruise
Castle Siege
Delphino Plaza
Counter Pick
Halberd
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium 2
Luigi's Mansion

So a match is about to begin between a player playing shulk and player playing sheik. Shulk's best stages for this matchup are, in order, Smashville, Castle Siege, Pokemon Stadium 2, Luigi's Mansion, Halberd, Final destination, Delphino Plaza, Battlefield, and Lylat Cruise.
Sheiks list would be the reverse of this.
So the stage striking process begins, assuming both characters striked correctly, Delphino Plaza would be the chosen stage for round one.

The problem with having Delphino chosen for round one is that it's Sheiks 3rd best stage and Shulk's 3rd worst stage. By having 4 stages delegated to counterpicks, you could actually remove the most balanced stage.

If we now take the list and strike from every single stage, the stage chosen is Halberd. Halberd would be both characters 5 best and worst stage, which is the most neutral for the matchup. By eliminating starters and counter pick divisions, you should always play on the most balanced stage, assuming both players strike correctly.

So what's the communities thoughts on this? Should we change the system? Should we keep it? If we change it, how should stages be chosen?

Last edited:

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
There's too many legal stages on the Wii U to use the same system and this game won't be too reliable on tiers too since it's a matchup game and most of the players will main at least 2 characters.
How about a turn based pick system?

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
There's too many legal stages on the Wii U to use the same system and this game won't be too reliable on tiers too since it's a matchup game and most of the players will main at least 2 characters.
How about a turn based pick system?
The problem is how do you determine who goes first?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Piford said:
Note this is not a thread for determining stage legality.
If I were you I'd make this bold and 72-point font. <.<

One idea I had was to strike down to a single stage from the entire pool, then play all games on that stage for the entirety of the set. Assuming both players know the sorted order of their stages, then it will (theoretically) result in an as-close-to-neutral-as-possible match since the last stage standing should be both players' (N/2 - 1)th best/worst stage. Mirrors would also be interesting but that's going meta.

Gentlemen's Rule would still apply where if both players agree, they can play on other stages for game 2, 3, etc.

This no doubt has a few flaws, most notably a complete lack of stage diversity on a per-set basis, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Last edited:

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
If I were you I'd make this bold and 72-point font. <.<

One idea I had was to strike down to a single stage from the entire pool, then play all games on that stage for the entirety of the set. Assuming both players know the sorted order of their stages, then it will (theoretically) result in an as-close-to-neutral-as-possible match since the last stage standing should be both players' (N/2 - 1)th best/worst stage. Mirrors would also be interesting but that's going meta.

Gentlemen's Rule would still apply where if both players agree, they can play on other stages for game 2, 3, etc.

This no doubt has a few flaws, most notably a complete lack of stage diversity on a per-set basis, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
I think the problem is if you counterpick your character, then you might want a different stage.

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
Allow me to play some weak devil's advocate here since I know someone will say this.

Let's just have a small stage list. In the past the community has only needed 3-6. Variety is the spice of life, but spice is not necessary.

Shog

Smash Ace
CUSTOM STAGES because of SHARING should be allowed. You can customize pretty much anything important!

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Allow me to play some weak devil's advocate here since I know someone will say this.

Let's just have a small stage list. In the past the community has only needed 3-6. Variety is the spice of life, but spice is not necessary.
You do realize this is exactly why some people hate the competitive Smash scene? You guys go to great lengths to take the 'spice' out of the game, I mean, Halberd and Delfino Plaza being counterpicks on many Brawl stagelists might be a step forward, but hell, this game has so many exciting stages that are also competitively viable...

Orbital Gate Assault, Mario Circuit 8, Delfino Plaza, Miiverse, Pilotwings, Wuhu Island, Kalos Pokemon League.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
CUSTOM STAGES because of SHARING should be allowed. You can customize pretty much anything important!
Wrong thread. Unless you suggest that we make a stage for every single match, in that case that would be ridiculous.

But this game isn't 64, Melee, or Brawl. What could define this game is the huge variety of stages and characters making tons of unique match ups. More variety means better viewership in theory. If we allow custom moves, and have 20 legal stages (probably more), then with 52 characters (48 + 3 Miis + Mewtwo) we have 354,818,880 different match ups if my math is correct. That is insanely cool that there could be so much variety, why waste it by limiting us to 3-6 legal stages. And even if we have 3-6 stages, then what? Choose random for every match? Go back to starter counterpick?

Last edited:

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
The problem is how do you determine who goes first?
in other competitive games the turns are balanced so it doesn't matter who goes first and they choose a head or tails method to determine who goes first or second.
for example something like this(this is just a random example I'm no saying it should be exactly like this):
-head or tails
player 1 gets head and choses being first
player 2 bans 2 stages
player 1 picks stage
player 1 picks character
player 2 picks character
-
winner bans 1 stage
winner can change his character
loser can change his character
loser picks an stage
repeat

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
It's too early to say about how competitive are stages we never played.
(Mario Circuit 8, PilotWings, Wuhu Island and Kalos Pokemon League)
This said, I feel this game will have much more counterpicks than any other Smash, since most counterpicks from Brawl are returning and this game has some new and nice stages too.

But the starter list should not be long.( 5 or, at max 7, in my opnion).
First of all, the first stage is decided by stage-strike and a large stage list will difficult/enlarge the process.
And my second point : The starter list should be a stage list that has no counters-hard counters for any character.
Something like :
Final Destination, Battlefield, Smashville , Town and City and Lylat Cruise (for 5 stages)

Now for counterpicks, we need to be less critic with some things:
--> With Chaingrab "gone", and almost everyone with great recoveries, we don't have a real reason against stages with walk-off.
(At least one should be accepted).
--> Like Halberd in Brawl, stages that are obvious in their hazards (like the cannon or bomb), are okay.

For counterpicks we should watch each one closely, even returning stages.
We never know how they are now, maybe Halberd is now absurd.
But for discuss, this stages seems to be debatable:
Delfino Plaza, Halberd, Castle Siege, Skyloft, Miiverse, Garden of Hope, Coliseum, Mario Circuit (Wii U), Pilot Wings, Wii Fit Studio, Kalos Pokemon League and Wuhu Island.

Gaur Plains, Pyrosphere and Dr.Willy Castle has bosses.
Jungle Hijinxs is my new favorite stage, but is just too messed up for competitive play.
Returning stages like Yoshi's Island and Pokemon Stadium 2 probably would mantain their status.
Large stages are out for 1-1, even more with this large blast zones.

Yoshi Woolly World, Mario Galaxy, Orbital Gate, Wrecking Crew, Windy Hill, Mushroom Kingdom U, Boxing Ring...
Looks pretty stages, but not competitive.

Pac-land are ugly. I don't want to play in ugly stages, banned.
-------------------------
This is what I think until now, it's just too early.
Sorry, I posted as this was the stage-discussion thread.
About how to pick-stages, I think is just keep the Brawl scheme.
Stage strike in the first stages, 2 or 3 stages banned in the counterpick (depending how much counterpicks will be there.).

Last edited:

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
It's too early to say about how competitive are stages we never played.
(Mario Circuit 8, PilotWings, Wuhu Island and Kalos Pokemon League)
This said, I feel this game will have much more counterpicks than any other Smash, since most counterpicks from Brawl are returning and this game has some new and nice stages too.

But the starter list should not be long.( 5 or, at max 7, in my opnion).
First of all, the first stage is decided by stage-strike and a large stage list will difficult/enlarge the process.
And my second point : The starter list should be a stage list that has no counters-hard counters for any character.
Something like :
Final Destination, Battlefield, Smashville , Town and City and Lylat Cruise (for 5 stages)

Now for counterpicks, we need to be less critic with some things:
--> With Chaingrab "gone", and almost everyone with great recoveries, we don't have a real reason against stages with walk-off.
(At least one should be accepted).
--> Like Halberd in Brawl, stages that are obvious in their hazards (like the cannon or bomb), are okay.

For counterpicks we should watch each one closely, even returning stages.
We never know how they are now, maybe Halberd is now absurd.
But for discuss, this stages seems to be debatable:
Delfino Plaza, Halberd, Castle Siege, Skyloft, Miiverse, Garden of Hope, Coliseum, Mario Circuit (Wii U), Pilot Wings, Wii Fit Studio, Kalos Pokemon League and Wuhu Island.

Gaur Plains, Pyrosphere and Dr.Willy Castle has bosses.
Jungle Hijinxs is my new favorite stage, but is just too messed up for competitive play.
Returning stages like Yoshi's Island and Pokemon Stadium 2 probably would mantain their status.
Large stages are out for 1-1, even more with this large blast zones.

Yoshi Woolly World, Mario Galaxy, Orbital Gate, Wrecking Crew, Windy Hill, Mushroom Kingdom U, Boxing Ring...
Looks pretty stages, but not competitive.

Pac-land are ugly. I don't want to play in ugly stages, banned.
-------------------------
This is what I think until now, it's just too early.
This is the exactly what this thread was not made for. Discussion for stage legality should take place in the Stage Analysis and Discussion thread

in other competitive games the turns are balanced so it doesn't matter who goes first and they choose a head or tails method to determine who goes first or second.
for example something like this(this is just a random example I'm no saying it should be exactly like this):
-head or tails
player 1 gets head and choses being first
player 2 bans 2 stages
player 1 picks stage
player 1 picks character
player 2 picks character
-
winner bans 1 stage
winner can change his character
loser can change his character
loser picks an stage
repeat
So why should stages be chosen before characters? I would think that knowing which characters are fighting would be essential in finding the best stage to play on.

allshort17

Smash Ace
So why should stages be chosen before characters? I would think that knowing which characters are fighting would be essential in finding the best stage to play on.
Actually it's a pretty interesting way of defining what makes a neutral stage. The way it's set-up now, a neutral or counterpick stage is defined as such because of it's effect of single match. Players pick their characters, then we choose the most favorable stage for the match. However, by choosing the stage first, we define the stage as a whole being neutral rather than the stage's neutrality being based around match-ups. When choosing the stage first means players have to consider all options, such as what stage is best for all their characters, what stage is worse for all their character's counterpicks, and what stage is worse for the opponents characters. Choosing the stage first would actually help the previously mentioned idea of choosing one stage for the entire set because from the start, the stage choice will reflect what is best for both players in the long run. This method is not without it's flaws, but a different approach to how we view stages could be the first step in creating a new and better stage selection procedure.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
(competitive definition: in my posts the word "competitive" means the more skilled player wins consistently and is upset more rarely)

My preference (no strong opinion on before vs. after character picks):
FLSS down to 1 stage.
Game 2, play the stage that the winner struck last during FLSSing
Game 3, play the stage the winner of game 2 struck last during FLSSing

It's kind of like ParanoidDrone's idea, but you do the minimal amount of movement necessary to get stage variety within the set (since people seem to be into that).

Allowing the loser of a game to get a large advantage in the subsequent game is uncompetitive because it turns Bo3 sets into Bo1 sets that revolve around who won game1 before the "take turns winning" phase of the set. Hence it needs to be phased out. People kind of started feelin it durin the later years of Brawl's livelihood, not wanting Rainbow Cruise and or Brinstar in the stagelist even with no randomness (at least on RC) because it didn't feel competitive and there's a reason for that.

FLSS still lets players bring the game to a somewhat unusual stage by not striking a stage that their character usually would be expected to strike. It just wouldn't be the norm. It'd be kind of like making a gambit in chess where the play itself is actually kind of weak, but if you did some extra homework and practiced the ramifications it can give you an edge.

Counterpicking on a liberal stagelist is more like being able to force your opponent to play weak opening in chess during game2 of a set because you lost game1, and it's not necessarily even an opening they practiced. It's a little absurd.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Actually it's a pretty interesting way of defining what makes a neutral stage. The way it's set-up now, a neutral or counterpick stage is defined as such because of it's effect of single match. Players pick their characters, then we choose the most favorable stage for the match. However, by choosing the stage first, we define the stage as a whole being neutral rather than the stage's neutrality being based around match-ups. When choosing the stage first means players have to consider all options, such as what stage is best for all their characters, what stage is worse for all their character's counterpicks, and what stage is worse for the opponents characters. Choosing the stage first would actually help the previously mentioned idea of choosing one stage for the entire set because from the start, the stage choice will reflect what is best for both players in the long run. This method is not without it's flaws, but a different approach to how we view stages could be the first step in creating a new and better stage selection procedure.
Okay, but I think If we're going to have a larger stage list, we definitely need more than 2 strikes

I had an idea that might help save time. This also might be awful in actual execution. What if we put all the stages into groups? Not like Starters and counter picks though. Like if we have 20 legal stages we could make 4 groups of 5. Round one is always determined by Full List stage striking. Then following rounds, the winner picks a group of stages, and the looser picks a stage in that group. An example that, again, does not take any actual legality into mind could be this.

Group A
Battlefield
Halberd
Delphino Plaza
Mushroom Kingdom U
Mario Circuit
Group B
Pilot Wings
Town and City
Pokemon Stadium 2
Luigi's Mansion
Wooly World
Group C
Smashville
Coliseum
Final Destination
Norfair
Congo Jungle
Group D
Lylat Cruise
Kalos Pokemon League
Castle Siege
Skyloft
Wuhu Island

The players decide to strike stages 2-3-3-3-3-3-2 for round one and go to which ever stage that is. The next round the winner decides that Group D will not put him at a huge disadvantage in the next round, the the winner decides of those stages Skyloft would put him at the greatest advantage. So the next match takes place on skyloft.

This cold of coursed have the looser pick the group, and the winner choose the stage, or have the looser pick the group, and start striking from there with striking 1-2-2-1 in that group. Which ever option is the most balenced.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Could go for FLSS with some like A: strike 3 B: strike 3 A: strike 2 B: strike 2 A: strike 1 B: strike 1 for Round 1. Would would speed it up at least a bit if you don't have to go back and forth with each individual pick. After that, just go with the usual "strike X amount of stages, then the counter pick stage is chosen out of the remaining options".

I'm up for anything that means more stages legal. Certain groups got their way far too much with Brawl. That needs to put to a dead stop, this ain't Street Fighter or Tekken. Stages will always play a big factor, if you don't like that you should be probably playing a different fighting game.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Could go for FLSS with some like A: strike 3 B: strike 3 A: strike 2 B: strike 2 A: strike 1 B: strike 1 for Round 1. Would would speed it up at least a bit if you don't have to go back and forth with each individual pick. After that, just go with the usual "strike X amount of stages, then the counter pick stage is chosen out of the remaining options".

I'm up for anything that means more stages legal. Certain groups got their way far too much with Brawl. That needs to put to a dead stop, this ain't Street Fighter or Tekken. Stages will always play a big factor, if you don't like that you should be probably playing a different fighting game.
I am also up for keeping every legal stage as legal. I don't know how choosing the stages will work but I do know that we are only hindering the fun of our competitive community if we ban certain stages despite them being completely viable.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Another thing: What about FD clones? Because they're not all the same. There is a difference between FD that floats and FD with off-stage walls. How does that factor into all of this?

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Another thing: What about FD clones? Because they're not all the same. There is a difference between FD that floats and FD with off-stage walls. How does that factor into all of this?
I'd say that unless certain omega stages more than others makes a noticeable difference with certain characters we should just lump them all into the same category. If FD is banned, all the omegas should be banned.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
I'd say that unless certain omega stages more than others makes a noticeable difference with certain characters we should just lump them all into the same category. If FD is banned, all the omegas should be banned.
I totally get that. I just also realize that there are plenty of characters that would prefer wall-FD to non-wall and viceversa. Not sure if that's a huge difference in the end though.

Last edited:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Seen this suggested in another topic: You pick FD/Omega Stage, opponent can pick which version. Certain ones like Wario Ware are banned due to camera/background colour issues.

The real trick with this whole entire topic though is this: we can come up with ideas until we're blue in the face. How do we basically force regions to not cater to the select few and have like 5 legal stages?

allshort17

Smash Ace
What about the gentlemen's rule? It completely defeats all stage pick procedures and stage lists with no limit or punishment. By having this rule, do we unintentionally say that all stages are legal and that all this procedure means nothing? It honestly is a terrible a terrible rule and when deciding a procedure, should be excluded.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
What about the gentlemen's rule? It completely defeats all stage pick procedures and stage lists with no limit or punishment. By having this rule, do we unintentionally say that all stages are legal and that all this procedure means nothing? It honestly is a terrible a terrible rule and when deciding a procedure, should be excluded.
It definitely is a rule that should stay because there not really a way to avoid it. If both players want the same stage, stage pick procedure will get that stage anyways. Of course, there needs to be a procedure that doesn't account for it because there's almost always going to be disagreement.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
What about gentleman's rule except only the viable stages can be chosen in round 1?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
That's already a thing though. If both players agreed to it, they could play EVO grand finals on 75M. (Not that anyone would but you get my point.) (EDIT: Also assuming Brawl was actually at EVO, I got my games mixed up.)

Actually...does Gentleman's Clause apply to all stages or just the ones that are already legal? If it's just the legal ones than oops.

Last edited:

allshort17

Smash Ace
It definitely is a rule that should stay because there not really a way to avoid it. If both players want the same stage, stage pick procedure will get that stage anyways. Of course, there needs to be a procedure that doesn't account for it because there's almost always going to be disagreement.
The problem that the rule let's all stages in the entire game become legal. It's good for the current system so players can play on CP's game 1, play on stages a player has already won on, or for play on a stage was banned solely due to a few characters. However, the fact that we can play on any stage at anytime is terrible for determining the validity of tournaments when it's used to it's fullest extent.

What about gentleman's rule except only the viable stages can be chosen in round 1?
Take out the part about round 1 only and it would be better. There may be situations where players want to play on a stage banned because of DSR.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
The problem that the rule let's all stages in the entire game become legal. It's good for the current system so players can play on CP's game 1, play on stages a player has already won on, or for play on a stage was banned solely due to a few characters. However, the fact that we can play on any stage at anytime is terrible for determining the validity of tournaments when it's used to it's fullest extent.

Take out the part about round 1 only and it would be better. There may be situations where players want to play on a stage banned because of DSR.
I assume you meant the validity of the winner in tournaments if a stage that clearly doesn't determine the winner based on skill is chosen? Like if Rumble Falls was chosen in Brawl, and the players just had a jumping contest. I agree that those stages should be avoided, but where do you draw the line when determining which stages are allowed to be GR.

allshort17

Smash Ace
I assume you meant the validity of the winner in tournaments if a stage that clearly doesn't determine the winner based on skill is chosen? Like if Rumble Falls was chosen in Brawl, and the players just had a jumping contest. I agree that those stages should be avoided, but where do you draw the line when determining which stages are allowed to be GR.
With the stages the tournament is using. Those stages are what the TO believes will most adequately determine skill.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
So the Gentlemen's Rule should basically be only to override DSR?

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
If players want to play on Temple, let them play on Temple.

It's their fight. What do we care?

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
We should probably shift focus back to idea on how the stage selection process is going to work. The gentlemen's rule will likely stay the same.

allshort17

Smash Ace
If players want to play on Temple, let them play on Temple.

It's their fight. What do we care?
Because it goes against what the community is trying to do with stage bans and CP vs neutral stages.

*We ban stages because they are deemed unfit for competitive play due to poor stage mechanics or over-centralizing techniques.
*On the other hand, any stage is fit for competitive play as long as both players agree because of the gentlemen's rule.

The two conflict with one another. If we admit that all stages have a place in competitive play, then why don't we have a ruleset that allows all stages? However, if we say that some stages don't accurately test competitive play, then the gentlemen's rule should not be in place because it breaks this belief. Together though, the community says two different things that can't go together. Maybe we should consider just using a full stage list and create a procedure that is timely and still hones in on neutral stages for both players or at least the gentlemen's rule should be modified to stay consistent with what the community set's out to test with tournaments.

We should probably shift focus back to idea on how the stage selection process is going to work. The gentlemen's rule will likely stay the same.
Also, I bring this up because the rule shows a flaw in the current system. The rule only works because of things like our belief in order, our self-interest, and because of our fear of unknown factors, but not because the rule is effective. When making a new procedure, it should aim to fix the problems that the gentlemen's rule sets out to with out the direct use of the rule.

Last edited:

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Because it goes against what the community is trying to do with stage bans and CP vs neutral stages.

*We ban stages because they are deemed unfit for competitive play due to poor stage mechanics or over-centralizing techniques.
*On the other hand, any stage is fit for competitive play as long as both players agree because of the gentlemen's rule.

The two conflict with one another. If we admit that all stages have a place in competitive play, then why don't we have a ruleset that allows all stages? However, if we say that some stages don't accurately test competitive play, then the gentlemen's rule should not be in place because it breaks this belief. Together though, the community says two different things that can't go together. Maybe we should consider just using a full stage list and create a procedure that is timely and still hones in on neutral stages for both players or at least the gentlemen's rule should be modified to stay consistent with what the community set's out to test with tournaments.
I don't think there's a way to get rid of the gentlemen's clause. Player's will play on the stages they want to. The whole point of the clause is that it allows stages that goes against the stage list made by the community. While the goal is to see who's the best player, remember were also playing the game because we want to have fun. It's not like I can use the clause to force you into an uncompetative stage. It allows players to pick a banned stage that they think is competitive. You can choose to never use the gentlemen's clause.

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
Omegas with walls shouldn't count as normal FDs they are too different, the matchups are completely different too.
Rosalina is terrible in stages with walls since her recovery is always diagonal and can be easily spiked in Willy FD but she's a beast on normal FD since her recovery gets autocorrected by the angled plataform in FD.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
This entire argument falls apart on the theory that the demonstrated example is even a feasible occurrence in the game. For the OP's example to actually hold water, it would have to be a common occurrence for character to be incredibly strong on a very large number of stages, and incredibly weak on an equally large number. This just isn't the case.

Our current system works wonders because the game is designed in a way that allows it to. Even going with the original example, the different between getting 3rd best/worst, or 5th best/worst... is nothing. Characters usually function strongly on 1 or 2 stages, and have a notable weakness on 1 or 2 stages. This really has never changed regardless of the history of Smash stagelists.

What a 5 or 7 neutral stagelist with 1 ban per ~6 stages ruleset (this is the formula for all games right now) does is stop a character from playing on their 2 or 3 best and 2 or 3 worst stages at the start of a set, while preventing their worst stage(s) from being counterpicked against them. As it turns out, everything else left is pretty much 50/50. The fact that you got delfino plaza? 50/50, just as 50/50 as Halberd. Those in-the-middle stages don't decide games. In Project M, your 4th worst and 4th best stage are SIGNIFICANTLY closer in terms of how your character performs on them compared to your 3rd best and 4th best. The ruleset works with this, and you usually end up playing on a stage that's a neutral match-up.

With the apparent set of legal stages we have, we're very likely looking at 5 Neutral stages with 5+ counterpicks with what we know so far. This pretty much is going to become our normal striking ruleset with 2 bans, and it's very, very likely not going to become problematic and force characters to play to a severe stage advantage or disadvantage for the same reason you rarely see someone get to play on a stage heavily in their advantage in previous games.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
The so-called neutral stages have never been "neutral", and the results in Brawl especially were often really lousy with small starter lists. I main Mr. Game & Watch. He's all around a very good character, but he's nearly unplayably bad on Final Destination and Smashville is just awful for him too. Both of those stages turn the otherwise winnable but hard ICs/MK/Olimar match-ups into hard counters (like G&W vs ICs is 1-9 at best on FD; you might as well give up and not play), and they make every other match-up worse too (I don't think he actually has an advantage against a single other viable character on those two stages). No matter what, I always have to strike both of these stages on any starter list which means 3 stage lists that include both are just automatically awful outcomes for G&W. Even on five, if both are included which is always true, I get my worst stage out of any remaining stages (usually mostly mediocre G&W stages among the others even if not as just awful as these two). On the other hand, G&W just loves Halberd and rather likes Delfino too; having them in the starter list lets him get stages that are actually decent for him as his opponents strike those to offset the strikes he absolutely must make to FD and SV. Sometimes you get an MK player who really likes Delfino and we play game one there, and when that happens, we both end up feeling really good about the game one stage since we both believe it gives us an advantage (IMO vs MK Delfino is a very soft G&W good stage, perfectly worth it for the MK player if he as a player is super comfortable with the stage). I just don't see at all how banning so many stages and having so few starters did any good in Brawl; it completely screwed my character, and as far as I can tell, it made the game's overall balance a lot worse in general as characters like ICs and Olimar ended up artificially just way too good in way more match-ups than vs G&W.

I believe we see the same sort of thing in smash 4 too. Final Destination is easy to pick at in this game; it's a near-perfect Little Mac stage that gives aerial characters nowhere to go but down into his super armored arms, but on "not FD", so many characters can deal with Mac's unique mix of pros and cons so much more effectively. Sonic too is really crazy on FD; Hammer Spin Dash is still not on a lot of people's radar but one of the most powerful mobility and attacking options in this game that is a million times better on FD than on "any stage with platforms". Battlefield isn't perfect either. Bowser I feel is mostly really good in this game, but BF's platform layout is perfectly wrong for him. They just get in the way of a lot of movement he wants to do, nearly completely take Bowser Bomb and dair out of his moveset, and his size makes it nearly impossible for him to use them defensively. Greninja too I feel just struggles with Battlefield specifically; the platforms are just at this perfectly wrong height and spaced just perfectly wrong relative to the open ground so it's really hard for him to use any of his ground moves from below or poke at the platforms with any aerials. In smash 3ds, just add up the lists of characters who either win or lose uniquely much from stages like FD or BF, and then compare it to a similar list for Prism Tower. I think you'll find that the Prism Tower list is just as short as the FD or BF list; stages like that are every bit as "neutral" as any others. Even more, since every stage will have significant flaws and match-ups in which it is a particularly unfair stage, including a ton of different stages and notably different types of stages (you NEED to include both static and traveling stages) will really smooth it out. Smash 3ds really did have a shortfall of quality stages which made this hard (still possible), but we won't have that problem on Wii U which is the version that really matters anyway.

On top of the fact that any short starter list will invariably produce massive winners and losers in terms of characters, starter-counterpick dichotomy just doesn't work from a meta perspective. Real players only practice so much, and they formulate different strategies to win on every stage. This is actually a lot of work, but real players know something obvious. To win a set, you need to win 2/3 games. Since your opponent's counterpick is your biggest disadvantage, you focus on winning on your own counterpick and the game 1 stage. The game one stage is always going to be from the starter list. Your best winning play is to pick a character whose natural best stages are starters and to counterpick those starters with your counterpicks. You have to learn minimal stages, and you'll get maximal results. Learning counterpick stages is a lot of work, and no matter how good you are at it, it will never win you sets as you still have to win game one or a counterpick match on a starter your opponent picked. It's just a sucker's play to bother with that at all, and of course when no one learns these stages (except in my beloved if naive Midwest which never seems to shy away from learning tons of new stuff whether it really helps us or not), the matches on these stages will be awful since these stages tend to be complex and require tons of knowledge to play well and you're inputting players with low stage knowledge. If the matches on these stages are awful and it's just annoying anyway when "that one guy" doesn't understand the strategy to win and picks the outlandish cp stages anyway, people eventually just want to ban the cp stages altogether so a small starter list will always lead to an eventual small total stage list. Why would we design this implication into our stage rules?

This is already a long post in which I've pretty much just laid out why the starter-counterpick dichotomy is bad and why a short list of allegedly "neutral" stages will always be anything but. At this point I've asserted we need a ton of starters and no counterpicks. Our problem is that we have three principles that all tend to lead to the best game but run contrary to each other:

-Stages should be selected quickly.
-The chosen stage should be fair as often as possible.
-The game should have as much variety as possible.

Sacrificing any one point makes things fairly easy. If you use a small stage list, you directly move a lot of variety by removing stages and effectively remove more by making fewer characters viable. If you don't care about the fairness of the stage you pick, you can just random a stage which is super fast and super high variety. If you don't care about time, you can full list stage strike from 21 stages to get a super fair outcome that will encapsulate a mountain of variety. Here's what I can glean from this:

Stage striking as a procedure is not practical past 13 stages. 13 is a very good number (balanced striking, the only other number that works as well is 9), and no matter what happens, this makes 13 a good floor for legal stages. We need to adamantly insist on no stage lists for smash wii u with under 13 total legal stages and for all 13 at such events to be starters. However, we're going to have more than 13 good stages, and we need to figure out how to make them all game one legal. If we get precisely 18 or 26 good stages, we have one easy bisection option of just making even numbered rounds use one starter list while odd numbered rounds use the exact opposite list. That too seems unlikely; we're betting on lucky numbers. I think all things being considered a pretty good solution would be this:

For locals, you just randomize the starter list per event from the pool of good stages. To guarantee no super lopsided results, divide the legal stages between "static" and "dynamic" and preserve the ratio. If your legal stage list contains 12 mostly static stages and 8 dynamic ones, your randomized starter list will be guaranteed to contain 8 static stages and 5 dynamic ones. Players can always counterpick any of your legal stage pool, but the stages that don't get picked for a specific event will be counterpick only that day (and yes, that means that some days Final Destination or Battlefield will not be starters; it's okay). For larger scale events, vary the stage list per round, re-randomizing every time but always including every stage that was excluded from the previous round in the current round and maybe having a similar rule against a stage being allowed to be on the list too many rounds in a row. Do this before the event so players can see in advance what they'll be facing. This might be hard to coordinate if you run your event really loosely and have a ton of different rounds playing at the same time, but that's bad TOing in a few ways so just don't do that and it will be easy to communicate the stage list per round.

That solution isn't perfect, but I can't come up with anything better. I'd love to full list strike from 21 stages or whatever, but it would really slow down tournaments and prove a huge barrier of entry to newer players. I'm just plain not willing to ban stages over that kind of procedural concern though; I think a compromise something like this is going to be our best play.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I would just like to chime in here and say our recent /r/smashbros EU tournament went quite well striking from the entire list of legal stages. Though admittedly we only had 9 stages since it was 3DS, it still shows that some people are willing to try this and learn and that in practice it can go well.

Top Bottom