• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Demo 2.5 Tournament Results Archive (*Updated 7/24/2013*)

metroid1117

Smash Master
No, thanks for posting it; it's always good to have accurate info and you also brought to my attention that I didn't type the hyperlink to the videos properly :).

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
So I'm going to start doing this:
What I DO have.....is the time to start keeping a winnings chart! (^_^) My friend made one of these for Brawl and it ended up being used in the creation of the BBR's latest official tier list. I think such a list will actually a shed a lot of light on who's actually being the most successful, since the money won from a tourney reflects how many people were in the event.

In any case, it's probably more accurate and useful to keep a winnings chart then to try to keep track of 'who won the most' and 'whose tournament wins were the most notable'. Better to start now while the pool is somewhat small..... :smash:

metroid1117

Smash Master
I've already been told by some people that they have been compiling character rankings of their own based on this list, but if you want to start making your list, then please feel free to do so.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Well, this isn't a results-based 'character rankings' list. This is a compilation of the total tourney winnings of each character a.k.a. money won, which is a direct display of a char's success in tournament. As far as I've seen, the only extensive record of this for any Smash game is what my friend put together for Brawl (the BBR used it to create their tier list and get MK banned for a time), but he inspired me to do this for P:M.

The thing about this is that larger tourneys will obviously donate more money to a character's winnings which will automatically take care of the omnipresent question: which tourneys were larger/more notable? There are a lot of other 'problems' that this kind of analysis addresses as well, so by recording the money won, I'm indirectly displaying a char's relevance in the current competitive metagame.

Edit: For instance, this analysis also automatically pays attention to ALL the high placements, not just the chars who are winning, since more placements than just 1st place win money. In addition, since only money won is recorded, it automatically takes care of the fact that different placings win (different amounts) of money from tourney to tourney. The bottom line basically is that the money tells all. :)

traffic.

Smash Journeyman
You understand that by ranking characters by the results of tournament winnings, you are making a results-based character rankings list, right?

like you read those first two sentences to yourself.

right?

work together, people doing the exact same thing separately is just silly.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
A 'regular' results-based rankings list, as I understand it, is just taking a character's placements at different tourneys and averaging them together over the number of tourneys, regardless of how large each tourney was. A character who got 1st a small local receives as much weight as a character who got 1st at a national. Money solves all that, since more people = more money. In addition, a 'regular' list (a.k.a. what I've seen) IGNORES which placings may have been important at different tourneys. For example, at a small local, ideally, only the top three placings should receive any sort of monetary prize, but at APEX, the top 8 received money. Those are the 'noticeable placements' for that tourney, and a regular list doesn't really take that into accout. Like, I'm aware that what I'm doing technically is just another type of a "results-based character rankings list", but its methods and what it accounts for are different from what you normally see.

Edit: To see what my friend did with Brawl, check out this thread. I plan to adopt an almost identical format, tweaked for Project M characters of course. In addition, I'll be keeping track of monthly updates to identify which characters are 'on the rise' at a certain time of the year.

traffic.

Smash Journeyman
Yeah no I understood what you were saying. It's just additional information to add to the existing criteria collected to decide who is "best." divide money won by number of tournaments and you have your "best" character by seeing who has won the most $ per tournament on average, and it simply tells you who the best players play as. very different than consolidating the collective efforts of everyone to determine who is most universally successful and you are instead denouncing the legitimacy of 100 small local events because they dont put up apex money.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Yeah no I understood what you were saying. It's just additional information to add to the existing criteria collected to decide who is "best." divide money won by number of tournaments and you have your "best" character by seeing who has won the most $ per tournament on average, and it simply tells you who the best players play as. very different than consolidating the collective efforts of everyone to determine who is most universally successful and you are instead denouncing the legitimacy of 100 small local events because they dont put up apex money.
Ironically, taking into account prize money won would invalidate the APEX Project M tournament, since there was no prize money to win.

Also, there are currently zero PM tournaments from this week with complete results threads, so I'm going to put off the update until I find/receive at least three results with the top 7 characters.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
London Anime Con 6
Holloway Road, London
10/02/13
11 Entrants
£2 entry fee
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=328369

1: Professor Pro (Snake)
2: Fuzzyness (Sonic/Lucario/Lucas/Marth)
3: Jolteon (Toon Link)
4: Alpha Dash (Wario/ROB/Diddy)
5: JJLinyard (Sonic)
5: Hoe4u (Pikachu)
7: Rampage (?)
7: Frugs (Marth/Falco)
9: Beast (?)
9: Wolf (?)
9: m2k2 (?)

metroid1117

Smash Master
London Anime Con 6
Holloway Road, London
10/02/13
11 Entrants
£2 entry fee
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=328369

1: Professor Pro (Snake)
2: Fuzzyness (Sonic/Lucario/Lucas/Marth)
3: Jolteon (Toon Link)
4: Alpha Dash (Wario/ROB/Diddy)
5: JJLinyard (Sonic)
5: Hoe4u (Pikachu)
7: Rampage (?)
7: Frugs (Marth/Falco)
9: Beast (?)
9: Wolf (?)
9: m2k2 (?)

Jolteon, thank you so much for posting these in the proper format! This will go up when more tournaments have been posted just to cut down on the number of updates.

EDIT: I have my eye out for two more complete results, then that will make for at least 4 tournaments in the next update.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
np :B

Also the date format I posted in was dd/mm/yyyy, so it'd be 2/10/13 for you guys haha.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Thanks Daze, I've added that into the OP. Just curious, did you enter two separate times? There's an entry with your name (Dazrin) and an entry with the name "Daze".

bubbaking

Smash Hero
3 hours.

To be fair, I'm not "denouncing" anything. Locals still hold weight in my analysis. You'd just need more of them to have the same weight as a large regional or a national. Small locals are much less notable in importance, which is reflected in the money won from them. However, if a char is repeatedly winning locals in an area, the money will add up. You don't need to worry about that. ;)

Ironically, taking into account prize money won would invalidate the APEX Project M tournament, since there was no prize money to win.
That's quite interesting. However, I'm actually not too concerned about this. APEX was arguably a very small tournament anyway with only 16 people. How much money would have been won from such a small bracket (assuming the entry fee would have been reasonable if a pot was actually given)? Probably not enough to have much of an impact. Besides, as I understand it, this tournament didn't even play out properly (Hbox forfeited Losers Finals because of time constraints). That kind of makes those results a little bit illegitimate, unfortunately. :ohwell:

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Apex was stacked as hell, easily the most competitive 2.5 tournament to date. Even some of the last placers have tournament wins under their belts. Forfeiting loser's finals may have shuffled the top 3 a bit, but it's no worse than splitting which still happens regularly, and it hardly makes the results "illegitimate." And Reflex likely would have gotten 1st regardless seeing as he had already beaten HBox in winner's.

Solo Ivy will never win a tournament. :cry:
Reflex and Vwins are both more than capable of winning a tournament with Ivysaur.

:phone:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Apex was stacked as hell, easily the most competitive 2.5 tournament to date. Even some of the last placers have tournament wins under their belts. Forfeiting loser's finals may have shuffled the top 3 a bit, but it's no worse than splitting which still happens regularly, and it hardly makes the results "illegitimate." And Reflex likely would have gotten 1st regardless seeing as he had already beaten HBox in winner's.
Yes, all of this is true, but 16 people is still extremely small. Even if a pot was available, assuming a $5 entry fee ($80 total) with a standard 60/30/10 split, that would only net the winner $48, 2nd place $24, and 3rd place $8. In the long run, after my analysis has compiled dozens or possibly even hundreds of tournaments, the significance of such a small pot is not very large, especially when you consider that not one character's usage was repeated among the 16 entrants. The already small prize money would have been split pretty thoroughly by three different characters, causing the impact to a certain char's standings to be even smaller. To be clear, I'm not saying APEX wasn't important; I'm saying that the data (not only for my analysis but for ANYONE'S objective analysis) doesn't hold much weight.

It's impossible to give a tournament non-numeric significance that isn't subjective. :ohwell:

Edit: But in case this bothers you, Metroid and JC, would you like me to include APEX (with an assumed $5 entry fee) in my findings?

Reflex and Vwins are both more than capable of winning a tournament with Ivysaur.
The problem is that I see the chance of Reflex going solo Wario a LOT more probable than his chance of going solo Ivy (which is what I was referring to). I'm aware that Vwins picked up Ivy, but is he seriously dropping Lucario? :-O

This. They are so fun to watch.

OMFG watch Prof Pro Bubbaking! So pro!!!!!!!! :snake:
Yeah, I've seen it. His Snake is crazy! :crazy:

metroid1117

Smash Master
Yes, all of this is true, but 16 people is still extremely small. Even if a pot was available, assuming a $5 entry fee ($80 total) with a standard 60/30/10 split, that would only net the winner $48, 2nd place $24, and 3rd place $8. In the long run, after my analysis has compiled dozens or possibly even hundreds of tournaments, the significance of such a small pot is not very large, especially when you consider that not one character's usage was repeated among the 16 entrants. The already small prize money would have been split pretty thoroughly by three different characters, causing the impact to a certain char's standings to be even smaller. To be clear, I'm not saying APEX wasn't important; I'm saying that the data (not only for my analysis but for ANYONE'S objective analysis) doesn't hold much weight.

It's impossible to give a tournament non-numeric significance that isn't subjective. :ohwell:

Edit: But in case this bothers you, Metroid and JC, would you like me to include APEX (with an assumed $5 entry fee) in my findings?
I personally don't mind either way; the data is for the public, so I can't and shouldn't influence how you analyze the available information.

metroid1117

Smash Master
The format will need fixing metroid. ;_;
Wow. Collapse doesn't work. >>
Yeah... this thread will need work if the old forum codes don't transfer over. I'm going to track this past weekend's results and maybe add them on with the same format in the hopes that it gets fixed. I'll replace the collapse tags with spoiler tags if the old codes don't get fixed. I hope character heads come back though.

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
Awesome work metroid thanks for constantly updating and such, not sure how I haven't come across this sooner.

hopefully the old formats make a return

ps. traffic used Squirtle and hax0r used Puff in MiTH 8 Results if you wanna add those

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Replace "collapse" with "spoiler" in the brackets and it should work the same way.

Also, here are results from a round robin event this past weekend in Auburn, AL. $5, 8 entrants.

1. Reflex (Ivysaur) [$21]
2. Spade (Link) [$10.50]
3. AML?! (Sonic) [$3.50]
4. Player-1 (Diddy/Rob)
5. M3t (Mr. G&W)
6. DRON (Lucario)
7. ROFLcopter (Lucas)
8. Aura (Wolf/Jigglypuff)

http://smashboards.com/threads/334239/

metroid1117

Smash Master
Replace "collapse" with "spoiler" in the brackets and it should work the same way.

Also, here are results from a round robin event this past weekend in Auburn, AL. $5, 8 entrants.

1. Reflex (Ivysaur) [$21]
2. Spade (Link) [$10.50]
3. AML?! (Sonic) [$3.50]
4. Player-1 (Diddy/Rob)
5. M3t (Mr. G&W)
6. DRON (Lucario)
7. ROFLcopter (Lucas)
8. Aura (Wolf/Jigglypuff)

http://smashboards.com/threads/334239/
Project M Singles (East Texas Fight Club Round 1)
1: Dakpo ($38.50) (GnW)
2: Denti ($11.00) (Lucario)
3: keys ($5.50) (Zelda)
4: popertop
5: Count_Blue (Ganon)
5: Bomb
7: Arty
7: ALSM (sheik)
9: PsychoAce
9: Cliet
13: iceCream (ZSS)

No TIOPro file yet apparently, but Game and Watch has his first tournament win! Good **** to Dakpo!
Thanks for posting these results, guys. I'll get around to fixing the thread and adding this weekend's results eventually, but life is pretty busy at the moment.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Two things.

1) http://smashboards.com/threads/334291/

Character Rankings thread started. Once Metroid updates this again, I'll add all the info I'm intending to.

2) I feel bad for Strong Bad. He is consistently placing highly in tournaments, but not in the top spots, meaning all the videos are of him losing to really good players despite him being a good DK.

Ace55

Smash Lord
So is a 21 person 1 euro single elimination tourney worth adding? It was single elimination because of lack of setups.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Gave you the second post, too, metroid.
Thanks, Reflex :).

By the way, I went and tried replacing all of the collapse tags with spoiler tags, but somehow the spoiler tags doubled even though there's only one spoiler tag for each tournament... if someone could help me out and check the spoiler tags, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, since I have a copy of the OP as a Word document, I'm going to just keep adding data to there but not update the thread until collapse tags and character heads get fixed.

Rat

Smash Lord
Sakurai Can't Save You Now 5 - Singles
Oak Lawn, IL
2/15/13 – 2/16/13
Entrants – 37
Entry Fee - $15 (+ $100 Pot Bonus)
Payout
1st - $325 (+$50 OoS Bonus)
2nd - $175
3rd - $75
4th - $35
5th - $15
7th - $7.5
http://smashboards.com/threads/334196/

1: Sethlon (Sonic)
2: Strong Bad (DK)
3: Kirk (Bowser)
4: Oracle (ROB/GW)
5: Kels (Fox)
5: Vro (Ike/Lucas/ZSS)
7: Metroid1117 (Charizard)
7: DSF (Fox/DDD)
9: Ripple (DK)
9: MDZ (Falco)
9: Trail (Bowser)
9: Hylian (Link)
13: ORLY (Bowser)
13: Dart (Marth)
13: Rat (Wolf)
13: Oro?! (ZSS)
17: Arty
17: Sago (Snake)
17: Dr. Insaniac
17: Shady (Marth/Ivy)
17: Tmacc (Bowser)
17: Tink (Shiek/Marth)
17: JCSlick (Pit/Dedede)
17: Scythe (Wolf)
25: Norm (Bowser)
25: Mundungu
25: Cosmo (Shiek)
25: Big C
25: Atma
25: Zwarm (Zelda)
25: Mello
25: Blake

http://www.twitch.tv/kirkiusprime
http://www.youtube.com/user/Mundungu8

Sakurai Can't Save You Now 5 - Doubles
Oak Lawn, IL
2/15/13 – 2/16/13
Entrants:15 Teams
Entry Fee: $20 per Team ($10 per player)
1st - $180
2nd - $90
3rd - $30

1: MW Guardians (Tink + Kels) (Marth + Fox)
2: Terra's Theme...dun na na na naah (Kirk + Scythe) (Bowser + Ganondorf)
3: Team Rampage (Strong Bad + ORLY) (DK + Bowser)
4: Oraclon (Sethlon + Oracle) (Sonic + ROB/GW)
5: MattDotDie (MDZ + DSF) (Falco + Falco/Fox)
5: Darticus and his Turtledog (Dart + Trail) (Marth + Bowser)
7: Cosvro (Vro + Cosmo) (Ike + Zelda)
7: Hylian Nightmare ft. DarkAtma (Hylian + DarkAtma) (Link + ?)

Top Bottom