• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Defend the Title - Little Mac Main Social Thread

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
Another way to exploit Cloud's recovery is for Mac to use a walk-off footstool when Cloud is trying to recover without a fully charged limit break. Cloud's up-b recovery requires that he be close to the edge. If you time the footstool just before Cloud's up-b can recover, you'll either land the footstool or throw off Cloud's timing so that his up-b can no longer reach the edge. By using walk-off f-air attempts that you know won't connect (but are still safe and not too close to Cloud) as early edge guard looks, you can condition your opponent to look for the f-air instead of the footstool. And because the f-air requires Mac to be in front of the opponent and the footstool requires Mac be above, you'll surprise your opponent even more so because the footstool is a quicker attack since Mac doesn't have to fall as far to land the attack.
I tend to try and back air stage spike Cloud with Mac because i suck at footstooling i usually get it off more than the footstool anyway..

Zoramine Fae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8088-7214
Post 1001 for this thread whooooooooooo

Stupidity aside, had a round of matches against a semi-decent Cloud earlier today and one last night that was actually pretty damn good, and I've actually figured out something: If you start shielding Cloud's Side B, after the second it, extremely quickly input a down tilt. It might catch them before they can continue and you can then do a string of DTilts or use FSmash to finish it immediately if the percent was high enough.

Also, Finishing Touch's windbox. Why does it have one. Why does KO Punch have one. Why does Mac's recovery suck when a Windbox is in play? ;-;

EDIT: Also, bad quality but I might have a problem. (2nd Edit: Didnt mean for the image to be so large, oh well.)

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Here's an interesting customization that I made for Little Mac...

While Little Mac's ground jumps are weakened by the Lo-Jump Agility Badge, his mid-air jumps receive a good boost by the Double-Jump Boost Brawn Badge; jumping and air speed are also improved by the higher speed value. However, this customization is heavily flawed by that negative defense value, and I don't have any Air Pushover Boxing Gloves to improve Little Mac's defense, while maintaining such a high attack value.

One idea I had was to use a custom spread like the following...

Air Pushover Boxing Gloves: +85 Attack, -7 Defense
Double-Jump Boost Protection Badge: +36 Defense, -30 Speed
Lo-Jump Boots: +85 Speed, -7 Attack

Result: +78 Attack, +29 Defense, +55 Speed

Sadly, I just lack the proper equipment to set this all up.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
What? You telling me you got yourself a Mac amiibo? I've been trying to find meself one of those since I've heard they were being restocked but with no success. :urg:

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
What? You telling me you got yourself a Mac amiibo? I've been trying to find meself one of those since I've heard they were being restocked but with no success. :urg:
My friend somehow managed to get me one he was the one i wanted the most, now i have 5 Amiibo.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Nope, that's not a Little Mac amiibo at all. If it was an amiibo, the customization menu would've been different. I do have a new Mewtwo amiibo though...

Last edited:

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
I do have 9 amiibos at the moment. Out of the ones that are out right now, Little Mac is the only one I have left to get.
I plan on getting the characters i main and my secondaries as of now i have :4link::4littlemac::4falcon::4mewtwo::4greninja: all I'm missing is :4dk:. Then when they release the:4cloud::4feroy::4ryu::4bayonetta: Amiibo i'll definitely get a hold of them as well.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I actually got a Little Mac amiibo on a whim.

Still need to find :4wiifit::4robinm:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
The amiibos I have right now are :4link::rosalina::4megaman::4myfriends::4shulk::4lucina::4robinm::4fox: and :4falco:. As I mentioned, out of the amiibos out right now, the only one I have missing is :4littlemac:.

I do plan to get :4cloud::4corrin: and maybe :4ryu: when they come out.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
I only have 3 - :4mario::4zss::4ganondorf:.

My walmart has amiibo, which is where I got these, but its mostly super mario amiibos. The few smash bros ones they have tend to change every once and a while. They used to have mario, luigi, peach, and zss. On my latest visit, they had zelda and ganondorf, so I got ganon.

Last edited:

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
Is it bad that i try to Side B ( Air Mac ) off the stage to get a K.O?.... because I definitely make a habit out of it.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Is it bad that i try to Side B ( Air Mac ) off the stage to get a K.O?.... because I definitely make a habit out of it.
There is nothing wrong with it but you better time it perfectly or you're dead.

I only did it one and it was on accident

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Sometimes SDing yourself for misusing Jolt Haymaker can make you wonder if you should switch over to Guard Breaker. Sure, you have less freedom to attack with Guard Breaker, but its shorter travel distance does help you avoid suicide.

Of course, Guard Breaker is heavily flawed in the recovery department, since you don't get any horizontal momentum if you use it out of hitstun.

It's a shame that you're not really allowed to utilize equipment in competitive matches, since the Double-Jump Boost equipment can really help Little Mac deal with his atrocious recovery better.

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1
Sometimes SDing yourself for misusing Jolt Haymaker can make you wonder if you should switch over to Guard Breaker. Sure, you have less freedom to attack with Guard Breaker, but its shorter travel distance does help you avoid suicide.

Of course, Guard Breaker is heavily flawed in the recovery department, since you don't get any horizontal momentum if you use it out of hitstun.

It's a shame that you're not really allowed to utilize equipment in competitive matches, since the Double-Jump Boost equipment can really help Little Mac deal with his atrocious recovery better.
i like to use sticky edge gloves. it helps him, without changing how he plays. i also use that one effect that gives you armor while charging a smash attack.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I definitely wouldn't do it but if you want to then, as Champ Black mentioned, time it perfectly. You would have to have a lot of brass balls to do something that reckless.

Last edited:

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
I definitely wouldn't do it but if you want to then, as Champ Black mentioned, time it perfectly. You would have to have a lot of brass balls to do something that reckless.
I usually do it when i'm just messing around with my friends or when i have a significant lead on my opponent i'll go for it. It's just so satisfying to pull off...when i actually hit the person.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I don't play Mac much (despite my love for the character since I like to do boxing irl) but my brother does. When I tried hitting him with finishing touch as Cloud, he used his b move (non full KO bar version) and the super armor completely canned Cloud',s limit, leaving Mac completely unharmed with a mere 1%.

I thought it was worth a good laugh, but a nice move of note (along with any of Mac's super armor moves) that can screw up finishing touch hard.

Also I want a Mac amiibo for my brother.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I did find out that the Air Pushover bonus effect does make Jolt Haymaker and its custom specials deal less damage than normal, even when they're used on the ground. Keep this in mind if you're making any Little Mac customizations.

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
I feel like I've been improving my Little Mac ever so slightly. Been winning a lot more with him when i face my friends and even do pretty well on FG...

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I haven't been using Mac a lot these days after Cloud came out. I will still use him from time to time though.

Did had some ups and downs with him regardless.

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
I haven't been using Mac a lot these days after Cloud came out. I will still use him from time to time though.

Did had some ups and downs with him regardless.
Yeah I have divided my attention between Mac, Cloud, Link and Mewtwo for the most part i'm decent with everyone but i feel like my Mac needs more work.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Yeah I have divided my attention between Mac, Cloud, Link and Mewtwo for the most part i'm decent with everyone but i feel like my Mac needs more work.
You can just look at my signature to see the characters I've been using a lot these days (besides Corrin since he/she's not out yet but do plan to main him/her.

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
So I just faced a really good Fox player and somehow managed to win using Little Mac and Link.. I feel so accomplished we had a few games and it was pretty close each time. K.O. punch is the ****!

jet56

Smash Journeyman
hmm...this thread is dead so im gonna jumpstart it with a nice topic (that has already been well discussed, but we got another patch coming so why not?)

1. What kind of buffs do you want for little mac?
2. What kind of buffs do you think little mac needs?
3. What kind of buffs, if any, do you think little mac will get?

For me:
1. down throw combos into up smash at low percents, and up b at high percents. this will make people stop F***ing shield camping me all the bloody time. Oh, and i know this won't happen, but i want dtilt to be safe on shield outright, because i hate how little mac can get shield grabbed for doing anything on shield. that would be nice.
2. In all honesty, get rid of the Nair and side b recovery nerf that he got hit with. it would help him out tremendously without changing the character at all.
3. To be honest, im expecting little mac to get one SMALL buff, to something inconsequential, that won't help him at all.

The number of times i have been camped, gimped, and cheesed while playing mac has gotten ridiculous. In all honesty, most of this comes from the fact my opponent can ban the one stage that doesn't have platforms (FD), and can take me anywhere else where they can circle camp to some extent. He really needs something to fight against this, even if its minor.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Honestly, I don't give a **** about balance patches since the first one came out. Whatever buffs or nerfs Mac gets (or any other character at that matter) has no meaning for me. I only play Smash to have fun. Nothing more, nothing less.

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
The way Mac is now is fine with me. I don't see any reason to nerf or buff any of his moves, but if I were to choose one thing obviously improve his recovery, but that will never happen lol.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
So with the new patch, Mac got a change to the angle of his dthrow by about 5 degrees. Does it help him at all? I'm asking you guys if anyone has tried, because I think Mac deserves some sort of follow up out of his grabs, being a ground dominant character and all.

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
So with the new patch, Mac got a change to the angle of his dthrow by about 5 degrees. Does it help him at all? I'm asking you guys if anyone has tried, because I think Mac deserves some sort of follow up out of his grabs, being a ground dominant character and all.
He got an angle adjustment to his dthrow?... I'm going to need to test that out I was unaware for that.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
He got an angle adjustment to his dthrow?... I'm going to need to test that out I was unaware for that.
Here're all the known changes.
  • Fsmash Up Angled Damage: 19 -> 21
  • Usmash Uncharged Damage: 20 -> 21
  • Dsmash Damage: 12 -> 13
  • Dsmash Angle: 30 -> 45
  • Uthrow Angle: 85 -> 80
  • Dthrow Angle: 85 -> 80

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
Here're all the known changes.
  • Fsmash Up Angled Damage: 19 -> 21
  • Usmash Uncharged Damage: 20 -> 21
  • Dsmash Damage: 12 -> 13
  • Dsmash Angle: 30 -> 45
  • Uthrow Angle: 85 -> 80
  • Dthrow Angle: 85 -> 80
Thanks for the heads up. Going to hit the lab now and see what I can pull of with these changes.

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
Thanks for the heads up. Going to hit the lab now and see what I can pull of with these changes.
Nice! I'm curious about the changes to the throws. Weird to buff the dmg on UFsmash though, there are so many other things they could have buffed... Ah well not gonna complain ;)

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Little mac getting DAMAGE BUFFS on the same day bayonetta joins smash...

It must be my birthday.

Last edited:

SuperDavio

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperDavio
3DS FC
1633-4266-1971
I'll have to see what the throw angles do, but I imagine it makes it a bit harder to punish bad DI with up B.

The angle change on dsmash is not worth the damage buff alone. But maybe the damage buff allows for better shield pressure. I saw 1 dtilt to hook break a shield earlier.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
The damage buffs seems a bit pointless to me since he's already a beast...but eh, why do I care?

At least he didn't get any major nerfs.

Last edited:

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1
mac grab game incoming,

dthrow on fast fallers

dthrow > side b
dthrow > KO punch
dthrow > pp utilt
dthrow > fair/uair
dthrow > usmash for mixups. if they double jump or attack out of it with bad DI they are probably going to eat an usmash, if they air dodge, you can jab/dtilt/regrab whatever

oh most importantly, dthrow > footstool

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Nice to see Mac getting buffed in places he doesn't really need, BUT it's awesome either way because it makes him even deadlier on his area of expertise.

Question, ever since the change in shield (stun?) mechanics... How has this character benefitted?

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1
ok so bayo's witch time is annoying. came across a bayo who wouldnt go offstage to gimp me but instead just wait at the ledge and witch time my up b/ side b then proceed to spike me

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
ok so bayo's witch time is annoying. came across a bayo who wouldnt go offstage to gimp me but instead just wait at the ledge and witch time my up b/ side b then proceed to spike me
Just recover under and wall jump to avoid it

Top Bottom