• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Defend the Title - Little Mac Main Social Thread

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
See this is why I hate playing online after a long break with Mac. I get radically worst

Por Que?

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman

so, more theorycrafting. if you've seen older posts of mine, you'll know that i think that the mac meta has a future on platforms. i think the above video has hidden potential for mac, as his frame data is arguably the best in the game. if mac nation can learn to exploit this tech, we may have more options on terrible stages like smashville. please discuss.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
See this is why I hate playing online after a long break with Mac. I get radically worst

Por Que?
Haven't exactly had my brightest moments with Mac online either but I still like playing him regardless.

I do have this though. I remember the lag was real.

jazaniac

Smash Rookie
as a villager main, looks like a match against little mac is gonna be troublesome for me. with all that super armor. little mac looks very tough to beat. no doubt he'll be a popular pick in competitive play.
Oh, the pain looking at this today.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Oh, the pain looking at this today.
Villager isn't as bad to deal with.

It just takes patience and focus. Plus Villager's projectiles aren't as devastating as most people make them out to be. It's mostly the tree and edgeguarding F-Smash I fear the most

jazaniac

Smash Rookie
Villager isn't as bad to deal with.

It just takes patience and focus. Plus Villager's projectiles aren't as devastating as most people make them out to be. It's mostly the tree and edgeguarding F-Smash I fear the most
sorry, I wasn't responding to his whole post. Just this part:

no doubt he'll be a popular pick in competitive play.

Last edited:

MonkBard

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-0453-0713
I think I'm gonna lurk around this thread for a while. The good Captain has been, and probably always will be, my one true main, but I do love Little Mac's strong ground game; he's become a strong secondary for me.

BaronFrankenfurter

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone! I"m new here and just wanted to post that I main the little underdog and going to show the Smash community some respect to for the Bruiser. >: 3 Also if you guys have any tips or anything, it's more then appreciated!

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Hello everyone! I"m new here and just wanted to post that I main the little underdog and going to show the Smash community some respect to for the Bruiser. >: 3 Also if you guys have any tips or anything, it's more then appreciated!
On behalf of my fellow Mac mains here, welcome to the Mac boards and Smash Boards.
Make yourself right at home. :)

Last edited:

BaronFrankenfurter

Smash Rookie

so, more theorycrafting. if you've seen older posts of mine, you'll know that i think that the mac meta has a future on platforms. i think the above video has hidden potential for mac, as his frame data is arguably the best in the game. if mac nation can learn to exploit this tech, we may have more options on terrible stages like smashville. please discuss.
Thanks for the video, I'll be sure to practice with it. :3

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
welcome! and don't practice that video right off the bat -- i wouldn't want you to get discouraged. it's more theoretical/advanced meta type stuff -- i don't know if it actually works well for mac, but i hope it does.

for intermediate players to push to the next level, this tutorial video is much better to learn from:

BaronFrankenfurter

Smash Rookie
welcome! and don't practice that video right off the bat -- i wouldn't want you to get discouraged. it's more theoretical/advanced meta type stuff -- i don't know if it actually works well for mac, but i hope it does.

for intermediate players to push to the next level, this tutorial video is much better to learn from:

Thank you! It's totally fine! I actually tried and sort of done it, ended up getting out plateform most of the time. xD This actually a big help and thanks again! I also look at Jtails as well and even play the super punch (SNES) and Wii Punch Out to hopefully further my game as well. Always best go to the source material in opinion.

Also if you guys want you can see this video of me at my best and tell what I need to change and improve on. :3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m-VGEdUdks

Again thanks and hope to hear from ya soon!

Volga

Juggling Veteran
NNID
Saltytitan
3DS FC
0533-7336-5044

its nice to know that i'm doing some of the tech shown in the video without knowing it till now.
*sniffles* i'm getting better.

I don't have DLC money yet,but luckily I got to fight on Midgar for the first time FG Style. Me against a Rosa.
I've never played VII,but this stage looks awesome.

Zoramine Fae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8088-7214
So, 1.1.3 came out today!

Ain't this fun: Tons of buffs all around to lots of low-tier character: Ganondorf was given god-tier status once again, Robin got better aerials and less landing lag on them, Shulk got damage and landing lag decreases, Kirby got buffs to everything (literally).

And we got NOTHIN.

Alright, maybe not: I did some calculations for a Little Mac kill % chart against level 3 CPUs and FSmash, which used to kill at 62%, now kills at 59% against Mario. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like this is an undocumented change or it isnt put down yet.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
There isn't any significant changes but I feel like something got changed for Mac.

Even then once Bayonetta/Corrin drops, we'll probably have something for Mac

Volga

Juggling Veteran
NNID
Saltytitan
3DS FC
0533-7336-5044
If there's one thing i like a lot in Smash,its fighting new Characters as Mac. Fighting Clouds on FG like its Christmas Day! I already knew because of that huge Sword he could keep me out,but man,I gotta work my way in there! also having a KO Punch Ready while He's got Finishing Touch ready is one of the most tense moments i've had in Smash so far.

BaronFrankenfurter

Smash Rookie
its nice to know that i'm doing some of the tech shown in the video without knowing it till now.
*sniffles* i'm getting better.

I don't have DLC money yet,but luckily I got to fight on Midgar for the first time FG Style. Me against a Rosa.
I've never played VII,but this stage looks awesome.

Sweet moves! Like the fact you didn't roll as much as I do. xD Mostly all the attacks connected and I know Rosalina and her **** blocking star isn't easy to defeat unless it's a noob. :Y Also like your Ganon gif and I'm surprised he doesn't go like '***** please, I got that tri force of power swagger, so I don't need to stupid hear' *tosses it* x3 He's so boss and like his style in Hyrule Warriors.

Zoramine Fae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8088-7214
ALRIGHT.

Turns out I completely forgot that Mac's FSmash apparently has a sourspot. For some dumb reason. This means I have to recalculate literally everything and thus killed my mood.

But I'm looking forward to how Mac will do against Cloud. Out of experience this morning (eight Clouds in a row. EIGHT.), Cloud can keep Mac at bay with his projectile special and he can charge Limit Breaker if you decide to get impatient. However, if they don't play it right, DTilt and UTilt are really frustrating for him to break through and he doesn't really kill all that well outside of a well-placed read (or the ******** Down Smash of Doom and Destruction). Side Special is a bit frustrating to get by but they never really get that difficult since it doesn't kill all that early and launches rather upwards instead of horizontally. And his Dash Attack is pretty punishable.

Hope this helps with those who play Mac these days on FG.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Not surprised about all that. We all probably knew that For Glory would be flooded with Clouds everywhere and I'm pretty sure the same will apply for both Corrin and Bayonetta when they come out.

Last edited:

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
might be placebo, but i think mac's bthrow got buffed. i've been getting kills with bthrow at like 110%. anyone familiar with bthrow's kill percentages?

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
ALRIGHT.

Turns out I completely forgot that Mac's FSmash apparently has a sourspot. For some dumb reason. This means I have to recalculate literally everything and thus killed my mood.

But I'm looking forward to how Mac will do against Cloud. Out of experience this morning (eight Clouds in a row. EIGHT.), Cloud can keep Mac at bay with his projectile special and he can charge Limit Breaker if you decide to get impatient. However, if they don't play it right, DTilt and UTilt are really frustrating for him to break through and he doesn't really kill all that well outside of a well-placed read (or the ******** Down Smash of Doom and Destruction). Side Special is a bit frustrating to get by but they never really get that difficult since it doesn't kill all that early and launches rather upwards instead of horizontally. And his Dash Attack is pretty punishable.

Hope this helps with those who play Mac these days on FG.
if cloud doesn't sweetspot the ledge on his upB, counter will kill him every time. it's worse than shulk's recovery.

EDIT: oops double post. meant to quote in the last post.

Last edited:

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1
might be placebo, but i think mac's bthrow got buffed. i've been getting kills with bthrow at like 110%. anyone familiar with bthrow's kill percentages?
in training mode (so no rage) it usually kills at ~140% at the ledge. 110 sounds about right with rage on a lighter weight char

My Cloud findings:

- you can jab> etc. his blade beams. a limit beam can be eaten with a straight lunge, otherwise shield/dodge
- you can side b over his blade beams, but not limit beam
- he can wall jump (and i just found out that kalos pokemon stage can now be walljumped on. YES!)
- his KO punch% is 25% (zero to KO combo: up-fsmash > dtilt > KO)
- pretty susceptible to pummel release > dtilt. though they can easily perfect shield and punish.
- while it may share similarities to our KO punch, Finishing touch can be shielded and countered.
- you can shield the first two hits of his sideb then jc upB before the third strike comes out

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
in training mode (so no rage) it usually kills at ~140% at the ledge. 110 sounds about right with rage on a lighter weight char

My Cloud findings:

- you can jab> etc. his blade beams. a limit beam can be eaten with a straight lunge, otherwise shield/dodge
- you can side b over his blade beams, but not limit beam
- he can wall jump (and i just found out that kalos pokemon stage can now be walljumped on. YES!)
- his KO punch% is 25% (zero to KO combo: up-fsmash > dtilt > KO)
- pretty susceptible to pummel release > dtilt. though they can easily perfect shield and punish.
- while it may share similarities to our KO punch, Finishing touch can be shielded and countered.
- you can shield the first two hits of his sideb then jc upB before the third strike comes out
kalos can be walljumped now?! AMAZING.

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1
mac dies to finishing touch at 68%

40% from uair to finishing touch
46% utilt to FT
45% sex-dair to FT

Last edited:

Volga

Juggling Veteran
NNID
Saltytitan
3DS FC
0533-7336-5044
Sweet moves! Like the fact you didn't roll as much as I do. xD Mostly all the attacks connected and I know Rosalina and her **** blocking star isn't easy to defeat unless it's a noob. :Y Also like your Ganon gif and I'm surprised he doesn't go like '***** please, I got that tri force of power swagger, so I don't need to stupid hear' *tosses it* x3 He's so boss and like his style in Hyrule Warriors.
thanks! I've bumped my rolling down a notch ever since i picked up this game. Also against Rosa my mindset is to usually tag her with something,or keep her out at least.
Also Ganons probably my favorite character in HW,which is why i got this neat setup

mac dies to finishing touch at 68%

40% from uair to finishing touch
46% utilt to FT
nice to know. from the looks of it,it comes out slower than KO punch.

BaronFrankenfurter

Smash Rookie
Dudes I just defeated a cloud in tourney on one stock and it was first time fighting him! xD He almost had me though but one good punch knock that pretty boy out. >: 3

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I'm just gonna leave this here. Even though I now use him from time to time, I still rep that Mac.
I haven't fought a Cloud as him yet.

Zoramine Fae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8088-7214
KO Punch definitely comes out faster than Finishing Touch, almost to the point of it being a significant difference for you to react to. The greatest fear a Mac has against Cloud is NAir when Mac is recovering, since it covers the entirity of Cloud's hitbox and really is frustrating to get by.

BAir and UAir kill from midstage with best DI before 150%. Definitely a concern since Back Air kills even earlier since you won't be able to recover a few % before BAir actually kills. On 3DS on Final Destination, UAir kills at 145% and BAir kills at 138%.

Limit Break Side B is dumb af. Just hold down shield in front of Cloud always, none of his kills throw or combo into anything decent at later percents.

If I find anything new, I'll post it here.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
KO Punch definitely comes out faster than Finishing Touch, almost to the point of it being a significant difference for you to react to. The greatest fear a Mac has against Cloud is NAir when Mac is recovering, since it covers the entirity of Cloud's hitbox and really is frustrating to get by.

BAir and UAir kill from midstage with best DI before 150%. Definitely a concern since Back Air kills even earlier since you won't be able to recover a few % before BAir actually kills. On 3DS on Final Destination, UAir kills at 145% and BAir kills at 138%.

Limit Break Side B is dumb af. Just hold down shield in front of Cloud always, none of his kills throw or combo into anything decent at later percents.

If I find anything new, I'll post it here.
Also KO Punch can ignore shield. Finishing Touch can't and you can just shield it.

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
I've managed to beat my friends Cloud with Little Mac it wasn't easy but i try to build up damage and K.O him Asap before he gets his limit. I also try to force him to use his limit attacks so then it doesn't come back to bite me later.

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
I've managed to beat my friends Cloud with Little Mac it wasn't easy but i try to build up damage and K.O him Asap before he gets his limit. I also try to force him to use his limit attacks so then it doesn't come back to bite me later.
Cloud is one of the most stressful matches for me right now. This is probably due to a mixture of it being a new matchup to learn, and also a difficult one. I still don't know much about the matchup despite playing against him a lot lately, but I feel like jab is my best friend in this matchup :x

Also guys, I'm back :x. I've finally got my life back in order, and I am going to make it a priority to be a part of these boards again!

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
Cloud is one of the most stressful matches for me right now. This is probably due to a mixture of it being a new matchup to learn, and also a difficult one. I still don't know much about the matchup despite playing against him a lot lately, but I feel like jab is my best friend in this matchup :x

Also guys, I'm back :x. I've finally got my life back in order, and I am going to make it a priority to be a part of these boards again!
Yeah it will take some getting used to in order to properly face off Cloud with Mac. I'm still trying to see what moves work best against his Limits in term of blocking and punishes.

Zoramine Fae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8088-7214
From what I've been able to tell, Cloud actually does rather well against Mac, but not to the extent of any of the definitely favorable matchups out there. He has some issues with getting past your shield and your armor, but it is hard to force Cloud into playing the game you want him to since either he charges up Limit Breaker or can get a grab off on you to put on some decent pressure. However, I've also found he has some issues edgeguarding, even off a back throw, since FAir is laggy, BAir comes out quick but you can spotdodge through it and it has some endlag, and DAir is... DAir.

Not much experience against GOOD Clouds that actually know what Limit Break Charge is. Most just throw out Finishing Touch the second they get it thinking its a kill move at 10%. Sigh.

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
^ cloud's nair covers all of the space. it will gimp mac at 0% lol. so will blade beam offstage. a good cloud will not let mac land, and will force mac to approach with charging limit break and blade beam. he is only a couple days old right now, but mac will definitely struggle in this MU in the future. the only saving grace is that cloud's recovery is as bad or worse than mac's without LB climhazzard. you can counter an uncharged upB every time if they don't sweetspot it correctly. it is one of the most predictable recoveries in the game, as he doesn't have a 50/50 mixup like mac does with sideB. still, cloud will be problem for mac in the future.

aurelius_mac

Smash Rookie
NNID
bootmario
^ cloud's nair covers all of the space. it will gimp mac at 0% lol. so will blade beam offstage. a good cloud will not let mac land, and will force mac to approach with charging limit break and blade beam. he is only a couple days old right now, but mac will definitely struggle in this MU in the future. the only saving grace is that cloud's recovery is as bad or worse than mac's without LB climhazzard. you can counter an uncharged upB every time if they don't sweetspot it correctly. it is one of the most predictable recoveries in the game, as he doesn't have a 50/50 mixup like mac does with sideB. still, cloud will be problem for mac in the future.
Another way to exploit Cloud's recovery is for Mac to use a walk-off footstool when Cloud is trying to recover without a fully charged limit break. Cloud's up-b recovery requires that he be close to the edge. If you time the footstool just before Cloud's up-b can recover, you'll either land the footstool or throw off Cloud's timing so that his up-b can no longer reach the edge. By using walk-off f-air attempts that you know won't connect (but are still safe and not too close to Cloud) as early edge guard looks, you can condition your opponent to look for the f-air instead of the footstool. And because the f-air requires Mac to be in front of the opponent and the footstool requires Mac be above, you'll surprise your opponent even more so because the footstool is a quicker attack since Mac doesn't have to fall as far to land the attack.

Top Bottom