• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Defend the Title - Little Mac Main Social Thread

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
You all won't believe what I just experienced today because this is just too strange.

Okay, in Team Battle, I tried to land a KO Punch on one of my opponents at the same time he was blocking an attack from my teammate...and my KO Punch didn't do ANYTHING at all. Seriously, I'm not joking. The screen zoomed in when I landed the punch but it did absolutely nothing to my opponent so I don't know what heck did I hit. But whatever it is, my opponent didn't even flinch. Not even his shield was effected by it. I even saved the match to see what happened but...I don't know what happened. That's the first time I've ever seen that happen.

Last edited:

I speak Spanish too

Smash Journeyman
With the new shield stun mechanics and Mac's amazing normals have any shield break combos been found? Or any strings that pressure shields alot? Also what are the most reliable way to beat Aerial pokes/approaches such as Diddy SH F-air, Yoshi's Nair, and empty hopping in general?

Last edited:

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
Hey guys, what do you think is Little Mac's worst/best match up? Just curious.

:135:
Personally, I would imagine Sheik is the worst at a competitive level. Needles make it pretty easy for Sheik to play keep away and stop our approaches, and F-air strings hurt pretty friggin' bad, especially with our poor recovery. Still, I'm no expert.

As for our best matchup? It's a tough call, but I remember people tossing around Lucario's name for that, which does seem to make sense. Our vastly superior speed and frame data means we should do very well at CQC and footsies, and we can kill early enough for Aura not to affect us too badly. Again, though, just a guess.

With the new shield stun mechanics and Mac's amazing normals have any shield break combos been found? Or any strings that pressure shields alot? Also what are the most reliable way to beat Aerial pokes/approaches such as Diddy SH F-air, Yoshi's Nair, and empty hopping in general?
Can't help you with the Shield Breaks or empty hops so much, but air pokes? Super armor on smash attacks are your friend, particularly an U-angled F-smash. Not as powerful as U-smash, but the step forward also makes it harder to fade away from by quite a bit. Take pokes on the chin like a man, and hit them back much, MUCH harder.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
So I was playing some For Glory (a.k.a. Hell's Gate) matches the other day when I stumbled upon this matchup with a rather unfortunate ending...

Volga

Juggling Veteran
NNID
Saltytitan
3DS FC
0533-7336-5044
Trying to get better at Air Fighter Mac

I'm trying to practice setting up Jab Locks with. Dtilt + Fair in to Short Hop Dair. actually doing it in a fight is easier said than done.

TrapOnLotus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StrapOnFetus
A interesting fight at 3AM in the morning, I understand I made a lot of mistakes, but I was very tired! Repping that Little Mac for us

Last edited:

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
A interesting fight at 3AM in the morning, I understand I made a lot of mistakes, but I was very tired! Repping that Little Mac for us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8-YZ7bcFl0

edit, how do yall make it so you see the image and are able to play it! LOL
*open square bracket*media=youtube*closed square bracket* *youtube video code (letters/numbers after watch?v=)* *open square bracket*/media*closed square bracket*

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8-YZ7bcFl0

edit, how do yall make it so you see the image and are able to play it! LOL
Playing For Glory at 3 in the morning? Not good, man...but awesome match nonetheless. lol

You can just click on that film thing that's in between the picture and the plus sign, copy and paste that same link you posted and it will get the video embedded.

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
Playing For Glory at 3 in the morning? Not good, man...but awesome match nonetheless. lol

You can just click on that film thing that's in between the picture and the plus sign, copy and paste that same link you posted and it will get the video embedded.
did not know that! good look.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I haven't been using Little Mac much until earlier this evening, but unfortunately, that was on the 3DS version.

This was my most recent one I had on the Wii U, which was like three weeks ago. I'm definitely gonna use him again in my next For Glory session since I'm already giving Rosalina a break, whom I've played as the whole time the week after this match took place.

TrapOnLotus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StrapOnFetus
I haven't been using Little Mac much until earlier this evening, but unfortunately, that was on the 3DS version.

This was my most recent one I had on the Wii U, which was like three weeks ago. I'm definitely gonna use him again in my next For Glory session since I'm already giving Rosalina a break, whom I've played as the whole time the week after this match took place.

Not bad! Have you learned the Gazelle punch tech? It is really fun and they will not see it coming once you master it.

TrapOnLotus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StrapOnFetus
You mean the one at 0:53? How's that possible?

It is a 2 frame window, the idea is to count to two, so...it would be 1, which is jump, then 2 which is special. This is input'ed while your hanging on the ledge. Here is the source for the timing.

http://smashboards.com/guides/gazelle-punch-timing-guide.488/

That Ganon was really salty when I did that to him LOL

But you immediately recover to the ledge with KO and kill anything with 25% damage

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
It is a 2 frame window, the idea is to count to two, so...it would be 1, which is jump, then 2 which is special. This is input'ed while your hanging on the ledge. Here is the source for the timing.

http://smashboards.com/guides/gazelle-punch-timing-guide.488/

That Ganon was really salty when I did that to him LOL

But you immediately recover to the ledge with KO and kill anything with 25% damage
So all you have to do is to just count to two while inputting the controls and that's it? That does sound pretty strict.

lol My avatar is basically my response to people with salt. xD
LOL I just sent this G&W to the Shadow Realm, has to be one of the quickest matches I ever had

lol A little Yu-Gi-Oh! reference right there. His soul has been lost forever.

That was pretty quick. Just three seconds quicker than the one I had with this one. It ain't the same Ganon from the one I posted above, this took place the week before.

TrapOnLotus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StrapOnFetus
Nice^ Ganons can be a little tricky sometimes, each hit and kick that he does, does MASSIVE damage. But I do enjoy the MU.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Nice^ Ganons can be a little tricky sometimes, each hit and kick that he does, does MASSIVE damage. But I do enjoy the MU.
Thanks. Countering his massive up tilt spelled the beginning of the end for him. The matchup is fun alright. :)

Volga

Juggling Veteran
NNID
Saltytitan
3DS FC
0533-7336-5044
Here's some matches i had last week against what i thought was a cocky greninja. it ain't my best moment,since i'm currently trying to learn roy,but i got the job done.

I'm curious to know what is everyone control setup? I know some people have the C Stick set to Attack for pivot stuff,but i don't see myself getting that movement down soon.

Last edited:

Blurb =)

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, what do you think is Little Mac's worst/best match up? Just curious.

I know this post is from a while ago, but I would say Sheik is his worst matchup. There are two big reasons, the first being needle camping and the second being that Sheik is the best character in the game. However, besides Sheik, I'm a firm believer that the matchups for Little Mac are extremely dependent on the stage. For example, on a stage like Smashville Mario is his worst matchup because once he gets the percent lead, he can just get on the top platform and camp with fireballs. The only real way to approach him while he's doing this is to Up B, and he will not only see it coming but it is also extremely punishable. Sheik is also a horrible matchup on Smashville, but this is just because it's Sheik on Smashville. Another example would be that on FD, I believe his worst matchup is Sheik and Lucas. Sheik because of reasons mentioned previously, and Lucas because he can essentially perform an impenetrable wall with his PK fires and that snake thing. Similar to Mario, this makes it almost impossible for Little Mac to approach.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Here's some matches i had last week against what i thought was a cocky greninja. it ain't my best moment,since i'm currently trying to learn roy,but i got the job done.

I'm curious to know what is everyone control setup? I know some people have the C Stick set to Attack for pivot stuff,but i don't see myself getting that movement down soon.
Beating cocky players is always a satisfying moment for me. Nice comeback on that second match.

I used to have the c-stick set to Attack for the tilts but I switched it back to Smash Attack since it wasn't working out for me. Whenever I tried to do a tilt, I ended up doing jabs instead.

Last edited:

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
Personally, I have C-stick set to attack, but less because Little Mac benefits from it and more because my other characters (Wii Fit Trainer and Greninja) benefit. It helps with aerials, but that doesn't really affect Mac so much. What Mac does get out of it is easier Perfect Pivot tilts, and an easier time using D-tilt/U-tilt while walking. This comes at the cost of making running U-smash a little harder, but otherwise has no major drawbacks other than re-learning your controls. Personally, I also had a really hard time getting angled F-smashes with the C-stick (for all that shield breaking, anti-air and combo goodness), so the change also forcing me to smash manually actually helped in some ways.

Blurb =)

Smash Rookie

Good stuff! That KO punch at the end was great.

Just as a little bit of feedback, I would recommend not recovering high as much. For example, at 0:40 during your second video, I think recovering low and using up b would have been a better option. Generally recovering low is safer, and a lot of people won't take the risk of challenging a low recovering little mac.

And while I play on the 3ds (Wii U costs money and stuff), when playing at a friends house I always have the C stick set to smash attack. I played a crapton of melee as a kid and I always spammed c stick as falco whenever I played. Because of this, it's still muscle memory all of these years later and I have so much trouble going back. Besides that, I have tap jump off and I have L set to grab.

Volga

Juggling Veteran
NNID
Saltytitan
3DS FC
0533-7336-5044
Thanks for the answers Tino Tino SteadyDisciple SteadyDisciple and Blurb =) Blurb =) . personally i got the grab set to Y on my pro controller. having it on L feels weird to me. but most of the other stuff is the same. Kept the C stick normal because I like doing running Usmashes with Mac.that sweetspot is too good.

Good stuff! That KO punch at the end was great.

Just as a little bit of feedback, I would recommend not recovering high as much. For example, at 0:40 during your second video, I think recovering low and using up b would have been a better option. Generally recovering low is safer, and a lot of people won't take the risk of challenging a low recovering little mac.
yeah I should've done that looking back. I think i jumped the gun in that one.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I know this post is from a while ago, but I would say Sheik is his worst matchup. There are two big reasons, the first being needle camping and the second being that Sheik is the best character in the game. However, besides Sheik, I'm a firm believer that the matchups for Little Mac are extremely dependent on the stage. For example, on a stage like Smashville Mario is his worst matchup because once he gets the percent lead, he can just get on the top platform and camp with fireballs. The only real way to approach him while he's doing this is to Up B, and he will not only see it coming but it is also extremely punishable. Sheik is also a horrible matchup on Smashville, but this is just because it's Sheik on Smashville. Another example would be that on FD, I believe his worst matchup is Sheik and Lucas. Sheik because of reasons mentioned previously, and Lucas because he can essentially perform an impenetrable wall with his PK fires and that snake thing. Similar to Mario, this makes it almost impossible for Little Mac to approach.
So, basically, anyone who can keep Mac at bay is a bad match up for him?

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
So, basically, anyone who can keep Mac at bay is a bad match up for him?

Pretty much. Although ZSS does have trouble against Mac in small aspects due to a lot of laggy moves and if Mac can stay on the ground, he's pretty much safe.

He not like he has the worst matchups. It's just that a lot of matchups aren't in his favor.

Except for Roy, Mac beats out Roy 55:45

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Pretty much. Although ZSS does have trouble against Mac in small aspects due to a lot of laggy moves and if Mac can stay on the ground, he's pretty much safe.

He not like he has the worst matchups. It's just that a lot of matchups aren't in his favor.

Except for Roy, Mac beats out Roy 55:45
So he can over come them? That's cool to know.

Though I'd imagine that Link vs Lil Mac would be in Mac's favour?

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
So he can over come them? That's cool to know.

Though I'd imagine that Link vs Lil Mac would be in Mac's favour?
Not really... A decent link is able to use bombs, arrows, and boomerang is conjunction to make Mac approaching very difficult (but he still has to approach to do any damage). On top of that, even once relatively close Link's sword outspaces Mac by a decent amount and a decent tether grab makes shielding a pretty hard task as well without reads, making yet another hurdle to try and get past. With that said, If Mac can get in and stay in it's very good for him due to his vastly superior frame data. Overall, if you stay in you do well, but Link will make you pay dearly for EVERY SINGLE APPROACH. All of his projectiles also make decent gimping tools against Mac.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Not really... A decent link is able to use bombs, arrows, and boomerang is conjunction to make Mac approaching very difficult (but he still has to approach to do any damage). On top of that, even once relatively close Link's sword outspaces Mac by a decent amount and a decent tether grab makes shielding a pretty hard task as well without reads, making yet another hurdle to try and get past. With that said, If Mac can get in and stay in it's very good for him due to his vastly superior frame data. Overall, if you stay in you do well, but Link will make you pay dearly for EVERY SINGLE APPROACH. All of his projectiles also make decent gimping tools against Mac.
Yeah, I just had a similar thought. Link is good a shouting down people. But if you get up close, he will struggle.

On another note, if Roy is Lil Mac best match up, would that mean that Lucina/Marth is too?

Blurb =)

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I just had a similar thought. Link is good a shouting down people. But if you get up close, he will struggle.

On another note, if Roy is Lil Mac best match up, would that mean that Lucina/Marth is too?

Fair warning, I have very little experience with any of these matchups, so I could be totally wrong here. However, if I had to give an answer, then I would say that I think so for Lucina, but not for Marth because Marth can outspace Little Mac much better with his tipper. While I haven't experienced the Roy/Lucina matchup much, I have a feeling the Roy matchup is favorable for Mac because Roy only provides solid damage at close range. This probably goes the same for Lucina.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Fair warning, I have very little experience with any of these matchups, so I could be totally wrong here. However, if I had to give an answer, then I would say that I think so for Lucina, but not for Marth because Marth can outspace Little Mac much better with his tipper. While I haven't experienced the Roy/Lucina matchup much, I have a feeling the Roy matchup is favorable for Mac because Roy only provides solid damage at close range. This probably goes the same for Lucina.
Hm, I'd imagine that Lucina is closer to Marth since he sword does even damage throughout her Sword. But Marht might have the edge due to Tipper kill power.

Top Bottom