• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Defend the Title - Little Mac Main Social Thread

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Man, after playing the demo I'm super unhyped to actually play as Little Mac. Every other character in Smash 4 feels like they regularly survive up to 150% damage thanks to their recoveries, and Little Mac has a "great groundgame" (read; he's only good on the ground) with a "terrible airgame" (read; he has no way to recover, making him die easily at 50% when everyone else survives triple that much).

I already hate how matchups between non-Mac characters turn into pingpong at 150% on a regular basis, the fact that the ONE newcomer I give a damn about falls victim to the opposite problem is just too much.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Man, after playing the demo I'm super unhyped to actually play as Little Mac. Every other character in Smash 4 feels like they regularly survive up to 150% damage thanks to their recoveries, and Little Mac has a "great groundgame" (read; he's only good on the ground) with a "terrible airgame" (read; he has no way to recover, making him die easily at 50% when everyone else survives triple that much).

I already hate how matchups between non-Mac characters turn into pingpong at 150% on a regular basis, the fact that the ONE newcomer I give a damn about falls victim to the opposite problem is just too much.
In which case it's up to you to play patient, space your moves as best you can and keep as much control of centre stage as possible. If Mac has stage control he has the potential to destroy everybody. If you see your opponent near the ledge either approach them with caution or don't go near them at all. And most importantly...

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Planning on maining this character once it releases. Loving what I am seeing so far from people playing him, and I can see so much more to be developed. Really hoping to be on the forefront of the little mac metagame.

solitonmedic

Potassium, potassium
NNID
Dantel
Me and my friend are going to have a Little Mac duel.

Since I have experience as LM from SmashFest, I'm gonna win. c:

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
I've quickly found out that being a Mac main online is like how being a Snake main online was in Brawl lmao. People either don't want to play you or they try to ditto you. D:

Nat Goméz

Smash Apprentice
Haha well good luck Looocas :)

I've quickly found out that being a Mac main online is like how being a Snake main online was in Brawl lmao. People either don't want to play you or they try to ditto you. D:
Whaat, really? o.o Haha that's funny man, also unfair but... what can we do xD

One question though, we know that Little Mac's dtilt combo into itself (?) and it combo into KO puch, and we know from Venks that it no longer have time limit to use, so it's posible if anyone have 0% to just get close enough to do dtilt to rack up damage quick from 0 to 20% and then combo it into KO punch to have that free KO?

Don't know if you know but... is it possible?

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
It's not unfair lol. Gives me experience in the ditto and they generally aren't that great with Mac anyways, so free wins are nice too. BD Also if no one else tests that before I get a chance to then i'll let you know. :D

Nat Goméz

Smash Apprentice
Haha i understand, i was refering to when they just don't want to play you xD

Yeah, please! :D if we are able to do that then we'll have a way to handle and KO with the KO punch easily even when they are in 0%

Just... close enough, rack up damage, and then KO... it would be so awesome :)

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I've seen it more that they choose a character with strong throws.

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
Oh D: Then i'm just cursed I guess lmao. I had the same problem in Brawl with people trying to Snake ditto me. D: Also people camping the ledge really threw me off at first. I thought I had patience in Brawl, but playing Mac against people who are trying to cheese you just brought it to a whole new level for me lmao.

EDIT:How am I supposed to deal with Pacman? His grounded up-b only leaves me with the option to side-b, and if my side-b hits his trampoline near the edge it makes me instantly do it again and die.

Last edited:

ndayday

BRoomer
Oh D: Then i'm just cursed I guess lmao. I had the same problem in Brawl with people trying to Snake ditto me. D: Also people camping the ledge really threw me off at first. I thought I had patience in Brawl, but playing Mac against people who are trying to cheese you just brought it to a whole new level for me lmao.

EDIT:How am I supposed to deal with Pacman? His grounded up-b only leaves me with the option to side-b, and if my side-b hits his trampoline near the edge it makes me instantly do it again and die.
You mean he leaves the trampoline there to bounce you away? god how horrible :x
I haven't seen this yet but now I know to look out with it. The only Pac I've fought with Mac was pretty bad.

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
Yeah it was pretty awful. D: Found out the second side-b was just very sensitive input buffer stuff. >_<

EDIT:Has anyone else been messing around with Mac's machine gun jab? In Brawl Snake had this too and it was really helpful for making punishing rolls and spotdodging easier. Also i've found if people fall out you'll repeat the begining over and over until either they fall out or you get the flurry hit(much like something Ike had in Brawl). I've been getting a good deal of damage out of it.

EDIT2:Also does anyone feel Mac's dsmash might hit below the ledge? I've caught some people recovering and have hit them before they grab the ledge(it was their first time too, so they would've been invincible if they had grabbed it).

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh wow, that Pac-Man tactic (Pactic?) sounds pretty devious. I'll be sure to watch for that when I get the game.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Hi Little Mains!
I'm reading the tip section in the demo and this one applies to Little Mac.
I'm pretty sure this is known already, but I'll post it just in case it isn't.

According to this tip, Jolt Haymaker gives invincibility frames on the ground (you know that. The trailer showed Lil Mac dodging Mega Man's FSmash)
But the interesting part is that it doesn't give Invincibility Frames when used in the air. :4littlemac:

slimjim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FS-slimjim
3DS FC
4296-3887-2717
Also does anyone feel Mac's dsmash might hit below the ledge? I've caught some people recovering and have hit them before they grab the ledge(it was their first time too, so they would've been invincible if they had grabbed it).
It's confirmed to extend slightly below the lip of the stage, making it probably his most valuable ledge-guarding tool. This technique was used very successfully in the 16-entrant tournament that TourneyLocator held yesterday. A Little Mac made it to Grand Finals but lost to Denti's Sheik.

Last edited:

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
kk it felt that way, so I was wondering and yeah I saw that too lol. Right after I post about it I see a Mac using it that way.

Also does anyone else think that gimping unsuspecting players with Mac's fair is the most satisfying/funniest thing in this game?

slimjim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FS-slimjim
3DS FC
4296-3887-2717
Also does anyone else think that gimping unsuspecting players with Mac's fair is the most satisfying/funniest thing in this game?
I'll let you know when the US version releases. -_- /Disgrunt

However, I know with ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY that the most satisfying thing to me in this game will be going online in For Glory mode, bodying some casual's 1st-stock with a character he doesn't know how to fight against, and then timing him out while tech-skilling around the stage. I was that guy who would snake the entire track in Mario Kart DS online, then finish the last 15-20 seconds driving backwards shooting people that I had lapped with shells.

Last edited:

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
I find it funny to do it, but I think it might honestly be a legit option against characters with a bad recovery. A lot of people like to recover low and it just feels like that mixed with how bad airdodging is makes it somewhat legit. Only downside would be if they up-b early or you mess up, because Mac off stage lol.

looooooooooool Hearing you describe that makes me feel super lucky that I haven't ran into anyone trying to time me out yet.

ndayday

BRoomer
I'll let you know when the US version releases. -_- /Disgrunt

However, I know with ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY that the most satisfying thing to me in this game will be going online in For Glory mode, bodying some casual's 1st-stock with a character he doesn't know how to fight against, and then timing him out while tech-skilling around the stage. I was that guy who would snake the entire track in Mario Kart DS online, then finish the last 15-20 seconds driving backwards shooting people that I had lapped with shells.
that sounds extremely mean :(

last night against some...worse players I was taking the first stock without getting hit. My record so far is 7% throughout the entire match (no SDs, either!). Also something I found pretty funny was I KO'd a Kirby in 3 moves: ftilt, uncharged fsmash, and KO punch. I mean, KO punch IS KO punch but still...3 moves. that freaking move kills at like 40%.

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
I've taken the first stock with 0% a good deal of times before, but i'm bad at dealing with peoples fresh stock invincibility. Also I feel like i've killed some characters at 20% with the OHKO Punch lol.

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
I'm very torn between playing Shulk or Little Mac. Time will tell which becomes my main.

Last edited:

ndayday

BRoomer
You know, for being a character that is so easily gimped I'm not actually that afraid to play on the edge anymore. I mean, you have them cornered if you think about it, they can only go offstage or go behind you. They are handing the stage advantage straight to you. Offstage camping is incredibly gimped and with dsmash and dtilt Mac can pop players off the ledge/KO if they go for regrabs. I've KO'd so many people doing this it's unbelievable. Grabs are so predictable, the only way you'll get grabbed is if you rush up to them and get shielded. if you poke with dtilt and ftilt they can not get a grab on you.

add the bonus of having them sitting towards the edges of the stage with a character with amazing KO power and welp. Also projectile spam isn't even that big of a deal.

I love Mac, def focusing on him and Bowser Jr. the most.

Last edited:

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
Yeah the ledge definitely is my favorite place to have someone. If they jump I can up-b on reaction, if they roll it's a free ftilt, normal standup can easily be beaten with a machinegun jab during their invincibility frames, and get up attack is just shield and punish. Also the armor property on dsmash makes them jumping from the ledge with an attack soooooo risky. The more I play Mac the more I feel that if you have enough patience he might just have one of the best neutral games(if not the best) in the game. Also I have a somewhat janky setup for getting the OHKO Punch. It's not anything reliable, but it can work with some conditioning. If you do full hit of jab on shield a lot or jab into a tilt or something it's sometimes gets them scared when you jab their shield and if you catch onto it you can get a free OHKO Punch out of it since it beats shielding.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
So I was pretty annoyed at him being primarily ground focused (I get the idea, it makes sense for a boxer, even though I felt like it was extreme), but after seeing lots of footage he seems like a character that actually requires the very basic principles of boxing to actually use right. Instead of just being agressive and reckless, I get the impression that this is a character that you need to be tactical with. Proper spacing and a sharp mind are key. The stage is the ring, going off stage is a down that you can't afford.

Yeah I'm exaggerating (and not being specific) since a video game can't exactly capture the depth of boxing, but I can't help but get a really familiar feeling of being in the ring whenever I imagine using him. Of course I need the game to actually know for sure lol.

Last edited:

ndayday

BRoomer
I played a guy that went by the name "frank" today and he was really fun to play against. I lost a lot with Mac but they were mostly close matches. One match I threw because I did a fsmash tilted down on accident when he was in killing percentage :mad: I knew as soon as I did it it cost me the match, eghhh.

my dream is that someone googles "Ndayday" and finds me here and is like "hey I'm frank that really awesome ROB player"

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
What's the point of the downward angled fsmash lol? I probably wouldn't use it anyway even if I knew since I prefer the positional advantage of someone having to recover after it, but would still be nice to know it's not completely useless when I accidentally do it.

ndayday

BRoomer
What's the point of the downward angled fsmash lol? I probably wouldn't use it anyway even if I knew since I prefer the positional advantage of someone having to recover after it, but would still be nice to know it's not completely useless when I accidentally do it.
It's Little Mac's most damaging move (even more than KO punch I think?) uncharged is like 23% I think. to compensate it has terrible knockback.

ndayday

BRoomer
Yeah I just checked in training and it's 22% lol. It's definitely a good move, just not at 120% :c

ndayday

BRoomer
I had actually played him right before you (hopped on stream afterwards) and then recognized your name heh. From what I saw you were doing great, and I know ZeRo was annoyed he had to play Duck Hunt with Jiggs lol.

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
loooool Running into all the Macs. BD Also awesome. :D I was feeling like I let some things happen offstage that I shouldn't have, but I felt good about everything else. ^_^ Also I only caught the end of when I played him and hist chat went crazy lmao. Did you see some of those wiffed OHKO Punches that were right on top of him? T_T Never had it happen to me that many times so close together. D:

ndayday

BRoomer
I didn't see them all, I just saw you were playing for like maybe 2 matches with Mac and then ZeRo backed out and got you again lol, which is where the Jiggs vs. Duck Hunt happened. I stopped watching after that

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
Ah kk lol. Also the rematch thing was super funny lmao. I can't wait to see the hitbox stuff start showing up for this game though, because I really want to see why the KO Punch whiffs sometimes. D:

ndayday

BRoomer
I think KO punches hitbox in general is very close to Mac in front of him but actually extends up to his head and slightly behind it. I've definitely noticed it seems to whiff like what you're saying. like if you look at the animation there's a "cutting" effect and then like shard of glass effect and the hitbox is much more with the slashing than the cool looking shatter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom