• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Defend the Title - Little Mac Main Social Thread

Flindigo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1075-0735-7198
I really think Doc's advice could be a great opening. Like, with 1-on-1, he could say a specific thing about that character while they're entering a stage. And with more characters, he could say something about one of the characters at random. Though I COULD see it getting annoying. Which is why Doc shouldn't narrate the battles. Either my suggestion, codec style, or no Doc at all would be my preference.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
codec style narration on the lil mac arena would be awesome.

NNID
biscut0426
3DS FC
5129-3694-1023
I can't wait for Little Mac, just like the rest of this community. Definitely gonna try him out after I try Rosaluma, Villager and Rock.

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
Out of the newcomers, Little Mac gets the most hype from me. Looking forward to trying him out, though I'm disappointed that his air game is so pitiful. Me and aerials are like brothers.

Nevertheless, put me down as a Mac main. I'll use him at least as a secondary.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Out of the newcomers, Little Mac gets the most hype from me. Looking forward to trying him out, though I'm disappointed that his air game is so pitiful. Me and aerials are like brothers.

Nevertheless, put me down as a Mac main. I'll use him at least as a secondary.
Same here. Little Mac gets the most hype from me. Closely followed by Megaman.
Other than Punch Out (wii) being my favorite Nintendo game ever, I really really love the fact that Little Mac is probably the only character who relies on physical combat alone, NO super ability whatsoever, no flashy gimmick, just straightforward boxing. It makes it all much sweeter because in his games he faces characters who usually cheat in some way or form, so he's used to that sort of surprises.

Commander Claus

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4382-1975-7034
I'm pretty hype and lookin' to make Little Mac my top main. It's cool no matter where he is on the tier list just because I've been a punch out fanboy for so long.
Also hi I'm Claus.

Commander Claus

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4382-1975-7034
*gloved brofist*
Thanks for the welcome, friend. Hope to have active contribution here once things get warmed up.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Little Mac is definitely in my top three confirmed newcomers to try first. Not sure I want to main him yet, but chances are I will anyway. Would be nice to play a rushdown character for once.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
So...

Here's a question.

Why do you want to main Little Mac?

He your most wanted character?

You like his gameplay style?

Both?

Something else?

Go on! State your opinions! :p
Little Mac was definitely not my most wanted character, but he looks like he's going to be one of the most fun to play.

I like demonstrating my testicular girth, and Little Mac's punches look like the proper tools for communicating the fact.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Little Mac is my favorite newcomer so far. It's not just that he's a badass rush down fighter, because we already have Falcon for that. No, he's a badass rush down fighter with super armor. Normally I'll drop a character if I don't feel like I'm getting them, but Mac is someone I want to main no matter how much work I have to put in.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Why do you want to main Little Mac?
At this rate, I'm not sure whether or not I'll main him.
But he's up there. For a reason, it's mostly his playstyle.

He your most wanted character?
He was one, the other being Mega Man.

You like his gameplay style?
I'm a fan of combo-oriented characters. It's why I wanted him in the first place.

I guess, though the second part is the bigger reason.

Something else?
[/quote]
Because then we can finally have that pink hoodie in smash.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
For a character I'm so hyped about I'm also so mixed towards him.

Mainly his portrayal as a boxer here and what his moveset design seems to be. Still, love the guy, so I'll never stop using him.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I still can't get over the hype of Little Mac in this game. He's definitely my main alongside Megaman for this game.

The only move I'm not comfortable with, is his B neutral.
It feels REALLY clone-ish:
-Luigi's side+B
-Pikachu's side+B
-Ike's side+B

And once the gauge is full... well, I don't have much of a problem with THAT move. Although I would've preferred the Star Punch as it is his trademark move.

The Wireframe alt costume is a very nice touch, but I do hope I get the option to play as Super Punch Out Mac as well.

I hope we get to listen to more Punch Out! music this E3. Hope Boxing Ring is the place where they show off the game. :D

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Yeah the straight lunge is my biggest beef. I get the uppercut and the counter for a boxer, and while there's no such as thing as a Jolt Haymaker, it is a move that would benefit Mac. (And it looks cool, too boot!)

The Straight Lunge? I have no idea where they got that. Could have just gave him Steve's Hellfire from SFxTekken and it would have been better. (It's basically a straight punch that sends out a short ranged projectile.)

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I just got the title of World Champion on my Virtual Console of Mike Tyson's Mr. Dream's Punch-Out!, and I got thinking.. what would you all like to see as Little Mac's victory theme? I'd go for a version of this:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I think Little Mac's Jolt Haymaker could be used as a good air recovery move, granted if he can use special moves in the air properly.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
I think Little Mac's Jolt Haymaker could be used as a good air recovery move, granted if he can use special moves in the air properly.
We have seen it used in the air, we haven't seen if it can grab ledges (a la Falcon's side B).

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm getting REAL nervous about Sakurai's constant rubbing in about Little Mac's bad recovery.

I have a feeling that like Ike, you won't be able to use both the uppercut AND the jolt haymaker. :(

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So we're really close to knowing all of Little Mac's alternate colors. :D
Also, if he happens to have more than one Alt.Costume.

And well... getting close to knowing basically anything! What his air game is truly like. Wether or not the super-armor game is going to make up for it, etc.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Yeah I'm curious to see how he'll fare in the invitational. Information would be nice.

I feel like we really don't know much about this character. His portion in the direct was pretty much stuff we already knew about, minus the wire frame alt.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
http://youtu.be/1_5D8mmjX98?t=14m44s

It might have been something that people missed, but in the Direct, it showed that Haymaker can be used as a recovery, but staying true to the "awful aerial game", it looks like it gives abysmal horizontal distance.
Firstly, we didn't see it go the whole way (he got hit out of it). Secondly, being confirmed for air use doesn't mean it can be used for recovery. If he can't grab the ledge out of it, it probably won't be the most useful. How often do you see a Falcon use his side b to recover?

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
I get the feeling he will be able to grab the ledge out of it, whether it'll be a sweetspot or not, I don't know. He has to have some recovery game.

In any case, I'm gonna head out and get a copy of Punch-Out sometime soon, just so that I know the backstory of one of my pockets in this game.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Alright, so from what I got...

ATTACKS:
-1-2 Combo. It's really strong for a A combo. It's almost on Snake levels of strong. That part where he almost KO'd Fox at 100% with it.
-Uppercut out of A combo: Again, real strong. I almost mistook it for a Usmash.
-Usmash: Lots of KOs caused by this move. It even reaches the 2 lower platforms on Battlefield!
-Fsmash: Another really strong attack.

SPECIALS:
Neutral B: It's STRONG!
KO B: It's not a guaranteed KO, so there's no reason to ban it.
Tilt B: It's actually a better recovery from what I saw.
Up B: Pitiful recovery unless you're straight below the edge.
Down B: Pretty decent counter. Unlike Marth's, Mac's makes him take one big step forward.

To me, so far the possitives outweight the negatives.
Little Mac is FAST, and he's STRONG. Mac players will have to play the aggressive game and punish hard.
He's got the speed to back it up, and a bad to decent recovery. But his jump height wasn't all that bad, so I figure his tools for recovery are enough. He's a high risk character, and the only way I see him being low tier material is if this game's engine favors the camper.

I think Little Mac is going to be Rank A- material (Bottom of the High tiers) from what I've seen in action so far.

Last edited:

PF9

Smash Lord
I think Little Mac is a unique character. Being a boxer, he's no stranger to fighting games.

Whenever I play as him, I'll be playing these songs:
Eye of the Tiger - Survivor
No Easy Way Out - Robert Tepper
Hearts on Fire - John Cafferty
Gonna Fly Now - Bill Conti (I think)

Can anyone guess the connection between these songs?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I think Little Mac is a unique character. Being a boxer, he's no stranger to fighting games.

Whenever I play as him, I'll be playing these songs:
Eye of the Tiger - Survivor
No Easy Way Out - Robert Tepper
Hearts on Fire - John Cafferty
Gonna Fly Now - Bill Conti (I think)

Can anyone guess the connection between these songs?
Obviously Rocky movies. :D

I'd throw in some Hajime no Ippo, and of course, more Punch Out! music if my favorites don't make it in.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
I plan for Little Mac to be the first new character I try when I finally get the game. I really like the idea of a strong ground game and seeing him at the invitational got me even more hyped about him. He'll probably be my main unless he is just awful.

Wicked Sick

Smash Rookie
His KO smash is sooo satisfying to land! the time freeze and the zoom in makes it feel so good

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It really is. That moment in the Invitational where Mac became slayer of the Lumas was the coolest thing, too.

Also, @ Wicked Sick Wicked Sick , your Mac vs. Ippo avatar is the best.

NNID
Majorasmask66
i would like it if little mac had a bit more range in some of his attacks. just a bit. like if his foward smash went a bit further. also if his attack speeds were a little bit faster. thats based off what ive seen. problem is, i saw alot of people not really utilizing some of his stuff. like not alot of use of his neutral special which seems to have super armor while charging. and when i did see a guy using it, he took out multiple opponents. also no one took advantage of his built in forward smash transformation system.https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAADRUqFx7WO4Dg and considering the down tilt transformation, the body hook, doesnt knock eneimies away, he may mean it does a set amount of knock back making it easy to combo into. but thats not confirmed. what did catch my attention however was back in the smash direct, little mac punches mario from what may be a down tilt. what it did was very little knock back leading him right back into little mac. while its possible this attack was used at a low percent, this was probably not the case due to how fast he flew away from little macs K.O. punch which followed quickly after. and we've seen that sadly, its not a one hit kill and ive seen the distance it launched people at lower percentages. So this may be a great tool for comboing. so its probably way too early to discuss buffs considering how little time people have had with a brand new character and the fact that some of his arsenal wasn't being used. but still, i would like these changes.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
I hope little mac is not banned in tournaments because he is so gonna be my main

Top Bottom