• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Decisive Games Mafia: THE NINTENZONE SOCIAL INVASION! Day 4 ends at 3:00 PM EST 6/12/18

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
We talk. RVS is meant to get us out of the elementary phases of the game where we have nothing to talk about with some sort of slip or "off" interaction. We usually springboard from there into more in-depth analysis of the players' interactions, and after that we decide on who to lynch D1. We then go back and re-read the first day to sniff out interactions that person may have had based on our newfound information (and further/retract gut reads we had D1) and continue with the game. It sounds like we're used to a more chatty, cards-to-our-chests D1 and you guys are used to a more hectic D1. Pokechu and Opposum got us out of RVS and we're trying to expand upon that. And generally, Godfather is a role that tends to be looked down upon when building games (at least on old DGames).
So you mostly go on who feels... off?

That is awfully subjective don´t ya think? Especially when you barely know most of the playerbase?

And why is Godfather looked down on? It is not hard to play against.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
May I ask why? I've got to admit it got pretty silly when we started to hunt down the ones that came out clean from Cop results after all non-Godfather Mafiosos had been taken care of
It's just the fact that it tends to make Cops underpowered in a closed setup. Even if a townie cop is ML'd, the information they gave isn't necessarily true (which is detrimental in small games, and we don't have enough people for big games anymore).
So you mostly go on who feels... off?

That is awfully subjective don´t ya think? Especially when you barely know most of the playerbase?
Which is why our community's play is so meta-based. We're small, but know each-other so well that we can feel each-other out. A lot of stuff is gut reads and pressuring until someone slips or cracks, then using logic to assemble likely scenarios late-game.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Wait, WHAT?!
So communication is ONLY through the Day?!
Eeyup.

Which is why our community's play is so meta-based. We're small, but know each-other so well that we can feel each-other out. A lot of stuff is gut reads and pressuring until someone slips or cracks, then using logic to assemble likely scenarios late-game.
Seems like this is probably gonna change now that there's a bunch of new faces, huh.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's just the fact that it tends to make Cops underpowered in a closed setup. Even if a townie cop is ML'd, the information they gave isn't necessarily true (which is detrimental in small games, and we don't have enough people for big games anymore).

So you´re initial strategy is following your gut and... just waiting until someone makes a mistake?

Not a fan.

Games like this should be based on logic first because that is something even newcomers to a group can gather around. But I digress.

Carry on.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Seems like this is probably gonna change now that there's a bunch of new faces, huh.
So you´re initial strategy is following your gut and... just waiting until someone makes a mistake?

Not a fan.

Games like this should be based on logic first because that is something even newcomers to a group can gather around. But I digress.

Carry on.
Not saying this is how it's gonna stay, but I'm just playing the way I learned. Going to play a game of League now, will be back sooner or later lol.

D

Deleted member

But I thought you guys disliked Cop?
Godfather prevents Cop from just 100% confirming alignments, it's one way to prevent it from overcentralizing the game.
But I digress, this isn't the time to be doscussing game setups and roles

Maven89

Smash Master
We normally avoid cops. We prefer trackers. In short, if it's a role that makes it so you cannot try and talk your way out of its results, we're against it. That doesn't mean you can always talk your way out of it

Not a fan.

Carry on.
Normally we post random nonsense (called RVS) until something happens that we start jumping on, then we use those jumps as the basis of information to expand.

Like how in this game, we pushed on Pokechu for role fishing. He claimed the sample role PM, and backed down quickly. We push on from that. By itself it's not enough to actually lynch, but we can observe how players responded. if Pokechu is scum, then the guy who defended him (forgot who that was) for (bad) reasons is heavily suspicious. Those who pushed Pokechu are probably town. if Pokechu is town, we look back at the arguments on him. Were they logical? Did the players act in a way consistent with their stated beliefs? Who jumped on the bandwagon without giving reasons? Did anyone contadict themselves by jumping on the bandwagon? (aka player A says Player B is scum, player B votes player C, player A follows and also votes player C while still claiming he thinks player B is scum. Why would player A follow the same vote as a person he claims he believes is scum?)

It's not "gut" feeling, it's based on what players say

Maven89

Smash Master
No it absolutely does not, that rule states that you cannot talk about the game with people in the game unless your role states you can.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
No it absolutely does not, that rule states that you cannot talk about the game with people in the game unless your role states you can.
Stoopid is right, town can't converse in PMs during the night.
From the first thread:
THE RULES FOR THE GAME HAVE BEEN EDITED INTO THE OP. PLEASE READ THE RULES AND ASK ANY QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE

You are only permitted to communicate at Night if you are given permission in your Role PM. Town is assumed not to and Mafia absolutely does amongst eachother. So if you’re town you can’t PM at Night. If you’re mafia you can. Make sense?

D

Deleted member

If Chu is Mafia, look into:
-Holder of the Heel
-Swampasaur

If Chu is Town, look into:
-Spak
-Maven

Maven89

Smash Master
Wait, are you saying you are normally are allowed to PM each other? That's the norm in your games, that the town can PM one another?

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Wait, are you saying you are normally are allowed to PM each other? That's the norm in your games, that the town can PM one another?
Yeah, that's the norm in our games. In our games the town can PM whoever they want during the night. Usually there's a limit on groupchats though I think, it's the player, the hosts, and like two other people? maybe three

Maven89

Smash Master
well then ##unvote

I've never played where that was allowed except through certain roles like neighbor or mason, so I could only assume Stoopid was talking about mafia communications

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
That doesn't prove I'm wrong, just that there are some exceptions to the rule.

The rule about not talking to players about the game outside of this thread is a real thing for anyone who isn't such an exception, such as myself.

PMs are things that are outside of this thread, so yes, we're not allowed to PM people about the game at night.

You're literally arguing against me over something that I'm absolutely right about, and your arguments do nothing to prove me wrong.

Yeah, that's the norm in our games. In our games the town can PM whoever they want during the night. Usually there's a limit on groupchats though I think, it's the player, the hosts, and like two other people? maybe three
Depends on the game, but usually, it's only two players and the host(s).

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
We were definitely explicitly told no night PMs in the sign-up thread.

Maven89

Smash Master
There's a miscommunication, I've never played where players were allowed to PM others at will unless it was their role power. That rule, which is in most of our mafia games, is just restating that. Mafia, normally the only players that are allowed to PM, are absolutely allowed to PM their partners during the night phase. So when he said "no PMs during the night phase", I obviously assumed he was talking about mafia powers that are not included in the rules.

And just so we're clear, you guys do realize that, unless your role PM says you can, you're not allowed to PM people during the day either, correct?

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
You know what...**** this. Maven's already giving me the FoS and I think he's mafia

##UnvoteChu

##VoteMaven

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
There's a miscommunication, I've never played where players were allowed to PM others at will unless it was their role power. That rule, which is in most of our mafia games, is just restating that. Mafia, normally the only players that are allowed to PM, are absolutely allowed to PM their partners during the night phase. So when he said "no PMs during the night phase", I obviously assumed he was talking about mafia powers that are not included in the rules.

And just so we're clear, you guys do realize that, unless your role PM says you can, you're not allowed to PM people during the day either, correct?
I do.

Playing IRL games of werewolf has gotten me used to being quiet on night phases, so it's not a dealbreaker for me despite being using to night talks in the NZ games.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Yes, that one we should all be clear on.

Our games have allowed night PMs because they're role madness and it allows the town to start building circles of trust.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Expand on this please
Pretty sure if you're not gonna start discussion about what your character is or even a hint, you're gonna get targeted until you cough it up. So time to add the pressure on you

That's a bold thing to say about someone you don't know anything about during the first day of the first game you play with them.
Hey, mafia is worth a risk playing right? Wait until someone starts the flavor shuffles towards the end of the 36 hours

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I do have to agree with Maven on this one.

The theme is specifically DGames. Unless you're a veteran of this forum, a character and role claim really don't prove anything to you.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Can confirm that this is the way that it's usually done. Starting to get this sneaking feeling that D1 is gonna be a lot of culture shock lol.

Top Bottom