• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Death?

Shotogon

Smash Cadet
Not too make it too creepy or sounding like I'm death obsessed, but has anyone ever thought about what happens when you "kick the bucket"? I mean, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has thought about this. Yet when I do I just feel a sudden blackness in my mind, like you usually have an answer to everything, but this. U know why the world spins, you know how to drive, but you don't know what happens when you die. Personally I'm scared, but what do you think happens? Is it complete darkness or a dreamland or a rebirth? Your opinion.

Pit 42

Smash Lord
I've been thinking something like rebirth, and if not that, then I hope there's a Heaven. I've got to have some place to watch Ace Ventura in peace.

Stryks

Smash Hero
I too tough of reincarnation for some time, but if it does exist then why cant I think of my past lifes (sounds stupid i know) so i believe there is a heaven, hopin so, so I can c all my relatives I lost last year...

Pit 42

Smash Lord
I too tough of reincarnation for some time, but if it does exist then why cant I think of my past lifes (sounds stupid i know) so i believe there is a heaven, hopin so, so I can c all my relatives I lost last year...
If reincarnation does exist, most people believe that you wouldn't remember your past lives.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
That's what really confuses me about reincarnation. If you dont remember your past life, how can it really be you? Let's say the current you dies, and you are "reincarnated" in the future. If you cant remember your past life then it isn't you, rather, it's just a mere copy. The real, current you has dissapeared completely. :/

I believe in a heaven.

Edit: I wasn't bashing anyone's beliefs.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Yeah I know, If u DO reincanate, then why cant u remember ur past lifes, if its u, what will happen to all the memories, all those moments I have now, will they just get erased or what? man its confusing...

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I dunno, I hope life just resets when you die lol. I don't mind if you can't remember stuff so you can't say 'well this got me killed so I won't do it' I kinda liked this life, I wanna live it again. Being a teen is fun lol.

Shotogon

Smash Cadet
Yea. The only thing we are really sure of about death is that it'll happen. People on talk shows and other things that have had a near death experience always say "I was close to heaven. I was walking in a field of flowers and smelled the sweetest sent ever" or something like that. What I think is that they are dreaming, or dreaming with a high cause of the drugs.

Stryks

Smash Hero
I usually hear people, who have near death experience, that theyve seen the infamouse light at the end of the tunnel , dont know if its real, but I guess we'll all find out sooner or laer...

Pit 42

Smash Lord
I've heard that, too. I sure hope it's true. I just gotta see my relatives again.

And as for reincarnation, it is you, it's just you don't remember anything. Think of it this way: you could be living your second life right now.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I guess we'll just have to wait to find out.

I don't worry about it at all. It'll come when it comes.

Sporkman

Smash Ace
Life is like an electronic appliance. You take away its power source and it's 'dead'. No other connections staying on all the time, just a husk of what once was.

Heaven is just a pipe dream to keep people happy and hopeful. Where did all the realists go? Death, to me, results in non-existence of your mind. It doesn't go somewhere and mingle with previous people to have bit the bullet, if it did, how would one's appearance be defined? their peak and prime? how you remember them? it's a ludicrous concept from where I sit. You cease to exist once you die, no memories, nothing, not anything. It's hard to right down so I hope you understand what I mean.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Sporkman said:
Heaven is just a pipe dream to keep people happy and hopeful. Where did all the realists go? Death, to me, results in non-existence of your mind. It doesn't go somewhere and mingle with previous people to have bit the bullet, if it did, how would one's appearance be defined? their peak and prime? how you remember them? it's a ludicrous concept from where I sit. You cease to exist once you die, no memories, nothing, not anything. It's hard to right down so I hope you understand what I mean.
I understand that you have no problem with stepping on people's beliefs and apparently enjoy instigating religious debates. Believe what you want but don't list it as fact. I don't do it with religion so you shouldn't do it with atheism.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
I am by no means an expert in this field, but I do have some pseudo experience:

I have always had very vivid and very graphic dreams that I could feel (although not completely like real life, but I could feel none the less) and I have died many, many times. And every time I am fooled and think my dream is reality and I realize I am going to die, everything becomes very calm (even though it hurts) and I find myself staring off into space waiting for what happens next, which never comes before I wake but the prospect fills me with bliss. Because I have dreams like this so often, I'm not really scared of the prospect of dying, as weird as that conclusion may be.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Same as Virgilijus, everything around me seemed to be very cool,relaxed, and just loose. Almost like that feeling you get when doctors knock you out with that gas they put around your mouth if you're about to get surgery or something. Except you know you're not getting back up, at least not in this world.

Then again, I guess it can vary depending on how you die. For instance I've dreamt that I was falling off from somewhere very high and then BANG! Dead. Or I might just be confusing that with waking up from falling off the bed.

Justin

Smash Apprentice
All I can say about reincarnation is, it would suck hard to be reincarnated as an ant or some lame **** like that. Or a goat...

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I agree with Sporkman, when we die we [ourselves] probably cease to exist, people remember us only because we existed while they existed. If no one remembers us then I guess that is the end of existance too. I don't know it's complicated.

Lol valtiel, that's the same thing I said eariler, I hope death is like that.

bijoukaiba

Smash Journeyman
It's hard to explain... sometimes I've had daydreams gone bad (day-mares, perhaps?), where there'd be a gun in my living room and just for effects I'd point the gun at my chest and pull the trigger... I shudder just thinking about it...

When that would happen in the "day-mare", there was only pure darkness. Think sort of like an infinite coma. When you fall fast asleep at night and fall unconscious to the envelope of your shut eyes, that even darkness is too dark to be perceived... multiply that infinitely and that's how I pictured death.

It's hard to say what I believe in for the afterlife... sometimes I side with heaven, sometimes I side with reincarnation. I think maybe there should be a choice- you can stay in heaven for however long and then be reincarnated as long as you like. I mean, even with pure happiness and everything in the Great Beyond, wouldn't you sometimes want to go back to the physical world to reexperience (sp?) the adventures of physical life?

I gotta go hug my cat now... that daydream was seriously creepy enough to give me a traumatizing memory of it...

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
how would one's appearance be defined? their peak and prime? how you remember them? it's a ludicrous concept from where I sit... It's hard to right down so I hope you understand what I mean.
An afterlife is rediculous because you cant picture how it will look like?

I'm sure people ten thousand years ago would think the earth being suspending on nothing to be an unbelievable idea as well.
And as for reincarnation, it is you, it's just you don't remember anything.
I kinda see what you're getting at, but I'd have to dissagree. Say I hit my head and had amnesia. I cant remember anything, in fact, I dont even have the same personality I did before. From a third person perspective, I wouldn't consider the amnesia me to be the real me. He'd just be someone who looked like me.

psicicle

Smash Ace
I think that basically, you cease to exist and nothing happens. All of this reincarnation or haven type stuff seems irrational to me (not that it's a bad thing) because I think that our perceptions come from the chemical reactions in our bodies. At death, these reactions stop so our perception should stop. This view is most likely correct; it is based on what we know. Heaven, reincarnation, anything that involves the perpetuation of some sort of "soul" is made up with no basis on facts. I'd imagine that the closest you can get to imagining death is trying to think what it was like during dreamless sleep.

Blackshadow

Smash Ace
Adelaide, Australia. Along with my Mad Duck.
I have always thought of this: Stay alive long enough to be able to witness a reviving machine (it revives!) people from the dead to be created, then watch the thing revive someone, then ask them if they went to heaven or yada yada. That would either bring a lot of joy or a lot of fear on the thought of dying. But then, if I were to die I could be revived anyway! :):):):):):):)

Yeah, good luck for me surviving that long for the machine to be created anyway :(

Shotogon

Smash Cadet
Well I know that almost everyone dreams in their sleep. So I have to wonder if death will be like a big dream. Like if we're actually dreaming right now. Or if death will be like a dream where we can do virtually anything. Jump off a building and live. Talk to our friends that we actually knew. Or will it just be the longest pitch black sleep ever.

I'm sure scientists are working on machines and things like that, and not to bring religion in this or anything, but we can't really play god. I mean, we've had amazing things happen in our lifetime so the possibility of a reviving machine, or something to that effect could happen, but I think it not be too likely. "Man" has had many great inventions and some are life-saving, so why not a life-regenerating machine? Anyways, there is a possibility that this machine can exist, hopefully it will and with the right technology, but until then I need to enjoy the time I have.

Yea... I was actually arguing with myself. Its not that uncommon with me.

Pustulio

Smash Ace
Probably out eating some dirt or something.
Once you die you will either be in a spirit paradise or prison, in the spirit prison you will be tought by people from teh paradise and hopefully get there, once the 2nd coming of Christ happens you will be resurrected in order of your current glory, Celestial 1st, Terrestrial 2nd and Telestial 3rd. The sons of perdition are not ressurected for they go to Outer Darkness. There will be a 1,000 year period in which Satan is bound and then a 1,000 year period where he is not bound, soon after is the final judgement where it will be determined whether you go to the Celestial Kingdom, Terrestrial Kingdom or the Telestial Kingdom. In the Celestial kingdom there are 3 glories and the top one you need to have a babtism by emmersion for the remission of sins and a temple marraige ini which you are eternally sealed to your spouse, if you acheive that highest glory you become a god and can have an increase while creating worlds. Yes I'm LDS (Mormon).

Pit 42

Smash Lord
Heaven seems a very abstract concept to me. I mean, I've heard theories that if you're good but not as good as you could've been, you'll live in a lesser 'house' than someone who acted better than you on Earth. But if 'God' really loves you, why would he do that to you? I try to discuss these things, and everyone tells me that Heaven is not like Earth and you won't have any of your material possessions there. Wouldn't it get kind of boring up there? And what would 'God' do with all the useless souls up there? My only answer for that would be to reincarnate them. I know it sounds strange but...I'm not exactly the most normal person around...

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I don't believe in life after death... sure it's a nice idea, but it just can't be true.:ohwell:

Virgilijus

BRoomer
It can be true; everything that a man can imagine is a possibility in reality. However, you believe it not to be true, which is a completely different thing altogether.

Volt Tackle

Smash Cadet
My belief is that when you die, it's the end. Finito. I am a very rational person, so ideas like reincarnation and rebirth seem very silly to me. If there are no facts or evidence behind something, then I don't believe it.

"If I thought I had to live a whole other life after I died, I'd kill myself right now."

Pit 42

Smash Lord
My belief is that when you die, it's the end. Finito. I am a very rational person, so ideas like reincarnation and rebirth seem very silly to me. If there are no facts or evidence behind something, then I don't believe it.

"If I thought I had to live a whole other life after I died, I'd kill myself right now."
Well, I can understand your rationality, but also, believing in an end result encourages you to make the best of your life, regardless. So when you are on your death bed, you can say, "Well, that was a very good life." The idea of an end result after you die has inspired billions of people to live their lives succesfully.

Virgilijus

BRoomer
If there are no facts or evidence behind something, then I don't believe it.
But likewise, there are no facts towards a complete non-existence after death. Their are personal experiences of people who physically died and experienced something in between that temporary death and waking just as there are those that experienced nothing. The trick is that we can never truly understand what is on the other side of a wall that we can only cross once; existence or nonexistence are the only two possibilities with only beliefs (not facts) to back them.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Religion isn't just about an afterlife, it gives us a purpose. If you become famous in life and your aetheist then what's the point? When you die, did your life truly matter? Do any of our lives truly matter? If you don't matter then why bother going on and living? Why not just kill yourself right now?

You can't enjoy fame if you believe that death is the end. If it helps people, who cares? You'll be dead so you wouldn't know and besides you would just be helping other pointless existences. With religion, everyone has a purpose, a reason for existing. We're here because we matter. Even if we are wrong, we can't lost either way.

If we're wrong we just die and that's it but if we're right, guess who is going to heaven?

Shotogon

Smash Cadet
Yet about the fame and developing technology and making peoples lives easier, it does help the ones that continue to be born into this world. You might enjoy the fame by using all of the perks life gives you if your rich and famous, or you can be happy with an average life. I'm sure I'm not going to be any rich person. Dreams are nice, but they don't always come true. Yet if I do open a restaurant, like I want to, and do begin to get nice money, I'll enjoy myself. So I guess life is what you make it.

Pustulio

Smash Ace
Heaven seems a very abstract concept to me. I mean, I've heard theories that if you're good but not as good as you could've been, you'll live in a lesser 'house' than someone who acted better than you on Earth. But if 'God' really loves you, why would he do that to you? I try to discuss these things, and everyone tells me that Heaven is not like Earth and you won't have any of your material possessions there. Wouldn't it get kind of boring up there? And what would 'God' do with all the useless souls up there? My only answer for that would be to reincarnate them. I know it sounds strange but...I'm not exactly the most normal person around...
Well Mormons like me actually do believe we have the lesser houses and such and that being because it is simply a spiritual law of our rewards. You ask that if God loves why would he put us in a lesser place but, think about it, he gave you the chance to be forgiven through the atonement of Christ and gave you eternal life and free agency to do what you wish on Earth. You will have material possesions in the spirit world but, not neccesarily the same as here.

Sporkman

Smash Ace
It can be true; everything that a man can imagine is a possibility in reality. However, you believe it not to be true, which is a completely different thing altogether.
Somethings are impossible in reality but possible in imagination, time travel for example. Paradoxes can also be imagined but not happen in reality.

I can imagine water catching fire, but it is impossible in reality.

I can imagine an afterlife, but it is surely impossible. If everyone was reincarnated that would require that every living thing was reincarnated, same goes for afterlifes. Can you imagine the amount of insects? although, given the idea, I presume available space is infinite. Reincarnation is slightly flawed by population size, if the entire populace of everything alive exceeded that of previous amounts then surely that would require the creation of new 'souls'. And when the amount decreases, perhaps through an apocalyptic event, do souls then have to form a que? Reincarnation requires the amount of life in the world to be kept at a constant, which, unfortunately, would be almost impossible to calculate. But given rise of man and his urban machineries, destroying vast forests and such, im assuming that we are a long way below life amounts back when great britain was a sylvan island.

Uncle Kenny said:
I understand that you have no problem with stepping on people's beliefs and apparently enjoy instigating religious debates. Believe what you want but don't list it as fact. I don't do it with religion so you shouldn't do it with atheism.
You aren't wrong I must admit, although I don't enjoy instigating religious debates. Besides this was bound to incorporate religious elements of discussion due to the fact that afterlife belief is religious. Isn't reincarnation a buddhist theory or something? I am a little forward in my writing, but that's just my style. I only present it as fact as there are numerous amounts of flaws with the theories that I haven't heard any plausible answers to, but you do have a point, suppose I'll just have to wait untill I pass away myself. Also Kenny, stop editing your posts to "Ignore this" etc, it only intrigues me!

commonyoshi said:
An afterlife is rediculous because you cant picture how it will look like?

I'm sure people ten thousand years ago would think the earth being suspending on nothing to be an unbelievable idea as well.
It's ridiculous because the fundamentals are fallible without plausible explanations. Also I thought people didn't assume the earth was suspended, but the centre of the universe. Earth was the central point and everything revolved around it. However, that may have been a christian belief and christ wasn't born for another seven thousand nine hundred and ninety-three years.

Uncle Kenny said:
Religion isn't just about an afterlife, it gives us a purpose. If you become famous in life and your aetheist then what's the point? When you die, did your life truly matter? Do any of our lives truly matter? If you don't matter then why bother going on and living? Why not just kill yourself right now?

You can't enjoy fame if you believe that death is the end. If it helps people, who cares? You'll be dead so you wouldn't know and besides you would just be helping other pointless existences. With religion, everyone has a purpose, a reason for existing. We're here because we matter. Even if we are wrong, we can't lost either way.

If we're wrong we just die and that's it but if we're right, guess who is going to heaven?
My point would be how great your life is, rather than was. Perhaps immortalisation through a text or something, it won't mean anything to me once I'm dead, but that doesn't mean I don't know life will continue for everyone else after me, and people can read about me etc.

As for suicide, it is something that has gone through my mind, but the thing that holds you back is that even though what happens after you won't know about (as the mind has ceased) there is enough compassion for those still living who would mourn the death and be put through a rather unpleasent experience that you wouldn't wish upon someone.

Enjoying fame is simply about the now and not what comes after. Everyone has a reason for existing, my theory is we are all stepping stones in evolution towards the unreachable goal of perfection.

But if you are religious and you are wrong, then your beliefs were pointless and your life capped by religous restrictions. Think about muslims, the amount of time wasted each day praying, if there is no God(s), what they do is pointless, the western god seems pretty content with the occasional prayer.

Pustulio

Smash Ace
I can imagine an afterlife, but it is surely impossible. If everyone was reincarnated that would require that every living thing was reincarnated, same goes for afterlifes. Can you imagine the amount of insects? although, given the idea, I presume available space is infinite. Reincarnation is slightly flawed by population size, if the entire populace of everything alive exceeded that of previous amounts then surely that would require the creation of new 'souls'. And when the amount decreases, perhaps through an apocalyptic event, do souls then have to form a que? Reincarnation requires the amount of life in the world to be kept at a constant, which, unfortunately, would be almost impossible to calculate. But given rise of man and his urban machineries, destroying vast forests and such, im assuming that we are a long way below life amounts back when great britain was a sylvan island.
You have to realize that although the theory of reincarnation has it's flaws, an afterlife is absoloutely different than that.

I believe we all have and eternal life and we will be punished if we deny God and the Savior and the Holy Ghost. Think about it it really isn't an after life it is a continuation of the life you have now the way I see it, Earth life is a test that will change our future.

"As man is God once was and as God is man may become"

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Somethings are impossible in reality but possible in imagination.

I can imagine water catching fire, but it is impossible in reality.
There are a lot of "impossibles" that have been prooven wrong. Here's a light example which I'm not even sure applies:ohwell: : "You can not stand an egg straight up without propping it against something." Well, this may have been considered impossible until someone decided to crack the base of the egg.
It's ridiculous because the fundamentals are fallible without plausible explanations.
I have no idea what this sentence means. :(

Top Bottom