• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Death by Scratchboard

squirrelhunter17

Smash Journeyman
Cool, you go to conceptart as well?

I'm liking what I see, there aren't a whole lot of us traditional artists here on smashboards, it's mostly sigmakers.
Sigs are too easy, I dont like this whole sig-making rampage.

Most of the sigs are just bits and peices of images that are randomly thrown together, I'd hardly call it an art. (not to say there arent exceptions)

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
I like the lighting and colouring on the skinsuit one, but the white bits you left in the background really distract from the focus of the image. Also, I think there are a few proportional issues, the head is a bit big, and she seems kinda top heavy.

Don't forget to add some comments on other peoples art topics too. If nobody does this, nobody gets any comments in their own threads, and the Artwork Emporium stays dead. If you want the AE to become a more lively, art-filled room (I know I do), we need everybody to participate more.

And make sure you check out the upcoming contest!

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
Not interested in your still life or any of the human sketches, but your concept arts are definetly more interesting.

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
No. Ill do whatever I feel like doing, not what you think I should.
lol, I mean technically like that drawing, because you have trouble coloring. The only one that actually "wowed" me is the first sketch and the raven acrylic.

You can make any **** you want, it's just not as impressive if you base a drawing off of a already existing fictional characters; it just make you look like a fanboy instead of an artist.

squirrelhunter17

Smash Journeyman
lol, I mean technically like that drawing, because you have trouble coloring. The only one that actually "wowed" me is the first sketch and the raven acrylic.

You can make any **** you want, it's just not as impressive if you base a drawing off of a already existing fictional characters; it just make you look like a fanboy instead of an artist.
No, I dont have trouble coloring, thats one of the areas in which im good is color. Fanart is fun.

So again, Ill do what I please.

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master

If you're weak in one area, wouldn't it make more sense to practise more in that area until you are good, rather than just giving up?

And there's nothing wrong with fan art. It's simply an excuse to draw something.

Those are your anatomy studies, squirrelhunter? They're pretty darned good. Now start translating that level of detail and structure into your other work.

squirrelhunter17

Smash Journeyman
If you're weak in one area, wouldn't it make more sense to practise more in that area until you are good, rather than just giving up?

And there's nothing wrong with fan art. It's simply an excuse to draw something.

Those are your anatomy studies, squirrelhunter? They're pretty darned good. Now start translating that level of detail and structure into your other work.
I copied them from a book, but theyll certainly help me when I get to start drawing from live models again.

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
When did I say to give up?

Sketch skill is completely fine, Squirrelhunter is amazing at outlining (body sketches are bit unproportional but its mostly fine). But when I see some of the works lined together, the only piece that looks complete is the raven acrylic. The rest feels incomplete because the background is either plain white or filled with some random color scheme that doesn't do the drawing justice (the only one that has an actual detailed background is the garlic, watermelon, pepper piece, but then there isn't much in the background in the first place).

If you can take criticism, you should know that the reason I post this is only here to help you.

What I'm saying is work on the lighting in most of the work (which coloring plays a major role in), and to add form of a background to actually make your piece look "complete," because I don't see that for most of them. Biggest example is the pencil sharpner piece where the desk/floor is a plain messy green that doesn't match the rest of the piece. Same for most of the fanwork pieces.

Zodiak-Lucien

Smash Lord
.kro you really need to work on how you come off in terms of critquing. I know you mean well but all your critiquing comes off as really arrogant and almost douchebagish at times. You spend way to much time talking about whats wrong, and too little time on how to fix them. If they are even problems. Also you almost never talk about what you like.

squirrelhunter17

Smash Journeyman
If youre having an issue with how little I finish, here's some finished stuff...

Most of it is from before school started last semester.

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
I'll take Zodiak's advice, I didn't mean to sound douchebaggish, but Saberhof, shut up. There is no such thing as pro artwork. Get over that ****ty labeling.

I just wish there was more than a background than a plain white fill or a 2-dimensional color fill.
Rest is great.

squirrelhunter17

Smash Journeyman
New original. A floating demon, resting on nothing but thin air.

Started in photoshop, finished in painter 9, about 4 hours of work. (not counting the sketch phase.)

squirrelhunter17

Smash Journeyman

Born with the incredible ability to slow time around herself, she was soon feared and few dared to cross her. In time, she found herself to be quite ambitious and quickly rose among the ranks of her kings army.

Intelligent and agile, she is now her king's right hand. Law enforcer in times of peace and master general in times of war.
She wishes to rule the country, but there are reasons why the king is still in power...

DRD

Smash Lord
Okay, Squirrel, you seem to have a fair bit of talent but please try not to come off so defensive. So what if .kRO doesn't sugarcoat his replies? If you want to get better that the last thing you want. I thought you'd know that, posting at a great place like cA.

squirrelhunter17

Smash Journeyman
Okay, Squirrel, you seem to have a fair bit of talent but please try not to come off so defensive. So what if .kRO doesn't sugarcoat his replies? If you want to get better that the last thing you want. I thought you'd know that, posting at a great place like cA.
There is a huge difference between *******ry and helpfulness. I dont mind it when someone really tears into my artwork as long as they can help. Telling me that most of my stuff sucks and that I should stick to one thing is nowhere near helpful.

DRD

Smash Lord
The truth is that looking through this thread, .kRO is the only one who said anything helpful. The majority of it is 'Wow, great work' or 'Love this, crazy good'. This isn't helpful in the least, really...And about 'tearing into your artwork', would you really call what .kRO said as that? Personally I didn't see anything too offensive; To be quite frank, I think you were the one being a bit offensive when you replied to his second comment, and some others. *shrugs*

squirrelhunter17

Smash Journeyman
The truth is that looking through this thread, .kRO is the only one who said anything helpful. The majority of it is 'Wow, great work' or 'Love this, crazy good'. This isn't helpful in the least, really...And about 'tearing into your artwork', would you really call what .kRO said as that? Personally I didn't see anything too offensive; To be quite frank, I think you were the one being a bit offensive when you replied to his second comment, and some others. *shrugs*
He flat out told me that I should stop doing fanart and still lifes. That is not helpful in the least. This also is not the first thread Ive made of my art, I like all of the comments I receive except for those that are along the lines of "you suck, stop." That is a level of douchebaggery only found in the depths of 4chan. So when someone leaves me a comment like that, I tend not to respond kindly. Off the top of my head, I can think of two people on this site that know how to leave a good critique, and they are FDV and myself (the few that I leave).

KRO certainly does not make that list. So, make sense of the issue or kindly shut the hell up.

DRD

Smash Lord
Why so bitter? The Shut the hell up comment wasn't really needed, was it? You want to be careful, it makes a bad image. =/

And he didn't flat-out tell you to stop doing other things; Maybe that's what he said directly but the true meaning was implied, and I think he explained that already, didn't he?

Anyways, I'd really skip all of the fanart stuff for now, because anatomical studies and life studies will help you more in the long run if you're working hard to get better, really.

mkmelee

Smash Lord
I like a lot of your recent art... The lighting and postures aren't bad, but honestly I think the most work is needed in the faces. Many of your works have this simplistic anime style and I think improvement is needed there. Drawing bodies and stuffs is just practice and one can even easily get away with referencing the bodies. Faces on the other hand require a lot of creativity and experimentation along with practice, and when it comes to drawing characters, faces are probably the most distinctive factor in an artist's style.

Top Bottom