• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dear Gaming Industry...

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Link to original post: [drupal=2013]Dear Gaming Industry...[/drupal]

...why do you hate Europe so much?

Today I've found out that BlazBlue will not be released in Europe, and that the American 360-version will be region-locked. Leaving only one possibility: Importing the American PS3 version.

That sucks, because for only BlazBlue (and granted, SF4), I don't want to get a PS3. I did consider getting a 360, but I really really really don't want a PS3. =/

It just adds to the games Europe is missing out on. Tons of awesome games haven't been released here. And not to mention the huge delays for localization. I mean, we waited over a half year for Brawl's European release after it was released in Japan! Just to name one example.

Why is Europe being so extremely neglected by the Japanese gaming industry? Why?!
The only thing we got was Mario Kart Wii being released ridiculous 2 weeks before the American release - and only to make up for Brawl's delay. And exlusively Tingle's Rosee Rupyland, which, honestly, I think I wouldn't really miss if we didn't get it. Oh, and Terranigma. That was good. But it doesn't make up for the masses of games we didn't get. =/

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
They already did for so long... EarthBound never saw a European release. Neither did Chrono Trigger. Or Final Fantasy before VII. Or many many other games.

It sometimes even makes me wonder why most gaming companies have European offices if they don't even release half of the games here. =/

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
They already did for so long... EarthBound never saw a European release. Neither did Chrono Trigger. Or Final Fantasy before VII. Or many many other games.

It sometimes even makes me wonder why most gaming companies have European offices if they don't even release half of the games here. =/
Localization seems like the only issue to me, really. I just don't know how lazy these game companies are.

And never saw Chrono Trigger? That's horrible.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Localization seems like the only issue to me, really. I just don't know how lazy these game companies are.

And never saw Chrono Trigger? That's horrible.
The DS remake was made in Europe, too. So that's that.

But I doubt localization is such a problem, especially for fighting games. Some things have been released in English only and had a French/German/whatever handbook. Noone complained, we at least HAD THE F***ING GAME. Noone cares about the language, give us the games you're withholding from us. :(

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I know. I felt the same. Hitler sums up the mood in Europe about this outrage quite nicely:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0AZAGBaLSo

Browny

Smash Hater
Hmmmm. Is there major piracy issues in Europe? I was watching a games show on TV yesterday where they talked about mass piracy in Russia, and that exporting games there was far too big a financial risk.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Hmmmm. Is there major piracy issues in Europe? I was watching a games show on TV yesterday where they talked about mass piracy in Russia, and that exporting games there was far too big a financial risk.
Russia is not Europe alone. Europe is more meant like... Western Europe.

No, Europe does not have any piracy issues, unless you count people modding their console and buying Freeloaders etc. like idiots so they can play the games that aren't released here.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Yeah, I have no clue what their problem is with Europe, it's really quite unfair.

This is why the region lock needs to die, seriously. It's incredibly stupid. It's not like you're PIRATING the game, you're just paying for a version not from your region. I know there's a few reasons for it (price-fixing and ensuring that a local distributor gets the money rather than a foreign one), but they're ridiculous.

That's one reason I really wouldn't want to live in Europe.

Browny

Smash Hater
No, Europe does not have any piracy issues
I find that extremely hard to believe.

Is there any other reasons though? Like is this the same thing that for some reason prevented the Earthbound games from ever coming into PAL regions?

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I meant there are not as many piracy issues as elsewhere. In fact, America is FAR worse with piracy then Europe is.

No Mother game made it out of Japan outside of Mother 2 (aka EarthBound). That made it to the States but sold extremely poor there so Nintendo didn't bother to try to release it in the PAL regions (aka Europe and Australia).

Apparently, BlazBlue has no publisher for the European region, as Arksys doesn't want to release it in Europe.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Guess why? We don't get half of the ****ing games.

And I doubt pirating was so easy back in the 90s, where, y'know, the SNES era was, in which we didn't get like 80% of the games.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
If all games were sold as digital downloads, they could release everything anywhere.
Yeah, and then we'd all be screwed because we don't physically own any games.

If it ever comes to the point where every game is a digital download, I can't guarantee that I'll get that system.

Jonkku

Lacks pick-up lines.
Just think of how expensive maintaining such a console would be, you'd either need to buy SD cards (or whatever will be the equivalent in the future), so that the console's memory wouldn't run out, or the console itself would need to freaking much memory that it would cost fortunes..

On the other hand, the games wouldn't cost as much, possibly, as there's no cost in creating them for the makers. So if you'd buy a lot of games, it could balance out eventually.

And on the third hand, games would no longer have CD cases (well these days they're often DVDs, but whatever) or instruction manuals (which I actually read to every game I buy), and that would suck.

Overall, not good..

But atleast that would get us European some games too!! >:|

Frown

poekmon
Just think of how expensive maintaining such a console would be, you'd either need to buy SD cards (or whatever will be the equivalent in the future), so that the console's memory wouldn't run out, or the console itself would need to freaking much memory that it would cost fortunes..

On the other hand, the games wouldn't cost as much, possibly, as there's no cost in creating them for the makers. So if you'd buy a lot of games, it could balance out eventually.

And on the third hand, games would no longer have CD cases (well these days they're often DVDs, but whatever) or instruction manuals (which I actually read to every game I buy), and that would suck.

Overall, not good..

But atleast that would get us European some games too!! >:|
I don't want that console to exist today, I know that it will exist in the future.

I want my Tales of Monkey Island on wiiware =/
Me too. :mad:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I know. I felt the same. Hitler sums up the mood in Europe about this outrage quite nicely:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0AZAGBaLSo
What was Hitler actually talking about, I'm just curious, it looks as if it's taken from a movie.

But anyway aren't there SOME things Europeans get that the Americans don't? Maybe not compared to how many imports the U.S. get, but there must be something over there.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
What was Hitler actually talking about, I'm just curious, it looks as if it's taken from a movie.
He was talking about the German attack on Stalingrad, and yes it's taken from a movie (I forgot which, tho).

But anyway aren't there SOME things Europeans get that the Americans don't? Maybe not compared to how many imports the U.S. get, but there must be something over there.
Yes. We got Terranigma and Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland.
And of course the European-only productions from purely European developers that are too small to export or advertise their products to the USA.

SuperChoco

Smash Rookie
Didn't Europe also get some bomberman games as Eu exclusives?

It does stink to have to wait but after visiting Europe a year ago, their games were €50 or 70 or 80 dollars.

A real solution to this problem is to complain to the developers, it worked the phantasy star handhelds.or move to japan...

finalark

SNORLAX
Two things:

1: PS3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 360

If all games were sold as digital downloads, they could release everything anywhere.
2: I'd rather not see that future. Not owning games physically would suck for several reasons, such as how lending your games to your friends with either be a pain in the *** or impossible, and I'd rather not have to go through loosing ALL of my games and data if my system crashes.

Frown

poekmon
2: I'd rather not see that future. Not owning games physically would suck for several reasons, such as how lending your games to your friends with either be a pain in the *** or impossible, and I'd rather not have to go through loosing ALL of my games and data if my system crashes.
Do you know how those things work? You get an e-mail with a download lik which will work for one IP address, which allows you to download the game anytime while you're connected to your own network.

Also, the part about lending games to friends isn't anything the gaming industry is very happy about. :ohwell:

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
And of course E-mail adresses don't get hacked and the games get stolen.
Also, spreading games online or trough an E-mail would making pirating even easier.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Two things:

1: PS3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 360
Breaking news, I don't agree with you. And won't buy me a PS3 only for BlazBlue, sorry.

Frown

poekmon
And of course E-mail adresses don't get hacked and the games get stolen.
Also, spreading games online or trough an E-mail would making pirating even easier.
If you limit the games to one IP address, that won't happen.

Keep in mind that I want physical games to exist as well. I like to watch my collection of Wii games on the bookshelf.

Top Bottom