• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DC vs. Marvel: Infinity Crisis

PinkFlare

Previously 1SecondNinja
View attachment 358551

Job 90: nominate costumes for the Joker

Same as usual - submit the Joker's default costume plus anywhere from 1 to 7 alternates.

Job 91: nominate arcade mode rivals for Green Lantern and Thor

Who do we want Green Lantern and Thor's rival battles in arcade mode to be against?

For Green Lantern, I'm going to nominate Thanos - one of DC's villains, Mongul, is basically a lawyer-friendly Thanos (Jim Starlin created both characters), and Green Lantern has a well-justified grudge against Mongul for destroying his hometown. (this event led to Hal Jordan becoming Parallax in an attempt to bring it back)

His main design has plenty of alterations, but they're all pretty similar. It's the main Joker design. Not much to say.

Joker (2019)

If this skin isn't in the game then there just wasn't a reason to add Joker.

The Killing Joke

Red Hood

The Dark Knight Returns

White Knight

This one may seem a bit odd, but White Knight was a pretty big Batman storyline in the recent years of Batman comics, and Joker was a central character in it. It just seems too fitting.

Emperor Joker

(FYI Joker is the one on the bottom :]) This is actually a Superman storyline, which was adapted in the Batman: Brave and the Bold show, where Joker gains Mr. Mxyzptlk's powers. This design is really distinctive and fitting of the Joker, and it being from Superman rather than Batman makes it all the more interesting to include.

The Long Halloween

(His pilot gear, FYI) I was struggling to pick between this or Gotham By Gaslight. This one looked cooler

Job 91: Rivals
These two have already been said, and I agree with them because they're insanely obvious choices:
Green Lantern's rival is Captain Marvel, and Thor's is Shazam.

Now, onto another topic.
First off, I promised I would do this, so here it is:

Job 89: Villain Trading Cards
  • Lex Luthor (DC)
    • The smartest man on his planet, Lex Luthor reigns over Metropolis as the CEO of Lexcorp., a multibillion dollar company founded and headed by the Luthor family. Dedicating his life to defeating Superman once and for all, Luthor has driven himself into becoming one of the world's most feared supervillains, using his intellect, status and endless wealth as tools to which he intends to accomplish his goal, in which he sees himself as the most revered human being to ever walk the Earth.
  • Brimstone (DC)
    • An artificial being created by Darkseid, Brimstone is a powerful adversary among Superman's rogues gallery; being made from pure superheated plasma, Brimstone has the abilities of flight and the power to control lava and magma-based objects. Unfortunately for Darkseid, Brimstone did not live up to his desires, as time and time again, it is defeated by heroes and villains alike, and reconstructed by mysterious forces and subjected to the same fate of defeat.
  • Atomic Skull (DC)
    • Joseph Martin was merely a college student when he started suffering from an inexplicable illness. Expecting S.T.A.R. Labs to have an answer, Joseph's life would eventually fall away into an everlasting tragedy; surviving a terrorist attack thanks to exposure to the Parasite, and having been exploded, beaten and ridiculed for his now diseased look, Joseph would slowly lose all connection to his sanity, save for his favorite film: The Curse of the Atomic Skull!
  • Lobo (DC)
    • The main man, Lobo, rides his bike across the galaxy as its #1 intergalactic bounty hunter. The main man, Lobo, always snuffs his target out, until he made contact with Earth and its legion of heroes, including Superman. Fortunately for the main man, Lobo, he has been banned from entering the afterlife, thus rendering him unkillable; The main man, Lobo, has all of eternity to do what he does best, and hunt bounties all across the galaxy, and one day, the main man, Lobo, will collect on Superman, one way or another,
  • Metallo (DC)
    • A half-man, half-machine, fueled by a Kryptonite heart, Sgt. John Corben trudges through life as a metallic abomination. Initially joining the military to carry out an attack on Superman, the battle ends in a near-death experience for Corben, resulting in his transformation into Metallo. Though he may not be fully man, Corben has a full hatred for Superman, and will stop at nothing to see him dead beneath his iron feet.
  • Parasite (DC)
    • Rudy Jones, the Parasite, is a villain with the potential to be one of the most powerful in the universe. His abilities allow him to absorb the powers and weaknesses of anyone he touches, and drain the life from their eyes as he does it. However, Jones' numerous attempts to feed on Superman always ends up being more than he can chew; without the Kryptonian physiology and creativity that Superman has for his powers, Parasite will never be anything more than just that,
  • Superboy Prime (DC)
    • Hailing from a world where every superhero is merely just a fictional character, Kal-El is disillusioned by a preconceived destiny of becoming the world's greatest superhero: Superman. During the destructing of Earth-Prime in a multiversal Crisis, Kal would eventually go mad, believing all other Earths and Supermen inferior to his own, and taking up a new destiny, as one of the most powerful villains across the Multiverse.
  • Livewire (DC)
    • Leslie Willis, the hostess of Metropolis' most popular and controversial anti-Superman radio talk show, ends up suffering an accident on stage during a thunderstorm. Despite Superman's attempts to save her, Leslie undergoes a transform which leaves her hospitalized, but upon full recover, finds out she has the ability to control electricity in anyway she sees fit. Believing the Man of Steel as the cause for her accident, she sets herself out in an endless crusade against the Super-family.
  • Mongul (DC)
    • An alien warlord exiled from his own home after a revolution, Mongul scours the universe in his moon-sized superweapon, the Warworld, seeking nothing more than to rule another planet under his iron fist. Reaching a power level almost as fearful's as Darkseid, Mongul has become a threat not just to Superman but to the Justice League and Earth as a whole. Whenever the Warworld enters the orbit of Earth, let it heed as a warning to those who bask in it's presence, for only two choices now remain: worship Mongul, or perish,
  • Mongal (DC)
    • Born with the blood of Mongul the Elder in her veins, Mongal carries a presence as the daughter of one of the most powerful rules in the universe. Though never quite reaching the heights of her own father, Mongal serves as one of his top warriors, and a ruler in her own right, capable of going toe to toe with Superman. With a reputation this impressive, it is not a wonder Amanda Waller forced her into becoming a member of Task Force X.​
Since I did all of these cards, I'll also just briefly ask Infinity Sorcerer Infinity Sorcerer for permission on if I can make a bio for Bloodsport's card.

Proposition
Now then. I was thinking about this yesterday but decided to wait earlier today to see the results of the Marvel Cosmic characters, and as I expected, quite a few of them came close to each other. I do honestly have qualms with how we only have 1 Guardian among the base roster, which is unlikely to be fixed given the other categories, but I digress. There are a lot of excellent character choices that will likely never make it into the game beyond more than alternate endings and trading cards, even with DLC. There are also plenty of other characters not being nominated as frequently that still serve central roles across various comics in their respective companies. I had a brief revelation last night, however.

The Marvel vs. Capcom series has a recurring mechanic in which the player can call upon an assist character; Essentially, one of their off-screen teammates will briefly appear on screen and perform an attack or two, and then vanish from the fight, However, this is an action only done by playable characters and is done so as a result of the tag-team mechanics of the games... except for the first game in the series. In Clash of Superheroes (not X-Men or Vs. Street Fighter, FYI), all of the assist characters were non-playable characters, which could be marked as cameos for all intents and purposes.
Since this project has elected to adapt Injustice's (and other traditional 2D fighters) 1 on 1 battle system, it stands to reasons that teammate assists just isn't a viable addition. So I would like to propose an alternative solution, and I want to see if it will be added into the project or not, under Megadoomer Megadoomer 's consent.

Character Assists would be a new gameplay feature, in which a selection of various DC and Marvel characters would be available to choose from (ideally these character selections would differ entirely from the main roster of already playable characters), and they can be called upon to perform a limited range of special, unique attacks against the opponent, say, once per match, before being unavailable for use. I suppose this can work like the Wager function in Injustice, in which it can only be accessed once a player is on their second bar of health. Hell, if we're opting not to have a Wager function, we can use this a substitute. I will also say that this could be an optional feature, if it is felt by others that fights should just focus purely on the two main characters.
My reasoning for this addition is that it would be a nice blend of both Injustice's traditional fighting gameplay and MvC's unique gameplay mechanics, and offer as a way to include as many characters as possible in a realistic manner. Characters that don't quite make it high on the polls but have a lot of agreed upon potential could definitely be bartered for as assists, or, and I think this is also a good option for future jobs, we can nominate characters solely for assists that we otherwise would never nominate as a regular character. For example, let's say I nominate Cosmo the Space Dog as an assist, utilizing a telepathic attack in which it stuns the opponent character, or Lois Lane as an assist in which she reads off a harsh newspaper headline diminishing a character's reputation, causing them to take physical damage due to their bruised ego.

Obviously this could end up conflicting to whatever future jobs may be planned or how the rest of the community wants to see this project turn out. I think, however, that with the base roster only 6 characters away from wrapping up, and no current idea on how many DLC characters will be added, this would be a neat way to include more characters. I will also put this out first and foremost that if this is something we do end up doing, assists should not ban characters from being nominated in future categories. This isn't Smash Bros. so there is no reason for that rule to apply.

That's all I have to say for now.

Last edited:

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
VENOM MOVESET
1660476136306.png
General Playstyle
Venom is a powerhouse character with multiple mixups due the nature of his body taking different shapes that are quite unpredictable appart of various moves with similar startups.

Unique Ability - Dark Web
Similar to how Martian Manhunter uses a similar special of Superman has an Unique Ability, Venom uses his own version of Spider Web has his Unique Ability, Venom's web is stronger and stuns the opponent but is also slower. Depending of the stick direction Venom can shoot in different angles.

MOVE NAMEINPUTDESCRIPTION
Venom Bash236 + XVenom launches himself forwards changing his shape into a mounstrous shark. Is very similar to Venom Fang in startup but this move only hits mid and low.
Venom Fang623 + XVenom launches himself in an arc changing his shape into countless massive fangs lunging the opponent. Is very similar to Venom Bash in startup but this move counts has an overhead.
Shadow Drill214 + XVenom creates a drill with a part of him that pierces in the ground, the button's strength determinates where the drill appears.
Living Weapon421 + XVenom changes his shape into multiple tentacles exploding the near opponents.
Symbiote Surge22 + X Venom colocates a part of himself in the floor, if the opponent touch this part of the ground they would be trapped by the symbiote that stuns them leaving Venom a chance to attack. The buttons variates the location of the symbiote.
Web Bite236 + UA ButtonVenom shoots a dark thread, if connects it grabs the opponents and slams them to the ground, the strongest version points upwards.
Level 1 Super: Venom JawQCFQCF + XA huge version of Venom Fang that can be slightly directed, it can only be blocked high.
Level 2 Super: Spider KillerQCBQCB + XDoing his own version of Spider-Man's Crawler Rush but due his physic is a stronger and heavier attack, that ends with Venom jumping in the air in his Venom Fang form has an uppercut.
Level 3 Hide and SeekAll Buttons PressedVenom lungs towards the opponent starting a cinematic where he suddenly dissapears of the opponent's view, however there is something lurking in the shadows, with different noises appearing from all directions, then black tentacles appears from above grabbing the opponent while offscreen several screams of the enemy being brutaly beated can be heard, in the end Venom slams the opponent to the ground with his face and shrieks "WE ARE VENOM!".
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since I did all of these cards, I'll also just briefly ask Infinity Sorcerer Infinity Sorcerer Infinity Sorcerer Infinity Sorcerer for permission on if I can make a bio for Bloodsport's card.
Of course you can!, being honest I don't have the creativity to do those things but I can name some various characters so I will be glad if someone grabs any of my suggestions to do do a card description!

Apart of that I love your idea, I did thinked in that some times while playing the first MvC that also had a third character in the form of an unplayable assist. For the possibility of assists overlaping with the playable characters it would be so easy to explain with just grabbing a version from a different earth of them so I don't find any problem, I will support it!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Proposition
Now then. I was thinking about this yesterday but decided to wait earlier today to see the results of the Marvel Cosmic characters, and as I expected, quite a few of them came close to each other. I do honestly have qualms with how we only have 1 Guardian among the base roster, which is unlikely to be fixed given the other categories, but I digress. There are a lot of excellent character choices that will likely never make it into the game beyond more than alternate endings and trading cards, even with DLC. There are also plenty of other characters not being nominated as frequently that still serve central roles across various comics in their respective companies. I had a brief revelation last night, however.

The Marvel vs. Capcom series has a recurring mechanic in which the player can call upon an assist character; Essentially, one of their off-screen teammates will briefly appear on screen and perform an attack or two, and then vanish from the fight, However, this is an action only done by playable characters and is done so as a result of the tag-team mechanics of the games... except for the first game in the series. In Clash of Superheroes (not X-Men or Vs. Street Fighter, FYI), all of the assist characters were non-playable characters, which could be marked as cameos for all intents and purposes.
Since this project has elected to adapt Injustice's (and other traditional 2D fighters) 1 on 1 battle system, it stands to reasons that teammate assists just isn't a viable addition. So I would like to propose an alternative solution, and I want to see if it will be added into the project or not, under Megadoomer Megadoomer 's consent.

Character Assists would be a new gameplay feature, in which a selection of various DC and Marvel characters would be available to choose from (ideally these character selections would differ entirely from the main roster of already playable characters), and they can be called upon to perform a limited range of special, unique attacks against the opponent, say, once per match, before being unavailable for use. I suppose this can work like the Wager function in Injustice, in which it can only be accessed once a player is on their second bar of health. Hell, if we're opting not to have a Wager function, we can use this a substitute. I will also say that this could be an optional feature, if it is felt by others that fights should just focus purely on the two main characters.
My reasoning for this addition is that it would be a nice blend of both Injustice's traditional fighting gameplay and MvC's unique gameplay mechanics, and offer as a way to include as many characters as possible in a realistic manner. Characters that don't quite make it high on the polls but have a lot of agreed upon potential could definitely be bartered for as assists, or, and I think this is also a good option for future jobs, we can nominate characters solely for assists that we otherwise would never nominate as a regular character. For example, let's say I nominate Cosmo the Space Dog as an assist, utilizing a telepathic attack in which it stuns the opponent character, or Lois Lane as an assist in which she reads off a harsh newspaper headline diminishing a character's reputation, causing them to take physical damage due to their bruised ego.

Obviously this could end up conflicting to whatever future jobs may be planned or how the rest of the community wants to see this project turn out. I think, however, that with the base roster only 6 characters away from wrapping up, and no current idea on how many DLC characters will be added, this would be a neat way to include more characters. I will also put this out first and foremost that if this is something we do end up doing, assists should not ban characters from being nominated in future categories. This isn't Smash Bros. so there is no reason for that rule to apply.

That's all I have to say for now.
It's definitely worth discussing; I didn't consider assists before this point, but then again, I wasn't sure how much to focus on gameplay since that didn't seem to be the main interest for people.

If a character who's picked as an assist becomes playable later, maybe they could be grayed out/unselectable if they're being played as? Or we could have assists be selectable regardless of who's being played as. I'm not sure; there are a bunch of ways around it, and we already have mirror matches so it's not like it's impossible to have multiple versions of the same character in a match. Heck, we could have playable characters in the assist roster to allow for 2-on-2 or 2-on-1 fights to be simulated in story mode. (like Black Canary with a Green Arrow assist taking on Venom)

I can have discussing assists (whether or not to have them, how to handle them, etc.) be one of the jobs later today, or we could start that discussion now (it's only a difference of about three hours at this point).

Last edited:

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
Asssits could be cool but I'm not quite feeling it honestly. Feels very late in the game to introduce this
That was something I thinked about, but considering that even if the base roster is near the end we still have some amount of base game content like the movesets, endings, interactions, cards, etc. I consider it a good way to mantain the thread active before the DLCs since being honest the thing that attracts more people is the character's submissions lol.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
Alright so thinking about assists, here it is my pitch of how they would work.

Each player can select 1 assist before the start of the match (or can also choice don't have anyone), for summon an assist you require an assist stock, each assist has a different amount of stocks that variates between 4 (can be used multiple times but their effects are weak) and 1 (can only be used once per match but their effects are great), playable characters can also be selectable has assists, thus allowing promote assists to playable characters in the future. I don't know if mirror assists should be a thing but if is then they could use a different look to the playable character.

The assists are divided in different classes depending of their effects, starting with the Strikers who are the ones who does an attack and then leaves, the Trappers who sets something in the stage before leave and the Helpers who provokes a status effect to the opponent or the player (including heal).

Maybe something troublesome that it would end being just something writted but that I don't think someone would actually do, but considering how this game would sell a lot for the interaction/fanservice factor then the assists could have some sort of interaction with the playable character too when they are summoned either talking with the one who summon them or the opponent like idk, for example using the idea of Lois Lane if Superman summons her they both would salutate each other but if she uses her attack against Superman would say something like "Sorry Clark".

So in synthesis:
  • Assists requires stocks to be summoned
  • Assists has 1 to 4 stocks depending of their strength
  • Playabe characters can be assists and viceversa
  • Assists are divided in three classes
    • Strikers (Attack)
    • Trapper (Set)
    • Helper (Status effect)
  • It would me implied that they has interactions with some characters.
Oh, and in the case of the jobs perse, maybe having between 2 or 4 winners per job so we can allow more ideas at the same time we end the assists slots quicker. In terms of the amount maybe like 30-ish????

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
I was a bit torn on Hulk and Thor's rivals.

It should be Shazam and Superman, but I wasn't sure which one should go to which. It took a bit of debating with myself, but I do really like the idea of Bruce and Billy walking into the battlefield before they both transform.

So let's say Shazam is Hulk's rival and Superman is Thor's.

Classic Joker.jpg
Classic Joker (default)

Vacation Joker.jpg
Vacation Joker

Joker Phoenix.jpg
Phoenix Joker (originally I was thinking about Nicholson, Ledger, Romero, and Leto alts but I didn't think the other were too visually different, except maybe Leto's and I didn't want to have him be the ONLY actor Joker costume)

straight jacket joker.jpg
Joker in a straightjacket

joker the white.jpg
Joker in a white suit

Robin Joker.jpg
Joker dressed as Robin

Jokester.jpg
Jokester, the heroic Joker from an alternate reality

Joker vs Hulk.png
Shaper Powered Joker
The outfit Joker wore when he got cosmic powers in the comic where Batman met Hulk)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The results for the rival poll for the Hulk are tied at this point, so I'll flip a coin seven times to decide the result. With four heads (Superman) and three tails (Shazam), Superman will be the Hulk's rival! On a related note, here are the polls for Green Lantern and Thor:

EDIT: Just noticed that Oddball suggested Superman as Thor's rival, so I changed the poll to include that. Sorry about that; if anyone already voted on the Thor poll, they can vote on this one as well. (previously, Shazam was beating Aquaman 3-1)

The following Joker costumes were submitted; we got a much wider variety than I expected!

-Infinity Sorcerer
-Megadoomer
-Darkonedagger
-1SecondNinja
-Oddball

(glad to see Red Hood made it into most of the lists, and I apologize for the previous page having so many pictures embedded into it haha - I probably could have done a better job with spacing out the costume jobs for Thor and the Joker)

---

Job 92: nominate rivals for the Joker and Magneto

I realize we've been doing a lot of these lately, and I'll slow down after this - I just felt like it was too soon to jump into another character job, and I didn't want to do another stage job until the base roster is finished. (plus, it felt like we were way behind when it came to this concept, and it's quick enough to do)

For the Joker, I'm going to nominate Daredevil - Daredevil's someone who's gone through a lot of loss in his life but kept on persevering, and I could see the Joker trying to push him over the edge like he does so often with Batman.

For Magneto, I'm going to nominate Lex Luthor, since Magneto's a mutant supremacist while Luthor is (for the lack of a better term) a human supremacist. Luthor seems like he'd be annoyed at the mere existence of a group of people calling themselves superior to humans, and if Luthor decided to target mutantkind with the sort of fervour that he targets Superman, then Magneto would want to put a stop to it.

---

Discussion: Assists

First of all, what are our thoughts on including them?

(today's a pretty poll-heavy day, huh?)

If we don't wind up including them, then there's not really anything to discuss. However, if we do wind up including them, a few questions come to mind:

a) should playable characters automatically be assists? (that way, there's no risk of people assuming that once a character's an assist, then that means they can't be playable) Or should the assists and the playable characters be separate?

b) what seems like a good amount of assists to have? I figure that, if we do add them, it will be several at a time, but I'm not sure what would be an amount that's high enough to get some variety without going overboard

c) how should they work from a gameplay perspective? Should they only be summoned once per match, have a certain amount of summons depending on their strength, or have a cooldown associated with them?

I realize that some users have already posted their thoughts on this; I just wanted to take some time to formally discuss it.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
(glad to see Red Hood made it into all of the lists,
(Except mine)

The results for the rival poll for the Hulk are tied at this point, so I'll flip a coin seven times to decide the result. With four heads (Superman) and three tails (Shazam), Superman will be the Hulk's rival! On a related note, here are the polls for Green Lantern and Thor:
Well, if Superman is Hulk's rival, then let's have Shazam fight Thor. If it was good enough for Marvel and DC themselves when they did their big crossover, it's good enough for me.

The rival for Joker should be Loki.

The God of Mischief vs the Clown Prince of Crime

The rival for Magneto is a bit tougher ... Ra's al Ghul maybe?

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
sorry. Meant to edit my post rather than double posting. My bad.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
(Except mine)

Well, if Superman is Hulk's rival, then let's have Shazam fight Thor. If it was good enough for Marvel and DC themselves when they did their big crossover, it's good enough for me.

The rival for Joker should be Loki.

The God of Mischief vs the Clown Prince of Crime

The rival for Magneto is a bit tougher ... Ra's al Ghul maybe?
Sorry about that; you posted right before I did, so I had to frantically make edits and change two of the polls. I think I've fixed everything now?

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
For a Magneto rival I choose Ra's, well intentioned extremist on the way.

I pretty much told my ideas already, but talking about the quantity...

Marvel vs Capcom 1 had 22 assists but Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax (another game with assist-only characters that is more recent) had 31. I think maybe a number under the boundaries of 20 and 30 is OK. It isn't necessary bloat the game with assists especially considering the roster base quantity....but.

In the case we end making every playable character an assist too, then the number of assist-only characters shouldn't be affected, so you could have like the imprsssive amount of more than 80 assists where select, a truly craziness fr.

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Job 92:Venom as Joker's rival

Well,i choose Venom because both Venom and Joker are archenemies from the hero (Spider-Man and Batman respectively).

I want to put green goblin or carnage because for me makes sense,but they aren't on the roster

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
Being completely honest, doesn't it feel pretty late to add assist characters in this project's lifespan? I would've said yes if this was brought up much earlier (not for disconfirming favorites).
Well, has we talked before the assists doesn't necessary need to disconfirm fighters. Especially considering that we are talking about universes where different versions of a same character fighting are very common. And also we still have some path between all the content that is lacking in the base roster yet so having some additional time between the end of the movesets and interactions and the start of the DLCs would be good.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I feel like it's worth noting that I changed the Thor rival poll, so if you already voted on it, you'll have to vote again. (though only three people other than myself voted in the previous version of that poll)

---

As for assists, I do feel that something like something like 28 or 30 assist-exclusive characters seems like a good amount if we do include them. (if we do include assists, we'll definitely be adding 2 or 3 per job, with themes, to keep it from dragging on) I'm of the opinion that playable characters should be allowed to be summoned as assists, both to make sure that assists don't rule characters out later down the line and to allow for team-ups that wouldn't happen otherwise.

I can see both sides of the "should we include them?" question - on one hand, assists would add more to the game, whether it's neat little character interactions or opportunities to include characters who, for one reason or another, haven't made it into the playable roster. On the other hand, it might be too late to include them, considering that this has been running for two months and it hasn't been brought up before this point, and I can see the appeal in keeping this hypothetical fighting game a simple/straightforward one. I might sit this poll out, just to be safe.

---

Match Intros:

Rocket and Groot vs. Superman

Groot: "I am Groot." - Rocket: "Oh man, that's hilarious!"
Superman: "I think I've got it - 'I... am Groot?'"
Groot: "I am Groot!" - Rocket: "Great, there goes our inside jokes."

Rocket and Groot vs. Rocket and Groot:

Groot 1: "I am Groot!" - Rocket 1: "Ain't nothing like me 'cept me!"
Groot 2: "I am Groot!" - Rocket 2: "Hey, that's my line!"
Groot 1: "I am Groot?" - Rocket 1: "Well, after this, I'm makin' sure of it."

Darkseid vs. Daredevil:

Darkseid: "I am the New God."
Daredevil: "You're no god - just an alien with an inflated ego."
Darkseid: "Bold words from one about to die."

Deadpool vs. Zatanna:

Deadpool: "Do you need a beautiful assistant for your next show? I'm a master at the 'saw a person in half' trick!"
Zatanna: "I've seen you work, and I'm looking for something less... bloody."
Deadpool: "Can you at least turn me into a newt?"

Ms. Marvel vs. Plastic Man:

Ms. Marvel: "Whoa! How'd you do that?"
Plastic Man: "If I can put my mind to it, I can become anything!"
Ms. Marvel: "Can you teach me?"

---

I'm going to try coming up with a moveset for Harley Quinn later today.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Deadpool vs Deathstroke
DP: Are we doing 'Enter the Deadpoolverse' or are you just some wacky Player 2 costume of me.
DS: If anything, you're a pale imitation of me.
DP: My mistake. You're not a Deadpool, you're just going to be dead.

John Constantine vs Daredevil
JC: Daredevil, eh? Can't say I've ever seen any self respecting devil that would dress dress like that.
DD: Why do I have a feeling you don't know too many self respecting people at all.
JC: You might just have a point there, squire.

Deadpool vs Darkseid
Deadpool: No! I won't join you! We won't rule the galaxy as father and son, not even if you cut off my hand!
Darkseid: Must I destroy you to end your foolish prattling?
Deadpool: Strike me down now and I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

Joker vs Hulk
Hulk: Hulk Smash Clownface!
Joker: Why should we be fighting, Hulky. We have so much in common. The green hair, a love for puple pants. Let's be friends.
Hulk: Hulk not fall for Clownface tricks. Hulk have no friends!

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Harley Quinn moveset

Unique Ability: Bud and Lou
- pressing the Unique Ability button causes Harley to throw a treat, leading to one of her pet hyenas chasing after it. Pressing the button normally causes Bud to run along the ground, while holding forward and pressing it causes Lou to leap at it. Either way, the hyena damages the opponent if he connects with them.

Cartwheel (quarter circle forward + attack) - Harley cartwheels forward, gaining temporary invincibility towards the middle of the move. The distance that she cartwheels depends on which action button is pressed, and it acts more like a dodge rather than doing any damage. However, if an attack button is pressed in the middle of the animation, she does a different attack depending on what was pressed.
  • Light Attack: Slide - Harley slides along the ground like she's trying to steal a base in baseball, giving her some extra distance and damaging whoever she kicks, though it doesn't do much damage
  • Medium Attack: Dismount - Harley leaps up into the air and lands in a gymnast pose, ending the cartwheel early and hurting whoever she lands on.
  • Heavy Attack: Surprise! - while cartwheeling, Harley drops a grenade, which explodes shortly after landing.
Kaboom Bowling (back, forward, attack) - Harley pulls out a big cartoonish-looking bomb, winding up before rolling it straight ahead. It explodes when it hits an opponent or when its fuse runs out.

Batter Up! (quarter circle back + attack) - Harley pulls out her baseball bat and swings; this move can repel projectile attacks with the right timing, and launches opponents across the stage if it hits them directly.

Gift from Red (down, up, attack) - Harley puts a plant in the ground, which quickly sprouts upwards in a mess of vines and thorns. This serves as an anti-air and puts a wall between her and her opponent, though it only stays out for a short time.

Level 1: Perfect 10 (quarter circle forward x 2 + attack) - Harley does an extended gymnastics routine with lots of flips, cartwheels, and handstands, kicking the opponent a lot in the process.

Level 2: Cluster Bomb (half circle forward + attack) - Harley tosses a bunch of explosives into the air - bombs, dynamite, grenades, exploding pies and cupcakes... Plus some bean bags and confetti bombs that deal scratch damage mixed in.

Level 3: Outta My Way! (press all buttons) - Harley pulls out a gun with an extendable boxing glove on the end and fires it. If the opponent is punched by it, they're stunned, giving Harley enough time to run off and get a tanker truck carrying gas. (where she finds one of those in the Dark Dimension is a mystery - probably the same place where Batman finds the Batmobile) Honking the truck's horn, she rams it into the opponent, jumping out in anticipation that it will explode... which doesn't happen. She lights up a firework, which launches into the air and whizzes around wildly before landing in the gas container and causing the whole thing to explode. (as a side note, she tries to do the whole slow-mo "cool guys don't look at explosions" walk-away thing... except a flaming tire lands near her, causing her to react in shock, and knocks the camera over)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Rocket Racoon & Groot Arcade Ending
Having helped defeat Thanosied. Rocket and Groot return to the Guardians. But Rocket feels a little lost. Discovering a World known as Earth-26, home to talking animals just like Rocket. After promding to come back and vist the Guardians, Rocket (and Groot) are then seen jumping into action alongside Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew (and other funny animal characters such as Spider-Ham)

- Taskmaster:
A mercenary for hire with the ability to copy any fighting style, Anthony Masters wears a distinctive skull mask as Taskmaster. He also acts as an instructor, having trained many villians and heroes to fight. His photographic reflexes come at the cost of his short term memory.

-Songbird:
Formally known as the criminal Screaming Mimi. Melissa Gold was a troubled teenage runaway who came into contact with a group of female wrestlers known as the Grapplers. Passing the power of super sonic screams, Melissa would act as a super villain alongside the other grapplers before the group disbanded. She would eventually serve on the Masters of Evil and yhe Thunderbolts, the later of which would inspire her to become a hero, taking the name Songbird.

- Bullseye:
A deadly assassin. Benjamin Poindexter is a cold blooded psychopath who possess the ability to use any object as a projectile and never miss his target, from throwing stars and knives to pens and playing cards. He holds a personal gauge against the heroe Daredevil, but is also known to battle other figures, such as the Punisher

- Nebula:
The daughter of the Mad Titan Thanos and half sister of the Guardians of the Galaxy's Gamora. A space pirate and mercenary. She developed a rivalry with her siser due to Thanos's treatment of them. Nebula captained her father's ship Sanctuary II. Nebula has sometimes turned against her father, even joining the Guardians for a time.

- Mole Man:
The first villain that the Fantastic Four ever faced. Harvey Elder was an engineer and explorer who was shunned by his colleagues for his abrasive personality and madcap ideas. While exploring, he found himself in the hidden underground world of Subterranea. He became ruler of the creatures known as Moloids. He took up the name Mole Man due to his appearance and loss of sight, often making attacks on the surface world.

- Harley Quinn:
Dr. Harleen Quinzel was once a psychiatrist working at Arkham Asylum who fell in love with the infamous criminal known as the Joker. Becoming Harley Quinn, the Joker's sidekick and girlfriend. She was loyal to him, dispite his often bad treatment of her. Harley would become a recurring member of the Suicide Sqaud. She would eventually leave the Joker, striking out on her own and forming a close relationship with the villianess Poison Ivy.

- Cheetah
Archaeologist Dr. Barbara Ann Minerva travelled to Africa, where she found a tribe who worship the plant god Urzkartaga. They turn her into the Cheetah, a blood thirsty cat like monster. She becomes a reccurring foe to Wonder Woman, at first to get her Lasso's power, and them simply out of revenge.

- Reverse Flash:
Eobard Thawne was a scientist from the 25th century. He had developed an obsession with the Flash, even managing to replicate the acident that gave the Flash his powers. But br was driven insane upon learning his destiny was fl become the Flash'a greatest foe. He became the villian known as the Reverse Flash, traveling back in time to Menace the Flash. He traveled back in time, killing Barry Allen's mother. These events indirectly led to the creation of the Flsshpoint universe. Dispite being shot in the head by by that universe's Batman, Thawne still comes back to mess with the Flash family.

- Doctor Destiny:
A criminal scientist who became an enemy of the Justice League. He would invernt various gadgets to use for criminal means. His biggest invention was something that allowed him to weponize the dreams of others. This brought him face to face with Dream of the Endless, who defeated him. Dispite this, he would eventually return to meance the leagurle

- Vandal Savage:
An immortal who has been alive since the Cro-Magnon era after being exposed to a strange meteorite. For over 50 thousand years, he has acted a villian, attempting to conquer the earth. Brutal and intelligent. He has faced off against many superheroes.

For Joker I'll go Deadpool. Possibly the only person more insane than he is

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
ROCKET & GROOT MOVESET
1660508192695.png
General Playstyle
They work has a puppet character with Rocket has the main character, while Rocket is specializated in zoning and trapping Groot is the one who does the damage.

Unique Ability - I Am Groot!
Groot spawns from the floor and helps Rocket, use the Unique Ability actions to make Groot move and attack, Groot counts with a special meter that represents his life, it usually requires four hits to kill Groot, if he is defeated it would require to wait for a while for recover his wounds. Using Back to the Garden makes Groot retire healing passively so it's better retire Groot when has low health than wait that he gets defeated.

Spitfire236 + X (Air OK)Rocket uses a cannon and fires a load of bullets, you can hold the button to launch more bullets.
Spitspark236+ X (Hold and press back)Instead of a load of bullets Rocket launch an energy ball to attack the opponent, stuns the opponent if hits.
Grab Bag214 + XRocket toss a trap in the form of a mine, if someone who isn't the proper Rocket or Groot (including the opponent's Groot) pass over it they get trapped by an electric net electrocuting them and grabbing them for a while we're they are vulnerable to a combo of Rocket.
Oil Bomb22 + X Rocket toss an oil bomb, he can then ignite the oil with different attacks, Rocket can even explode the bomb midair for a surprise attack; don't worry Groot wouldn't be harmed!
Vine WhipUA Button when Groot is activeGroot attacks with a flurry of vines using his arms.
Move4 or 6 + UA Button when Groot is activeGroot moves, like all Groot's actions you can do it even while attacking with Rocket.
Groot Slam2 + UA Button when Groot is activeGroot punches the ground, sends the opponent to the air where Rocket can intercepts them.
Root Swing236 + UA Button when Groot is activeGroot attacks slaming his arm to the ground, is a very big attack that covers almost 3/4 of the stage but it has a lenghty startup being easy to react.
Creeper Throw623 + UA Button when Groot is activeGroot extends his arms and if connects grabs the opponent and slams it to the ground, the heavy version points upwards has an anti-air grab.
Mount214 + UA Button when Groot is activeRocket mounts Groot, in this state Rocket and Groot moves at the same time, Rocket's Oil Bomb and Spitspark are disabled while Spitfire and Grab Bag have a different trajectory due the new height while Groot lose Vine Whip and Groot Slam, Groot can't jump but is quite faster than someone would think. If they are hitted Rocket automatically leaves Groot. Rocket can go back to the ground tapping down twice.
Back to the Garden22 + UA Button when Groot is activeGroot retires from the battle to heal. It can also be used to do some weird resets if you are skilled enough.
Level 1 Super: MinefieldQCFQCF + XRocket launches a lot of minebombs creating a rain of explosions.
Level 2 Super: Rocket n' RollQCBQCB + XRocket grabs a minigun and attacks with a myriad of bullets, he can do the move while he is above Groot. In both case the direction can be slightly directed moving the stick button.
Level 2 Super: We are Groot!QCBQCB + UA Button when Groot is activeGroot exclaims "We are Groot!" and slams his hands to the ground creating an explosion of roots around him, if Rocket is above Groot he would go back to the ground after the attack.
Level 3 Super: Troublesome DuoAll Buttons PressedEven if Groot isn't in the battle (or even if he is defeated) he will spawn from the ground and Rocket would jump to his shoulder, then Groot becomes bigger and bigger while attacks the opponent with fiery hits with his roots, then he traps the opponent in thick roots while Rocket calls the rest of the Guardians who flies trought the battle launching a huge missile to the opponent creating a nuclear explosion, all this while Groot and Rocket looks from far in a safe distance.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Harley Quinn arcade ending:

Having helped with Thanoseid, Harley finds that she likes feeling like a good person. With support from Ivy, a presidential pardon, and some anonymous donations (from Bruce Wayne), she decides to go back to working as a psychiatrist. Her manner with patients can be questionable (she's still acting like herself, albeit wearing glasses and a white coat), but her experiences allow her to help villains like Shocker, Kite-Man (hell yeah), and White Rabbit turn their lives around. Sure, some (like the Owl) object to her taking away from the pool of low-level villains who are desperate for work, but (as we see her beating up the Owl's goons while the Owl realizes that he's in over his head) she wouldn't have it any other way!

Darkseid arcade ending:

Darkseid reflects on what happened since merging with Thanos and being split apart. While he did not attain his great prize, the Anti-Life Equation, he did find something that seems like it will be somewhat useful. The Infinity Stones float in front of him before being absorbed into his body. He will not make the same mistake with them that Thanos did. They may be useless outside of this particular universe, but every conquest, no matter how relatively small it may be, is worth it to Darkseid. As he's accustomed to godhood, he adapts to the Infinity Stones much quicker than Thanos, his body growing and changing until he resembles Eternity (a starry silhouette with his face visible and eyes glowing red) as he declares that he is the New God.

...Needless to say, the Living Tribunal objects to this. Darkseid's current status threatens the multiverse, and as such, the Tribunal must intervene. The Living Tribunal and Eternity!Darkseid charge into battle as the screen fades to white; we don't see the outcome.

Last edited:

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
Thanos Arcade Ending
Thanos experience during his fusion with Darkseid was strange, but he mantained some memories of his counterpart, with this new knowledge Thanos finded an easier way to satisface her loved Death using the Anti-Life Equation. When he founds it he doesn't doubts on using it and then...

Someone appears front him, Metron, who was also part of the events of the story appears at front of him, while him didn't had intentions to actually stop Thanos he made a different proposal to him. Metron offer Thanos takes his place in the Mobius Chair, after all if the life comes to an end he doesn't need to mantain his title. Thanos accepts his last wish even if considers this gift has worthless, however after sit his mind changes, Thanos gains all the knowledge of the universe, this new information gived him a different perspective of life, deciding to don't use the Anti-Life Equation and instead become the new Metron travelling across the multiverse in the search of more knowledge.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The results of the assist poll had "no" winning, so they won't be included. We'll be using Infinity Sorcerer Infinity Sorcerer 's list of Joker costumes, Green Lantern's rival will be Captain Marvel, and Thor's rival will be Shazam!

Here are the polls for the Joker and Magneto's rivals:

Job 93: nominate a magic user from DC

This can be anyone in DC who uses magic (that we don't already have in the roster); here's a shortened list, and here's a more in-depth one. It's worth noting that the second list includes multiversal versions of the same characters, with characters that show up often in different media like Etrigan or Zatanna stretching the list out so that it gets quite long.

Last edited:

PinkFlare

Previously 1SecondNinja
Job 92: nominate rivals for the Joker and Magneto

I realize we've been doing a lot of these lately, and I'll slow down after this - I just felt like it was too soon to jump into another character job, and I didn't want to do another stage job until the base roster is finished. (plus, it felt like we were way behind when it came to this concept, and it's quick enough to do)

For the Joker, I'm going to nominate Daredevil - Daredevil's someone who's gone through a lot of loss in his life but kept on persevering, and I could see the Joker trying to push him over the edge like he does so often with Batman.

For Magneto, I'm going to nominate Lex Luthor, since Magneto's a mutant supremacist while Luthor is (for the lack of a better term) a human supremacist. Luthor seems like he'd be annoyed at the mere existence of a group of people calling themselves superior to humans, and if Luthor decided to target mutantkind with the sort of fervour that he targets Superman, then Magneto would want to put a stop to it.

---

First of all, what are our thoughts on including them?

(today's a pretty poll-heavy day, huh?)

If we don't wind up including them, then there's not really anything to discuss. However, if we do wind up including them, a few questions come to mind:

a) should playable characters automatically be assists? (that way, there's no risk of people assuming that once a character's an assist, then that means they can't be playable) Or should the assists and the playable characters be separate?

b) what seems like a good amount of assists to have? I figure that, if we do add them, it will be several at a time, but I'm not sure what would be an amount that's high enough to get some variety without going overboard

c) how should they work from a gameplay perspective? Should they only be summoned once per match, have a certain amount of summons depending on their strength, or have a cooldown associated with them?

I realize that some users have already posted their thoughts on this; I just wanted to take some time to formally discuss it.
Job 92: Rivals
Joker's rival should be Loki. I don't think any other character would fit quite as well as he would.
Magneto is a tough one. I instinctively wanted to say Black Adam, but we currently lack him on the roster. I'd want to resubmit my idea of having a rivalry between him and Wonder Woman, but with her being a rival for Cap, I feel like we'd have too many repeats. This is tough... I'll sit this one out and vote for whoever the other suggestions are

Thank you for considering my idea :]
From the looks of it, it seems like assists are not necessarily the route some people would like this project to go, so it seems like they won't be included. However, the poll came pretty close, with 4 Aye's against 5 Nay's, so I suppose it wasn't all lost.

Being completely honest, doesn't it feel pretty late to add assist characters in this project's lifespan?
Assists could be cool but I'm not quite feeling it honestly. Feels very late in the game to introduce this
I definitely understand this sentiment. Had I been involved earlier I probably would've brought this up, but I wasn't around for the two or so months this thread was :[
I think there is definitely some good to having it as a late base game addition; It prevents overlap with characters already on the playable roster, and it gives this thread the chance to have more character submissions after the roster itself is complete, at least in between the span of now and DLC, which I'm assuming will be quite a while. This also isn't really unusual for Triple A game development; as is with Smash, the main roster is always completely planned before they move onto assists.

I will definitely shed some light on how I was thinking assists would work, since the discussion itself is fun to have.

a) I was thinking assists and playable characters be separate, with the exception of any DLC characters who were assists beforehand. I feel like having the main roster of playable characters be assists would take away from having assists be a way to represent new characters.

b) I was thinking about 14 to 16 assists, 7 to 8 per side. It does seem quite low, but I did consider that since this was a late idea, it shouldn't be a high number, and I want it to be realistic in comparison to the amount of characters we have in the base roster, which is huge.

c) I was thinking once per round only, but with the assists having a nice impact in the battle for whenever they are on screen. Injustice and Mortal Kombat matches are on average not that drawn out to warrant having multiple summons per match, and health bars can go away quickly depending on the combo. I suppose the same can be said for Smash, but in Smash, the assists are for the casual side and the fans, and not necessarily for the type of competitive combat that Injustice/Mortal Kombat typically incites.

As an aside, if they were to be included, unique dialogue for assists is something I definitely want to have.

Alright so thinking about assists, here it is my pitch of how they would work.

Each player can select 1 assist before the start of the match (or can also choice don't have anyone), for summon an assist you require an assist stock, each assist has a different amount of stocks that variates between 4 (can be used multiple times but their effects are weak) and 1 (can only be used once per match but their effects are great), playable characters can also be selectable has assists, thus allowing promote assists to playable characters in the future. I don't know if mirror assists should be a thing but if is then they could use a different look to the playable character.

The assists are divided in different classes depending of their effects, starting with the Strikers who are the ones who does an attack and then leaves, the Trappers who sets something in the stage before leave and the Helpers who provokes a status effect to the opponent or the player (including heal).

Maybe something troublesome that it would end being just something writted but that I don't think someone would actually do, but considering how this game would sell a lot for the interaction/fanservice factor then the assists could have some sort of interaction with the playable character too when they are summoned either talking with the one who summon them or the opponent like idk, for example using the idea of Lois Lane if Superman summons her they both would salutate each other but if she uses her attack against Superman would say something like "Sorry Clark".

So in synthesis:
  • Assists requires stocks to be summoned
  • Assists has 1 to 4 stocks depending of their strength
  • Playabe characters can be assists and viceversa
  • Assists are divided in three classes
    • Strikers (Attack)
    • Trapper (Set)
    • Helper (Status effect)
  • It would me implied that they has interactions with some characters.
Oh, and in the case of the jobs perse, maybe having between 2 or 4 winners per job so we can allow more ideas at the same time we end the assists slots quicker. In terms of the amount maybe like 30-ish????
This wasn't necessarily what I was thinking, but the idea in my head was also a lot simpler and less fleshed out. I like a lot of this, especially the three class system. Thumbs up

Edit: Whoop. I meant to post this before today's jobs. I honestly wasn't expecting them for another 20 minutes. I'll take this opportunity to lay first dibs on this nomination, though :3

I'm about to head out so I'll make a full post for later

Last edited:
Black Adam (Resubmission)
View attachment 357720
Black Adam is an anti-hero from DC comics made by Otto Binder & C. C. Beck and he is was used be an ancient Egyptian named Teth-Adam (Mighty human), but wizard named Shazam turned him into an antihero as it was shown in early comics.
During the beginning of 21st century, DC writers reimagined him as corrupted anti-hero who wants to clear his name and reputation.

Black Adam isn't popular as The Flash or Wonder Woman, but he still is known by many DC fans.

Black Adam's moveset would be similar to Superman (because of similar appearances), but he could use his magic as his weapon in fights.

I nominate Black Adam, because he would be cool candidate for DCEU rep and he would make sense for Marvel VS DC fighting game.
Also there's gonna be new DCEU movie based on Black Adam, where "The Rock" would star in as Black Adam himself.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Mr. Mxyzptlk

A thorn in Superman's side roughly once every three months, Mr. Mxyzptlk is a fifth dimensional imp who pops down to the third dimension in order to mess with the Big Blue Boy Scout with his powerful magic. His name might look like gibberish, but here's a guide on how to pronounce it, in the dulcet tones of Gilbert Gottfried.

To make his "games" more fun, he puts limitations on himself, where if he does something like say his name backwards ("Kltpzyxm", pronounced "kill-tip-zix-im"), he is sent back to the fifth dimension for 90 days.

While in the third dimension, he can basically do anything, though he'll mostly stick to shapeshifting and Looney Tunes-style antics (like summoning giant anvils over people's heads) to amuse himself and the audience (he'd freely admit that, with a fusion of Darkseid and Thanos being out to destroy/control all life, this game could use some more comedic relief).

Edit: Whoop. I meant to post this before today's jobs. I honestly wasn't expecting them for another 20 minutes. I'll take this opportunity to lay first dibs on this nomination, though :3
Sorry about that; my internet connection has been acting weird all morning (some sites load fine, while others, like Smashboards, don't work properly), so when I saw that Smashboards was working again, and that it was close enough to the time that I'd normally move on to the next day's jobs, I wanted to get this posted rather than wait 20 minutes only to find out that my connection was back to acting weird. I'll add Wonder Woman to Magneto's poll, though.

EDIT: I've changed the poll - it was 2-1 for Luthor previously, though if you voted in that one, make sure that you vote again in Magneto's new poll.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Spectre.jpg

Jim Corrigan was a tough cop until he was encased in cement and thrown into the river. Then he really got tough. He spirit refused to pass into the afterlife and was chosen to host the being known as the Spectre, the embodyment of God's vengeance. Jim was then sentenced to return to Earth for sixty years of punishing wrongdoings.

As the Spectre, Jim has access to near limitless mystic powers. Sometimes. As John Constantine once put it, sometimes he's the most powerful guy in creation, other times he's little more than a bloke in green shorts. Spectre served alongside the Justice Society of America during WWII and often intervenes in matters of cosmic proportion.

until he was murdered. Sent back to avenge his death, Jim became one with an all-powerful entity dedicated to vengeance and began declaring war on evil as the Spectre.

D

Deleted member

Change, change the form of man. Free the prince forever damned. Free the might from fleshy mire. Boil the blood in heart of fire. Gone, gone the form of man,

Rise the demon..

etrigan__transparent_background_by_gasa979_dcfn3ho-350t.png

Etrigan!
Jason Blood, a knight in King Arthur's Camelot was bound to the demon Etrigan by the Wizard Merlin. Cursed to wander the earth forever, Etrigan is often an ally to the heroes of Earth. He and Blood can swap in and out. He has claws, super strength and fire breath but has also been shown using Swords. Etrigan speaks in rhymes, which could lead to some fun interactions

Last edited by a moderator:

PinkFlare

Previously 1SecondNinja
Job 93: Magic DC Character
DOCTOR FATE
Alias: Nabu the Wise; Kent Nelson
First Appearance: More Fun Comics #55 (May, 1940)

Long ago, during the creation of the universe, and all life as we knew it, the ultimate lifeforms of the universe were birthed; The Lords of Order, and the Lords of Chaos. Since the beginning of time they have fought for control over one another, an infinite struggle for supremacy over the universe, in which the Lords of Chaos would use to incite the very chaos they uphold. Nabu, one of the Lords of Order, traveled to Earth during its ancient Egyptian period to fight this war.
Enter 1920. A young Kent Nelson is on an archeological expedition, when he suddenly discovers the tomb of an alive and well Nabu. Nabu grants Nelson the powers of the mystic arts, and through his training, and the artifacts gifted to him, Kent and Nabu together formed the agent of order, and the all-powerful, Doctor Fate. Nobody in the DC Universe comes close to his level of knowledge in magic, and Fate himself ranks as one of the most popular and well-known magical characters in their comics library.

Fate's power is granted through the use of three key artifacts: The Cloak of Destiny, the source of Fate's flight and superhuman strength, stamina and durability; The Amulet of Anubis, the source of Fate's magical abilities, and the gateway into a pocket dimension in which the souls of past Fates reside; and lastly, Helmet of Fate, through which Nabu's soul now resides; wearing this helmet merges the spirits of both the wearer and Nabu, creating the being known as Doctor Fate. With all three of these in place, the true extent of Fate's magical abilities are unlocked, and anything is possible with just a thought. From simple magic such as conjuring forcefields, magical energy blasts (through which the most powerful comes from the Amulet), and telekinesis, to more advanced and interesting abilities such as telepathy, hypnosis, intangibility, teleportation, and some ridiculously powerful abilities, including self-regeneration, the ability to manipulate size and matter, travel through time and cross dimensions, illusion casting, astral projection; and to top it all of, he is immortal. Basically, anything is possible through Fate's endless spell casting, and his moveset can quite literally be anything you can imagine. There are no unbound limits here.

Reasons for Inclusion: He's a big name in DC's magical catalogue, he has insanely limitless moveset potential, and he can act as a rival to Doctor Strange; Not to mention Fate is about to make his big screen debut in Black Adam, which will definitely send his popularity among DC characters flying and acts as another tie-in into the DCEU, if you're into that. Honestly, one way or another, Fate needs to be included; His importance to DC's magic lore and his status as a popular character is too significant to ignore.
This is shorter than what I wrote for Adam, but quite frankly, what else needs to be said? His inclusion on this roster is simply... Fate.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
The results of the assist poll had "no" winning, so they won't be included. We'll be using Infinity Sorcerer Infinity Sorcerer 's list of Joker costumes, Green Lantern's rival will be Captain Marvel, and Thor's rival will be Shazam!

This can be anyone in DC who uses magic (that we don't already have in the roster); here's a shortened list, and here's a more in-depth one. It's worth noting that the second list includes multiversal versions of the same characters, with characters that show up often in different media like Etrigan or Zatanna stretching the list out so that it gets quite long.
Ech, tons of great submissions already. I may as well toss in a wild card!

Character Name: Deadman
Character Origin: Strange Adventures #205 (Oct. 1967)

Boston Brand is a ghost. A walking Deadman, if you will. (okay thats enough of the cheesy stuff)

A prominent trapeze artist who died at the hands of the mysterious assassin known as The Hook, because it seems trapeze artists just can't catch a break in the DC universe, Brand found himself trapped between life and death - being gifted the power by Rama Kushna to obtain justice for his own murder. Discovering that he found helping people to be his true calling, Brand accepted his role - the man who intervines in the lives of mortals.

Whilst Deadman in general comics is imperceptible to humans without magical attunement, this case would have Deadman be corporeal. His main moveset is based less on active attack, and more on an intelligent manipulation of events in his favour. His intangibility does come into play - he's a lot more defensive, having effective dodges and the like. I also think he'd have a cool mechanic in the form of possession - adding mechanics such as being able to possess teammates and providing increased movement options and attack power, or being able to briefly possess enemies for wacky, character-specific mixups. He'd be a very, very unique inclusion at the very least.

homdertalia

Smash Cadet

I nominate a somewhat familiar magic user. He's a young magician with short black hair and glasses who was raised in the normal world before being whisked away into the magical world after learning of his mysterious heritage. I am of course talking about...

Timothy Hunter
Now contrary to what you might believe, Tim is not a Harry Potter rip-off. In fact, Timothy came first. We can delve into the conspiracies that J.K. Rowling stole the concept for Harry Potter from Books of Magic, but that's not what we're here for. We're here for funny Marvel vs. DC fighting game ****. Like I said before, Timothy was once just an ordinary boy living in the "Mundane World". That was before he learned that he was a conduit for a powerful form of magic known as "The Merlin", making him destined to become the most powerful sorcerer in the known universe. Since then he has appeared in many Vertigo stories, including meeting with DC's resident bisexual occult detective John Constantine. Tim's magical abilities are inconsistent throughout the comics. However, some of his more consistent abilities include dimensional travel, electrokinesis, energy constructs, telekinesis and transmutation, along with being able to summon a pet owl. This also wouldn't be his first foray into the world of fighting games, as he appeared as a prestige skin for Zatanna in the mobile version of Injustice: Gods Among Us.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
My submission would be a quite odd one.
Lucifer Morningstar, yeah that Lucifer, much like Constantine Lucifer was a character from Vertigo who started appearing in a different series (in his case it was Sandman), later on he gained a series of his own. Even if like other Vertigo characters he actually forms part of the DC Canon unlike Constantine his interactions with the rest of superheroes is near to non-existent, but it's true that he is a fairly popular character especially due his life-action adaption portrayed by Tom Ellis. I also think it would have a fairly interesing moveset and would maybe even have interesing interactions with characters like Dr. Strange considering the possibility to make both Marvel and DC's hells into one and say that they met each other before.

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Job 93:Dream

images (2).jpeg

Yes,a sandman rep on a fighting game,but continuing:

Dream is one of the seven endless and he is a lord and personification of all dreams. A lot of people know sandman because the Netflix original series and know that many pople will say "but sandman is not from DC",man,sandman is published by DC and sandman made part from DC uniserse.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
Talking about Vertigo, it's time for the moveset for John Constantine!
JOHN CONSTANTINE MOVESET
1660612146889.png
General Playstyle
Constantine is a character that relies mostly on dirt tricks and traps around the stage, he also has multiple zoning options with his spells.

Unique Ability - Little Backup
Constantine like some other fighters in the roster summons someone to help, in his case he calls different demons like his friend Etrigan who comes to help Constantine using different attacks depending of the direction. It has a cooldown between each summon.
  • Neutral: An imp-looking demon appears launching himself like a drill in Psycho Crusher fasion.
  • Right: Etrigan appears and shoots fire from his throat inflicting Ablaze to the opponents.
  • Left: A gargolye-like demon appears and flies to descend kicking the opponent like another demon from another game.
  • Down: Etrigan teleports from the air and stomps the opponent, if fails he stills makes some rocks flies with his geokinetic powers.

Lighter Blaze236 + X Constantine uses his lighter and smokes, quickly with his cigarrate launch a quick firering projectile that sets the opponents Ablaze, during this state they slowly less health (thought some of this health is mantained has grey health. Has a small detail if you taunt during this move Constantine would throw the cigarrete that does minimal damage like Dudley's Rose but that also inflicts Ablaze status to the opponents.
Taste of Hell214+ LConstantine conjures a curse that manifest has a black mist, if hits the opponent they became slower and receive more damage, the mist dissapears after a time but Constantine can accelerate the proccess using Lighter Blaze exploding the mist heavily damaging the opponent.
Spirit Ward214 + MConstantine creates a protection barrier that blocks the incoming projectiles and reduce the damage of the physical attacks.
Golem Creation214 + HConstantine invokes a Golem, sorta, it actually just summons an arm that grabs the opponent and punches them to the ground making the opponent bounce.
Drunk Trick623 + XConstantine throws away a bottle of whiskey, it works an overhead so can't be blocked crouching. The opponents are in a hidden oil-like status and if they are hitted by Lighter Blaze they enter in combustion and explode.
Here I Am421 + XConstantine starts to smoke in a pose similar to the startup of Lighter Blaze, if is hitted he quickly teleports behind the opponent to counterattack.
Smoking Bind63214 + XConstantine grabs the opponent and smokes in front of them, the dense smoke is cursed with a spell that binds the opponent's special moves and unique actions for a while.
Cursed Sigil22 + X Constantine conjures a sigil under his feets, if the opponent touchs the sigil their Super Meter starts to be drained.
Level 1 Super: Tornado of Souls
214214 + XConstantine cast a vortex of souls that attracts the opponents to the center of the attack while damaging them.
Level 2 Super:
Quit Hitting Yourself
236236 + XConstantine makes use of an oclumancy spell to make the opponent attack itself for a while. He throws a light projectile first, if it's blocked the attack does chip damage but don't activated the "attack youself" part.
Level 3 Super: Hellblazer
All Buttons PressedConstantine summons a huge magic circle, if the opponent is under the circle they are teleported to a cinematic attack where they are in a bar (thought it would be weird to do it in the Bar with No Name, maybe John didn't liked that bar that much so he teleported to another?), Constantine ends a bottle of whiskey that he uses after to slam it at the opponent's head, then slams them again to the table and opens a second portal where multiple demons comes to attack the opponent, then Constantine appears with his hands on fire to shoot a massive fire wave that burns all...just to reveal that it was all a trick of him and the camera shows the opponent scaried allucinating in the bar while Constantine smirks and ends his bottle; if the battle didn't finished yet he snaps and opens a new portal to go to the fight again dragging the opponent that recovers of the trauma.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Character Name: Vixen (Mari McCabe)
Character Origin: Action Comics #521 (July 1981)

1660636782661.png

Vixen is a long-standing superheroine (in fact, was planned to be the first African one to star in her own series) who is affiliated with multiple Justice League teams, using her magical power to mimic animal abilities.

Hailing from the fictional nation of Zambesi (which takes inspiration from different West African countries and folklores), Mari worked as a model and businesswoman in New York for a while before returning to her country and obtaining the mystical Tantu Totem, an artifact created by the god Anansi. This talisman allows Mari to properly use her innate ability to tap into The Red, a morphogenetic field that connects all life together. By using it, she became Vixen, a crime fighter who can use any skill the animal kingdom possess, even the extinct ones.

Injustice 2 had Vixen as a model swap for Cheetah, which shows off her agility, acrobatics, and sharp claws well but she has a lot more to work with. She can use poison of dart frogs, constricting power of anacondas for her grabs, and endurance of elephants to armor through attacks. She can even have a stance mechanic where some of her abilities are only available after she channels the energy of a specific animal.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Going by the polls, Ra's al Ghul will be Magneto's rival, while Loki will be the Joker's rival!

As for the magic nominees, here they are:

dc magic nominations.png

-Doctor Fate ( PinkFlare PinkFlare )
-Black Adam ( Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds )
-Mr. Mxyzptlk ( Megadoomer Megadoomer )
-The Spectre ( Oddball Oddball )
-Etrigan (@Darkonedagger)
-Deadman ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )
-Timothy Hunter ( homdertalia homdertalia )
-Lucifer Morningstar ( Infinity Sorcerer Infinity Sorcerer )
-Dream ( DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 )
-Vixen ( osby osby )

We'll do ranked voting, like usual; list your top three, and your own nomination can't be in first.

1. Black Adam
2. Vixen
3. Etrigan

Also, this explains why I'm not familiar with DC's magic side - I haven't read the Vertigo imprint, or even looked into it beyond knowing that it exists.

(also, thanks, Infinity Sorcerer Infinity Sorcerer , for doing a Constantine moveset - as I said before, my main familiarity with the character is through the (by my understanding) inaccurate Keanu Reeves movie, and all I could find online is "he's not great at magic, but he's good at tricking people", which wasn't much to build a moveset off of)

---

Job 94: nominate a magic user from Marvel

Same sort of idea as before; here's a shorter list of Marvel's magic users, and here's a more in-depth one. (though I don't know how accurate they are - one of the characters in the first list is Harry Osborn) Choices range from characters like Scarlet Witch, the Black Knight, Shuma-Gorath, Dormammu, Mephisto, or even Howard the Duck. (when I saw him on the list, I thought he might have used magic as a one-time thing, but apparently he had enough skill at it that even Doctor Strange recognized his potential)

1. Etrigan
2. Black Adam
3. Doctor Fate

Magic Marvel character submission:
Dormammu
Dormammu is an interdimensional entity who rules over the Dark Dimension and one of magic users from Marvel Comic series. He is a Faltine that lent his power to Kaecilius and his Zealots, who desired immortality, in exchange for them merging the Dark Dimension with Earth.
He appeared as playable fighter in Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3 and he is one of popular Marvel villains. Also he appeared in one of MCU's movies: Doctor Strange (2016).

His moveset could reference his abilities like telekinesis or even superstrengh.
He would even use his Dark Dimension magic as his arsenal for his moveset.

I think he would make sense as playable, since he appeared in UMvC3 game and he would be cool submission.

Top Bottom